Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Drop Bear

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Clervis, Jul 17, 2013. | Replies: 42 | Views: 9353

1. Clervis

Clervis IncGamers Member

I recently pulled my old sorc build out of my "expired character" closet and found this gem. I forgot how ridiculously over powered she is. So, I thought I'd share my build with you because I think it's a bit of an uncommon and very effective spin on a build that's been done before. So, why write a guide now after everyone has quit playing this game? Because I was so enthralled by her ridiculousness, that I thought it my duty, late as it was. Plus I'm bored.

View attachment 4531

The Drop Bear

[TABLE="width: 500"]
    n: Drop bears are unusually large, vicious, carnivorous marsupials related to koalas that inhabit treetops and attack their prey by dropping [or teleporting] onto their heads from above. [/TABLE]
    Preface:

Traditionally the Bearsorc has been largely considered a bit of a glass-cannon build. Follow guides of other Bearsorcs and you'll probably agree. I, however, am here to show you a means to make the Drop Bear's defense as rigorous as the offense is ridiculous. Look at my guide, a lot of it may seem very counter-intuitive, or at least against prejudices, but I assure you, this build probably the most overpowered melee build out there.

Attack Power: You guys have probably seen the shear upper limits of Bearsorcs pushing out 120K max damage. That, this guide is not. Here's why. The average life of Hell monsters is 9,481 [onderduiker's monster chart]. That's 42,664 life in players 8. Look at all that wasted damage. That's why I've reeled in the Drop Bear to do a modest 4.5K-42.5K damage.

Mechanics:

For those who do not know, Bearsorcs derive their power from a few key principles:

1. Gear-provided auras stack by level if coming from multiple sources.
    2. Mastery skill modifiers are applied twice to melee attacks.
    3. Werebears' attack speed scales quickly with Weapon-IAS (not off weapon).

For example, the Drop Bear has...
    (1.) Dream Shield (Holy Shock slvl 15) and Dream Helm (Holy Shock slvl 15), to give her a combined active Holy Shock slvl 30 (1-1,668 lightning damage to attack).
    (2.) Slvl 28 Lightning Mastery (+374%) & slvl 30(buff)/28(attack) Fire Mastery (+233%, +219%), applied twice,so the LM becomes *4.74*4.74=22.4676 times her Holy Shock damage of 1-1,668 to give you 22-37,476 Lightning Damage, and FM becomes *3.33*3.19=10.6227 times her synergized slvl 30 Enchant damage of 348-429 to give you 3,697-4,557 Fire Damage.
    (3.) But that's not all. Throw on a fast weapon, like Griswold's Redemption (3xShael,15IAS jewel), and you're hitting at 5 frames per attack. That's maxed Zeal fast! A zealot can hit 4 times at 4 frames per attack, but his last attack takes 8 frames. That's 5 hits in 24 frames. Drop Bear does 5 hits in 25 frames.

So, they're you have it. That's 3,719-42,003 at 5 frames per attack! And that's before physical damage and the real pride of this build, her defense.

So let's get to it!

Skills:

Lightning Mastery: 20
    This is applied to your attack twice. Once when Lightning goes onto your weapon and the second time when it hits the enemy. Shocking, I know.

Fire Mastery: 20
    Also applied twice. Once when you buff your Enchant and the second upon hitting someone. And boom goes the dynamite.

Enchant: 20
    Your main source of fire damage and a good source of AR. Your non-caster buddies will love it, too.

Warmth: 20
    Synergizes your Enchant. But it also help you fly around while using Teleport.

Teleport: 1
    How the Drop Bear drops! But...you can't use it in Bear form. As you'll see, it's not really a problem.

Static Field: 1
    A completely moot skill 99% of the time. But it can save you a little time when you ravage Baal.

Shiver Armor: 20
    This gives you a nice armor boost, better than Frozen/Chilling Armor. It will chill melee attackers, too. Defense makes this build what it is, but fill this last.

Cold Mastery: 1
    This gives your Shiver Armor a little more of a bite. It also increases chill length. It's not necessary, but I think it makes attackers freeze a little easier.

Pre-requesites: 6
    Ice Bolt, Ice Blase, Frozen Armor, Telekinesis, Firebolt, Fireball.

