Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Diablo.Incgamers SFHCL (Self Found Hardcore League)/Ironborns unite!

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Hardcore Forum' started by Lord_Vega, Jul 29, 2013. | Replies: 228 | Views: 19026

1. Lord_Vega

Lord_Vega IncGamers Site Pal

Allright, here's the deal! :wave:

Me and some of the great people of this forum have decided to give the notion of playing the self found, hardcore route... as good ol' Fluxster would call it, IRONBORN! Me? I want to think of it as the SFHCL! ;)

Basically, it's a group of players which (mostly) know and trust eachother and are focused on playing the game in a HC perspective from a different angle, the one where there is NO AH, and the only way to get better items is actually finding/crafting/vendoring them, and sharing them with the group! :D

I will be copying some info from the battle.net thread on the topic, since I follow the same principles and rules, and since it's been a long day and I don't feel like typing it all myslef, deal with it :p

Reasons for an HCSF Co-operative (or league)

(1) Playing self-found can be difficult & slow to progress if you play solo all the way through
    (2) Playing self-found can be very isolating -- you will typically have gimped DPS/EHP playing this way in comparison to others and may not be welcomed in public games even if you wanted to join a group as you may be seen as leeching off of that group
    (3) Kinship -- playing self-found as a group (or group-found) allows for a deeper kinship to build over time as you share more items that you craft, purchase via vendor, inherit from other HCSFers, or looted with other team-mates. As much as you receive from others, you will also be contributing to other people's gearing which helps build greater camaraderie
    (4) At any given time, there are new HCSFers leveling up -- gives you an opportunity level up a new HC toon yourself with them AND/OR to help them up along the way

Principles of HC Self-Found Co-op (as far as I see it):

(1) No Auction House use of any kind (direct or indirect) -- this would include any items inherited from friends that have passed through AH (hard to enforce, but try to stick to this). Ideally, I don't want any item being used to be tainted by going through the AH.
    (2) Crafting, purchasing from vendors, looting, and inherited from fellow HCSFers are all fair-game. Use to your heart's content!
    (3) Share, share, share! The idea here is that value of any loot is salvaging materials or utility for other people. AH pricing has no bearing in here (as we are effectively pretending that it does not exist), and so neither does trading/bartering (no matter how amazing the item you have found). There is no place for greed in here!
    (4) I fully acknowledge that there is no way to govern or keep people accountable to these ideals. I am not going to be a stickler about this, but I am hoping that this will draw out like-minded people who are committed to this style of play.

The very first chars who started the participation in this league started tonight, we begun as a party of 4, and had a blast! It was me, Clayton, Stupified and another friends of Stupified off the forum... we cleared act 1 and had tons of fun in the group! Sharing blues, me finding a legendary at level 13 (se no evil! Woot!) and just having a laugh and a great experience!

Will be adding a table here after a while, or we could always use Diablo3Ladders' system, whatever you guys deem most convenient.

The list right now, consists of me: Vegameister#2492. Feel free to add yourselves to the list here, and add eachother on bnet. I mark those who play chars which are a part of the SFHCL as just that in the notes on my friends list, so that I am sure I am not mixing any AH tainted chars and items!

Would be great to have you join in! Now it's time for bed! :wave:
  2. Stupified

Stupified IncGamers Member

Dominus#2940 here. Had a blast! And i must say it brings back the feeling of hardcore all over again :) Exploring, achieving and progressing becomes few and far between with my non-hcsf character, so it's a nice change. Heh, I kinda regret my name though - now im stuck with Strongbad, the demonhunter.

Ofcource, no-one can prove their selffoundedness, so you have to suck to join, just to be sure :p j/k
  3. slyraje

slyraje IncGamers Site Pal

slyraje#1403

Looking forward to having a group to do this with.

