Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

TCP/IP - "opening ports"?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by relliKniaP, Jan 20, 2008. | Replies: 4 | Views: 19291

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. relliKniaP

relliKniaP IncGamers Member

TCP/IP - "opening ports"?

Ive read some topics and ive tried almost everything. Im trying to play with a buddy and i still get "Cannot connect to server" :(
    Ill give some input and i hope someone can help :(

We both have original copy of the game
    We both have latest patch
    We both have latest ATMA
    We both have RWM
    We both have Windows Firewall turned OFF
    We used external IP (www.whatismyip.com) and not LAN IP (the one thats displayed in diablo)
    We both tried hosting
    We are both softcore
    We tried to meet in same difficulty and same Act
    I have 256kb DSL. My buddy has wireless
    Im from Europe. My buddy is from America, NY
    We both have gateway set to Europe, if that means anything

One thing i dont understand.... there was mention of "opening ports" in one of the threads i read before i made this thread. What does that mean and how can i do that?
  2. NeoKnuckles

NeoKnuckles IncGamers Member

"Opening ports" is something you need to do if you are connected through a router (if you're sharing internet with anyone, you're running through a router). In order to open ports you need to open up a web browser, and type in your local IP (typically 192.168.something). From there, you can fish around and try to find the open ports option (it's different with each router)

If you want, you can try to use hamachi. It is a LAN emulator, so if you're both connected to the same hamachi server, your computers will act like they're on a network, and from there, you can type in the TCP/IP address given to you by hamachi to join games
  3. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

www.portforward.com is a site that will tell you how to open ports for a specified program for numerous router types.

Forwarding ports is like opening them, allowing data/information sent from one computer to be accepted through to your router and computer (or something similiar.)
    With closed ports, the information won't get through.

Iirc Diablo uses ports 4000 and SC B.net (not sure about D2 B.net) uses 6112-6118. So opening/forwarding those ports should allow DiabloII data/communications with other people to get through.
    Either way, www.portforward.com will tell you which ports to open for Diablo and how to do it based on your router.
  4. relliKniaP

relliKniaP IncGamers Member

First off, tnx a lot for this informative post mate =D

My buddy has a wireless router so ill tell him to try this

Wow that seems like the best solution

5. Thyiad

Thyiad D2 Assassin, Barbarian<br>& Single Player & SP Tra

Firstly there is a very nice large Stickied, Technical Issues thread in the MP Forum. It is not decorative, you may use it.

Secondly portforward.com and Hamachi are covered in my MP Guide. Also in the Stickies. And my signature.

Please use the correct threads.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.