Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The evilest thing you can imagine

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Hardcore Forum' started by ClaytonH, Jul 4, 2013. | Replies: 5 | Views: 738

1. ClaytonH

ClaytonH IncGamers Member

I usually play with a few friends that are RL friends, and a few guys from this forum. One of my friends started doing something in our games that can be psychologically scarring, and he calls this evil thing "shrooming".

We all know that the best sound in the game is the sound that legendary makes as it hits the floor. It is a sound full of promise. Will it yield another brimstone, or will it be that crit mempo you have dreamed of? Will it be a useless Heart Slayer, or is it a 1200dps Calamity? That single sound carries with it the embodiment of all the hours the players put into Diablo.

What else makes that sound? All of the parts of the Staff of Herding, that are bound to your account, which means nobody but you can pick it up, yet everyone can see and hear it drop. His particular choice of weapon in this psychological warfare is the Black Mushroom, hence the name shrooming.

My friend has perfected the art of dropping the Black Mushroom at exactly the point when elites drop their load. The legendary hunter in you cannot but have that spike of adrenaline and endorphins as the sound rings in your ears signifying a legendary drop, only to gaze at the name and have your heart sink in despair. The ultimate trolling technique.

I thought we had contained this scourge, but alas he did it in a public game and lo and behold, a week later, someone we have never seen before shroomed him!

By posting this here, it will more than likely only proliferate the practice, but I have to say: as awful as it is, it is also truly hilarious :D

View attachment 4478
  2. Towen

Towen IncGamers Member

I know I will hate myself for saying this but has anyone been shroomed at the end of running ubers??

Towen
  3. ClaytonH

ClaytonH IncGamers Member

YES. And it is awful. The absolute worst though was a run we were doing where everyone but me was getting sick legi drops. The CM wiz found int ice climbers and a Int AR Witching Hour in the same run, the other guy found a Zuni's Pox and some other set item. It was probably the most total value of items in a party of any run we have ever done. I still had nothing. We decide to do Halls of Agony and continue to go and kill Butcher since the luck was flowing. By the time Butcher fell he was my final hope for anything... and the bastard shroomed me on the butcher drop. I even thought about it before entering the chamber, but by the time butcher fell I had mostly forgotten to be on guard and he hadn't done it in a while. He got me good.

Towen, you know the guy. BobVader. You've played with us a few times. We are doing uber runs on Sunday. I am going to shroom him so hard.
  4. oOmpie

oOmpie IncGamers Member

Hahahahaha!

I know I would fall for this so hard, but still I'm laughing my *** off =))
  5. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

My friends and I have been doing this for quite a while, like 6 months at least. It's especially fun to do when you're in voice chat with them because you usually get to hear them get excited :D

I've done it in pub games before and people have just sat there attempting to pick the item up for a while XD

We would also save legendaries that we knew were worthless and not ID them. Save up like 10 of them and just start dumping them on your friend all in one game :p
  6. Katniss

Katniss IncGamers Member

Lostman used to do this all the time, but if you're paying attention it's not really that big of a deal. Sure, there's still the sound, but no star appears on the map and back in the days before the star, there were no pings. The fun used to be when people would drop their flags to put the ping on the map as well. Hahaha, so much trollery.