Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Barbarian single-target DPS challenge!

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by ElementEight, Apr 29, 2012. | Replies: 76 | Views: 10395

1. ElementEight

ElementEight IncGamers Member

The Barbarian single-target DPS challenge!

Current top iterations:

Maniac/Best Served Cold: Potential 20% damage bonus to big cooldowns, depending on how Maniac is to be interpreted. Has healing in bonus. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WViTjP!ZYc!cZacZZ

Instigation/Smash: Alternates Instigation and Smash at high fury levels so that the latter can benefit from Berserker Rage. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#aZiTjP!ZYc!YZacZZ

Instigation/Dread Bomb: Drop yourself below 20% health and spam Dread Bomb once at max fury. Could potentially replace the Weapon Master passive with Animosity for 60% more damage on Dread Bomb at the expense of whatever Weapon Master provides. Very dangerous to use, to the point of unviability. Has area of effect damage in bonus. I can confidently say that this build has the highest potential damage dealing capability in the entire game. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#afiTjP!YcU!YcacZZ

Dear Barbarian forums,

I challenge thee.

Friends and I have been planning our party for months, only to realize that we lacked burst single-target damage dealing capabilities. We have also come to realize that I was the only player without a very defined role, so much that I, the Barbarian, was forcefully elected (without complains on my part) to become our dedicated single-target damage dealer.

Goal and "rules":

-The goal of this thread is to come up with the highest possible single-target damage dealing build for the Barbarian.

-You cannot pick the Brawler passive.

-If you are to bring in maths, just create your own situation. As long as you compare the same stats, you should be able to figure out what the best build is. While it is true that certain builds probably scale better, we just don't currently have enough information to determine anything precisely. You are invited to use your imagination rather than raw numbers.

-The seemingly best builds for our purpose (supported by the best arguments) will be posted up! (updated).
    Last edited: May 2, 2012
  2. Superstate

Superstate IncGamers Member

Re: The Barbarian single-target DPS challenge!

Remove whichever outside of the holy trinity (prim gen, marauders, insanity) and insert BSC. Done!
  3. NotUsed

NotUsed IncGamers Member

4. Such Violent Storms

Such Violent Storms IncGamers Member

The OP's build is good, yet there's still some factors that could change skill choice.

If you get hit a lot, Revenge could work.
    If the fight lasts longer than 90 seconds, having WotB and CotA reduced cooldown with boon of bulkathos could yield more damage than Ruthless passive.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WVSijP!YcS!ccaaaZ

And of course, the Barbarian would be using an item that granted 14% more damage to Frenzy.
  5. Snerra

Snerra IncGamers Member

Heh, fun challenge. One would probably have to break out the math, but I'm not smart enough for that. I'd go for this: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WcSiTP!YWZ!cbaacZ

I think rend every 3 seconds will be superior to CotA in longer fights - and since we now have a fury spender, Beserker Rage is changed to Animosity.
    However, for pure damage, I'd pick Weapon Throw (Dread Bomb) instead of Furious Charge: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WcfiTP!YWZ!cbcacZ With animosity, that's 460% weapon damage with a full fury bubble. Furious Charge adds some utility, and allows you to catch up to the monster (i.e. The Skeleton King), but if you ignore that possibility then Dread Bomb.
  6. ElementEight

Not sure what you meant by BSC.

I see what you're trying to do, but I fear the time you spend using an inferior damage dealing generator is going to hurt the overall DPS "chart". It does open up the possibility of using Bash x 2, Hammer of the Ancients x 1 repeatedly in order to have it benefit from Berserker Rage.

The big cooldowns are really hard to judge, because while they hit extremely hard themselves (making them amazing for burst), over such long cooldowns, other skills are certainly be able to deal more. As for getting hit, I'm not our tank. As an aside, merely using Frenzy + Maniac yields something like 230%, which is really close if not over what revenge can do, so I'm unconvinced about it even if I were to be hit enough for constant procs. Boon is certainly a good idea if the fight is to last over 90, that's for sure.

You make a good point with Rend, though I see not why you'd want to use it over Smash; yes, HotA/Smash deals 1% less damage, but it has an innate 5% critical chance, which definitely outweights the damage. Once again, we'll have to see how long fights last to judge the usefulness of CotA in delivering damage.

We'd need someone to calculate the advantage of expanding fury with WT/Dread Bomb versus that of benefiting from Berserker Rage with Frenzy/Maniac.

---

Good posts thus far, there's certainly a lot of thinking to be done here.

