Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

The Fresh Meat Tourney

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Cius, Jan 13, 2010. | Replies: 100 | Views: 16244

1. Cius

Cius IncGamers Member

The Fresh Meat Tourney

The Fresh Meat Tourney

"Ah fresh meat!" - The butcher

So, after jiansonz recent thread on the adventures of Isolde a thread started about interest in a D1 tourney. After many expressed interest in the slow lovin of D1 this was the result. The fresh meat tourney!

Rules
    - Any character is allowed
    - Any "build" is allowed
    - HC single pass is required. This means only save when no monsters are around and if you die then so long.
    - SP mode only (not MP) due to quests and each difficulty will be played through once single pass style (a lot easier to do in D1)
    - D1 or Hellfire are permissable, just state which one you are doing.
    - Saving before hitting a Cauldron or random shrine is allowed ONCE! If you don't like the result you can re-load and then leave the cauldron as is.
    - Items can be stored in town but at the end of each difficulty no muling applications are allowed. You can only carry to the next act what you can fit on your person. (there are smart ways to transfer wealth though if you think about it)

Comments
    The rules above are made so as to allow our inspiration, Isolde, to be automatically entered into this tourney.
    No muling applications
    Style points are awarded for people that put restrictions on themselves such as Isolde not using a bow at all. Warriors are also encouraged as while they are powerful in normal in NM and Hell they do not scale as well as the other 2 characters. Hellfire characters are also allowed including Barbarian and Bard.
    Add yourself to the table as you go!

Code:
    Forum Name      Character       Class           Location               Level
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cius            Milamber        Mage            lvl 2                  4

I'll kick it off with Milamber who is a mage who hates using melee. Spells are first choice in all cases. Even if it means being dirt poor in the early game he has to use spells first and foremost and buy mana pots/charges when he runs out even if he would rather melee for a while and save some cash. Melee can only be used when he literally has no other way of casting (all mana, charges, and money depleted). Reason I went the easy route is that I never knew how to get into NM and Hell with SP characters so I have only played D1 to the end of normal. Seeing as it will be my first trip to NM and Hell I want the strongest character. Later on I may try a rogue.
  2. soulmanz

soulmanz IncGamers Member

Re: The Fresh Meat Tourney

Sweet, im in with the samurai rogue tetsu-ko.

I posted the samurai rules (by ReiRee) up before, but here they are again
    Rules
    The Samurai's goal as a player is to reach the level of Mastery, however only through trials of skill and combat can they do this. A Samurai's main weapon are her fists... for close combat is furious... however, the denizens of hell require something more than just skin. Two handed swords, ( or one handed swords without shields ) are acceptable, as are staves, and bows, when applicable. A shield may only be used upon the reaching of the Protector status. The rights to magic are attained as mastered.

Ranks
    The Initiate of the Bow
    (clvls 1-7)
    Every level, 5 points are added to Dex.
    Only a bow may be used, for it is the Samurai's goal to understand the weapon.
    Any light armor may be worn, but no helm, for the Samurai's aim depends on her good eye sight.

The Initiate of the Fist
    (clvls 8-14)
    Every level, 3 points are added to strength, 2 points to vitality.
    No weapon or shield can be used.
    Any armor may be worn, as with a helm, except for plate.

The initiate of the Blade
    (clvls 14-19)
    Every level, 2 points are added to strength, 2 points to vitality, and 1 point to dexterity.
    Only a sword may be used, no shield. Two handed sword preferred.
    Any armor, as with a helm, except a plate.

The Initiate of Magic
    (clvls 20-24)
    Every level, 5 points are added to magic.
    No weapon may be used, to encourage the use of magic to defeat foes. Any helm may be used, but only armor that does no encompass the torso may be used (Cloaks, Capes, etc. ).
    Magic can be used from this time on, unless indicated.

The Initiate of the Staff
    (clvls 25 and 26)
    Every level, 5 points are added to vitality.
    Only a staff may be used.
    Any armor can be used, excluding plate mail. Same for helms.

Upon reaching the level of 27, the Samurai must discover her purpose. She descends through the levels of hell to the level of 15. As destined by fate, the first enemy to cross her path becomes her mortal foe. No matter what, the Samurai must combat monsters of this genre to no end. The level must be cleared of the heathen, for it is the reason she has come to be. If at any time the Samurai runs from the level of foes and has no intention to return, the samurai must be cleansed...

