Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The "Homage to the desert mercenary" Tournament

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by newco, Jan 30, 2006. | Replies: 144 | Views: 8530

1. newco

newco IncGamers Member

The "Homage to the desert mercenary" Tournament

Durga stood by the fireplace of the rouge encampment and scratched his head. It has had been month ago when he had been hired by Warriv to protect the caravan while travelling from Lut Ghoulein to some cloister in the west. It has been an easy journey with no mayor troubles involved, at least no troubles which could not been solved with a quick jab from his polearm. But when they reached the cloister, suddenly everything seemed to go wrong. It was as if the gates of hell had opened. Durga glanced over the body of a nearby rouge. Hmmmm .... maybe the gods wanted to punish them for indecent clothing? Not that he had any problems with indecent clothing, as matter of fact he had grown rather fond of it over the last weeks. But the weather started to nag on his nerves, and he missed the sand and his old dinking buddy Geglash. There had been some efforts to solve the problems in the cloister. In fact a lot of do-gooders appeared to solve the problem, but unfortunately it seems as if nobody has succeeded yet. Damn! He was still stranded, it rains constantly and he had the impression that the monsters are closing in. To make it worse, even his good old polearm has broken. Never the less he had the feeling that if he doesn't solve the problem himself he would be stranded in this bloody rain forever. So with a sigh he moved out of the camp to see if he could find his way back home.

rules:
    1. HC only

2. Paladin only

3. no shopping. Use what you find.

4. you can repair items

5. you can gamble items

6. you have to use spears or polearms (until you find the first one use your fists, no shield permitted)

7. no blessed hammer, charge, FoH or smite (obviously)

8. zeal, sacrifice and vengeance are permitted

9. as soon as you reach normal act 2 you might use the blessed aim, defiance or prayer aura

10. as soon as you reach nightmare act 2 you might use the might, thorns or holy freeze aura

11. no other auras are permitted except of the use as synergy

12. all quest rewards might be used (the act 5 pala shield has to be sold)

13. no mercs are allowed, except of the act 1 "quest reward" merc (after all it is a hard life out there in the wilderness, to hard to be alone all the time). But you have to use the "quest reward", no hiring permitted.

14. all quest have to solved before moving to the next difficulty (imbue, socket etc.)

15. all wp's must be found

16. the tournament ends after the people lose interest, people are dead or we have a winner

17. RWM and RRM are permitted

Scoring:
    -1 point for each level gained.
    1 point for each WP found (towns included).
    2 points for each quest completed (for scoring purposes, quest box must be turned gray to get points… if you save your imbue, for example, you don’t get points until you redeem it...and if you die first, you never get the points).

GO

SCORE: 0
    Durga
    level 1 = -1
    quests 0 = 0
    wp's 1 = 1
  2. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

Looks pretty interesting, but I have too many tourney characters.

Minor point: you should allow javelins as well, since act 2 mercs can use them. No throwing and no shield allowed, of course.
  3. newco

newco IncGamers Member

hmmm ... you are right.

Javellins are allowed. No throwing and no shield
  4. nepeta

nepeta IncGamers Member

I think it would be nice if you allowed but the headgear, armour and weapon slots to be used, for that's all the mercs have too.

I think I'll give it a shot. No experience with HC, so any WP beyond the Cold plains will be magic to me :p I'll post my char later.
  5. SkaMan

SkaMan IncGamers Member

Keep in mind that although A2 mercs can only use armour/helm/weapon, they also get passive bonuses to resists, AR etc, which a your character will not be getting. The jewellery/belt/gloves/boots slots would compensate for this. A compromise could be only allowing weapon/helm/armour, plus say jewellery and belt (pots are useful!).
    Then again, it's newco's tourny :)
  6. DementiaMaster

DementiaMaster IncGamers Member

First off, you're welcome since I gave you the idea. Secondly, I think that Imbue and Personalization should be considered 'Completed' when you are offered the opportunity. I usually never do it unless I find an Elite item in the Pits. Just suggestions.
  7. asdfgah

asdfgah IncGamers Member

As I said I liked this idea but unfortunately I don't have time for tournaments so I've already started my mercenary pala (called azrael :wink3: ), playing by my own rules. :undecided:
  8. nepeta

nepeta IncGamers Member

Entry:

