Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Tempest Rush build, think it's possible?

Discussion in 'Monk' started by windstriker, Nov 2, 2012. | Replies: 21 | Views: 11855

1. windstriker

windstriker IncGamers Member

I've been playing with the thought of creating a tempest rusher for farming the last few days. Basically, it's supposed to be able to run through normal mobs and (almost) instantly kill them and it should have enough spirit regen to only have to stop for killing elites. With any kind of monster power you would need insane gear, but it might be possible with good gear in act 3 MP0.

Today I tried this with a couple of different skill setups. I am able to get enough spirit regen to never have to stop, and survivability hasn't been a problem. The problem is to just get "enough" spirit regen and survivability to max dmg in the end.

Tempest Rush costs 10 spirit while channeling, which apparently is more than 10/sec

From gear you can get 2.5 from helm and 2.5 from each weapon

Passive skills gives you a total of 3 spirit regen when using both Exalted Soul and Chant of Resonance.

Sweeping wind with inner storm gives 3 regen

Mantra of healing can give you 3 regen

You seem to need somewhere around 8-10 spirit regen in the end to be effective.

I'm trying to go for 2.4 spirit regen from a helm, 3 from sweeping wind and 3 from passives so 8.4 in total. It will mean I have to stand still and regen while killing some elites once in a while, but I should be able to get out more dmg. I'm skipping OWE and Seize because they're not really needed for me on MP0. Im keeping transcendence to always stay on full life.

I do not seem to need my LoH weapon in any way either, so trying to choose a weapon only based on dog. Thinking about buying a Skorn, but it's a little bit expensive for just playing around. Someone who's using a big *** 2-hander who could give me a clue of about how well it could work with a somewhat good Skorn?

With the weapons and helm Im trying out atm I can reach 75k DPS and it feels like it should work with about 125k DPS. With a good 2-hander, 125k DPS isn't that hard to reach right? Anyone got any tips on how to get this to work? It should be awesome for farming :D

This is my character. It's quite fluctuating atm while Im trying out stuff
    http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Faffner-1572/hero/357121
  2. GoldenredDragon

GoldenredDragon IncGamers Member

If you want to make this work, you absolutely MUST use a two-hander, and "THe Guardian's Path" passive. And the Templar with the spirit regen.

In short, with both of those, all your spirit generation (Be it by generators, or by regeneration) is increased by 35% (or 47% with the templar).

That is just HUGE. I use it on my Bell Monk, and it's incredible. With just circular breathing and chant of resonance, I get 7+ spirit regeneration. Add in sweeping wind, and you're above 10 very easily !

So yes, I guess it would work, judging by this guy's video.

G.R.D. (The Guardian's Path with a two-hander.)
  3. Crunchy II

Crunchy II IncGamers Member

From what I understand you use a two-hander as the spirit cost of Tempest Rush is dependant on attack speed. If you want to test a two-hander a Warmonger with CHD and a socket is a lot cheaper than a Skorn with leech. Presumably you could get away with a Skorn with no leech if you're only doing Act 3 MP0.
  4. Pizzarino

Pizzarino IncGamers Member

I had no idea. So if you REALLY wanted a tempest rush only build you would want no attack speed on your gear at all?
  5. windstriker

Same here, I've totally missed this! That changes everything, then I understand why I lose my spirit so insanely fast with my 2.03 aps. Also had completely forgotten about the templars passive.
    My gear is strong enough for me to take 2 of the spirit regen passives and still surviving easily (even though I lose 400 AR with OWE) so regen should not be much of a problem with these tips. Do not seem to be needing any LS or LoH either so far, even though it would ofc be helpful I guess.
    Time to find a big 2-hander to try this out with.

Also fun to see this video, there's always someone who's before you with trying these things out :)
  6. windstriker

Seems like Im starting to get this to work now. It's easy to reach enough spirit regeneration, but you do loose a lot of DPS by not using conviction aura or using Inner Storm on SW (better with Inner Storm imo, less dmg loss).
    Survival is probably troublesome for most people, you need a lot of AR instead of OWE resistance. This only because we're all so used with OWE, if people went just for armor and AR like all other classes this wouldn't be much of a problem. So you may need to change some of your gear because of this.
    DMG is still an issue. You need a big, slow weapon like Skorn for this to have any chance of working. I bought one for 500k with 1300+ DPS and dex which was almost enough. With 1400+ DPS on it I think it would work fine.

Like mentioned before, the spirit cost of tempest is dependent on AS. Because of this, you need a slow weapon (1.0 aps). You will also need to get rid of most of your +AS eq, which is a real pain. Im not likely to stop using my inna's pants.
    I do not really understand this design by blizzard. It means that tempest rush is awesome for a guy using Skorn, but feels quite mediocre for dual wielders. For this build, AS affix on gear is just something negative.
    So anyway, if you like tempest rush as a means of transportation between mobs while farming, I believe a Skorn with LS would be your cup of tea :)
  7. zorroaster

zorroaster IncGamers Member

I tried it with skorn (life after kill, cause its cheap) MoH/circ, SW/inner and exalted soul, so a total of 7 spirit/seconds. It felt enough for me,. I could run mp 1 easily (34 AS% on gear) , but tempest rush rubber-banding killed the fun sadly.
  8. Dogbert

Dogbert IncGamers Member

You do not get additional spirit regen from the templar. If you give him the inspire skill he simply boosts the amount of spirit you get from your spirit generator, in this case fists of thunder.

