Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

The current state of play

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Community Forum' started by Jason Maher, Mar 28, 2013. | Replies: 9 | Views: 1751

1. Jason Maher

Jason Maher IncGamers Member

Yes, I'm lazy. Yes, I could have used Google. Or YouTube. Sue me. I've spent 20+ hours at least this week fighting with my 2 month old PC, due to what turned out to be a 3rd failing SSD in 12 months. I'm still in the process of re-installing everything. I have no patience left at this point.

So then, could someone (or several someones) summarise the current state of play in D3? Looking for info on the following:

- which classes are easier or harder to play in general
    - which builds have obtained "cookie cutter" status
    - which skills/runes are useful, and which ones suck
    - which items are must-haves
    - which items are affordable/easy to find but still useful - - which item mods are essential, and which are the D3 equivalent of + stamina
    - what are the best areas to run for gear and for gold, and which characters to run with
    - which characters (if any) can handle Inferno on MP10

Also, as those of you from the D2 SPF would know, I have a preference for ranged characters. Some Demon Hunter specific info would be appreciated.

I've had a browse of the other D3 forums, and most of the info I would put in the category of either useless or out of date. So I figure my best chance of getting useful information is, as has always been the case, to consult the SPF. :)
  2. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

So far I have finished Inferno with a Witch Doctor and Wizard and frankly the WD was a walk in the park. Using the Gargantuan and Grasp of Death - Death is Life (which spawns Zombie Dogs) you have a good meat shield and you can mix and match attack spells in top of that. Here is what my WD looks like:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/TheNix-6417/hero/30010427

I found a number of items using the Auction House, but I never paid more than about 130,000 gold for any single piece. If you are happy just to get average pieces you can pick the up at reasonable prices, especially if you snipe at the last minute. As for skills and runes, because you can change them at will, it is really good to play with them to see which suit your style of play. Of course there of skills that are more efficient killers, but I've never been a min-maxer and simply play for fun. As for mods, I learner a valuable lesson with by Wizard. At the beginning Of Act 2 Inferno I had a few deaths, so, thinking I was doing the right thing, I replaced my DPS gear with gear that gave me resists and life. Boy was that a bad idea. After numerous deaths, I put back my DPS gear and was able to finish Inferno relatively easily. DPS may no be king, but it definitely crown prince. I've only been playing for a few months, so I leave the more detailed answers to the experts.
  3. scwormy

scwormy IncGamers Member

I've beaten the game using all five classes (without using the AH).

I would agree with TheNix that the WD is the safest (although maybe not the easiest) class to use to beat the game.
    Since you like ranged characters, then I would recommend the WD.

The DH will likely provide the highest damage output for a ranged character, but I find they have the worst defensive passives/abilities (yes, I'm including smoke screen) out of all 3 ranged classes.

For Normal - Hell, you'll just want to focus on the highest damage weapon you can get, and +primary stat and +vitality.
    By the time you get to inferno things change quite significantly.

For defensive purposes, you'll also need a lot of all resist. (I suggest at least 500 AR, although if using a WD, you'll have about 200 AR from the 2,000 intelligence you'd want).
    For offensive purposes, you'll also be looking for crit chance and crit damage.

The "+ stamina" D3 attribute is the thorns equivalent - currently pointless.
    Some consider +pick up radius to also be pointless, but for a WD, it can be quite strong depending on your skills and passives.

There are a number of "standard builds" but I'd say only two builds have reached "cookie cutter status" - the first is WW Barb.
    The second is a monk build that relies on a single primary attack, and sweeping wind - Cyclone for damage, a mantra and 3 defensive skills.

As far as what skills are useful, its preference. In my opinion I've done a comprehensive analysis on the skill / rune choices of all five classes, but I don't think I can link it here. If you do a search for "sithlore diablo skill analysis" I have the top six results for the various classes.
  4. Doctor Clock

Doctor Clock IncGamers Member

The following is assuming that you are not adverse to using the AH.

With low end gear and just completing the game, I would say from easiest to hardest would be WD, Barb, Monk, Wizard, DH. For high level farming, Barb/Wiz are top. WD have a tough time managing resources at higher Monster Power, not experienced enough with DH and Monk to rank them.

