Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The 78th Annual Academy Awards, Hosted by Jon Stewart ifra

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by PatMaGroin, Mar 6, 2006. | Replies: 126 | Views: 4232

1. PatMaGroin

PatMaGroin IncGamers Member

The 78th Annual Academy Awards, Hosted by Jon Stewart

So I decided to finally sit down and watch this year. Are they always this boring? Jon Stewart's doin alright, but you can tell the actors don't like being made fun of, so it looks like he kinda holds back on some of his jokes. Ben Stiller's presentation with the 'green screen suit' was kinda dumb, Dolly Parton (Pardon?)'s song was pretty good, but overall this has been a very forgettable program.
  2. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

I've never seen an entertaining awards show of any kind.
  3. FreezerBurn

FreezerBurn Banned

never watched them. forgot they were even on. just turned it on to see jon stewart. seems like he's kind of holding back on the sarcasm to avoid offending anyone.

as for everyone else, they talk way too ****ing much. without actually saying anything.
  4. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

Talking isn't neccisarily communicating.
  5. PatMaGroin

PatMaGroin IncGamers Member

Crash won best movie? I guess I really need to see that.
  6. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I can't remember which awards it was, but one of them had Chris Rock presenting. He didn't hold anything back, it was awesome. He introduced Good Charlotte as "Good Charlotte - huh. More like a mediocre Green Day". Maximum pwnage.
  7. FreezerBurn

FreezerBurn Banned

^^MTV Music Awards

Stewart did get better once he started to react to what was happening and got away from the script. Like after Three 6 Mafia won for best original score. Basically, he was the only part of the awards worth watching. But his recap of it will probably be infinitely better tomorrow night.
  8. CookiesnCream

CookiesnCream IncGamers Member

That Dolly Parton performance was terrible.....
  9. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Oh yeah, that's right.
  10. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

yes, of course, all award shows are bad
  11. Cannon Fodder

Cannon Fodder IncGamers Member

I'm sorry, but do celebrities really need their ego's stroked any more? No. End the award shows and give the people who actually watch that drivel a few minutes of their lives back. /rant
  12. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

my opinion

reward good movies, I don't want the same ****ty pretentious movies winning awards every year
  13. FreezerBurn

FreezerBurn Banned

^^perhaps you'd like to share your opinion on what constitutes a "good" movie.

crash was an excellent movie. i thought parts were a little too contrived, but the overall story and acting more than made up for it. and it's hard to say any movie was that much better that it should have won.

i thought charlize theron should have won best actress over reese witherspoon. but i guess you can only give one of the world's hottest women an academy award for acting ugly so many times.

but overall, this year was a far cry from titanic beating out pulp fiction and shawshank redemption.
  14. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

Box office gross and family friendliness. Those are the only two criteria movies should be judged by. Non-family oriented movies should be disqualified from competition immediately. The box office gross should then be used to rank movies. Conformity with christian family values can be used as a tie breaker.

The french classicists had the right idea. Only fault they had was that they turned to Aristotle instead of Walt for rules to guide their work toward perfection.
  15. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

There's only one thing that I am interested in about the Awards, (other than ogling some of the starlets' gowns): how much lower was viewership for this travesty than in previous years.

If the numbers are kept quiet, I consider it good news - it means Hollywierd's self-obsession is resonating even less with the country.

I think it is pretty telling that Crash was so 'recognized', when the original intent was to promote Humpback Mountain. The 31337 must have realized that not only would they look stupid in giving so much recognition to a movie with very low box office receipts and nothing extraordinary about it, but that their agenda in doing so would be in the spotlight.

And here's Ann.
  16. Draconis

Draconis IncGamers Member

Just a question jmervyn. Have you seen Brokeback Mountain? Or Crash? Or Capote? Or, in fact, any of the films that you are joining Ann Coulter in deriding?

Or are you just going to assume that no film about gay people, racism or Jews can ever be as good as some 'proper' film with... what? What do you think should win Best Picture? Do you even have an opinion, or is this just another excuse to bash gays and Californians?
  17. Pitboss_2000

Pitboss_2000 IncGamers Member

She's only wrong with roughly half of her predictions, not bad for someone wearing blinders.
  18. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

:rolleyes: Yes. The gay agenda of the evil Hollyweird *** Atheists.

Good thing the redneck caveman crowd has that loudmouth tard Coulter to speak for them. Someone has to stand up for safe topics, traditional treatment and putting money first.

Aren't you afraid your brain might rot when you read that crap, jmerv?
  19. innorton38

innorton38 IncGamers Member

Well first you'd have to have a brain and if you're promoting anything written by Ann Coulter, we can pretty much rule that out.

As for the awards, I only half watched them so I can't really comment except to say I thought it was really awkward when they played the music over the speech of the Best Picture winners! I mean I can understand them playing over the best animated short winners or something but come on, the best picture??

EDIT: The early numbers are in on the ratings and they are down from last year a bit but up from two years ago so it looks about average.
  20. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

I'll snap you back on this one. I'm not joining Ann, though I'm always amused by her - while I condemn is the Left Coast in general, my problem is with the self-congratulatory mentality of the film industry. In fact, I pretty much despise the big business that is Hollywierd at this point, not just for political reasons but because they generally turn out crap. Indie movies are far more interesting, and most of what I've considered worthwhile in the past is coming from the small studios.

I have no interest in what they've been peddling lately, true - OMG I must be teh KKKRISTIAN FASXIST!! RACIST RACIST BLCD!!

Most of the movies I think were worth spit are all 3-5 years old or more; I think that the last interesting film you'd qualify as "proper" which the industry turned out was American History X (about neo-Nazi's and the culture of hate), though "Boys don't cry" wasn't bad. Obviously I must be a brownshirt, since I don't particularly enjoy things that rely on offensive values to sell themselves.

I'd be more afraid of it happening from Humpback Mountain, or worse yet, Fantastic Four...