What class is everyone playing?
  4. ZappaFan

ZappaFan Hardcore Moderator and America Trade Moderator

My problem with something like this is that I just don't have a spare character slot right now. I am eventually going to get around to doing something like this somehow tho I really like the idea.
  5. tougeznut

tougeznut IncGamers Member

Me (Tougeznut#1970) and Katniss (Leviathan#1356) have been doing the self-found HC thing for a little while. I love it, and would love to join this league! I haven't had much time to play recently (had a house built and just finished moving out of the old place...), but have a lot more free time now.

I've been working on a wizard for 6 attempts now, and have high hopes of actually making it to inferno with this one :).

sent from my GalaxySIII
  6. Katniss

Katniss IncGamers Member

Katniss here!

Toug speaks the truth and I actually just started a lovely SF HC Barb on EU (after getting my SC DH up to level 10, heh). Feels awesome to see so many achievements popping up again. Anyway, I'm doing it on MP10 until I'm on at the same time as some other people to play with, so I'm currently level 11 and just checkpointed Cathedral 4. Off to bed now! :)
  7. ClaytonH

ClaytonH IncGamers Member

ClaytonH here. Or Jotunn#2915 as the battle tag goes. No clue how you guys linked your battle tags the way you did so I'm just gonna leave this here: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Jotunn-2915/hero/29775815 I used my last available slot to start a WD (even though I already have a level 41 WD, but he has the taaaaaint of the AH!)

I left a good group of guys farming mp6 with my barb last night to come and join this initiative after getting a friendly invite from Vega, and so my new WD pal, DonBeUsinAH, was born. It feels good, like when I first started HC and had no money, no items, no nothing. I'm keeping track of all gold made with this hero, and have set aside a stash tab purely for the SFHCL. Currently sitting at a massive 2400 gold after doing some crafts (16 vit, +4 exp pants, woot!) and purchasing a couple of rings.

I will still play my barbarian, and have no illusions of transforming my entire account into self found only. I have no problem with the AH, and I like being able to source new items for my barb regardless of where they come from, in order to make him more powerful to handle higher mp levels, gt more xp, and hope for better drops. This being said, I am thoroughly enjoying the SFHC play style, and I like the camaraderie and friendly atmosphere that comes with it.

Vega, Dominus, it was great playing with you guys last night. Not only do I believe I can trust you to stay true to the fundaments of this league, but playing with you is fun because you are quintessentially nice people. Will other people cheat? Can the AH be just too tempting to get say, just a new weapon, or just a quick socketed helm? As I said to Vega before we started, there may be no way to manage other people and ensure they are sticking to the rules, but I believe it comes down to your own morals and honour.

Let's say for instance that I feel like my dps is just a little low and I'm having a tough time killing mobs, and getting a little bored rerunning an area to progress. I could just grab a new sword off the AH and make my life so much easier. Nobody would know. But once I have that sword and I'm plowing through the mobs, I will feel guilty as all hell knowing that I didn't earn that sword, and in doing that I am diminishing the efforts of every other member who has stayed true to the play style and played until they could beat that area on their own steam. What is better? To finish a race third and know that every ounce of effort you put in was your best, or to win a race easily knowing that you cheated and don't deserve the win? It is essentially the same.

The good part about having a league like this, is knowing that help is just a pm away. The other players will become your "AH", only more of a non-profit organisation style AH :) as long as you are also willing to help others as you have been helped.

Here's to Vega for getting this going :thumbup: I look forward to playing with anyone who is keen to join.
  8. Moichi

Moichi IncGamers Member

Count me in! Moichi#2430
    Looking forward to this, and finally gives me a reason to clear out one stash tab ;)
  9. InteNuIgen

InteNuIgen IncGamers Site Pal

Great that you got this going Vega!

Currently levelling a barb, but much like tougeznut, i have been making several attempts at a wizard.
    My SC wiz is P100 and i would love to at least get a HC wiz to 60.

As i told Vega in a pm, i have difficulties in devoting myself to a set period of time for multi. Kids and other stuff is grabbing so much attention so my D3 play time is very much "a little here, a little there". Thus i don't want to be a burden for other players when doing multi, i don't want to be that player who hops on and off.