Purification by Fire
    A Firewall is cast, as the Samurai drops her items, and then walks across. (If the Samurai has no Fire Wall, than another person may FireWall for her.) The Samurai is not to return to her items, and must leave.

The Initiate
    (clvls 27-29, after the Discovery of a Purpose)
    Every level, the Samurai may apply points as wanted.
    Any weapon may be used that the Samurai has used before.
    Any armor may be used, including plate mails that require under 80 Strength.

The Protector
    Upon reaching level 30, the Samurai must adopt the codes of chivalry, and help 10 people in their journeys. The Samurai may use a shield to further help, but may not attack. She can use magic, but deal no damage, only heal, or give.

Samurai of the Stars
    (clvls 30-34)
    The Samurai may apply points to attributes as wished from here on.
    Any weapon may be used that the Samurai has used before.
    Any armor may be used, including plates that require 80 strength.
    As part of maintaining the code of chivalry, the Samurai must help 5 people through this section before she may be tried again.

The Second Trial: The Acceptance of the Stars
    To prove a samurai's dedication to the Stars, a Samurai must play a game in which 3 Items of the Stars are found. The Samurai may not gain any experience during these trials, (so playing in Normal difficulty is advised.)

Samurai of Faith
    (clvls 35 to 39)
    Any Weapon may be used, as before.
    Any armor, including plates that require 90 strength may be used.
    As part of maintaining the code of chivalry, the Samurai must help 5 people through the section before she may be tried again.

The Third Trial: The Acceptance of the Gods
    To prove the God's acceptance of the Samurai's power and prowess, the Samurai must defeat a level with her mortal foe with only a sword in hand. No armor may be used, though magic is allowed. No other monster besides the mortal foe may be hurt, only the foe.

The Master
    (clvl 40+)
    The Samurai is now a master of weapons and may use any weapon, excluding bulky mauls, hammers, maces, and axes.
    Any armor may be used.
    Chivalry is still a virtue of the samurai, so 1 person must be helped each level that the Samurai attains.

Well, all that minus helping people (saving the world not chivalrous enough?)

essentially a 'fighter/archer/mage' build with limitations throughout most of the game (up till level 40 and onwards). the early game is very interesting, which i will come to in a minute.

So Tetsu-ko began her journey, vowing to uphold her family's Bushido code. Immediately she noticed both a brown well and a bleeding corpse at the church, and realised she had her first quests.

As an Initiate of the Bow she was required to kill with a bow (easy) and put all stat points into dex until level 8. Straight forward indeed. She proceeded to perforate her way through skellies, fallen, zombies and those dog things. Nothing of interest happened, other than finding a weird shrine. These are probably close to the best shrines in the game. More on this later.

Proceeding to level 2, she faced more of the same. The monster types get a little confused, but I think it was ghouls (bigger zombies), skele captains and maybe hidden (the cloaking awesome headpopping death enemies). 3 experiences of note -

1. another weird shrine! these things add +1 to the max damage of a weapon, which is a big deal. As far as I know this alters BASE damage, so any enchantments and stat multipliers come on top of this. As base damage max in the game is often near 20, this is a very big deal. +2 would equal 10% more damage, especially knowing the samurai code largely relies on 2-handed swords.
    But I had a huuuuuge decision to make. I had to beat the butcher before level 7 (well, level 8, i misread the build). Once reaching level 8, a Samurai becomes an Initiate of the Fist. No weapon. Punch and kick monsters to death. The butcher. THE FREAKIN BUTCHER. Considering no stat points into vit, that seems unlikely.
    So I gave in to fear, and used both weird shrines on a hunters bow, increasing damage to 2-7.
    I do have buyer's remorse. I coulda saved them, and then buffed some mega lord's sword of speed or something, but i figure I have 3 difficulties to find more shrines. I will not wallow in self-pity, even though ...

2. The Butcher was a walk over. Trap him somewhere, like in the stairs or behind a door, and he drops like a ponce. Sold the cleaver.

3. Cleansing the water supply. I got hit by goatmen twice, and both times scared the bejeezus out of me. Knocked off at least a third of life, and they attack fast. The bow was really a powerhouse for this stage of the game though, and there were no NDEs.

The ring of truth for the water supply kicks some butt. As soon as I hit level 8 I paired it with my cap of health for a total of -2 enemy damage, pretty useful early on. Also have a +10 dex ring on the other hand, which combined with the early pumping of dex gives me a healthy 84% to-hit base.

