Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Cow King

Discussion in 'Classic' started by -Tempus-, Apr 16, 2005. | Replies: 53 | Views: 54932

1. -Tempus-

-Tempus- IncGamers Member

The Cow King

Here is one of my old posts about how the Cow King Quest works

Its funny that after all this time people still dont know how this works. I play more D2C then LOD but even there you find so many people that seem to mess this up all the time. Even with the changes to how it works in 1.10 vs 1.09

Here is some info on how on how it works in 1.10

You need the leg from that lev of game. If the leg is from a different lev game then it will look red and wont work.

To make the red portal you have to have killed Diablo in that lev game.

To enter the red portal you can be any lev and dont need to killed Diablo in that lev game. (that changed from 1.09)

To take a party members TP (blue) you need to kill Diablo in that lev game.

Low levs chars get next to no exp in any cow game untill they get to the mid 20's

High levs get very little exp in hell cows after they hit mid 80's If you have a good 8 person party you could still lev there at 87-88 but you could lev faster doing river/cs games.

KILLING the KING: in 1.10 (cow king quest)

The key to this is the char that gets the last hit on the king (killing blow) and if that char can still make the red tp or not.

If that char can still make the red portal then everyone thats down in the cow lev will lose the "cow king quest" IF THEY ARE IN THE PARTY OR NOT

If the char that gets the last hit on the king CANT make the red tp then everyone is safe.(then have killed the king for the quest in a different game, were in the cow lev when the king was killed someone doing the quest or havent killed diablo in tha lev game)

Now if you take a char that hasn't killed Diablo in that lev game (they cant make the tp) that char can kill the cow kill all they want and not lose the quest.

If you have a lev 60 char that just started hell and is only in act1. They have not killed hell Diablo so they can't make the red tp, so it is safe for them to kill the king all they want untill that char does kill hell diablo. Then its no longer safe for them to kill the cow king. That works as long as they never are in a game where someone else kills the king for the quest.

NOTE: when the king is killed by someone for the quest he will always drop 8 stamina pots

The only safe place to be when the king is killed is in town or back in chat.

-Tempus-

2. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

hm.. nice guide. i've only briefly skimmed it. did u post it in the classic forum b/c its different than LOD cow lvls?

also a mod should sticky this as well.

3. -Tempus-

i first posted it over in the LL because people were asking about it and they couldnt seem to find the old posts. i also posted here a few times and over at the AB.

playing both LOD/D2C i still find people that will unparty when someone is killing the king (but they dont goto town) I also join games all the time where you see the 8 stamina pots on the ground (around the cowking) and after you tell them what happened all they do is spam noob junk.

the quest works the same for LOD as D2C its just you need to do baal there.

other things you see all the time are people that gem wirt's leg.

one thing i still need to test is doing the stones to free cain but dont free him. this shouldnt work but i havent had time to prove it yet. they must think it works like the halls of pain waypoint and killing Nat.

-Tempus-

4. Cooked

Cooked IncGamers Member

It is just amazing how many people on battlenet don't understand this! They also don't comprehend about killing the king when you haven't killed Diablo (or Baal) in that level as you commented on.

Perhaps, at least, some of our forum members will read this and learn about the cow level.

5. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator; Clan Officer West

This question is constantly asked here. I think it is time to bring it back up top and sticky it in the build guide thread.

Thanks to Tempus for digging it up.

6. -Tempus-

oh i did test this out a while ago on one of my mules, and it didnt work. no big shock there, something else i'll test when i get time is not having any waypoints in act 1

-Tempus-

7. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

Afaik it really is as simple as you describe above, Tempus, regardless of cain status, stone status or WP status.

The following is simply a re-wording of what Tempus typed in his OP :
    Killing the king on a difficulty while your king quest is open and you killed diablo on that difficulty will get you and all the people in the moo moo farm the quest.

Perhaps we should write it is prerequisites, since some prefer that form.
    These are the prerequisites for finishing the quest for you and any other individuals in the cow level. This includes people not in the party.This means you will be unable to open any other cow portals on that difficulty :
    - killed diablo in that difficulty
    - never killed the king in that difficulty
    - never been in a moo moo farm field while a first kill was committed(This is the difficult part, most people don't even know they have been 'helped' to get the quest)
    If you kill(last hit) the king with those prerequisites, your cow king quest and that of the other people in the moo moo farm will be finished/done/closed.