Ahsab

level 1 = -1
    quests 0 = 0
    wp's 1 = 1
  9. asdfgah

asdfgah IncGamers Member

Screw that! I'm making time for it :grin:

(making new merc)

Azrael

level 1 = -1
    quests 0 = 0
    wp's 1 = 1

Are you allowed to switch between the auras or do you have to stick to one?
  10. newco

newco IncGamers Member

Ups ... sorry. I knew that somthing was missing :wink3: . The credit for the tournament concept goes to DementiaMaster :thumbsup: .

As for rings and amu's ... with no do-gooder running around greedily picking up all the shiny stuff it is up to you to use them. After all you have got a neck and fingers (the same applies for hands and feet)

As for the belt. There will be a lady around you, so use a belt to asure that your trousers are up :grin: .

rule update:

18. if you start a new difficuly level you can not rerun the previous difficulty

You are allowed to switch between the permitted auras
  11. asdfgah

asdfgah IncGamers Member

One point?
    are you allowed to put skillpoints into the holy freeze synergies?

Why do you have to complete this quest? IMO just killing blood raven should be ok as for completing the quest.

Cheesy! :rant:

Merc's can't equip them so I don't think they should be allowed..

Since there is a mercenary tournament:
    You aren't allowed to use any shrines exept for wells. What do you guys think?
  12. newco

newco IncGamers Member

8. up to 20 points per skill.

11. you can spend as may points in synergies as you like

13. act 1 normal: you kill Bloodraven, you talk to Kashya, you recieve your merc. It is a bit of a gamble wether it will be fire or ice. But after all it is a reward :smiley: . You can resurect her but you are not permitted to hire a different type.
  13. adny

adny IncGamers Member

OK, I'll join here too.

Chalan

level 1 = -1
    quests 0 = 0
    wp's 1 = 1
  14. Sidhe

Sidhe IncGamers Member

Sounds interesting, might give it a try, but i have a few questions first.

- Why is it "-1" for every level gained? You're meant to beat the game as low as possible or something?
    - Shopping is prohibited for the char itself, but can the Merc buy pressies for his girl?
    - And what are the final rules about the gear? It's a bit confusing with all the extra pointers from other forumites.
    - Charms, etc are allowed still?

Sorry for the Q's :embarassed:
  15. asdfgah

asdfgah IncGamers Member

A minor update while I'm at it.

SCORE: -1 :cry:
    level 5 = -5
    quests 1 = 2
    wp's 2 = 2

OK but are you allowed to SELL items?

ps. please answer my other questions :rolleyes:
  16. adny

adny IncGamers Member

does this include +to skills?
  17. newco

newco IncGamers Member

the -1 per level seemes to work fine in the other tournaments. And the Guardian with the lowest level will be the winner.

No shopping. If you want to be nice to your girl, pick her some flowers in the blood moor :flowers: .

Charms are permitted

As for the equipment:
    Keep in mind that there will be no shield. Ever played an shieldless Pala in Hell? Well ... than you know what i am talking about. Remenber you will be a melee char. And i dont want to end this Tournament in early NM.
    rings, amus, boots, belts, gloves are allowed

as for shrines ... they are there, it is up to you if you use them

you can sell items

20 hard-points might be placed per skill. If you find + skill items they will be on top
  18. Hurtmeister

Hurtmeister IncGamers Member

Just ignore this post, wont have that much time to play whis week due to school etc :/
  19. Sint Nikolaas

Sint Nikolaas IncGamers Member

You could take credit for it... but the idea was around a lot longer. Noone actually went with it because you can just make a weaker Freezadin. IIRC the last time this idea was suggested for a tourny, it was postponed because there wasn't enough interest.

oh, edit: you do know that you can also get an act 3 merc ''by quest reward'' ?
  20. Sidhe

Sidhe IncGamers Member

But you still have to hire the Act 3 Merc, right? At reduced cost, or something. Never had an Act 3 Merc, so far, soi'm not sure. But i thought the Act 1 was the only free one.