Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The best class on diablo 1?

Discussion in 'Diablo 1' started by Devil Squid, Apr 4, 2009. | Replies: 15 | Views: 24821

1. Devil Squid

Devil Squid IncGamers Member

The best class on diablo 1?

What's the best class and why? Peace, Squid
  2. Lanthanide

Lanthanide IncGamers Member

Re: The best class on diablo 1?

Sorc is best for killing speed. Rogue is best for a good mix of fun and challenge. Warrior is just for masochists.
  3. jimbtx

jimbtx IncGamers Member

Since D1/HF doesn't come with any of the glitched near impossible to kill safely monsters or near impossible to meet requirements that D2LoD has. All of the main 3 classes in D1are perfectly capable of holding thier own.

Preferred play stlye is a whole different matter.

Warrior....
    Plus side. Since thier are no Physical Immunes. Basic Hulk Smash build has no problems dishing it out. On the Down side. Certain range attackers. Especially the Liches in HF. And, the winged hussies who refuse to go melee with you can be a royal pain. (tip. Get a good haste weapon,to put them into hit recovery time, and walk them to a corner with you on the outside.

But...Because of the way magic is made available in D1. A warrior can build up some good spells on the side(just save +magic items to keep boosting what books you can open. Just remember that your mana and casting speed will require a more conservative use of magic.) or keep a good bow on the side. to offset the ones who refuse to go toe to toe.

The Warrior is definitely first choice for those who like it fast and furious, and to be in the thick of it and likes the Ahemm. Direct approach.

Sorcerers...

Plus side. A maxed out Mage has a lot of variety and can travel fast. And, can be fun as hell.

On the down side. On top of having to switch and improvise fast for dealing with two sets of baddies, because one will be immune to fire while the other is immune to lightning. There is also the headache that the word Resistance doesn't mean less damage from your elemental attack. So much as it means that many of your Fireballs will harmlessly pass through your opponent. I've also found that in my version of D1/HF, that many baddies have a strong resist. But, no listing for it.

I personally find that a good Knock back or fast speed bow is really handy for a mage to compensate for some of his weak points.

The Sorc is definitely for the more strategic player who accepts the need to improvise on the fly in exchange for being able to dish out huge damage and Strategic use of magic.

Rogue... My personal favourite for both D1 and D2.

On the up side. Awesome range attack and speed. With the bow it's possible to take out baddies in a room while standing in a doorway with out even seeing them. Just shoot in a direction. When you hear a hit. Keep shooting in that direction til you hear him die without bringing down other baddies. Death by Sonar. Unlike the mages lightning attacks which can bring out all the skels in the Chamber of bone before you get to the doorway.

She's also incredibly well balanced for those who want to mix Might and Magic. So, you can really combine the best of both worlds.Think of a slight mix of Amazon and Assasin from D2LoD.

On the downside. Both her bow and magic attacks can be rough to utilize against large crowds in open spaces. Especially when thier the ones who like to utilize zig zag movements to move in on you.

Which can require select use of spells, luring them to narrow areas, or around and along walls for better control and aim.

Rogue is definitely for those who like variety and strategic use of resources. And, prefer or don't mind the extra effort/time to set up your opponents.
  4. Lanthanide

I think you've got this a little muddled.

Monsters that are resistant to an element will still take 25% damage from it, and the fireballs will still stop and explode on them (damaging anything else in the splash radius). It is immune monsters that will result in spells flying harmlessly past them.

5. jimbtx

jimbtx IncGamers Member

Maybe it's a glitch in my pc. Or it's being considered a miss by the AI. But, I see way to many bolts and balls just not connecting unless I'm close enough to kiss them. And,even then I occassionally get one that I can't see how it missed. But, the second bolt hit it.

This is one of the reasons I prefer Area damage spells and Guardians. Guardian has a better hit ratio than my Uber Rogue.
  6. HegemonKhan

HegemonKhan IncGamers Member

this might be because u reached sprite limit (like u casted too many chain lightnings charged bolts and they are still traveling off screen). so any new spells won't hit anything..

...err, nevermind, i just remembered when u reach sprite limit u can NOT cast any more spells.
  7. Devil Squid

My favorite has got to be the warrior right now. He's the class were you can bash someone in the head and be able to stand and fight without dieing as fast as the other classes. The warrior in my opinion is the easiest to beat the game. ------------------------------ ( Hardest to easiest ) ------------------------------- 1st. Sorcerer ...to be cotinued.
  8. Devil Squid

...Having the lowest health out of all the class makes him weak physicaly makes the levels before getting the mana shield difficult. Add that various resistances and immunitys make the sorcerer's life difficult. ------------------------------ 2nd Rouge Although one of the most fun classes, rouges can provide a challenge. Relativly frail, you have to be careful who you let hit you or could be another of the labrinths victims. Espcialy when your fighting...
  9. Devil Squid

...when your fighting a monster that take a long time to kill. Which leads to a big game of cat and mouse. ------------------------------ 3rd Warrior When your talking about the warrior all you needs is potions (Health) and good armor+resistance. I am a novice diablo player and I beat the game wit him in a month. ------------------------------ Post your comments about this topic. -------------------------------Peace, Squid
  10. Lanthanide

Please don't triple post.