Also managed to find leather armour of magic, and bought a sword of magic so I can learn the books I'd been hoarding. firebolt, charged bolt, healing and telekinesis added to the repertoire.

Level 3 was half cleared when I hit level 8. The bow went back into the town 'stash' and it was kung-fu flying feet action. Difficulty jumped a few notches, as I was facing Devilkin (tough fallen types), Burning dead captains (strong skeletons), corpse bows (skele archers) and the easier skele captains. Corpse bow bosspack was a bit of fun considering I had to run up to kick them to death, especially cos they were surrounded by burning dead captains, but no real problems. My high dex also has the benefit of pumping AC, along with my sturdy leather armour (+52% defense!), so it felt like I never got hit, except when I got mobbed by 3 burning dead captains.

So
    Tetsu-ko, level 9, Dlvl 4, Samurai Rogue

kinda hate having the table in every post, so I will leave it for now.
  3. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

Fun!

As Isolde is actually sort of a true and strong "build" (as I found out in the diablo wiki) I like to make the game harder for myself. I am going to enter with a Warrior named Reginald. I have only one simple additional rule for him:

Reginald may only use two-handed weapons.
    (he´ll have to punch some monsters in the beginning)

This should lead to some interesting strategy choices. Warriors aren´t that bad with bows. Staves can provide useful charges, he will be able to hit pretty hard with the big weapons, etc. He´ll take a lot of damage, but Warriors get good life and can pump Vita more than the other classes.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  4. scrcrw

scrcrw IncGamers Member

^this. I'm sure I'll manage to die quickly somehow and then start a more crazy character. I'll use a different name though :crazyeyes: Update once I get him started.

Great tournament name btw :thumbsup:

5. soulmanz

man, level 4 is handing tets her butt on a platter. just fully cleared it, but damn!

kicking things is hard work. managed to draw several tough enemies on this level. easy were hidden, rotting carcasses and blinks (stupid bats), but i also managed to draw the levelled up scavengers (cant remember the name, but they are fast, and HURT) and flesh clan (goat men). Not only that, of the 3 bosses, one was a bat, 1 a scavenger, and one a goat man!

i now have almost no potions left. and i almost died several times, the boss scavenger could take 3/4 of my life in a single hit. if my AC was any lower id be a goner

level 11 heading to level 5, which stinks cos i still have 3 more levels till i can use a sword

gharbad the weak was left alone (dont think i can beat him with kicks yet) and a goat shrine was saved .... but i tried it. cant believe my luck ... another weird shrine!

by the way, it was never clarified ... are we allowed to try shrines before we buy (test them with a save, then save them or discard them)? I advocate yes purely because getting bum-stabbed with a permanent loss of life or mana will piss off a lot of people

oh and as a warning to D1 Newbies - in the cats/lower church - STAY AWAY FROM BLACK DEATHS (fluro yellow and black zombies). You lose a permanent hit point if they hit you

edit:
    DAMN IT! dont worry, she aint dead yet. but as expected dlvl 5 (1st catacombs level) at lvl 11 with only KICKING as a weapon is deadly. and I got the WORST enemy draw. Goat archers, Horror archers, gloams (charging tougher bats) and Horror CAPTAINS! with no proper doorways for most of the cats, directly down the stairs I had to fight 3 horror captains simultaneously. 3 NDEs later and no red potions left, im a bit pissed. I need to find the secondary stairs (or is it now open in town?) so i can get back to town without running (walking) 4 tedious dungeon levels

im keeping upbeat. damn you and your rules ReiRee

edit2: highlighted question for emphasis
  6. Grisu

Grisu IncGamers Member

Entering Seth, the Sorcerer Ranger, who may only use ranged weapons and magic, but no melee weapons or shields. Don't know how easy/hard that one will be, but we will see for sure! I mean, I haven't played the game in the last half of my life :rolleyes:

Good luck everyone and here's an updated table:

Code:
    Forum Name      Character       Class           	Location       Level
    soulmanz	Tetsu-ko	Rogue Samurai		lvl 5          11
    Cius            Milamber        Mage            	lvl 2          4
    jiansonz	Reginald	Warrior 2handed		lvl 1          1
    scrcrw		??		Mage			lvl 1          1
    Grisu		Seth		Sorcerer Ranger		lvl 1          1

7. Cius

Cius IncGamers Member

If you read the rules you will see that saving for the random shrines is allowed a single time.