Also, i put very strict rules for myself when levelling to 60. No AH is given, but also no help from others.
    I like the challenge of soloing.

However, i would like to be included in this league. I would like to farm p-levels in groups when it is possible time-wise.
    Also, when i level a new HC char, i find lots of stuff that other players could use.
    I don't give them to my other chars (cause that's "cheating" for me) but if someone else wants it then all the better.

So, if you don't mind, i could post findings here that i believe could be useful for other classes and if someone wants it, well, just give me a shout.
  10. Lord_Vega

Glad to see so many positive and enthusiatic responses! The more members taking part, the merrier and more trading/gaming together we will be able to make, thus resulting in higher level characters and higher level gear after a while! :thumbup:

Will first respond here by saying that I have created a ladder for the league on D3L, and you need to apply to it with your bnet account right here: http://www.diablo3ladders.com/ladder/incgamers-sfhcl#hardcore

Once I have accepted you into the ladder, it will automatically add ALL your characters on that account, so make sure to respond here on the characters that are actually SFHCL participants, so that I know to remove the others!

If and when we see that D3L works or not, we will either add more moderators to the ladder to help (or eventually have an american ladder as well if needed), or if it doesnt work (I know sometime it takes a few hours to update) for any reason, we can always create a table here in the thread.

Edit: now that that's posted, I can reply a bit to the individual posts here.

Stupified (or just Dom for me, hehe)- you are right that this works on the honor system, and we will simply have to trust eachother. At the same time, if anyone sees something suspicious, there's no shame in asking about the origins of items or huge stats that show up in a game. I did just that yesterday with a friend of yours after you went AFK, who joined with a monk having 2.5K life at level 13. I asked him if he was indeed 100% SF, and he left. Not to be an @ss or anything, but lets all do our best to keep this SELF FOUND and AH FREE! :thumbsup:

slyraje, tagged you as a SFHCL player on my list, and would love to team up, anytime you see me online :) My chars are in my signature here, always updated!

Zappa, appreciate your support, and truly hope you join our ranks one day. God knows if there's any SF barb that could dominate this league, it would be yours :whistling:

tougeznut, I have added both you and katniss to my friends list, please add yourselves to the ladder at the link I have put up there in this post.
    God knows I am hoping to make it to 60 with this wizard as well, and I know it won't be easy, so as I always say, two wizards are better than one! or something like that :dopey: What sort of build are you going for? Meteors?

Katniss, as I said earlier, added you on my friends list, and my level 15 wiz would love to team up with your barb! A meatshield is always nice to have around! :p

Clay, I really appreciate that well thought and written post, bro! That is exactly the spirit we need to base ourselves upon while playing in this league, and I am sure that with more like minded people, we will create a great niche' of playing here, and have tons of fun!

The feeling regarding your great personality is mutual, thank you! Can't wait to team up with your WD again! :)

Moichi, sent you a friend request on bnet! Glad to have you along! Add yourself to the ladder please!

InteNuIgen, first off, I appreciate your honesty and even more so inspiration in helping me create this! You have played SF since the start and with even stricter rules than most who play SF, so I really look up to you and your way of playing D3 :thumbup:

As for your concerns, I too, am going to be playing lots of solo, since I really don't want to fall into a "WoW raid complex" where I have to plan to meet with a bunch of guys at X o'clock and play for Y hours. That would suck the entire fun out of it, especially with me playing at very unpredictable times and schedules, so I am definitely with you on that one. Play solo when you wish, and team up when you wish and have the opportunity.. this is NOT a MUST MULTIPLAYER case!

