Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The D3 PVP Debacle

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Vooodu, Nov 24, 2012. | Replies: 27 | Views: 2534

1. Vooodu

Vooodu Banned

What in the world is going on with Jay Wilson and the rest of the D3 devs regarding pvp? Diablo 3 was released on 'May 15, 2012' with the promise of PVP comming out 'soon'.

Current date is now Nov 27 and we are quickly closing in on 7 months. How is this even possible?

Sad thing about it is the players are left out in the dark about it. There have been so many posts asking about pvp that get ignored on a daily basis by BLUES and any devs. Yet, you'll see blues posting on the dumbest threads possible.

What the hell is wrong with these guys? How hard is it implement a duel button or at least update the FANS about pvp.

Im so annoyed by this. Fact is i've been waiting calmly and checking Diablo 3.com almost every day since release for this feature and its always the same thing "NOTHING".

The only update so far is from this website and diablo fans about PVP tokens... PVP tokens? PVP Gear ? WTF ?

AhhaHAHA:crazyeyes:
  2. Kiroptus

Kiroptus IncGamers Member

Well... Jay said that it was going to be released on this year and if it wasnt, its a huge disaster. His own words.

Now I have no idea what they will do with it, the power scalling on the characters is just way too big, you can have a character with 25-30k dps doing just fine on Inferno and suddenly, there is another one with 200k dps...

Maybe they will add a new type of gear that is PVP only, that could only acquire with more PvP matches or even drop in PvM (so they can monetize it on the RMAH), I dont know, when the game was on development the concept of the arena seemed so simple and fitting but they got themselves stuck in a mathematical conundrum with the huge power creeping of the inferno items, so we dont know what is up with their dev team.

But I think the situation is a "disaster" since I doubt that the PvP patch will reach this year. But hey, the devs didnt expect the initial backlash and the hurry to fix things up and add features to keep people's interest would be so overwhelming, something didnt quite go out as planned.
  3. Vooodu

Vooodu Banned

Well... They could just release a duel button while they go insane with their pvp arena.

Anything is better than nothing at this point in D3s life.
  4. mr punk

mr punk IncGamers Member

who knows, but they must be doing something right. this team has provided me with many lulz.
  5. Tomsch

Tomsch IncGamers Member

Duel button = Dumbest idea ever when you can be one-shotted by any other guy.
    I agree that they should talk about PvP though.
  6. Kiroptus

That would be a good move if D3 havent received such a kneejerk reaction as it did, right now any feature that isnt well-implemented will be torn apart by the community and there will be an even higher level of distrust on this dev team's competence.

If everything was all fine and dandy, with D3 being widely praised by the majority, maybe a simple feature like that, with proper communication: "We are developing something much better than this, meanwhile you can have this duel option, its not much but we promise a more focused scenario." Something like this does sound cute but thats not what it will happen, the community is already poisoned, an such a big expectation as the PvP better be very well-rounded and designed otherwise the toxic levels of the community will be on such levels that it will never be saved.
  7. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

I'm sure this was brought up at some point, but what about the trap they're in with the respecing? Players can change to the most effective possible PvP build, so this limits the AH gear selling to only a few types of items. And they wouldn't want that...
  8. Kiroptus

But the problem is, the items as they are now will completely distort the balance on PvP, I mean... sure it will never be balanced, but if the PvM items are allowed on PvP, the balance will be so out of the whack that will be just laughable, it will make D2 PvP look like it has SC1's balance... the damage numbers are astronimical, the values and mitigations % are complex and weird to get a grip of, some skills behave in way that its just too unfair on players (like WD's Hex) its such a mess...

The only solution I can see is to have another type of gear, PvP gear, with slightly more down-to-earth values, which, of course can be sold via RMAH, it could be found somewhere in the game or earned somehow, I dont know.

And about the builds, actually the way how the game was designed is so shallow that pretty much all good items are great in any build, you always need damage, main stat, vit and +allres, crit damage helps too and the rest is pretty much the rest. Few builds actually require a change in equipment, its all that shallow.
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  9. peppercats

peppercats IncGamers Member

As Mr.Wilson would say, "Shut up PvP guy."
  10. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

Honestly, I don't think PvP ever really worked well in RPG games save for MMORPGs which are balanced so that everyone is equal.