Gear-Provided Skills

Holy Shock: Level 30
    From Dream Shield & Dream Helm. This provides you the base of you lightning damage. It also provides pulse damage, which does considerable damage to mobs.

Werebear: Level 3 + 7 from gear
    Morphs you into Drop Bear! Plus it gives you +50% Life, +133% physical damage, +70% defense. Get it from Beast on switch.

Lycanthropy: Level 3 + 7 from gear
    Makes you a tanking, dropping beast of a Drop Bear. +65% Life.

There you have it. You'll be maxed out in skill distribution at level 98, but you'll be a dropping hazard far before that.

Stats:

Strength: 196
    'But why, Clervis?' you may be asking yourself, 'That's just silly!' There is nothing silly about a Drop Bear. The strength has two major contributions. It enables you to wear very high defense gear, amplified by your Mercenary's Defiance and your Frozen Armor. But it also, gives you a sizable bonus to your physical damage, which is desperately needed for leech and dual immunes.

Dexterity: 191-248
    'Woah, back up a sec! On a Sorc!?' you're saying. This is a critical piece of the Drop Bear, because it gives her max block. You also get an AR and Defense bonus, which is helpful.

Vitality: The Rest
    With decent gear and a high enough level, you should hit over 200 Vitality, which should land you in the area of 2K-3K life.

Magic: Pssh

PSSSSSH!!!

Gear:

Weapon: Griswold's Redemption (3xShael,+Damage/15 IAS)
    This bad boy is a Beast (almost as much as the weapon switch)! While other Bearsorcs are using Phaseblades with 5x40/15's & Shael, or even Grief at 7 frames per attack, Drop Bear rages with 5 frames per attack dishing out a mere 715 average physical damage. But! That's enough to give you a healthy life leech and (combined with a little Crushing Blow) it lets you make quick work of your occasional dual immune. You will have to repair, but it's not too often or that expensive.

Helm: Dream Corona (Io + Jah + Pul)
    The bonuses on this are amazing! Start with the slvl 15 Holy Shock (the primary source of Drop Bear power), add on +5-20 Resist All (low resist warrants a re-roll as resists are hard to find), plus +20-30% FHR (shoot for a high roll again), tack on a CtC Confuse (there's you crowd control), and the rest of the goodies aren't too shabby at all (defense, life, mana, mf). The Corona base provides the best defense and still won't be your biggest strength requirement. Don't bother swapping for looks, all Drop Bears look the same. Is that racist?

Shield: Dream Ward (Io + Jah + Pul)
    Funny name, serious consequences. Ward has the highest defense and chance to block. Hyperion and Aegis are good, but have lower average defense and don't sound as cool as Dreamward. It's important to get good resist and FHR rolls on your Dream gear. FHR (frames) breakpoints are: 0(13), 5(12), 10(11), 16(10), 24(9), 37(8), 54(7), 86(6), 152(5). You're guaranteed at least an 8 frame recovery, but if you get good rolls you'll be at 7, and can hit 6 with a few charms, but that's probably not necessary.

Armor: Upped Guardian Angel (Cham)
    If you haven't gotten up and walked out of the room in a rage, let me explain. GA provides you a number of often overlooked benefits. It is the only source of Increased Chance of Block for this build. That alone saves you over 100 Dexterity points to hit max block. It is the only source of Faster Block Rate, which takes you from a 9 frame block to a 6 frame block. 90% resist all! This nullifies the threat of elemental damage. Enter, defense! Upping it takes it up to 1,590 defense. Count in your Shiver Armor, Defiance, and Werebear bonus and you can be sitting at 14K defense, easy, pushing 20K if you really try. So what's left? Pure magic damage is all that can touch you, but Drop Bear has a collection of ears he's bitten off of unwitting victims, which he tied to a string to wear as a belt.

So why Cham? Of course everyone needs Cannot Be Frozen, so why not a Ravenfrost? The bonus +all skills increases Lightning Damage, Fire Damage, Physical Damage, Life, Defense, AR, all the key ingredients for the Drop Bear, and by a significant amount. Throw on +1 skill and you'll see your damage go up by 2K.

