Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The 680 debate

Discussion in 'Tech Support for Diablo 3, Battle.Net & Systems' started by Chaboi, Mar 30, 2012. | Replies: 31 | Views: 1681

1. Chaboi

Chaboi IncGamers Member

The 680 debate

My computer is completely stacked for D3, except for the video card. I have a GTX 470 that can run D3 at max settings and SC2 at max settings simultaneously while maintaining 60 FPS. The issue, however, is that even when running only diablo the card gets upwards of 70c and I have to have the fan at 80% to keep it at 70c.

The fan is SOOOO LOUD, seriously, it can be heard across the house. I know it's more of a luxury, but do you think it's worth it to upgrade to the 680 for the quietness?
  2. Namik

Namik IncGamers Member

Re: The 680 debate

The old Fermi 470/480 are known for high temps and laudness.

It all depends how much you value quietness. If you now upgrade to GTX680 you will have it for years (since new consoles won't come out at least until 4th quarter 2013). If you have the money I would say, yes. But for sake of any gods you belive, never buy referent cards. Ever. Go with Gigabyte/Asus/MSI etc., at least those 3 have always far superior cooling systems then standard NVidia (or AMD) version. Unless you want to just go WC.

The problem is that, right now all manufacturers use standard cooling on GTX680. For example, Gigabyte hasn't made 680 with their Windforce 3 colling system yet. You can always switch to 580 if you want to switch it as soon as possible, it will be more then enough for years also, and later on you can buy second one for SLI.
  3. Tilitoon

Tilitoon IncGamers Member

You might want to use this cooler : Accelero Xtreme III VGA Cooler. It seems you might need the VRM heatsinks tough (shame on you for buying the 470 :smug:).
  4. gruenel

gruenel IncGamers Member

I don't know if you play other games, but a 680 would be COMPLETE overkill for SC2/D3.

The cards available right now are not exactly quiet under load either.

I'd suggest you save a lot of money and just get an aftermarket VGA cooler like Tilitoon suggested.
  5. Tilitoon

Or you could also get this :
    Ek 470GTX
    [​IMG]

And this :
    XSPC Reservoir Laing DDC Top Combo
    [​IMG]

And this :
    DDC Pump
    [​IMG]

And this:
    2x120mm Radiator
    [​IMG]

And this:
    2x Noctua NF-F12 fans
    [​IMG]

Your GPU won't get higher than 45 degrees at full load and it'll be super quiet.
  6. mike20599

mike20599 Banned

Are there any water cooling systems that can connect to both your CPU and GPU?
  7. Misiek000

Misiek000 IncGamers Member

8. Tilitoon

Add a CPU waterblock to my list and add 1 or 2x120mm radiator and you will be set :)

9. Sulle

Sulle IncGamers Member

Chaboi maybe getting a new case would be a solution for you.

I.e. Antec specializes in quiet computing. I have an Antec p183 myself with a lot of cooling, but I almost can´t hear anything since it´s got layers of alluminium and plastic.

it´s also a really pretty minimalistic design apart from the p193. The only negative thing about it, is that it´s pretty heavy. Whatever you choose, I hope it works out for you :)

http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=MTgwOA==
  10. Namik

Namik IncGamers Member

Your case would have to be like bunker to silence 470, especialy if it's referent. Of course, good case can help (like my Fractal Design R3), but the problem is that GTX470 is just too loud.
    My PC is on my desk, like 30cm away from me and I can't hear my Gigabyte GTX460. Unless I play THe Witcher 2, then my card get's a bit loud, but still, I can't hear it from like 3meters away.
  11. mike20599

mike20599 Banned

With water cooling kits, how exactly do you secure the tubes to make sure no water leaks out and fries your stuff?
  12. Coolhwip

Coolhwip IncGamers Member

With compression fittings. You also have to bleed the loop to get rid of air bubbles and usually at the same time you test for leaks. This is usually done by jump starting your PSU or a spare one (connect green and any black wire with a paper clip and no you wont' get electrocuted if you touch it, I've done it many times) to power the pump and have it run for a period of time placing paper towels under any spot where leakage may occur and tilting the case to make sure the air bubbles are flushed out of the loop.
  13. Chaboi

Chaboi IncGamers Member

I have the HAF X, it doesn't get any better for airflow or ambient cooling. I'm also in Portland Oregon where ambient temps haven't been above 25c all year. I don't think it's the case, but I'll keep that in mind.

14. Chaboi

Chaboi IncGamers Member

Well, to be fair my 470 performs as well as a 570, I've had it for exactly 2 years, and it only cost $249. It's been a great value card but the
    Noise is distracting at times. I've always purchased EVGA cards because of their warranty, but the ASUS Cards with their cooling systems look legit. Anyone have feedback on which version to get?

15. Chaboi

Chaboi IncGamers Member

Ive done research on those coolers, it seems the cooler itself, due to its lack of tapping into the video card's power, shorts the entire card very frequently. I just don't think a 100 dollar cooler that might create a 350 dollar paperweight is worth the risk.

16. Namik

Namik IncGamers Member

I can easly recommend Gigabyte with it's Windforce 2 or 3. I have GTX460 and my brother has GTX560ti and both are very quiet and very effective. I can't hear my GPU even though my PC is 30cm away from my ears and it's like that when I play most games. It get's louder only when I play The Witcher 2, and still I hear only wind flow and not fans themselves. Also I can't hear my PC outside my room even on full load.

17. Tilitoon

If you have never installed an aftermarket cooler yourself then the Accelero Extreme might not be your best option because it's not the easiest to mount. But if done properly I don't see any problems with it, except that it's huge...

There are other options too such as the GELID VGA Cooler Rev. 2 ICY VISION which is smaller. Those "open design" coolers should also perform better if you have a good airflow in your case.

But really, if it was me I wouldn't personally change the video card at this point or install an aftermarket cooler unless the noise level would be driving me insane, but I don't think it's that bad in your case.

One thing you could do would be to underclock your video card... it should still be powerful enough to handle DIII. Unfortunatly since it's a blower type design you can't add a fan next to it to cool it even more... Have you cleaned it with compressed air ? Maybe the fan / fins are dusty, this might also help.
  18. gruenel

gruenel IncGamers Member

There's no way an aftermarket cooler shorts out a card unless installed improperly.

Actually, those coolers keep the card at a way lower temperature, thus extending the lifespan of the components.

I've been using 3rd party coolers for years and never had a problem. However, the installation can be tricky if you're not that computer-savvy.

By the way, did you enable VSync in Diablo? That helps keeping the card at a lower temperature.

19. Chaboi

Chaboi IncGamers Member

Lol yes V-sync is enabled. I'd consider my PC savvy high, http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/...page2&highlight=Where will you be playing POV click the link and view post #16 for my computer specs and pix. There's nothing I can do from an airflow standpoint to improve..I wired it myself.

As far as that cooler, the newegg reviews really scare me. Perhaps I should record a video of me playing, show the temps, The noise, and get feedback from you guys on if I'm just being a sissy about the noise.

So far, you guys don't think the upgrade is worth it?

20. gruenel

gruenel IncGamers Member

Well if you really want to buy a new card, definately don't buy a reference design 680 because it will be loud, too.

Either wait till designs with alternate cooling show up, or get something like the Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 OC, which is probably the quietest high-end video card available right now.