Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Swerve's High DPS, Pure Int, Party Wizard Build

Discussion in 'Wizard' started by Swerve, May 23, 2012. | Replies: 15 | Views: 25011

1. Swerve

Swerve IncGamers Member

TL; DR: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#acRSOX!fYX!cYbZYa

Level 60 Wizard - Used this build to complete Hell. Currently on A2 Inferno.

This build works great if you're in a party. Works well for soloing Hell

*Note: Use Enchantress on Inferno, Templar on Normal-Hell*

High DPS, Pure Int, Relatively Squishy

Of course these numbers are clearly based on your gear. These were the numbers I was seeing!

My Pure Int gear
    Just beginning act1 inferno: http://imgur.com/qqbKP [5/24/12]
    Just beginning act2 inferno: http://imgur.com/7aZWI [5/29/12]

24% MF
    2h Staff (869.5dps)
    Life: 20.8k
    Crit Dmg: 45-49k with Arcane Orb[Tap the Source]

Skill Overview:
    LEFT CLICK: Magic Missile {Seeker} OR Shock Pulse {Piercing Orb}
    note: Magic Missile does great single target DPS. Firing these missiles from a long range helps considering how squishy you are on occasions (blue/yellow monsters & bosses). You can use Piercing Orb as well here since it provides good single target dmg as well as AoE if your Arcane Power(mana) is relatively low or re-charging.

RIGHT CLICK: Arcane Orb {Tap the Source}
    note: Love the damage on this, great if you're party includes a monk/barb to gather your enemies into a nice tight group to mow down.

ONE: Hydra {Venom Hydra} OR Frost Nova {Cold Snap}
    note: Why Hydra? Why Venom Hydra? Because... IT KICKS ***! I found Hydra much more useful than other skills that increased your damage, like say: Familiar {Sparkflint}. Having the Hydra helps add to your current dps, can be easily casted no matter your mana pool, and can really help the party in providing a consistent dps to mobs. Strategically, it can be placed wherever you choose since kiting is essential if you're playing a Wizard (and you will be kiting on Hell/Inferno if you haven't already on Nightmare). Taking Venom Hydra is a must because it provides a nice stacking damage pool that hurts single targets as well as multiple targets, making your damage look nice and flashy :).
    Frost Nova is only used if you feel you are not surviving as it makes for a great crowd-control.

TWO: Magic Weapon {Force Magic}
    note: Increases your overall dps.

THREE: Energy Armor {Force Armor}
    note: Helps provide defense, as well as sustainability.

FOUR(a.k.a. the "OH SH*T, I'M ABOUT TO DIE" button): Diamond Skin {Crystal Shell} OR {Prism}
    note: If you don't like repairing or using potions, (don't know why you wouldn't) then Diamond Skin is a MUST. Take Prism if you feel you won't get hit during combat (i.e. if you're doing a boss fight and standing really far away)

PASSIVE Skills:
    Galvanizing Wizard, Glass Cannon, Astral Presence
    note: Astral Presence provides a nice boost in Arcane Power. Galvanizing Wizard helps you stay alive, really useful if you turn diamond skin on (acts like a regen potion). Glass Cannon is common sense.

(Please note: build is subject to change. Please be aware this was last updated on 5/29/2012.)

---

I welcome any opinion whether it be praise, criticism, questions, and of course bashing. Love it or hate it.

Thanks for reading!

Swerve
    Level 60 Wizzy.
    Last edited: May 29, 2012
  2. Swerve

Swerve IncGamers Member

Updated! and with YouTube video to come later on!
  3. estrellas

estrellas IncGamers Member

you can call Blizz and ask them to rollback your character, if you were hacked!
  4. Hector

Hector IncGamers Member

I am using a very similar build to play through Hell (quickly came up with it when I got bored of my Blizzard support build and decided to actually hurt stuff a lot).

Difference is that I'm using Arcane Hydra and the passive Temporal Flux (instead of Galv Ward) for mass slowdown effect.
  5. WraithCaller

WraithCaller IncGamers Member

Noob question, but how did you assign the skills in that precise combo?

I can't seem to figure out how to put both magic weapon AND energy armor on my bar.
  6. mickptd

mickptd IncGamers Member

options-->gameplay-->elective mode

7. Hector

Hector IncGamers Member

BTW I have replaced Hydra with Archon and I'm loving it in this pure arcane build.

Most like other Diablo games the best defense sometimes is offense. Whenever I see a nasty boss pack I turn on Archon and melt them down fast.
  8. Swerve

Swerve IncGamers Member

I find Archon more useful in parties, and not so much in solo play since it takes away your ability to kite efficiently.

