Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The (Hopefully) Definitive TrenShadow Guide (1.00)

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by mattinm, Dec 27, 2009. | Replies: 102 | Views: 19840

1. mattinm

mattinm IncGamers Member

The (Hopefully) Definitive TrenShadow Guide (1.00)

Updated TrenShadow Guide (2.00)

This guide is intended as a consolidation of the TrenShadow installation and usage process, as well as explain breifly how TrenShadow works. If you notice anything missing or wrong, don't hesitate to post/PM me about it, and I'll attempt to make the appropriate change. Hopefully this guide can help a few people time-travel!

Table of Contents
    1. How does TrenShadow work?
    2. Where can I get TrenShadow?
    2a.) Personal Packages
    2b.) Official Releases
    3. Installing TrenShadow
    3a.) Normal installation
    3b.) Converting from multiple installation points
    4. Creating your own TrenShadow version folder
    5. Original TrenShadow potential problems
    6. Frequently Asked Questions
    6a.) Can I use pre-LoD folders?
    6b.) Can I create classic characters in older LoD versions?
    6c.) Can I run mods (e.g. RWM/RRM in 1.12a) with TrenShadow?
    6d.) Are pre-1.12a versions run-able with the Blizzard Downloadable installer?
    6e.) Is it necessary to copy the files for the Glide wrapper into each version folder in order to have them run in Glide mode?
    7. Feedback

1. How does TrenShadow work?

TrenShadow is a relatively simple Visual Basic script that first backs up the current game files (Game.exe, Patch_D2.mpq, and all .dll files). It then copies over those same files from the TrenShadow version. Once the files are replaced, TrenShadow changes a registry entry to point all Diablo II save files to the version folder instead of the main installation folder (e.g. Diablo II/1.09b/save instead of Diablo II/save).

Once the last instance of TrenShadow is closed, all settings are reverted. This means that you can run your current version as you normally would.

2. Where can I get TrenShadow

2a.) Personal Packages
    I have modified the TrenShadow script slightly (with the blessing of TrenShadow himself) to both increase functionality, decrease the risk of corrupting your main Diablo II installation, simplify running multiple instances, and allow the user the choice of not displaying the default popups.

You can find all my repackaged versions (and the updated LaunchModGame.vbs script) in the 'Files' section of the forum: here.

2b.) Official TrenShadow Packages
    All official packages can be find here. Note: These files end in .zzz; simply rename them to .zip and they will act as a normal zip archive.

Warning: The information contained in this guide assumes you are using the updated version of LaunchModGame.vbs as linked to in [2a].

3. Installing TrenShadow

3a.) Normal Installation
    Windows Vista/7 Compatibility Note
    I recommend changing your main installation Game.exe (e.g. Diablo II/Game.exe) compatibility settings as shown in this pic. I've ran into missing .dll and visual issues when running older patches, and these are the settings that I have found to work on four separate computers.

/END compatibility section

Download and unzip a version folder from section (2). Throughout the guide I will refer to version 1.07 for simplicity; simply replace with your downloaded version as needed.

Copy the folder into you main Diablo II installation pic. Create a shortcut of LaunchModGame.vbs on your desktop pic. Now, rename the shortcut (e.g. Diablo II - 1.07).

Now, right click the shortcut and select "Properties". In the "Shortcut" tab, ensure that the "Target" and "Start In" lines correctly match the location of the version folder pic. You can add any Diablo II flags to the end of the "Target" line (e.g. -w -3dfx -direct -txt) as well as -noprompt to stop the TrenShadow popups pic.

If you want, you can also change the icon to the Diablo II icon. First, click "Change Icon..." pic, then "Browse..." pic, select your Diablo II.exe file, and say "OK".

Note: Running versions prior to 1.12a requires the CD to be in the drive. If nothing appears to happen when running TrenShadow, double-check the CD is in the drive, as there will be no notice as to why it didn't work.

3b.) Converting from a low-tech installation using multiple installation points
    Make sure the current patch is in your working Diablo II directory (e.g. C:/Program Files/Diablo II). Download the corresponding version folder from section (2) for the version(s) you wish to run and install them as explained above.

Now, simply copy over your "save" folder(s) from the other Diablo II installation into the corresponding TrenShadow version folder(s) and all your characters should be accessible. I'd recommend testing before deleting my old installations however :p.

4. Creating your own TrenShadow folder

This should be unnecessary, as I've released all version folders above. To create your own version folder, you will need LaunchModGame.vbs and RecoverFromCrash.vbs (see section [2]).