Fot generates 6 spirit/attack with the templar it would be 7 spirit/attack depending on how the game rounds up/down decimals.
  9. pulli

pulli IncGamers Member

Well the attack speed buff of the sorceress basically does the same (more attacks mean more spirit)... I also think a 2h even with guardian's path gives less spirit (unless you have somehow sick spirit/sec) than 2 1 handers..
  10. LizAngel

LizAngel IncGamers Member

I really, really question this. Inspire increases resource generation, which in this case means 12% spirit generation.

I have 13.99 spirit regen. When I dismiss my templar it returns to 12.84. So I don't think you are right.
  11. ADJMan

ADJMan IncGamers Site Pal

You are correct LizAngel, The Templar increases all generation, which is the same way Gaurdian's Path works. Gaurdian's Path + Templar's Inspire increase your spirit gen by 47%. That is all spirit regen including items. The wordings in game could be better about it though. I myself am trying to make this build work, currently my dps is high enough for Hell Mode farming, but my survivability is too low to jump into inferno even on MP0, which sucks. Once I can get my stats higher I will be working on Inferno Act 1 and working my way up to ACT 3, which is where I want to be.
  12. windstriker

Thought I should give this another try now when my gear has gotten somewhat improved.

Did some Alkaizer runs to test the speed (at MP0). One run took about 13-14 min, mobs died quite fast but only the absolutely weakest died from just one run-through. Still trying with a cheap Skorn, so could potentially boost my dmg quite a lot. Have to use Madstone to get enough spirit regen, which means that I lose 13k DPS which would be awesome to keep. Playing without any defensive passives, using fleet footed, guardians path and chant of resonance. Survival is usually not a problem as long as I keep serenity for some packs.

This build kind of does have potential. but you need really specific and some really expensive gear to get it to work. If blizzard made guardians patch work for dual wield with spirit regen, or lowered temperest rush cost to 8 or made so that the skill cost wasn't based on attack speed it would work. If you get it to work, you'd be able to even do these runs faster than the barbarians :)

I'll continue to upgrade my gear and eventually I'll be there :D Hopefully Blizz makes a change or two in next patch that will make it easier!
  13. windstriker

SO, got this to really work for me a week ago or something. By now, this is a quite well-known build for monks that can afford it (it can be quite expensive the stuff you need). Upgraded my Inna's helm to one with close to full spiritregen, and also got myself a SoJ with SW dmg and almost perfect spirit regen. Also using 4 parts inna's for cheap SW and quite okay dmg. Playing with 2 passives that gives spirit, resonance and guardians path. Also playing with templar.
    I get just enough spirit to constantly run with SW and I can refresh it cheaply. Pretty much anything dies when I pass through, using SW rune with extra radius to hit everything. Not been playing much since I got this to work, but one alkaizer run MP0 is about 10 min atm. Think I can do it faster, we'll see.

Here's my profile:
    http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Faffner-1572/hero/357121

Anyone else here playing like this? Any advice on stuff I can improve? Would be fantastic if they gave us a useful offensive passive. Do not really have use of 10% more movement speed as I am already on 150%. Using Seize because, well, if I fall asleep I might just die while using this build without it. Only gaining life from globes atm. Could upgrade some parts I use, but do not really see the point atm at gaining more defense and my dmg seem to be enough.

I did btw try a build with cyclone strike instead of blind and boosting my spirit regen with Xephirian amu and another passive + using SoJ with -4 spirit cost for cyclone. Also used SW with spirit regen and Healing mantra with spirit regen. Reached 27 spirit regen in total. Sadly, it wasn't effective even though it was quite fun because I lost loads of dmg, but mainly because I did still not have enough spirit regen to use tempest rush constantly and spam cyclone... Would've been effective with higher radius of Cyclone strike than 34 though. Also, Cyclone strike was a bit buggy when moving with tempest rush. Sometimes it did not correctly draw enemies to you, so you had to use it several times even though the mobs were quite close.
  14. Dogbert

Dogbert IncGamers Member

You are right. I only tested this with zero base spirit regen. And with zero base spirit regen his inspire skill didn't work. When i equipped an item with 1,22 spirit regen he increased it to 1,36 just like you say.