Switch: Beast Berserker Axe
    The means by which unassuming little girl becomes.....DROP BEAR! The base doesn't so much matter as Drop Bear immediately switches. You get your Werebear & Lycanthropy and you're set.

Note: I use to use Call to Arms, but eventually found it to be unnecessary. You'll have enough life as a Werebear and the +skills helps, but not enough to make me want to lug CtA around and do the swapping/yelling ritual.

Switch: Spirit Monarch
    The +skills become a huge benefit for your pre-buff. The FCR is great to get around with Teleport. Make sure you get at least 27 FCR.

Amulet: Mara's Kaleidoscope
    Drop Bear likes Mara's like he likes a little Eucalyptus with his human flesh. It gives resists and +skills. Huge!

An even better option comes from the crafting side of the house, though. The often overlooked Safety Amulet can be a huge benefit for the Dropbear. It provides +1-10% chance to block, PDR, and MDR. The chance to block can save you up to 32 dexterity points. That is enormous. The MDR is a little icing on the cake. You'll want +2 Sorc skills to match the Mara's. The only difference is your Werebear and Lycanthropy won't benefit, but you can make up for it with other bonuses. Here's where it gets ridiculous. The additional affixes can be of tremendous value. Look for Strength, Dexterity, Life, Resists, and Life Leech.

As an example of where this can take you. A Safety Amulet with +10% CtB, +2 Sorc skills, +30 Str, +20 Dex, and +60 Life, would provide you a total of 224 more base life. After casting Werebear, this one item can effectively provide you up to 515 additional life.

Rings: Two Bul-Katho's Wedding Bands
    When you're this awesome, you might as well just marry yourself, because nobody is good enough for the Drop Bear, save Drop Bear himself. This gives you much needed life leech, +skills, and life! The stamina helps you climb trees for your next drop.

Gloves: Dracul's Grasp
    Great source of life leech that keeps the Drop Bear adroppin. Given your enormous resists and defense, your red bulb whittles down slowly (even more so with your 19-28% life leech), when Life Tap occasionally procs, Boom, instant Rejuvenation. Of course, you're one hitting almost everything, so LT isn't that often, but enough to keep your hands away from your belt. This could be substituted for some other options as long as they come with decent life leech--Blood crafted gloves for instance comes with some helpful LL and CB.

Belt: Upped String of Ears
    Not too uncommon for melee builds, this provides the Drop Bear his only source of percentage physical damage (10-15%) reduction and integer magic damage reduction (10-15). Both of these are essential and the life leech (6-8%) is very handy.

Boots: Upped Goreriders
    Pretty used for dual immunes given the Open Wounds, Deadly Strike, and Crushing Blow. Believe or not, this will help you kill said immunes about 50% faster. This is due to 10% OW keeping them from healing, your 15% DS increasing your damage by a straight 15%, and 15% CB, which is the most useful of all when you're whittling away at ~700 damage a hit.

Alternatively, you could use some rare Tri-Resist boots. Those would be bearable.

Charms:
    The usual: Hellfire Torch & Annihilus...not need for justification.
    Resist charms: You'll more than likely be needing some of these to hit that 90% all.
    Defense charms: Get yourself some Stalwart Small Charms of Vita. Each point in defense is boosted by Frozen Armor, Defiance, and Werebear.
    Life charms: Of course.
    AR charms: Can help when your Mercenary goes down, but not necessary.
    Max damage charms typically have too small of a benefit to damage and leech. Lightning charms can bump your damage up, but you're doing way too much already. The same can be said for skillers. I usually just focus on maxing resists, then defense/life charms.

Mercenary: Act II Defiance
    Make sure you higher him in normal difficulty, as they have better stats. Other Act II mercs could be used, but Defiance would aid you the most. Holy Freeze will not decrease the incoming damage as much as Defiance. Might can raise your physical attack by about 2/3's, but typically the trade off isn't worth it. Blessed Aim is useless given his weapon. Thorns and Prayer are just dumb.

Weapon: Infinity in Ethereal Thresher/Giant Thresher
    This weapon really lets Drop Bear go to work. The -85 enemy resists to your redonkulous Fire and Lightning. In addition, at -83% enemy defense, you don't really need any AR as long as Hazim is around. Threshers are ideal because they're the fastest polearm to help dish out CB, but not a deal maker.

