Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

The Griswold Solo Uber Smiter

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by finalcountdown, Feb 26, 2011. | Replies: 5 | Views: 5613

1. finalcountdown

finalcountdown IncGamers Member

The Griswold Solo Uber Smiter

I'm new to the forum and haven't seen much in the way of guides for a Griswold Pally other than the typical FoH'er. This is my exact build of my lvl 87 Griswold Pally "HolyRanger" US East Nonladder. So, I'm gonna take a shot at it, please comment and I appreciate the criticism. :thumbup:

For starters this build is so simple and effective for taking down the big 3 solo I'd suggest it over most any other build, and the best part is it doesn't require godly gear. The set itself isn't overwhelmingly impressive, however the 12 open sockets make it both versatile and immensely useful. I've ran solo with this build countless times and it's never taken over 3 minutes to wipe out Uber Trist. I personally love this build because there is no prebuffing, (other than BC and BO) no changing weapons to cast life tap, heck you don't even have to change auras, ever! It's simple, streamlined and very effective.

This is Not a one point smiter. He is able to do any area of PvM with ease. Though he could be built as a one point smiter I prefer the extra damage you receive from maxing smite.

Skills:
    Holyshield - Max. Increases smite, defense, and max block
    Smite - Max. Increased damage and stun
    Zeal - 1 point. I use it as crowd control in other PvM situations. Always a useful skill
    Fanatacism - Max. you won't need any other active aura, brings you to max speed attack with no other IAS needed. Not to mention a huge boost to damage.
    Total Points (7 in prereqs) 68 Total. That means your bare bones build is finished at clvl 56 with the 12 points from skill quests.
    With the additional points feel free to add where you want. I chose to invest in fire and lite resist (every 2 points you add increases your max res 1, +skill items do not add in)
    Fire Res- 10 pts
    Lite Res - 20 pts

Stats:
    Strength - Enough to wear gear
    Dexterity - Enough for max block with Holy Shield on
    Vitality - Everything else
    Energy - Don't even scroll over it; None

Now onto the gear. Gear is very simple, and of course uses all 4 pieces of Griswold's set;

Griswold's full set bonus - +3 Pally skills, 30% FHR, +200 to AR, +20 strength, +30 dex, +150 to life, +50 resist all.

Helm- Griswold's Valor. 2os, cold absorb, +2 off auras (set bonus)

Armor- Griswold's Heart. 3os, +20 strength

Shield- Griswold's Honor. 3os, 35 resist all, and 65% faster block rate

Weapon- Griswold's Redemption. 3-4os. shoot for the 4os as the extra socket will come in quite handy, 40% IAS, +2 combat skills (set bonus)

Gloves- Dracul's Grasp. Pretty self-explanatory, CtC lifetap is very useful and needed to keep your bulb full when mobbed and the +15 strength is nice too

Boots- Gore Riders. 15% crushing blow perfect for the build. You could also use waterwalks for the life bonus but the CB mod will be missed a lot.

Belt- T'god's belt offers 10% max light res along with 20 light sorb and strength and life mods. Makes dealing with Meph's aura much easier and the other mods are just extra gravy.

Rings- Ravenfrost and Bul-Kathos. RF is needed for the cannot be frozen mod. BK can be subbed out for a dual leech or sorb ring such as wisp or dwarf.
    Ammy- mara's, the +Res is very handy especially when facing Mephisto's conviction Aura

Weapon Switch - any Call to Arms and +skill shield

Stash- Anni is of course nice to have, and i do not use a torch as it's not needed and makes it easier to just pick up and go the torch drop. Other than that I have a one large charm with 15 resists but no other charms are really needed.

Now, you have 12 open sockets, what ever should you do with them? With relatively low damage you could hack and slash all day and make little progress and the solution: socket Gris Caddy with 4 bers. This will give you 80% Crushing Blow! Paired with the 15% from Gores and you find yourself easily hitting the max Crushing Blow at 95%. With the remaining sockets Um the Helm and Armor and use Pdiamonds in the shield. This gives a whopping 182 to your resistances and could be further increased by socketing the shield with 3x Um instead of diamonds. After Meph's conviction aura you will still be left with over 70 on all resists and over 80 lite res.

As far as strategy goes, because of his build you can deal with the 3 in any order really. I have even taken on all 3 at the same time many a times and while it's not as easy it's still very doable. I would suggest however running straight west and then heading down and over until Mephisto appears and take him out quickly and next heading over and taking out Baal and then finally Big D will fall very easily.

Hope my guide was helpful and I hope to see a bunch of glowing Paladins, and if there was anything I omitted feel free to let me know and please comment and I always appreciate CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. :wave:
  2. Neavo