8. -Tempus-

the problem with wording it like that is it seems everyone forgets about the killing diablo(baal) part.

i'm sure a lot of people lev their chars something like i do. lev in act1 untill ~12, lev in act2 untill 20-24, goto act3 after that or lev in cows untill 30. since a char made like this isnt even in act4 yet and hasnt killed the king (so cant make the red tp) they can kill the king all they want and no one will lose the King Quest. yet that goes againt the "never killed the king in that difficulty"

the same king of things happens in NM games. once i have a char at +30 i'll finsh off normal and lev in nm games (or go back and make normal cows) since this char is only in nm act 1-2 (love nm arcane) they can kill the NM cow king all they want and not mess up the King Quest for anyone.

i think its best to just say if you are 100% sure you cant make the red tp in that lev game then kill the king. if you dont know, stay away from the king.

-Tempus-

MT: "i hate killing cow king now i cant make cows"

the king is a great boss to kill for drops in any lev game. you can also use the barb's FindItem skill on him to get a 2nd full drop. killing the king isnt the problem, its when he is killed by someone that doesnt know how the quest works that messes it up.

-Tempus-

9. Magical Trevor

Magical Trevor IncGamers Member

i hate killing cow king now i cant make cows

10. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

You have to be a bull or a cow to make cows. ;)

11. forumfreak

forumfreak IncGamers Member

ok so i just figured out i cant make no more cow portals... :(

what happened was, me and my brothers(4 of us total, 3 getting rushed and one chantress) were rushing and leveling, our plan was to do cows after finishing a4.

once we got to a4, i left room since i wanted to be the one that was able to see norm games. we got in a room and they made a cow portal, we get in and clean out the room, one of my brothers got click happy and accidentally killed king. i was thinking like "ok thats aiight, i still can make after we kill diablo."

i make a new game and finish diablo. made another game and found out the quest was already completed!! so i couldnt make the cow portal anymore. even though i just completed norm. :(

oh wells, i guess i just have to be more cautious.

12. Paladine

Paladine Banned

Sticky Please

13. FireMarshal

FireMarshal IncGamers Member

It is stickied :wink3:

14. goomba

goomba IncGamers Member

what on earth for?

as for getting the cow quest if you haven't completed D at that level, this is 100% contrary to what I have experienced.

I routinely kill cows, clearing the entire level including the king in normal via an rclaw, and a level 32 chant with a brand new character, that hasn't been rushed yet, not even through Andariel.

and later on, am able to make normal cows after finally self-rushing.

that being said, the chanter should always be the cow portal maker, and should never enter the cows. both of my high level chanters are used soley for chanting and making cows, and neither have ever entered teh cow portal.

this way, I always have a "maker". (they only chant at a safe wp such as stoney, or inner cloister)

15. The Cow King

The Cow King Banned

Because it's a frequently asked question ><

16. howdidigethere

howdidigethere IncGamers Member

I get now how it works in multiplayer with killing the cow king and whatnot, but how would it work in single player (I spend the vast majority of time playing classic SP.)

17. goomba

goomba IncGamers Member

depending on how we label "frequently" - pretty much everything here in the classic forum is frequently asked... :rolleyes:

18. goomba

goomba IncGamers Member

I would think, that by definition, if you are the player making cows, that you would have only one shot at killing the cow king in SP.

19. purplelocust

purplelocust IncGamers Member

Indeed, unless you do multiplayer games with your SP characters. Given how good of a source of TC3 items the normal cow king is, it's great to be able to kill him over and over. That can be done with SP characters in MP games (as well as b.net games), though some SP players consider that cheesy.

20. -Tempus-

he lost the quest because the king was killed by someone that could make the portal and he was down there at the time of the death ( in the part or not )

what you are doing thats different then what they did is your char is killing the king but since he cant make the portal yet (bc only in act1 or havent killed d yet) its safe for him to kill the king all you want.

what happenes most of the time is someone else kills the king (that can make the portal) and that messes up everyone else down there. the unparty to kill the king is just bs. it doesnt do anything at all. it just happens to be that the person that unparties cant make the portal. the only thing they are doing when they unparty is taking all the exp from the kills.

-Tempus-