Just to clarify though:
    - Saving before normal named shrines who's effect is freely available in the wiki is expressly forbidden
    - Saving before hitting a goat shrine or cauldron (I think those are the only random effect shrines) is allowed a single time. However, if you wish to keep the effect you may not re-load. So for instance if you get a shrine that changes all your potions to rejuvenation potions you can't go back to your save point and fill your inventory with normal potions for the free upgrade. You either stick with the one's you had or reload and pretend the shrine no longer exists. We expect you to stick to the honour system here as obviously we have no idea if you abused this or not. There are several shrines that can be abused that way (filling inventory with gold, rejuve's, weapon's, durability, etc). Don't do it!

Good progress everyone. Reading about the kicking I remember when I first played with a really good warrior I saved before fighting diablo and tried a few ways to kill him. First I did it with full gear easily enough, then I did it with a dagger. Then just a shield, and finally I punched him to death. Was easier than I thought it would be. I seem to recall knockback played a role, either for me using it or him using it on me. Was at least 15 years ago I think so my recollection is a bit fuzzy on the details.

Thanks for the table update Grisu.

8. soulmanz

well, how about if you hit a goat shrine, and it has a good effect (which the game intended to bestow on a weapon) but you arent carrying one. can you come back and use it as soon as you wield a weapon again? that way you arent saving it to make an uber weapon, but arent wasting an effect the game intended to give you

maybe grasping at straws

thanks for the clarification, and for informing me i didnt read the rules!

just had to park my first enemy, a gloom boss. i cant carry enough potions to take that guy down (i mean it would take more than 40!)
    im not hopeful of reaching level 14 and making it to sword use. i may have to abandon samurai ethics soon!
  9. jiansonz

Another reason Isolde won´t take part in the tourney. She has violated both of these rules. :badteeth:

10. Cius

Cius IncGamers Member

Ah well, guess I miss-read Isolde's rules then as well :nod:
    Anyways, I hate tourney's that change rules mid way so lets just stick with the current system as what we currently have seems to me to be the lightest abuse of the save re-load option.
  11. jiansonz

Yes, I agree. Your rules for the shrines are fair and reasonable.
  12. Jason Maher

Jason Maher IncGamers Member

I'm in with a bow-wielding Rogue. I'm adding the restriction that she can't use any spell that deals fire, lightning, or magic damage. Physical Bow damage only, plus a golem if she's lucky enough.

While I'm here: does anyone know how to get Diablo to display in 4:3 on a widescreen monitor? I have the graphics card set to scale low resolutions up but maintain the original aspect ratio (works perfectly with Diablo II), but for some reason Diablo still stretches to fit the screen.

Code:
    Forum Name      Character       Class               Location       Level
    soulmanz        Tetsu-ko        Rogue Samurai          lvl 5         11
    Cius            Milamber        Mage                   lvl 2          4
    jiansonz        Reginald        Warrior 2handed        lvl 1          1
    scrcrw          ??              Mage                   lvl 1          1
    Grisu           Seth            Sorcerer Ranger        lvl 1          1
    Jason Maher     Rhiannon        Rogue                  lvl 1          1

13. Vang

Vang IncGamers Member

Not going to do any major restrictions, but I'll play a warrior that only uses Axes or Mauls.

Code:
    Vang            Kilun           Warrior Axe/Maul       lvl 1          1

14. Bluechip

Bluechip IncGamers Member

I'll give it a go. I will make a warrior who only uses the swords that Vang's warrior casts aside. Shields are OK though, just no axes or mauls, etc. He can also use the occasional bow, and magic is fine if it comes to that, provided he learns how to read.
    Code:
    Bluechip        Coffindancer    Warrior Swords         lvl 1          1

Incidentally, does anyone know how to make this game run normally? My cd drive and computer sound like they're going to explode when they try to run this. I have Vista if that matters. It has an easier time running D2

EDIT: oh, btw, I'm not looking at any dang fangled guides or anything. Just running blind.
  15. scrcrw

scrcrw IncGamers Member

A question first: What is the policy on refreshing merchants' inventories by saving/loading?
    I have so far assumed that it is the same as for jiasonz' Isolde = no refreshing of Adria's inventory (and I haven't bought anything from Pepin or Wirt yet).

