Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

TCP/IP Group for whole game

Discussion in 'MP Forum' started by hedley, Feb 12, 2013. | Replies: 6 | Views: 4049

1. hedley

hedley IncGamers Member

Hey,

I'm looking to see if there are any other guys out there interested in a TCP/IP group to go through the game with me. I recently got back into D2, but can't find anything but the cd's so I'm not on Bnet.

I really used to enjoy leveling with a small group early in the game, but then most people devolved into people getting rushed/doing runs to get rich quick. I want a group that we can play together and basically just use what we find and help each other out to get through the game together. I figured it would be fun with a decent group together.

Note: I would like to play without mods, 1.13d LOD version of the game. So I'm not looking for any character editor type stuff. Let me know if anyone is interested in this type of stuff. Also, I don't have any voice stuff on my computer so I'd be typing messages, not talking.

Hopefully there's a couple people out there who want in on this type of thing.
  2. Ladvarian

Ladvarian IncGamers Member

There is a sub-forum for these types of posts. This will probably be moved there soon. The MP Forum. Good luck with finding someone.

Edit: Just re-read your post. Here in the SPF we only use non-edited characters and no mods except for the FAM (Forum Approved Mods), RuneWordMod GoMule and ATMA. RedRuneMod and ColorRuneMod are no longer needed for 1.13 since the runes are colored now, but if you want to use them in previous patches they are approved. If you mean those mods then you want a group that is vanilla and state that in the post when you go to the MP sub-forum. If you have not already I encourage you to read the SPF rules. It clearly explains the policy on mods and the like.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  3. Jocular

Jocular IncGamers Member

There's actually a post on the MP forum that's about this specifically. However they're playing Hardcore, which you yourself may or may not like. If you do (you should; it's the best!) here's the post: http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/...-Anyone-want-another-steady-1-13-FAM-HC-group

It seems like they haven't started yet, but it also looks like they're going to be twinked (as in using gear found with other characters, rather than only gear found with the character they're using). If all these conditions look right to you...I suggest posting and getting a spot! I doubt they've 8 players yet. Also, some of the people here have accumulated so much D2 wealth that they'd be more than willing to lend you some gear. And other that are less fortunate will probably be happy to give as well.

I'd be up for some MP play, though my schedule is a bit crammed. Currently going to school, and working, so I'd only be able to play
    Friday- morning through 3:00 P.M.
    Saturday- 2:00 P.M. through midnight
    Sunday- morning through 3:00 P.M.

And these times are for U.S. west coast. I think it's minus 6 hours off of GMT...but I'm not sure.

Also, I highly suggest learning how to use GoMule/ATMA, and downloading RWM. RWM (or rune word mod) allows you to create ladder only runewords in single player which is extremely helpful for starting out. I'm looking at you, Insight and Spirit.

GoMule and ATMA are pretty much essential if you're going to play single player at any length and want to have more space than just your inventory and stash per character. Basically it allows you to use a program to easily store your D2 items, and move them from character to character. It also induces hoarding...but that's alright. We're all packrats here.

Hope you enjoy your stay at the SPF, and mind your shins!

P.S. As Ladvarian said, any editing and you're pretty much banned from multiplayer and trading around here...so no worries about that. The mods and the community work very hard to keep this SP (single player) community legit, and as such it's a small group and...wholesome? I dunno. Suffice to say, it's a nice place we've got here. If you enjoy, you're more than welcome.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2013
  4. hedley

hedley IncGamers Member

Thanks for getting back to me guys. I've posted in the Mac user forum section of this site to get some help. I downloaded GoMule but cannot access my character saves, and I haven't tried to download RWM yet, but mainly because I don't really understand the best way to install it on a mac. This is really my biggest problem, I run Diablo II as an app on my mac, and I'm using a Wineskin wrapper to use it. I'm not particularly savvy about this stuff, but just followed an install guide that shocked me that it actually worked.

Also, do you generally play through TCP/IP or through the Hamachi thing? I've seen almost everyone saying to meet on Hamachi but I don't understand if it's a safe program or if it's simple to use on a mac. I just guess I'm a bit wary of downloading a bunch of files and programs to my computer without understanding it a bit more.

Also, I checked out the hardcore link and it seems like they have 8 together already but I'll respond anyway. I've never played hardcore, mainly because I feel like there's just no hope for me to make it through, even through normal.

By the way, I really appreciate the community here (new member obviously), I know as Blizz updates D3 it will pull people away from Bnet on D2. This group on SP I could see maintaining themselves through that anyway.
  5. Jocular

Jocular IncGamers Member

If you're so inclined you can even make a "new member post" in the SPF, they're generally very well received as everyone here is happy to see the community grow.

I know the majority uses Hamachi. I've never actually used it before, but it seems safe. People that have been here for years and years (and therefore trustworthy) will probably swear by it, as it's tough to find someone to host over TCP/IP for various reasons. Dunno how it fares over a mac though.

Also, I felt the same exact way about playing Hardcore before I tried. All it takes is being much more careful, and understanding how to use all of the game mechanics and skills to best help your survival. There's already a thread over at the SPF regarding this: http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/...Questions-about-single-pass-untwinked-HC-play!
    as well another guide I found on google from 2008:
    http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/...A-Guide-to-Untwinked-single-pass-HC-play-V0-2

A lot of people find it more fun to play Hardcore because raises the difficulty of the game, and creates an actual penalty for playing recklessly/stupidly. I enjoy HC too...but mostly for tournaments.
  6. logoutzero

logoutzero IncGamers Member

We (the HC MP/SPF group) do use Hamachi. However, it doesn't actually do the hosting, it creates a virtual network, and assigns you a virtual I.P. address, so that you don't have to host using your actual "physical" I.P. address. We have a fairly regular group of ~3-5, and we regularly start new characters, even together as a group sometimes!

The community here is fantastic, and I can especially speak for the HC crowd. Help abounds abundantly, and the camaraderie is second to none. Hamachi is useful, as it also gives us on demand chat rooms (essentially, can explain more later if it's something you get into) but isn't required. All you are going to do is ask or be messaged the game details, whereas with Hamachi installed, all you have to do is ask "Who's hosting?"

This, our SPF, and subsequently, our SP(T)F and MP sub-forums are pretty strict. We have rules, and we have standards. When adhered to, you don't even realize they are there. Just be careful (if you get a muling application working) and snuff out any temptations you learn of. I deed a character just about twice a week. It's not hard to recover.

/rant

TLDR; Welcome, be careful, read the stickies, and most importantly; HAVE FUN!

(Well, maybe reading the stickies is more important.)
  7. hedley

hedley IncGamers Member

Just wanted to thank you guys again. I've downloaded Hamachi and I'm working to figure out GoMule and I'm looking into getting RWM. Some of your posts have even got me thinking of making a hardcore char, something I've always considered as an insane option. After going through the stickies I have to say this is the kind of community I've been looking for. My favorite games were the ones where when a boss got killed everyone just let the drops sit there while they figured out who needed the stuff the most, and a lot of the stuff on the forums suggests that this is how a lot of people treat this game. I'm pretty excited to get everything figured out.

Thanks again for the help you guys.