Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Golem-mancer Tournament

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Quickdeath, Jan 29, 2007. | Replies: 255 | Views: 22372

1. Quickdeath

Quickdeath IncGamers Member

What to do with my 1,000th post on the SPF? Well with the Enchantress Tournament running out of steam, I thought that launching another, similarly-themed tournament, might be fun.

I've been intrigued by the underpowered Golem skills and would like to see how far the SP Forum (and I) can take a Golem-mancer. The rules will be very liberal for this tournament to give us the best chance of Pat-ing a Golem-mancer. In particular, the tournament will be SC and deaths will be allowed. I want to give players the chance to learn the character and take him as far as possible.

Characters & gameplay

* Characters may be SC. A SC death does not disqualify the character from further participation, but the number of deaths should be reported as part of the scoring.
    * Players can use version 1.10 or 1.11
    * Red Rune Mod (RRM), and Runeword Mod (RWM) may be used.
    * Any /players setting is allowed, and may be changed at will.
    * Any merc may be used, and may be changed at will.
    * Areas may be rerun if desired.
    * Players are not required to find each WP nor complete each quest. Make progress as best you can.
    * Play is untwinked. ATMA may be used as an infinite stash.

* Players must play a Necromancer. Of the first 60 skill points invested in the character (by character level 52-54), 30 of the skill points must be invested in Golem Skills. Golem Skills are:
    - Golem Mastery
    - Clay Golem
    - Blood Golem
    - Iron Golem
    - Fire Golem
    * No more than 1 skill point may be invested in Raise Skeleton.
    * Other than these two rules, there are no restrictions on skill placement for your Golem-Mancer.

Scoring
    * 4 points for completing Normal Act,
    * 6 points for copmpleting each Nightmare Act
    * 10 points for copmpleting each Act in Hell Difficulty
    * 100 points is maximum.
    * Winner will be the player whose Golem-Mancer progresses the further. In the event of a tie, the player with the fewest deaths will be the winner.

Other than bragging rights, there is no prize for winning.

Sounds simple, doesn't it? It should be fun to compare the success of different skills strategies. Which Golem or Golems will you go with? What Curses will you invest more than one point in? IM? Decrepify? Life Tap? Confuse? Attarct? What other skills? CE, probably, but will you try for some Bone Spear/Spirit or a Poison Skill to speed the killing? How about a Bone Wall? Or Skeleton Mages? Revives?

Let the Parade of Golems begin!
  2. IRoK

IRoK IncGamers Member

Sounds like fun. I'll join up most definately.

Could you start a chart or something?
  3. Morathi

Morathi IncGamers Member

i would join but the green with envy tournament is really fun. So i will pass.

plus there is like 10000 tournaments atm.
  4. YoungDbl

YoungDbl IncGamers Member

Im in and starting right now.
  5. CodyIsHoid

CodyIsHoid IncGamers Member

I am in

Code:
    Account Name             Character Name              Act/Difficulty     Points
    Hoid                     Rocky                       I-Normal           0
  6. Timinator

Timinator IncGamers Member

for those who have never tried I can give some basic advice. Since the skills all synergise you can easily try one of each golem as you go. I have a guy (start of act 2 hell now) level 68, however he has been "finding a use for my spare IK mauls" Don't try to run too far ahead or sometimes they will just die, if you get a good iron golem and you want to keep it around make sure to go to town to "heal it" if its health gets in the red.

Personally I avoided CE with mine as most necros use CE and like the idea of this tournament I wanted my necro to be based around the golem, so as such i have a few curses going down to decrep for bosses of course, and I gave my necro a bow to hit on stuff from afar (great for resurrecters and tough bosses)

Also the ancients are a BLAST, its a great 3 on 3 battle with you, merc and golem vs those 3.

I currently have 20 golem mastery, 2 summon resist (good ide) 15 clay golem, 20 blood golem, 12 iron golem, 3 fire golem. I will never go any poison and bone with my guy any other points (not that there would probably be, would be to curses.