Barb- WW
    Wizard- Critical Mass and Archon
    WD- Zombie Bears
    Monk- Thunderclap/Sweeping Wind Cyclone/Mantra of Conviction (think fanatic zealot)
    DH- Don't know

Set items with relevant main stat for your class are often best in slot. Just about everyone uses Witching Hour if they can afford it. Inna's Pants or Lacuni Prowler's with movement speed boots are very common for reaching 24% move speed (25% is cap). Black (physical damage bonus, non elemental damage) weapons are the best to get because their interaction with +% elemental damage is bugged and gives more damage than it should. Other than that, whatever has the best stats for your build.

Legendary items with low rolls or bad rolls are cheap. For instance, Vile Wards that roll without Vitality/Life% are still good but won't cost a lot. Rares with main stat/vit/resist are cheap especially if their rolls are on the lower end. Gladiator Gauntlets, Strongarm Bracers, Cindercoat, Andariel's Visage, and any non-Echoing Fury legendary weapon are all cheap as well, usually around the value of a Fiery Brimstone.asv

Main stat, vit, resist all, armor, crit, crit damage, attack speed, life steal, and life on hit are for the most part the mods that matter. Weapons need to have crit damage, life steal, and/or an open socket to be valuable. Gloves, rings, and amulets need at least main stat, crit, and attack speed and/or crit damage. Boots need movement speed unless they are well rolled Ice Climbers. If an item can't roll cc/cd/as, it needs really big vit, main stat, and resist rolls.

Act 3. A good route will usually contain all or some of these areas: Skycrown Battlements, Keep Depths level 2, Rakkiris Crossing, Fields of Slaughter, Tower of the Damned level 1, Arreat Crater level 2, Core of Arreat. The most common route is still the Alkiezer run I believe. Checkpoint at Core of Arreat just before Azmodan, run backwards to the WP, Tower of the Damned level 1 circle once WP, Keep Deaths lvl 2 port to town, Fields of Slaughter circle once WP to town, new game. Any class can do the runs. Some have an easier time than others and some have builds that shine on lower MP but not at higher MP. As mentioned earlier, Barbs and Wizards are the best when considering every MP.

Any. Barb and Wizard can do it on a lower budget. Wizard might be the easiest because as long as you don't get one shot, because you can freeze everything in place with a well geared critical mass Wizard.
  5. Jason Maher

Thanks for the info guys. Thanks particularly to scwormy. Your website is very informative. Exactly what I was looking for.

Also, I should have been a wee bit more clear. I have (since I first played Diablo) a clear preference for bows, as opposed to ranged attacks in general. Hence my naming the Demon Hunter. The number of bow-wielding characters I've made in D2 would be about the same as the number of all other characters combined.
  6. BaronScarpia

BaronScarpia IncGamers Member

Afaik, bows ara a problem, crossbows are a thing.

Probably the cheapest "cookie cutter" build around is Moldran's barbarian (after 100mi gold and some quality time in GAH, he can farm on MP10, get around 4 legendaries per hour and call it a day).

Build: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSwNxT1V6Z0

Gearing and Farming: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gdu2Zv2RqQ

500mi version (with the breakpoints to aim): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YAxOsfdfBg

Instead of buying gold with money, just fool around with the barb for a few months and get the gold and 100 paragon levels... In case you plan to buy the gear:

Faster Paragon leveling: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7pEjrBwHdw

For the demon hunter, this guide is very useful:

http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?841628-How-to-Multishot-A-Speedfarming-DH-Guide
    The better you play, the less discipline you'll need. Which means you can do well with nat's bonus and Dead man legacy, even without SoJ. I hate Xeph's Amulet because it just kills your DPS... While the weapons have the big fat DPS, it's very important to focus on have a good minimum damage, mostly to avoid running scared from white scorpions on act 3.

As for "must haves": High DPS weapon (with high min damage), Main stat, vit, crit chance and crit damage. Attack speed often is paper damage and eats more resource. Armor, HP and Res are EHP (effective health pool). The "better" you play, the less you need, but you need stuff. The usual rule applies: dead monsters deal no damage. :) Nowadays, I consider mandatory (imo):

Lacunis Prowlers: Movement speed. It's not impossible to find ones with main stat + vit. Crit chance can be expensive.