So you need to have atleast some base spirit regen for the templar inspire skill to work. That's what it looks like after some more testing.
  15. windstriker

That is correct, it does work just as Guardians Path does! Extra % on something that is zero will continue to be zero :)
  16. gakky

gakky IncGamers Member

Hi Striker.
    I found a nice dex skorn and built a tempest around it.
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/GAK-6148/hero/21891245
    Some tips for you : Zuni boots for 8% extra damage. Replace rare ring (that attack speed is costing spirit) with hellfire with critc. I put SSS on left click to kill elite packs instantly, and also be safe from reflects.
    Looking at your gear you must be getting 6.97 x 1.47 = 10.25 spirit per second. This doesn't seem enough to tempest non stop ?

I gave up on MOC because I found there was no way to get enough spirit without a Xephirian amulet, and am using Circular Breathing. Tried SW inner storm but found it cost too much time whenever I didn't have 3 stacks up.
    I've got 9.91 x 1.47 = 14.56. I need an extra 1.7/second to support SSS. It's also enough to drop the templar and rush friends.

For the weapon, DPS is great, but what is most important is the minimum damage.
  17. windstriker

Some good calculating there Gakky, that is indeed my spirit regen ;) Actually I'm usually using a Hellfire on that rings slot, but my dh has that one atm. Been farming a lot of hellfire's, but haven't found any with crit chance so given up on that one for the moment... Doing fine anyway!

My spirit regen is sufficient for the build because I use FoT to kill elites. Atm I loose 1 spirit/sec, so I can run for 100-150 sec without killing an elite and you always find a pack in that time. I do have a Xephirian which I've tried playing with, but I do prefer my mara's dmg and high crit. I've actually played this with 1.2 aps, and that does also work but you may have to run without tempest for 5-10sec/game.

MoC is quite awesome if you use submission. Then it does dmg in a 20 y radius which is awesome for this build where you want to hit everything when moving through. It's also constant dmg, and not spiky as critical hits which is really good here. I've tried both circular breathing and inner storm, but the dmg loss isn't worth it imo.

High spirit regen can be fun as hell to play with and it does indeed support the use of SSS. However, as I use blind anyway packs die in 2-5 sec so I do not need it. Reflect dmg can be a real *****, but as long as the mobs do not have horde affix also I'm safe because of my quite high allres and armor. I do never have to kite atm, but I need to use seize the initiative to be completely safe. Extra hp form health globes does also help for sure!

About Zunimassa, that is indeed a good tip for extra dmg. Now I have enough for instantkilling (almost) anything, so therefore I prefer the protection from my Ice climbers. If I didn't I'd probably go Zunimassa :)

Good to see more people started playing this build!
  18. windstriker

I'll start with that this build can make your monk the best farmer on MP0 there is in this game. WW/sprint barbs will however still be better because with gear worth as much as these monks they can run through MP1-2 at about the same speed as they do MP0.

I have been doing this for quite some time now so I almost thought about writing a short guide about it myself. However, there's a good guide on the US forums already so I'll link to that one instead!

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7199912895

Even though it's a good quide, it's not perfect. Therefore I'll add a few things.

- You do not NEED LS on your Skorn for this to work, but without LS you must have high allres + armor and some pickup radius + extra health from globes to survive reflect dmg packs.
    - You can do this with 10 spirit regen/sec but then you should not have more than 1.2 aps and preferably max 1.1 (you get this from inna's pants). The spirit you loose you'll gain when killing elites and teleporting.
    - The best inna's hat should have high spirit regen and +to SW dog, but this is almost impossible to buy 'cause there aren't any in the ah :)
    - His tips about MoC submission and SW Cyclone are well worth the read. I've tried them both with worse gear for this than I have now and it was worthless for me, but after reading his guide about them I tried them again with better gear and it's awesome. Extra CC to Tempest rush is also better than extra SW dmg for this build because you want the cyclones to come. I wish I knew that before buying my SoJ :D
    - You do not NEED a hellfire with CC but I would LOVE to have one. However, I've made about 20 of them and no CC so far so I stopped caring myself. If you have one already, fun for you and I hate you a bit ;)
  19. gakky

gakky IncGamers Member

I had a hellfire with crit http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/26/hellfire1a.jpg/ a few weeks ago and salvaged a heap of them including that one to make space :( Doh!
    I did some uber runs and made a few more and luckily got a 5.5 with extra health from globes on Saturday. Still have 21 machines left ...

You are right about submission it is very noticably stronger.
    I'm having trouble getting Inner Storm up fast enough. I'll try dropping SSS and use a generator as I have a little more AR now, maybe then I can use Cyclone too.
    Thanks I had just found that US forum and already posted there and got nice response from Druin.
  20. BaronScarpia

BaronScarpia IncGamers Member

I was lucky, since I found my inna's helm (armor and pants too, but the helm is good - even if life% isn't dream-coming-true, it can save some gold on the other pieces). I got a bad soj for cheap and grabbed stuff on bids on AH (skorn for ~100k, i.e.). Here's the partial result (and yep, I sold my emeralds :D).

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Baron-1545/hero/3132279

I was expecting a position on OWE before investing on monk gear. Problem is that I'm so, so noob I forgot about templar :crazyeyes:.

I will download PTR and if the buff is so, so huge as it seems, I'll invest on it.