7. Snerra

Snerra IncGamers Member

Regarding Rend - hmm, yeah, Smash would seem like the better choice here. Missed that one :eek:
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  8. NotUsed

NotUsed IncGamers Member

Overpower in my build is for 10% more crit for 6 sec and I was thinking Bash x1 HotA x1 but for this you need -5Fury Hota weapon and +3fury per hit... hard to get but imho it would make top single target dps especially with high crit rate. And yes keep BR up all the time.

Why do you call Bash inferior? even with bash x2 and high crit rate thx to other skills, it should bring high single target dps.

9. arcanedreams

arcanedreams IncGamers Member

10. ElementEight

Bash does a lot less DPS than Frenzy. Maniac also improves all of your damage by 4% per stack (20%) as long as you keep it up, which could end up being massive if you use it as you use EQ or CotA.

This seems good, but we'd really need to math out whether or not having a certain crit bonus for a certain duration is worth the inferior damage brought by Revenge and Overpower.

11. arcanedreams

arcanedreams IncGamers Member

True, but with that build you wanted to focus on single target boss fights, and we don't know how long the average boss fight will be, and from the videos ive seen, most testers who have been in inferno say damage is not king, you NEED defensive stuff in there.

But all that aside, the build I posted gets you over 50% crit on single target with +50% bonus to crit and lots of bonus damage with hammer.

I can't wait for the game so the theory crafting will make more sense haha. everything we do at this point we have to take with a grain of salt!

12. Greystone

Greystone IncGamers Member

If I was building a barbarian that had the sole purpose of bursting down a boss mob I would probably choose a build like this: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#aRkTjP!ZYV!ZcZbcZ With zero fury you can cast war cry and then bash the mob roughly 5x and be at 100 fury and instantly cast wotb, earthquake and cota and ignore pain. That's a STUPID amount of damage layered together all at once and it can be done from zero fury. I can't imagine much being able to deal with 4000% weapon damage earthquake, your ancients doing double damage with one of them landing 2 500% leaps, your bashes doing 388%, and the boss taking 75% of it's own damage for each attack it lands on you, all at once. Layer all that together and it's retarded. If I was starting out with full fury and the boss mob could manage to outlive all 3 of those stacked at once then I could easily drop wotb+earthquake and let them play out followed by cota+ignore pain for 30 seconds of pwnage.
  13. Karpalo

Karpalo IncGamers Member

You left quite a bit crucial knowledge open. What's the time frame and is flying start allowed? (Full frenzy stacks, full fury bar etc.)
  14. NotUsed

NotUsed IncGamers Member

Maniac doesn't improve overall damage by 4% per stack (20%), it only improves damage of Frenzy. Bash+Punish improves dmg of other skills like CotA or EQ.

With the right gear aka -5Fury cost for CotA, and posibility to use CotA every bash I don't see another build managing to out dps it.

15. ElementEight

Which videos and testers are you refering to?

Where do you hold this information from? The wording seems to indicate that all damage is increased by 4% per stack. Otherwise, it would be worded the same way the attack speed bonus is, or so I assume.

16. NotUsed

NotUsed IncGamers Member

That's the only thing that makes sense to me although my English is not good.
    For me it means that on 5 stacks of Frenzy I will get 75% increase in attack speed and 20% in damage in Frenzy skill.

In Bash+Punish

it clearly states all skills.
  17. ElementEight

My logic is that they're trying to exclude non-skill sources of damage (thorns/reflect, weapon elemental damage) from the equation with the Bash/Punish rune, while Maniac would effect all sources regardless. In addition, we can see that Punish is basically Bash's equivalent to the Maniac rune; we see many effects mirrored, with Onslaught = Sidearm, Smite = Stun, and such. It would therefore make sense that it'd be trying to improve other skill's damage (or all of your sources, though weirdly put).

18. Siege Valgore

Siege Valgore IncGamers Member

19. ElementEight

Not coming up properly. ;|

Edit: This brings up a very good discussion; are you better to use Frenzy and Furious charge + Berserker Rage OR Bash and Hammer of the Ancients + some other passive?

20. NotUsed

NotUsed IncGamers Member

Yeah, link is without any passives.
    ElementEight you know my opinion, keep max fury with bash and use BR for increased HotA dmg.
    I don't know how you can't see superiority ^^ of my build.
    BTW.
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#aZiVTP!ZYc!YZaZcZ

just to see Eq and WotB scaling.

Edit: I didn't think you want to use Furious Charge as damage skill, I though you just wanted it as a gap closer to constantly be in fight. I will use HotA >3 times and you will use 1 time Furious Charge.
    Last edited: May 1, 2012