Copy the following files, along with the two .vbs files above, from the version of Diablo II you which to replicate:
    Code:
    *Note: If you downloaded my folder versions, they do not contain these files,
           as the files don't appear to change between patches. Simply copy these
           from your main installation point.

binkw32.dll
    Bnclient.dll
    D2Client.dll
    D2CMP.dll
    D2Common.dll
    D2DDraw.dll
    D2Direct3D.dll
    D2Game.dll
    D2Gdi.dll
    D2gfx.dll
    D2Glide.dll
    D2Lang.dll
    D2Launch.dll
    D2MCPClient.dll
    D2Multi.dll
    D2Net.dll
    D2sound.dll
    D2Win.dll
    Fog.dll
    Game.exe
    ijl11.dll *
    Storm.dll
    SmackW32.dll *
    Patch_D2.mpq

5. Original TrenShadow potential problems

Note: Using my modified version of TrenShadow alleviates the concerns below. As such, I highly recommend using the updated version of TrenShadow, as packaged in my version folders.

When running multiple instances using the original TrenShadow, one had to make sure to close the very first instance *last*. Otherwise, the save folder, and perhaps even all the *.dll and patch_d2.mpq files, would revert to their old settings, causing all sorts of problems. I have lost my original Game.exe as well as saving characters into the wrong folder because of this issue.

6. Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Can I use pre-LoD folders?
    A: Absolutely! In fact, I've bundled together all of them in section (2) for you consumption.

Q: Can I create classic characters in older LoD versions?
    A: Yep! Simply un-tick the []Expansion setting on character creation, just as you would in the current patch. Just don't try this with an Assassin or Druid or you could be there for a while :p.

Q: Can I run mods (e.g. RWM/RRM in 1.12a) with TrenShadow?
    A: Certainly! Simply copy the data folder from the mod (e.g. Runewords/data pic) and paste it into your version folder (e.g. Diablo II/1.12a/data pic). Now, make sure to add -direct -txt to the end of your shortcut pic and you'll be good to go!

Q: Are pre-1.12a versions run-able with the Blizzard Downloadable installer?
    A: Unfortunately not. To run versions prior to 1.12a, when the no-cd feature was introduced, you must have a copy of the Diablo II/LoD (for Classic/LoD, respectively) in order to play pre-1.12a versions.

Q: Is it necessary to copy the files for the Glide wrapper into each version folder in order to have them run in Glide mode?
    A: Nope. You only need the Glide Wrapper files to be in the main installation point (e.g. C:\Program Files\Diablo II). Because the version files are copied into this location by TrenShadow when ran, it will automatically locate the glide3x.dll, as well as the settings to use Glide.

7. Feedback
    Hopefully this will help newcomers and first-time time-travellers to use multiple version of Diablo II. If there is anything unclear, simply post here or PM me and I'll be glad to clear things up.

Good luck!
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  2. Pijus

Pijus IncGamers Member

Re: The (Hopefully) Definitive TrenShadow Guide (1.00)

This is awesome!

1.09 HF rush, here I come!
  3. ioupainmax

ioupainmax IncGamers Member

Awesome, I'm sure this will help a lot of people and prevent thread spammage (yeah ... I'm guilty of this - sorry)

I'm guessing this is going to be stickied very soon and rightly so - it is much needed.

EDIT: I don't know the forum stance on having an ISO to make version switching less cumbersome - especially if you only have one CD/DVD drive like me. This might be a good addition as I know that you have one for this purpose alone. I tried to make one with PowerISO but for some reason it didn't work, I must be doing it wrong. Can any mods chime in on this? Feel free to delete this bit of my post if it's against forum rules. The reason I mention this is, because I think it is possible to contact blizzard and download the game as long as you have a valid CD-Key. I haven't done this, so I'm not sure what format it is downloaded in.
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  4. nubikoen

nubikoen IncGamers Member

Great guide!
    Enough info to give some insight as to what's going on, yet simple and to the point.

Now, anyone care to do a Vista special? ;)
    It works just fine on my XP Machine, but not so much on my Vista one.
  5. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

I guess you can disregard my pm now. :thumbup:

+1
  6. mattinm

mattinm IncGamers Member

I use an ISO file on my netbook to run multiple LoD versions, because hauling around a portable drive is just not practical. I think I burned mine with ImgBurn, but I'm not 100% on this. I can't imagine it being against the rules, however, discussing any method of illegally obtaining ISO's most definitely would be. As for the download, it's an executable that installs LoD with the latest patch.

And thanks for the spelling catch :)

That's quite odd, really. I've got mine running in Vista x64. However, I run with UAC (User Access Controls) off, and that might make a difference. The Linux user in me hates me for turning UAC off, but, imho, Windows is riddled with enough holes that I'm not too concerned about another one. I wouldn't really recommend turning it off, because it is a security feature, and one you'll have to decided to use/not use yourself.