Neavo IncGamers Member

Re: The Griswold Solo Uber Smiter

I know this post is over a year old, but I feel the necessity to share my adventure with you.
    First off, this was the first time ive ubered the trio, however, i went into it with the mentality of not
    leaving until ive finished it. I had two smiter sets i was going to test out, the first was of course griswolds
    set, with 3x 40ed 15ias and a zod in the weapon (kept breaking on me so thats why the zod), 2x 40ed 15 max damage
    in the helm, perfect poison die facet, 40 ed 15 max jewel and one more 30 ed jewel in chest peice, and open sockets in
    shield. effective 360 ed in weapon, 80 ed in helm, 70 ed in chest peice. smite does 1.9k with one point put into it (full zeal however).
    The second setup was 366/33 IAS griefpb, perfect archonplate fort, and exile (16 def, 45 res ebugged EV)
    1.5k smite with that setup.
    Full resistences on both, and both used CTA 3bo/3 holyshield war scepter with spirit monarch (stats dont matter, just used it for skills).
    at first, i used gris set went and killed all key ubers (izzy, lillith, duriel) no problem whatsoever (merc died, he was usin CoH,
    vamp gaze, insight) after that, i grabbed my balls and made uber tristram. I figured now would be a good time to don the uber smite gear every1 told me i should wear, equipped fort, griefpb, and exile, rezzed my merc, did my shouts and called it good. So I walk into tristram like a bawss, immediately see mephisto and im like.... hes first. walk up to him, smack him a couple of times find myself dead somehow..... then i realized there's about 200 demons that want a peice of me, im like wtf. So get my body and go at it again, i last a bit longer this time (mercs dead already) switchin between zeal and smite to fill mana bar and find myself dead again because apparently mephisto likes dropping my resistences to -28. so i grab my body again, TP back to town to get merc, do shouts, and i don gris set. walk into tristram, mephisto isnt there anymore, but diablo is, so i go up and smack him and hes not actually much of a threat, goes down pretty easily and i move on to baal, and chase his teleportin *** all over the place until i render him lifeless. Now im thinking, its your time mephisto, Imma end you. so i go up, mephisto drops my resistences, and i just keep smacking him, my health wavers a bit, but pretty much stays full thanks to lifetap (draculs) and i get a torch and some standard of heroes (which after hours of research have returned exactly nothing as to its use). I didnt have 4 bers for crushing blow, i wasted em on nigmas, but thanks to your guide gave me the confidence to walk into tristram wearing a set, thank you.

-Neavo
  3. PatBateman

PatBateman IncGamers Member

Neavo I feel I should tell you (being that you posted recently) that as far as I am aware, the ed/max bug has not been fixed and therefore you should NOT put these jewels into anything other than a weapon (a well known bug in the game means that any jewel with enhanced damage *as well as* any min/max damage will not add the correct damage if placed in helms/armours/shields - it suffers a penalty). You can put these jewels in weapons and you will receive the full benefit. For armours/helms/shields use EITHER ed OR max/min for best results - at least until the bug is fixed, which I very much doubt will ever happen.
    But, saying that, +min/max damage ANYWHERE will NOT work with Smite. +ed will, but only on non-weapon. If you are rich enough you could slap some ed/ias jewels into the non-weapon slots, rather than ed/min/max. Then again I'm not entirely sure how Smite derives its attack speed (whether from weapon only etc).

Regarding the bug, see this thread:

http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?767322-Bug-on-ED-Max-DMG-Jewel

The Ubers are demons, correct? If so, maybe swap out these VERY expensive jewels for very cheap +%dmg to demon / max/min dmg, as these do not seem to be subject to the same bug. I am of course thinking about Zeal here (finishing them off after Crushing Blow has softened them up):

http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/...evisiting-the-Off-Weapon-ED-Min-Max-Jewel-Bug

Being that Mephisto is messing with your res, I would suggest some nice +25-30 light res rare jewels with other mods - or just Ums to bring the whole lot up to scratch.

But... your second setup (the conventional one) is superior and shouldn't give you any problems. Just equip a few 11 light res SCs and you are set. The +xxx dmg from Grief is one of the few things to work with Smite and as long as it's a PB we're happy. I personally wouldn't bother rezzing the Merc for further Tristram runs tho - he is a dead man in there and could well stir up lots of summonlings with his erratic walking and jabbing.

If you like a challenge as far as Uber Tris goes, search Google for "poorman takes on uber tristram". Looks like a lot of fun and a smart approach too! A bone wand and open wounds... :)

-PB
  4. soryusen

soryusen IncGamers Member

Quite late on the subject, but... I have not troubles solo-ing ubers with:

guillemes helm
    grief pb + upped zakarum // cta+pala spirit on switch
    CoH
    Highlords
    draculs
    t.god
    gore riders
    raven + bk

mephisto dies in ~10 sec, at first i switch to salvation aura(1 pointer), till i get the lifetap up and to negate a bit on his conv aura.

It kinda bugs me that no1 else in the previous posts mentioned the salvation aura... saves too damn much actually :D
    Just my 2 cents tho :)
  5. PatBateman

PatBateman IncGamers Member

Soryusen,

Yes - that is the ideal setup that you have there. Zaka works as well as Exile. I prefer Exile for the extra defense and the increased CtC lifetap but there isn't much between the two shields.
    I would normally use a dual leech ring or a wisp projector in place of the BK but it doesn't change all that much.
    Salvation, as far as I recall, is essential up until the point that Mephisto is slain.
    OFC, if you can be bothered, having a Treachery in your stash and activating Fade in the fire before swapping back to your primary armour can make the run a whole lot safer.
  6. soryusen

soryusen IncGamers Member

Well, i thought about LL rings, but i just dont find em relevant factor, esp once Life Tap activates.

As for Exile - never had it, so i cant really say if its better than zaka, or worse.. I just like the mods on the zaka much better.
    About the treachery, i think meph will die at about the same time fade is activated.

I've soloed about 10 tristrams (dont need more torches xD ), biggest loss was 2 full rejuvs, never died once. We'll see now that the ladder is reset, how things will go :)