(In a balance of Utility - Damage - Mitigation)

Honestly, I think the best way IS to just make it so that only barbarians can duel and even then, with regular swords and shields which are balanced very specifically. Otherwise it's a mess / disaster / impossible to balance. Also then we are close to what it was in D2, people using just the best characters / gear / builds and nothing else, most classes just being crap ect..

PvP worked best on games which you start at a 100% equal level with other players anyways. Not on RPGs where shouting Pippin and Merry shouting at Gandalf at the bridge khazad-dum to hold back so that they can get a shot at the balrog.
  11. TarnishedHope

TarnishedHope IncGamers Member

Then don't play it. There's a high demand for it, so people clearly want it. I don't get why you people always think PvP has to be balanced.

If there's no reward, balance is not important. Give the player enough freedom in builds/skills, and players themselves will serve to balance themselves. Will it be perfect? No. Can players still enjoy the experience? Yes.

Without rewards, it won't be mandatory. Don't like PvP? Go farm Act 3.

Want perfect balance? Go play chess.
  12. Forgotten One

Forgotten One IncGamers Member

Player versus player is a seperate game from playing Diablo 3.
    It only makes sense to improve Diablo 3 as best they can before utilizing resources elsewhere.
  13. peppercats

peppercats IncGamers Member

How about using those resources to add a real endgame
  14. Forgotten One

Forgotten One IncGamers Member

Define your criteria for a "real end game" and assume I can't answer your question.
    I am not on their development team and I'm not privy to their daily tasks & direction.

I only know that resources are focused on the core game's evolution right now through the release of the patches.
  15. Quingu

Quingu Banned

I can only imagine the sheer HATRED which will be unleashed after PvP patch. PvP is competitive and people HATE to lose because of imbalance. You would be surprised how many people trash talk orcs when playing as undead in WC3. That game is highly balanced, after about 30 patches, over 10 years. Orc > Undead, true. However, the difference is rather small, about 60% to 40% in win ratio. It's possible to win with an orc as ud. In this game... imbalance will be so HUGE, it will be sick...
  16. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

Balance in PvP context is making it fun for everyone, not just the guy who has the best class / build from the start. It's about, as said earlier, competitiveness and what is FAIR. Same rules apply to everyone, but it's your skill that makes you win, not you playing with an OP build. Most people dislike playing football so that you play with one less player.

And thank you, I will go back to farming.
  17. Vooodu

Vooodu Banned

If they just added a duel button players could balance their own duels the way the wanted too. There doesn't need to be rewards, ladders, matching making. All that is just fluff.....Over thinking the whole pvp aspect of a diablo game would drive any normal human being insane.

Competitve players will find a way to balance it, as they did in D2... While true pubbers will PWN, whine about losing, complain about balance, troll or trash talk all night long.

Either way, no pvp this long after release and no updates is total bull....
  18. mr punk

mr punk IncGamers Member

balance is a non-issue and overrated. diablo nor WoW is SC. skill abstract games like WoW (lulz..combat rating system) aren't competitive (ie: skill based games) in the first place.
    again, it isn't a competitive game. that's a myth perpetuated by players. of course, it doesn't help when blizz perpetuates the same myth by throwing money around trying promote WoW as an esport.
  19. TarnishedHope

TarnishedHope IncGamers Member

Not really. Some of us define fun in a different way as you. It's been mentioned by Blizzard that D3 PvP is not meant to be competitive. As long as there is no overarching benefits that force you into PvP, most could care less about fairness in the strictest sense.

But if you want to dwell on fairness, then tell me, by your means of perfect balance, how is it fair that those who put in more time developing/gearing their characters cannot be rewarded for their efforts?

Your skill is what makes you win? Go. Play. Chess. PC game is not for you.

By your definition, we would have to take out gear, level, build, and class. Everything. If that's something you want to play, that's you.
  20. Quingu

Quingu Banned

PvP is by definition competitive. People fight with other people, ok? If there is no GOOD balance, what's the point? In competition, you need to KNOW well that if you stretch yourself, you have a solid chance to win. If there is just ONE OP build, half of population will use it, while the other half will curse them.

BTW, even in chess, white has a slight advantage at high level of play, because of first move.