Armor: Upped Ethereal Guardian Angel (Um)
    In addition to looking cute with matching armor, you both will be immune to the elements. This is big because since you're one-hit-killing everything, most incoming damage is from ranged attacks. Nullify those and you've got yourself a hell of a fighting buddy.

Helm: Upped Ethereal Vampire Gaze (Um)
    Great source for Magic Reduction (10-15), the biggest threat since physical and elemental are so puny now. Also, you get physical damage reduction (15-20%), and life leech (6-8%). Boom. Honorary Drop Bear...call him Booboo.

How to Drop Bear:
    1. Switch
    2. Frozen Armor
    3. Enchant Drop Bear
    4. Enchant Booboo
    5. Select Teleport
    6. Drop
    7. Bear
    8. Switch
    9. Kill

That about does it. Good luck everyone. And watch out for Drop Bears.

View attachment 4530

Here's mine:

View attachment 4558 View attachment 4561
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  2. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

Ive been using Dream Sorcs before! And wondered how Id apply werebear to the build! ;)

This is awesome! And will be explored further! :D
  3. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

4. Clervis

Clervis IncGamers Member

Yayea!

Sexy!
  5. zaphodbrx

zaphodbrx IncGamers Member

Hi Clerv. Love this build, I made a variant of it here. It has some changes compared to yours which I think is better.
  6. Clervis

Clervis IncGamers Member

How did I miss this? That's an awesome Drop Bear you got there.

Don't listen to the ES guys. I've tried this build over and under using all sorts of alternative gears and build tweeks. Unfortunately, ES is just more fragile. One, this is a still melee build, and ES was designed for a ranged attacker. There is a lot more incoming damage as a melee attacker. Second, elemental damage to ES isn't affect by resists. So you're taking 75% of that damage straight to your bluebulb, if you're fully synergized.

Lastly, and this is the deal breaker, ES is a great sustainment skill, but not a lifesaver. By that I mean, it steadily replenishes your losses and keeps you going, just like Prayer or even Redemption. However, it provides little help if you find yourself in an 'Oh ****' situation. If you find yourself surrounded with some really hard-hitting foes (or manaburners), you'll just wear right through your potions (hopefully you've got Full Rejuvs). By leeching, however, you'll find yourself refilling your redbulb more as the situation escalates. In gameplay, I find myself just staring at my redbulb while fighting with my peripheral vision. Usually, Life Tap will hit and fill it right back up, but, if it gets dangerously close, I'll chug one potion and when I look up one of two things will have happened. Either most of the monsters will be dead, or Confuse will have kicked in providing perfect crowd control.

As far as your gear changes, none of them are extreme. They all look pretty good, but lemme provide a justification for my choices.

Belt: Verdungo's is good, it gives you PDR% and the FHR is a bonus. The +30-40 Vitality will yield you 60-80 life (not bumped by Wearbear or BO). So I find myself deciding over 70ish life and 10% FHR (that's equivalent to two sc's of vita [+17] and balance [5%]), or I could take the same damage reduction and bump up my life leech (6-8%) and also get my only source of MDR (10-15). Plus you get about 30 more defense than Dungo's if you up it.

Boots: Those are good boots. I was going to look for some tri-resists for a while, but decided in the end that I like the physical bonus from Gore's. Plus I don't mind loading up on resists in the inventory (I think I have 74 resists coming from inventory alone).

Rings: Ravenfrost isn't a bad option. The 15-20 Dex gives you up to 65-82 life compared to BK's ~90 life. The AR is good if Booboo kicks the bucket. The Cold absorb and mana is mostly irrelevant. Of course, the CBF frees up your socket, letting you take advantage of an Um or Hel/Freedom Jewel (worth about 130 life). But, again, I like getting my resists from charms, since I have a lot of em. A Scintillating Jewel of Freedom would be killer.

