Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Teamspeak ? and associated hardware...

Discussion in 'Tech Support for Diablo 3, Battle.Net & Systems' started by stonerdoom, Mar 31, 2012. | Replies: 2 | Views: 506

1. stonerdoom

stonerdoom IncGamers Member

Teamspeak ? and associated hardware...

Anyone planning on using this teamspeak program for D3? I have been aware of it, but i don't game with anything (until D3 comes) that would make it useful so I don't know much about it. Anyone care to give a quick tutorial for a noob on what it is/how it works. Further if you use it, what headset do you use/recommend? there are 100s and if i were to take the plunge, i dont have the $ to waste a subpar model.

thanks for your time.
  2. Tilitoon

Tilitoon IncGamers Member

Re: Teamspeak ? and associated hardware...

Those are rather big questions that would require elaborate answers :)

Most gamers who are comming from the competitive FPS scene or who have played WoW a lot with guildies will most likely use VoIP softwares. You will probably hear a few names mentionned here such as TeamSpeak, Ventrilo, Skype and Mumble. They are all pretty good programs for that purpose. Most of them requires you to buy a server so that you and your buddies can connect to it with the said program and them be able to talk to each other in real time with your headsets. This is an example of a Web site that offers these services : http://www.instantteamspeak.com. So for example, for 4$ a month, 10 people can simultaneously connect to your TeamSpeak server and talk to each other.

The configuration is pretty simple, once you download and install the program, you will need to enter the ip address of the server, the port number and the password. All these information will be given to you by the hosting company. Then you can configure the software to use your headset the way you like, for example you may prefer to press a key and hold it to talk, or you might prefer the software to automatically transfer your voice at any time.

For the heatsets themselves, there are many options, it depends on your budget. I'd say the Steelseries Siberia V2 are a pretty good choice for the price. You get decent game sound quality and a pull-out microphone. But it really depends on what you are looking for and what your budget it. The Siberia are closed type headphones which means you won't hear that much of outside noise. This has the advantage that you will easily be able to hear the in-game music as well as your buddies talking, but you won't be able to hear your wife calling you for dinner. Sennheiser obviously has some nice gaming headsets too.
  3. stonerdoom

stonerdoom IncGamers Member

Re: Teamspeak ? and associated hardware...

Thanks for the primer. Its appreciated.