I understand and respect your reasons for wanting to level all chars to 60 yourself, and hope to meet you for some paragon farming when more of us are up there!
    Please feel free to share some SF riches with the group, I am sure it will be greatly appreciated! :)

TL,DR: Join the D3L ladder, add eachother as friends on bnet, set a note as SFHCL player, and have fun! :jig:
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  11. slyraje

Only add my monk, Mosin, to the ladder.
  12. Lord_Vega

Done, sly! :smug:
  13. Katniss

Katniss IncGamers Member

I kind of echo similar sentiments on enjoying solo while leveling up through the difficulties. I just feel like it's a good litmus test of determining how well my character is coming along and whether I need to grind a little to be extra safe in upcoming areas, but I'm also not against playing with others either if they're available and around the same level. Just don't want to get rushed/carried too much. That said, I'll be doing a big sweep and adding you all to my list tonight. Looking forward to meeting up with y'all in Sanctuary! :)

- EDIT -
    I'm also not sure how to make it so my Europe account will show and whatnot both on the battle.net website and in the D3L site, but maybe it's just a matter of the fact that I haven't logged out since I created it? I guess we'll see.

- EDIT -

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Leviathan-1356/

Got it! Up to level 19 before the server went down. Chilling in Act 2 a little before Alcarus. Tough on MP10 right now, heh.
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  14. slyraje

I guess I've done so much soloing, self found and otherwise, that I don't have as much fun doing it anymore. I like the options that open up build-wise when in a group. Especially with a group that is under geared or at least on the lower end dps range, which self found tend to be for a while.
  15. Figgyfofo

Figgyfofo IncGamers Member

Hey guys, I just about to make a hc sf character can't wait to join you all!
  16. Figgyfofo

Figgyfofo IncGamers Member

My self found hardcore characters name is Danemon a Monk =D Add my tag if you ever want to play or talk =D currently leveling her up
  17. slyraje

Cleared up through Magda on NM. Think I'm at level 37 or 38. Crafted 2 nice rare fists that are making things easy. Still a touch to squishy at the moment, so I probably need to slow down a bit and get a few levels and craft some better armor.

Hope everyone is having fun.
  18. Katniss

Katniss IncGamers Member

Checking in! I'm at level 30 freshly dinged and just checkpointed Rakkis Crossing in Normal. Still doing MP10, which is an awesome challenge again when you don't have high level gems to just make your socketed weapon do silly damage. Having a blast so far.

I've also found/crafted some ridiculous items for Dex/Int users, if anyone is in need of a boost already. Trifecta Dex/Int gloves is one of the best items I can recall. I think most of them are level 20ish+ required.
  19. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

I normally play on the Americas server, but decided to start an untwinked character on Europe. The lag was very slightly and occasionally noticeable, but didn't seem to really be an issue. I thought it'd be more fun to play an untwinked char without having to keep track of which blacksmith/jeweler plans I have, or how much gold is self found and how much is from non-self found chars.

I've been playing on mp10 so far, but I'm not set on MP10 forever, probably at least through normal though. Up to level 12, entering festering woods now. Feel free to add me if your self founds are on Europe!

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/VTMatt-1240/hero/29848934

Requested an add to the ladder. My guy is the only hardcore EU char on my account :)
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  20. ClaytonH

ClaytonH IncGamers Member

DonBeUsinAH is up to level 26 and is handling mp0 nightmare rather well.
    http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Jotunn-2915/hero/29775815

I haven't used and untwinked character in so long I had forgotten that playing like this is actually quite doable at the lower levels. She has built up a neat pile of cash (like... 48,000 gold) and I have found some very nice items at the vendors, notably the boots and chest piece. It is unbelievable how much you value every single gem drop, no matter how tiny the gem. Also had a good few items from Vega dropped along the way. I was very surprised to get the current main hand from an elite pack, and it has replaced a superb mace I was using at around level 23. If anyone is coming up from below me let me know, you're welcome to the stuff I have outgrown.

I hope to devote some more time to her this weekend.

I have also been running a heavily AH reliant WD who is currently level 48. With a few items found by other characters and a nice weapon and mojo from the ah, she gets to 19k dps with gruesome feast and soul harvest. I am going to bet the SFHC WD will not be doing that at level 48, but you can also be sure that I will feel more of an achievement just getting the SFHC WD to level 48, never mind the dps!

I hope you are all enjoying your heroes, staying safe, and prepared for the hard path to 60 ;)