Great build! I'll have to throw in a screeny of mine.
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  7. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

Clerv, full ES is fragile but i think a 20 tk 1 es build is good to get a mix match of safety like what i had in the video.
    Btw i think this time u are wrong with the gore riders ;)
  8. Clervis

Clervis IncGamers Member

Oh, I didn't notice you were using ES. It didn't look like you used ES in your video for anything other than getting to CS. But I've tried that combination as well, but just ultimately decided that high defense does more for you than undependable gains from ES. As it stands now, my character is so solid defensively, that I very, very seldom feel the need to drink a potion. This would be a great character for HC, if you could get there.

For the Gores, you could be right. That's one of the few options that my close mind suggested alternatives for. Boots don't really provide bonuses to your attack, just defenses, primarily life if you think about it. A nice set of Tri-Resist Boots would be awesome. But, then again, 15% DS gives you 15% more leech. And the CB is a significant help to dual immunes.
  9. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Site Pal

Haven't read the thread yet, but congratulations on the best build name ever :thumbup:
  10. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

Enchantresses are the only sorcs I'll play anymore. I have an enchantress going for basically the same skill distribution, but geared for Passion. She's in Nightmare somewhere, but she's been on an extended hiatus because she was borrowing equipment from one of my barbarians and he needed it back. I've always been a bit skeptical about bearsorcs because of the whole losing access to skills in wereform thing. That being said, your auradin guide was the template for the character I've played more than any of my other characters (my auradin is level 99 and has never died). So I'm sorely tempted to make the gear change and go for a drop bear.
  11. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

You might want to reword this part. It's confusing. Shiver Armor has the highest defense boost, but doesn't freeze attackers.
  12. Clervis

Clervis IncGamers Member

Thanks. It's like it just fell out of the sky.

I never much liked casters myself, but that really isn't the Drop Bear, at all. She has the advantage of teleporting and buffing like a caster, but it pretty much ends there. If you like my Auradin, then this should be a blast. It's pretty much everything he is, magnified. The defense is incredible (a great candidate for HC). The ability to kill every pack you come across is a must for me. And the offensive capability is just obnoxiously overpowered. Give her a shot, it's not the big of a jump from a Sorc Zealer.

Whoops. That was suppose to be Shiver Armor, which chills melee attackers.
  13. Clervis

Clervis IncGamers Member

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  14. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

Well, I'm gathering everything I'll need for this once my enchantress is high enough in level to make the gear change. I already had almost all of the optimal gear for this, although apparently not Griswold's Redemption. Still weird to think that a paladin's scepter is the best weapon for a bearsorc, but I can't think of anything to top it. I'd be tempted to go for the tri-res boots, as the thought of all the resistance charms I'd need to cap those elemental resistances in Hell is only bearly tolerable, but Gore Riders seems too valuable as a means of actually getting physical damage. That's something that's been bugging me about enchantresses: one can get a lot of fire and lightning damage easily enough (although the lightning does take an investment in runes), but physical damage is important too (for Life Tap and for dual immunes).
  15. Clervis

Clervis IncGamers Member

Nice one.
  16. jeffy

jeffy IncGamers Member

Is there a benefit to 4*shael over 3*shael+ias jewel if you are attacking while being under decrepify?
  17. Clervis

Clervis IncGamers Member

Yes, actually. While decrepified, 3xsheal/IAS jewel will give you a 8 frame attack, while a 4xshael approach will give you a 7 frame attack. Good to know if you're Baal running.

Cite: Attack Speed Calculator
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  18. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

But you still miss the possible resists from a socketed phaseblade :p
  19. Clervis

Clervis IncGamers Member

True. You can get up to 75 resist all from a jeweled phaseblade, which is great. But, I prefer the Grizzy's Cadillac still, because it will give you almost 5 times more physical damage, which means 5 times more leech and 5 times the killing speed against dual immunes. As you can see, I just rely on my inventory to supply the much needed resist.

On the other hand, resists from the PB could free up inventory slots for max damage charms. The 75 resists equates to 15 Shimmering Small Charms (+5%), although, I use 11 slots between charms. But, theoretically, in place of these 15 sc's you could have 5 Sharp Grand Charms, which would be up to +50 max damage (and up to 380 AR), or 25 more average damage. This almost doubles the physical damage from the original PB (33 average), but that's still less than half of the cadillac.
  20. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

Haha, cadillac, lol :)