Have fun, I believe this is the type of build where "you have to see to believe" it. I won't spoil anything but try each golem type for an hour or so
  7. sveinbjorn

sveinbjorn IncGamers Member

What is the ending date? Also, are Revives allowed?
  8. Morathi

Morathi IncGamers Member

i dont think there is any date. And also he says once past 60 points are invested and 30 in the golem skills you can choose any other skill. So yes
  9. Tupsi

Tupsi IncGamers Member

Since I'm pretty much out of the Scavenger Hunt due to my HC start, I could join another tourney. Oh, and I killed my Javazon at clvl60 in Durance of hate (unequipped mercenary's weapon but my Valkyrie was still strong enough to one-shot /p8 doll), so that doesn't hold me either. I'm in.
  10. Deaddave

Deaddave IncGamers Member

im in, but im going hc :D, i always find it more fun in torneys lol. i already have my build pretty much planed and im gona start later today
  11. Grisu

Grisu IncGamers Member

Since I wanted to make a golemmancer long ago I might join this one...but I'm not sure yet, because I'm still trying to get 7 Guardians in the Obsession tournament (--> very time consuming...)

Once I join I think I'll go the maxed clay golem route HC :) Not sure if that'll work out, but it's definitively worth a try. In the meantime good luck for all you participants!
  12. Cormallon

Cormallon IncGamers Member

I played a (melee) golemancer as my second char in the MET tournament, HC, and he's still alive sitting at NM WSK2. From that experience, I think patting such a build in SC is quite possible, even HC guardian could work (with not too much bad luck, as always in HC). My poisonmancer has a highly synergized clay golem, now close to 10K life, and just this incredible tank would give you all the time you need to finish off any foe with a half decent bow (or a collection of these, with different elemental damages). An iron golem on the other hand can be made almost immune to elemental attacks if you choose the right base items. Have a look at the Golem FAQ in the necro forum, that one is really nice.
  13. azn_apocalypse

azn_apocalypse IncGamers Member

I have been playing around with minion-based chars (Grizzly and Valk) lately, so this sounds interesting to me.

I am curious how high a fully synergized Iron Golem's damage could get. With the help of Amp Dmg, I think it might be possible to get it on par with Grizzly/Valk if you use the right base item (I don't think the items would be unreasonably hard to obtain either).

I might possibly join this tournament if someone can answer this question: how often can I expect the IG to hit things in Hell? It seems like the AR synergy (+35 per level in BG) would not help much.
  14. YoungDbl

YoungDbl IncGamers Member

Im defiantly joining but not sure on my build. I thought maybe a strong clay golem and the rest in poison skills. If I can decide my build I will get started. I want to be able to salvage it for a later use as well.
  15. Fluffballer

Fluffballer IncGamers Member

A suggestion: Increase the points-in-golem skills requirement. You could make a fairly standard poisonmancer with your current requirements. You might want to consider restricting CE as well?
  16. azn_apocalypse

azn_apocalypse IncGamers Member

17. Cormallon

Cormallon IncGamers Member

Hmm, at least it calculates the same clay golem life for my poisonmancer as it is shown in-game.

18. TheFaceless

TheFaceless IncGamers Member

I'm in, and I'm also going to say there should be a restriction on CE, such as uh.. not using it at all? Even with just lvl 1 CE, you could take out a whole mob with a few mana pots and one dead body, and that really seems to defeat the purpose of the tournament...
    I'm in though. I'll start throwing points into golems and decide if I'm going to need a spell like BS to help me along or not.
  19. Cudgel

Cudgel IncGamers Member

*fails to resist the lure of a golemancer*

Well it seems that for some strange reason this tourny piques my interest and is just starting. all the better.

As I am away from my home comp I am not even sure what my soon to be born golemmancer's name shall be. But i think I might play a titan-esqu meleemancer with a trusty pile of mud, until I get around to testing all the other golems. Which I have never used.
  20. Quickdeath

Quickdeath IncGamers Member

First, here's a table.

Code:
    Account Name      Character Name    CE?  HC/SC  Act/Difficulty     Points  Deaths

Hoid              Rocky              ??         I-Normal     ??     0          0
    Quickdeath        AncientPower       No   SC    I-Normal     SC     0          0

I've created columns to indicate whetehr your character is Hard Core or Soft Core.

I agree with the comments about not using Corpse Explosion, and I will personally try it without CE. I propose that we make that an individual choice and post it on the scoring table. If you want to use CE, that's fine too, and within the rules. We'll cheer you on and see if it makes a big difference or not.

And yes, you may use Revives if you wish -and as soon as you are able. I'd like to give each player a chance to customize and personalize their Golem-mancer. I don't want to force people into cookie-cutter Golem-mancer Builds.

One last note - I agree that there are already a lot of tournaments out there -and some darn good ones, too. But, doing a Golem-mancer has been on my mind for sometime - and I thought it might be fun to do it in the company of friends - old and new. Hence, this tournament. BTW, this tournament will hopefully be around for quite a while, and you can join it whenever you like -and you'll be warmly welcomed whenever you do.