Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

The journey to level 99 - how long does it take?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by TheSwag, May 3, 2013. | Replies: 13 | Views: 3712

1. TheSwag

TheSwag IncGamers Member

I've been hunting around on the interwebs and I cant really find any concrete data on how long it takes to reach level 99. I'm sure this is related to the way exp is granted in Diablo 2 having diminishing returns but I'm sure there is some hard data somewhere. Does anyone know roughly how long it takes? Not just a guess, please, like "well it took me 2 years" or "my buddy did it in 3 months and he was a really good player" I want some legit data!

thanks!

-The Swag
  2. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

3. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

I did that once. And it took me 4 weeks between 98 and 99.

So maybe 9-10 weeks? I know I was quite committed at the end.

EDIT: Oh, I also played like 7-10 hours a day back then.. Not a spoiled childhood!! I got to lvl 99 once! ;) Amazon to!
  4. Greizer

Greizer IncGamers Member

I could only barely bear (heh) the Baal runs to reach lvl 93. I salute the brave madness of the folks who actually make it to 99... Also, three lvl 99s? :crazyeyes: Perhaps in SP where you can play 1.09 and do Cows that'd be understandable - but in 1.13? Does he (or she, as it may be - although that'd make it twice as unlikely ;)) do anything else than play D2? Like eat or sleep maybe? :p
  5. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

he works too! :p

Umm, yeah it's all in 1.13 (and some progress in 1.12 ofc). Very impressive stuff. You may not have noticed he's going for one of each character class. . .
  6. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

I dont know that guy, and I dont mean to offend him, but there has to be something wrong (read; special) about him. If he can do that more then once, and planning on doing a total of 7!! characters! :)

Yeah, impressive idd! But imagine what someone could have done instead of the time Dia/Baal running! ;)

Peace and love
  7. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

I remember back in the days when I was very dedicated (never reached the "super" level) I reached lvl95.

Perhaps with a little more dedication, I'd be able to reach lvl97 or even 98, but constant baalruns with the sole purpose of only killing baal for the experience, I don't think I'll ever be ready for that ^^
  8. frozzzen

frozzzen IncGamers Member

It took me about 1.5 years to complete lvl 99 character with very casual approach. If I'd have to give you numbers, I'd say you would need anywhere 170 - 800 hours to get 1-99, depending on your build and amount of teamplay.

170 hours if when you are center of team and they leave you diablo/baal/nihilatak kills + hunt you XP shrines etc. For well geared and well played character that can do very fast baal/diablo/nihilatak runs I guess it would take ~250 hours, but if you want innovative builds, don't have access to 8 player games or solo XP, it can skyrocket upwards to 800h for sure.

I was playing single player, 8 players game settings, 2:20 average Baal run times or 1:45 Diablo runs times and it took me about 250 hours with mixing those two targets. Bear in mind I had no deaths and no XP losses so if you screw up and die, or just die due to lag, it can cost you up to ~400 Baalruns per death on lvl 98.

There is a lot more to this but this will give you rough idea of what it takes. It's not something anyone can do (people that can do it are broken in head, believe you me).
  9. Xuhao

Xuhao IncGamers Member

- never reached lvl 99 myself, but as i undestand it the most effective way is to rush to hell without doing the ancient quests. - This way you can do the ancients at lvl 98 shortly b4 reaching lvl 99 because the quest does not give diminishing xp.
  10. juju

juju IncGamers Member

I played some ladders ago hammer paladin to 96 ½ with only diaruns! Joined 8players games (baal etc) and killed dia fast and after that travi or shenk wp area if had time. Still haven't done ancients with that char :smug: Dia alone is good exp in 8playes game!
  11. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

Try 98 1/3! ;)

With an amazon, without teleport! :D
  12. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

Always pushing the edge of your limits :D

Did you die at lvl97 or 98? How did the decrease of your experience bar made you feel? :p
  13. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

Died? Ive not died since lvl 93 or 94! ;)

I got bored before 99 though! :nod:
  14. DjSlayer

DjSlayer IncGamers Member

I've played an untwinked hammer through to level 97 and died many times at high levels, mostly due to a faulty computer or lag and each time i got pissed, the worst was when i was about to reach 97 and the computer decides to crash in the throne room with only a single OK lord as an advesery. Ofc when I got online again my hammerdin was naked and i had lost a good chunk of the xp. This was a rule for a while tho until i found out that one of the hard drives was the culprit that made my computer crash.

- D.J.