Monks/DH: Inna's pants. Any one is good. You can replace lacunis if you have movement speed on those.
    Barbarian: Skorn (Echoing Fury is so past year).
    Witch Doctor: Skorn could be an answer, but, imo Thing of the Deep is so insanely good, reaching gold and health globes while staying out of trouble that I can't take it out.
    Wizard: if you're looking for CM wizard, almost the entire gear is almost mandatory... Chantodo's will probably is the mandatory one.
    DH: Dead man's legacy.

In my experience, depending on what you're doing, nothing is really mandatory. The breakpoints are important, not how you reach them. If you pack loads of demonic essences and craft godly boa stuff, you probably will only look for 24% movement speed or other chase mods (boots + lacuni's or inna's pants) if you feel need to do so.

My WD on NA is wrong in so many levels, but I like him. He got low-ish crit chance na use Manajuma's carving knife (terrible, due to the low damage). Based on that, I focused on Attack speed an kill stuff on MP2 with Acid rain and/or 2-3 firebombs and it kinda works, because he's a ranged char that almost never kites, thanks to his minions. I don't care if others consider skorn and zombie bears mandatory.
  7. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

My DH is in Act 1 Inferno now, but I'm concentrating on devices as more so than the crossbow. Combining caltrops, spike trap and sentry doesn't give you a whole lot to do, but I've combined it with hungering arrow and multishot - broadside means that I can pick off anyone that gets through.
  8. Jason Maher

Changed my character around today. Currently in Act 3 NM (I'm level 56 courtesy of a rush from Smilts, but my weapon is Act 3 NM standard - barely). I ran Acts 1 and 2 on MP10, but Belial kicked my butt repeatedly, so I dropped back to MP1 and re-designed my build.

Previously I was using Bola Shot - Thunder Ball, Rapid Fire - Withering Fire, Caltrops - Jagged Spikes, Vault - Acrobatics, Companion - Boar Companion, and Sentry - Aid Station. Basically involved a lot of kiting, but I had a good rhythm going (which I'm starting to believe is THE key to D3, whatever skill combo you decide to use). I have also used the following variant runes a fair bit: Bola Shot - Volatile Explosives (my personal favourite in terms of skill effect), Caltrops - Hooked Spines and Torturous Ground, Companion - Bat Companion, Vault - Action Shot, and Sentry - Chain of Torment. I briefly tried Multishot, but couldn't make it work with the crappy gear I had at the time. I can see the potential in the skill though. Passives were latterly Archery, Custom Engineering, and Sharpshooter.

I guess it was inevitable that I would end up going for a Strafe build. Was and is my favourite skill in D2, and now I have some semi-decent gear (once again courtesy of Smilts - I owe him big time), I think it will prove my favourite in D3 as well. Still playing around with the skill set, but here's how she currently looks: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/nswhorse-1450/hero/29325592. The Burrito Canon my Scoundrel is wielding was found during the rush with Smilts - my first Legendary.

Once again, thanks for all the input. I think I'm just starting to scratch the surface of understanding this game.
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  9. PandadudeSP

PandadudeSP IncGamers Member

Wow can't believe you like bola shot volatile explosion! I mean, good aoe and damage and stuff, but gives me a headache within 15 mins of playing with the crazy flashing lights :p

Your build looks cool though, I was impressed with strafe myself when I tried it out; continuing to do dmg while kiting is great. I'm surprised you went for aid station with sentry though (seems like the weakest rune of the bunch imo) and I would recommend you try out custom ingeneering instead of archery or vengeance. I have a feeling that it would make a big difference both in terms of resource management and dps since you are utilizing both sentry and jagged spikes.
  10. Jason Maher

What can I say? I just love stuff going boom all over the place. I did have Custom Engineering previously, and I was seriously considering bringing it back. It would have to be in place of Archery. A 10% crit boost is difficult to give up, but I really need the resource boosts from Vengeance and Perfectionist.