:p... I was just about to link you to this :D

7. ioupainmax

Ok, I will try that out, does the program do everything itself or must I do something extra?

I spoke with a mod and they said that burning an ISO Image of a legit CD is fine, so that you don't damage your original. As well as the fact that Blizzard put a no CD patch out themselves so it seems they are ok with it (CDs don't last forever!)

8. mattinm

mattinm IncGamers Member

Yeah, the program is extremely intuitive. I don't really want to get into the specifics of how to mount it though, at least without mod approval. I'll send a PM asking them if I can add a small section for the creation of an ISO file from legit discs as it is definitely faster/less noisy than having a physical disc, and, as you said, saves the disc from wear and tear.

It's just a shame that I've had no success making a mini-image. I've been able to find a legit way in most of my games which saves incredible amounts of space.

9. Pijus

Pijus IncGamers Member

@Mattinm: That thing I PM'ed you about yesterday. You should put the explanation in the guide :)
  10. mattinm

mattinm IncGamers Member

Done :D. I added it to the beginning of the installation section. Let me know if it's unclear, but I think it explains how to convert and the potential problems well enough.

11. Ragnarod

Ragnarod DiabloII.Net Pal

Thanks for taking the time to write this guide mattinm! I've been thinking about reinstalling to get the beta files for a while but never came around to doing it, if you're allowed to post them it would save me some trouble :)

And just a small nitpick: you mention pre-LoD folders being available in the link at the start of the guide, but they're not (just .07, .09 and 1.10), they can be found in the dii.net ATMA website though. And you might want to mention the .zzz files should be renamed to .zip before extracting them too, saw a post about it the other day and your guide is meant for beginners after all :)
  12. ioupainmax

Ahem ... yeah ... that was me. :whistling:

I'm still having trouble figuring out if the 1.10a version I have *is* actually 1.10a - it doesn't have an 'a' by it, but I got it from the only place I could find it, which was your site mattinm.

Does anyone who has this running have '1.10a' listed on their title screen?

EDIT: Never mind, I figure it is 1.10a even though it just says 1.10 as there are some links in the menu missing to get onto battle.net. Obviously the final version has these links.

13. mattinm

mattinm IncGamers Member

Thanks for reminding me about that! I actually pointed to the old ATMA site first, then changed to the updated site. I'll update the Q&A and also tell people to rename the .zzz files.

14. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Great work. Added to the Stickies. :)
  15. CdMagicFind

CdMagicFind IncGamers Member

I didn't read the comments but it's really unlikely that my post overlaps.

Sorry for being a bit OCD but "TrenShadow works by backing up the game files (*.dll, Game.exe, Patch_D2.mpq), then it copies over the same files from another version" doesn't seem to be proper grammerz. They're two independent clauses. "TrenShadow works by backing up the game files (*.dll, Game.exe, Patch_D2.mpq) and then copying over the same files from another version" sounds good to me.
  16. mattinm

mattinm IncGamers Member

Thanks!

Yeah, I'm usually a grammar freak too. That's one of the sections I wrote kind of hastily. Thanks for catching that. It's cleaned up now.

17. Jason Maher

Jason Maher IncGamers Member

Bumpity bump. Just wondering if there is any way to get rid of the nag boxes about creating .bin files and running in windowed mode?
  18. mattinm

mattinm IncGamers Member

Not natively. I do, however, have a self-modified version of LaunchModGame.vbs which allows this, as well as passing command-lines directly through to D2.

Warning: These have not been verified by mods. I'm sending for approval right now. It's a small addition to TrenShadow, as well as the standard offset change for the 1.13b D2gfx.dll.

TrenShadow: Download - Usage: Simply replace your LaunchModGame.vbs with this (after cutting off the _mattinm from the name) and add "-noprompt" [without the quotes] to your shortcut as you would for passing parameters to D2. You can also pass D2 specific parameters (-ns, -3dfx, etc.) directly through the shortcut.

Modified 1.13b D2gfx.dll: Download - Usage: Simply cut off the _1.13b and copy to your D2 folder. I recommend backing up the original 1.13b D2gfx.dll just in case.

19. Jason Maher

Jason Maher IncGamers Member

Thanks a lot! :D Vista ticks me off enough with it's endless prompts. I didn't need it from D2 as well. ;)

I take it if I'm running the version switcher, I don't need to use the modified .dll to run multiple instances?
  20. mattinm

mattinm IncGamers Member

If you wanna run multiple instances, you'll still have to use the modified .dll. You just replace the D2gfx.dll in the mod folder with the version the mod is (in this case 1.13b). TrenShadow just handles all the copy/paste and registry trickeration. It's best to think of each TrenShadow as a whole install on it's own :).