The warrior is definitely the easiest class for new players, but for veterans the Sorc is the easiest. That is to say, it is much harder to master the sorc than it is the warrior, but once you do master the sorc, he is much more powerful than the warrior.

Also the warrior is very much the red-headed step-child when it comes to Nightmare and Hell difficulties, whereas the Sorc and Rogue can handle the increased difficulty without much hassle at all.
  11. Flux

Flux Administrator

This isn't an argument about D1 (since magic is so much faster killing than melee/bow, and sorcs cast so much faster than the other classes) but it would be a more interesting debate in hellfire. Not that anyone really played the Crypt that much, since there were no bosses and it got boring, but with all of the small rooms and narrow hallways, and all of the FI/LI monsters, sorcs were no longer necessarily the uber killers? (Ignoring the apocalypse spell, for the sake of the argument.)

A high level D1 rogue is faster than a sorc on 15 if soul burners spawn. Those witches are harder for sorcs than advocates on 16, since they have higher hit points, they run away and cluster more, and they will ruin golems. Plus whatever else spawns on 15 isn't necessarily as easy as the slow, straight walking blood knights.

High level rogues are definitely faster on 16, especially if they have the gear to go mini-mage for half the level, luring out the blood knights for lvl 18 fireball disposal. Going with bow and stone curse and golem is much faster than a sorc stone cursing and teleporting around and whacking away at the triple immune advocates.

So by extension, I'd think a high level rogue could be as fast or faster than a sorc in the crypt levels, where there are lots of LIFIs, and triple immunes too. Or could a sorc who learned to use bone spirit and blood star wield those quickly enough to kill faster than a rogue? That there are just 4 hotkeys is a big handicap, if you ever had to use FB, Chain, and magic spells on the same level, along with stone curse and teleport.

The other possibility is a Bard. She doesn't have the mana or the magic or the casting speed to match a mage, but she can dual wield dreamflanges and leave a mini mage rogue in the dust, and she can dual wield ksoh or other big weapons (or ksoh/dreamflange) and rip through triple immunes much faster than a sorcerer. I think for some HF crypt monster combinations a good bard would be the fastest.

The caveat to all of this is Apocalypse It doesn't work over walls in HF, but it's just devastating to triple immunes or LIFIs. It's an enormous mana drain, but it's such a fast killer that it's still well worth it. So of course a sorc is the fastest in Hellfire, with a good level of apoc capable of going through FILIs in a blink... but if you ban apoc... it's an interesting debate.
  12. Lanthanide

How about about a sorc in D1 with a bountiful staff of Apoc (36 charges)? Do you reckon that would even things out a little against the Rogue?
  13. Devil Squid

I think it would. ------------------------------ Peace, Squid :)
  14. ravenlore

ravenlore IncGamers Member

I will divide into categories...

best for lvling- sorc
    best for equipping- sorc
    best for pvp - sorc
    best for item running- sorc

Sorc is just a cheeser class. There's no way in the game to improve other chars cast-rate, so you're always bouncing around with a sorc dealing huge amounts of dmg with a 100% impenetrable mana shield. Sure the other classes kill things like soulies better, but (A) lvling a sorc on 15 isn't near optimal, and (B) if you're going for items you play hell on normal where you can chain the packs of soulies with ease. A sorc playing on hell mode trying to melee trip immunes for an hour would be a player error in strategy and not a class fault.

There was an era in this game where it made sense to say "play a warr first to get your feet when but then a sorc will be easiest later on" ... I don't anymore due to the fact that there's a jillion hack-and-slashes out since the 90s and I dont think learning a caster to a totally new game for someone should be that hard anymore.

(no comment on hellfire)
  15. AntAnkh

AntAnkh IncGamers Member

Why make categories if you feel the sorcerer is better overall? Unless, of course, you were trying to make a point.

Since Hell/Hell is the place you would be leveling in after ~35, assuming you have decent items, it wouldn't be a strategy error playing as a sorcerer on 15/16 and trying to melee triple immunes, especially if you use a good weapon like Civerb's Cudgel.

Are all hack n' slash games released so similar to Diablo that anyone could make a sorcerer? Recommend me some if there are, I'd like to try them.

Also, could you please elaborate on '100% impenetrable Mana Shield'?

EDIT: Flux's ideas are quite interesting. Has anyone ever tested them out?
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  16. zeusonline

zeusonline IncGamers Member

depends upon what you want with diablo 1 i think?
    If you just want to play through single player, then they're all quite equal.
    Moving on to multiplayer:
    Sorc is the fastest of the three for most dungeon lvls....only parts of the dungeon where i think he is slightly slower would be lvl 1-4 on normal due to his lack of spells at the early levels and lvl 15-16 on hell difficulty due to lots of triple immunes.

The rogue and warrior might not be as fast as the sorc, but they can stay in the dungeon forever...with the right gear you could probably go through the entire dungeon on hell difficulty without returning to town. The warrior is particularly good for this style, due to mana/life steel.

But for the most part i'd say that the rogue and sorceror are better at high levels.