Proteo the Sorceror who only uses spells (not that he has to do anything else...) has begun his journey into the depths of the Tristram cathedral.
    Monsters fell easily to his Charged Bolt staff and lvl 1 Firebolt. A short while later a third spell was added to his arsenal. Shrines in the area were less forthcoming.
    In level 2, Proteo solved his first quest. Leoric would have been more interesting, but the quest reward on this one is more useful. He also found a second new spell which proved to useful in the early phase.
    In the next level the first really hard enemy was encountered. Tanking it was impossible and it was practically impossible to hit it at range with Firebolts. Additionally it's fire resistant and no lightning attack was available...
    After a long fight Proteo prevailed and was rewarded with his first (non quest) ring. Adria also wanted to help and sold him a nice book.
    Level 4 contained the Tavern Sign quest (where I foolishly neglected to get Harlequin's Crest) and Gharbad the Weak (who didn't drop anything useful).
    On then to the second area. As a welcome gift, the first unique item dropped and was promptly equipped (because Proteo had no shield yet and was wearing a +9 vit short sword). As you can see I got hold of a Mana Shield scroll, which greatly improved survivability.
    Now an amazing lucky streak with Books began. First a rather annoying bat provided a FW book. Adria had a tempting offer, but Proteo could not afford it. A book stand made up for that missed opportunity.
    Next up was the Chamber of Bone (Proteo had already returned the Magic Rock to Grisworld). Meanwhile a nice fortune had accumulated and Adria provided the perfect way to spend it :jig: Carnage was unleashed on the main chamber.
    Just when I wanted to call it a day at the entrance to level 7, Adria dropped another bomb on the last town visit. Proteo had to sell half of his equipment but is now the proud owner of a Fireball book.
    His current stats look like this and his remaining equipment is:
    Hard Leather Armor(white)/Skull Cap(white)/Split Skull shield(unique)/+18 mana ring
    I guess with the amazing spell book finds, Normal will be rather easy from now on. Not that I mind very much :smug:

Code:
    scrcrw          Proteo          Mage                   lvl 7         14
  16. Bluechip

First unique monster - soulpus? - dropped a unique! I'm now the proud owner of 'the needler' short bow, and just in time for the butcher.
  17. Smips

Smips IncGamers Member

Code:
    Smips		????????	Sorcerer               The Bar	Over 9000
    I'm going to throw in. My first two attempts at characters died when they got to the Butcher; hopefully this one will fare better. I'll probably start in a little while.

Also, is the saving before hitting a shrine rule once, or once per difficulty? Not that I plan on finishing normal.
  18. Vang

Vang IncGamers Member

At level 8 the butcher is a lot easier from my experiences.

19. Bluechip

Code:
    Bluechip        Coffindancer    Warrior Swords         lvl 4         10
    Cius            Milamber        Mage                   lvl 2         4
    jiansonz        Reginald        Warrior 2handed        lvl 1         1
    Grisu           Seth            Sorcerer Ranger        lvl 1         1
    Jason Maher     Rhiannon        Rogue                  lvl 1         1
    Vang            Kilun           Warrior Axe/Maul       lvl 1         1

Smips		????????	Sorcerer               The Bar	Over 9000

Level 10! On level 4 of the dungeon. Splurged on a 'grand armor of zest,' which has AC 15 and +10 to vitality, putting me at AC30 with 130 life. Still using an awful sword, but the needler has certainly proved useful (chance to hit 116%?!?!!) against the black deaths. Stay away from my hit points!
  20. jiansonz

It´s once per Goat Shrine/Cauldron.

I suspect that number is for a monster at your character´s level, with AC=0.

Reginald the Warrior is doing mighty well at the moment. He´s reached the Caves (Dungeon level 9) at character level 16. He was nearly killed by The Butcher (the combo of some misclicks and no shield is BAD!). Stunlocked and the situation looked impossible. He managed to break loose with one spare healing potion left. Then he lured the Butcher to the downstairs and whittled him down with a silly Long Bow.

His Cleaver was used to great effect all the way a bit into the 7th floor. Then he switched to a Heavy Maul, and he´s now using a Gold (Two-Handed) Sword of Swiftness, along with The Undead Crown, Arkaine´s Valor, a Crimson Ring of Power (the STR is needed to use the sword), an Iron Ring and an Amulet of Zest.

King Leoric´s lair was tackled with Butcher´s Cleaver, except for the big guy himself. Reginald spammed Holy Bolt from a staff at him.

Knows spells are Healing, Firebolt (lvl 5), Town Portal, Telekinesis, Fire Wall, Stone Curse, Guardian, Lightning (lvl 3) and Fireball. Bought the Fireball book already at a selling trip from the Chamber of Bone.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010