9. Psycotik

Psycotik IncGamers Member

"Swerve's High DPS, Pure Int, Party Wizard Build"

I've also been playing around with some builds that are out there. Venom Hydra is amazing. I really can't get enough of it. Does anyone have any suggestion to gear? +Int +Vitality ? I've been putting +vitality gems in so I don't die as fast, and been going back and forth from +attack speed etc. Any thoughts?
  10. Swerve

Swerve IncGamers Member

My thoughts on gems:

Weapon: If you have at least 10% crit chance (through items), I would soley suggest putting an Emerald in this socket. If you do not have the crit chance, I think the next best thing would be a Ruby.

Helm: Unless you're MFing (magic finding) then there better be a Amethyst.

Other: For Wizard's who are soloing you have two views.
    Kill or be killed: Stacking INT (Topaz) in all sockets will yield this result. I prefer this on pants/off-hand/chest.
    Only the strong survive: and that means stacking VIT (Amethyst) in all sockets. Not normally used in my build since I already have Glass Cannon on. I never use Amethyst gems for "Other" sockets.

TL;DR: I would much rather sacrifice high dps for health.

on attackspeed (IAS)

EXTREMELY IMPORTANT. If I could dream for the best items to solo inferno, I would want items with IAS. I would want 50-100% IAS on my wizard through items + weapon. I think IAS > damage/int.
  11. Kinmaul

Kinmaul IncGamers Member

Given the amount of hp/armor/resists you are running with I'm almost certain the mobs in act 2 will break your DS in a single hit. Why don't you run with Teleport or Mirror Image?
  12. Swerve

Swerve IncGamers Member

hey Kinmaul, i've noticed this problem with DS insta-destroyed. I am having a crisis in the sewers of Act2 right now. I may adjust my build to either use Teleport(with mirror image rune) OR using Wave of Force {Impactful Wave}. Thanks for the suggestion!

13. Kinmaul

Kinmaul IncGamers Member

No problem, DS has serious scaling issues at the moment. I was part of my build for the entire game through Hell difficulty and I loved it, but once I started Inferno went from great to worthless in a short amount of time. Teleport + Illusionist will save your *** so much, it honestly feels broken.
  14. MRR

MRR IncGamers Member

A few comments on Swerve's posts:

Archon is typically less effective in group-play because it requires that you get the kill for the duration to be extended. Playing solo, you get all of the kills, which maximizes the duration of Archon. In a group, your allies will likely get many of the kills, meaning that you have a shorter Archon duration.

As far as IAS is concerned: I think you're overvaluing it by a lot, especially if you consider it more powerful than Intelligence. That "damage" number on your screen isn't everything; IAS will increase it, but that's only realistic in a situation where you can sit there and spam spells forever, which isn't what happens 95% of the time. The Wizard is based on bursts of high-damage Arcane Power-consuming abilities, and those abilities do not benefit whatsoever from IAS. You can cast around 5 Arcane Orbs before you run out of AP. IAS will just drain your resources faster, but you'll do the same amount of damage - the damage is capped not by IAS, but by resource regeneration rates. IAS will help with your signature spells, but in Inferno you won't have that many opportunities to just sit there and cast. A little bit of IAS can be nice to boost your casting speed to make kiting a bit easier, but 50-100% is a silly amount and would mean sacrificing other worthwhile attributes for a marginal gain at best.
  15. Swerve

Swerve IncGamers Member

You are definitely right about the Archon. Archon is definitely not as worthwhile in group play.

As far as IAS is concerned, I agree that Intelligence provides a two way street (damage for casters & resists), but how does IAS fend with non-using-resource skills like the Wizard's signature skills? Most of the time (very biased opinion here) people may be running Magic Missile Seeker or Piercing Orb. You correct that IAS does not benefit from Arcane Power-consuming abilities and I understand that. I think what I have intended using IAS on is having the ability to get more shots off of non-consuming abilities or Arcane Orb's in between moving. And 50% isn't as silly as it seems considering 2x rings, weapon, and gloves with an average of 10% on each is already 40%. In my opinion the best kind of gear for Wizard's is INT, VIT, IAS, Crit Hit Chance and Crit Hit Damage. So of course the way to obtain this amount of IAS would be if that piece of equipment included 3 of the 5 stats.

And here is where I digress.. IAS is being nerfed now in the upcoming patch and will not be as significant as it is now..

16. MRR

MRR IncGamers Member

As I mentioned, "in Inferno you won't have that many opportunities to just sit there and cast." Most of the time late-game people are only using signature spells to fill in the gaps between casts when they run out of AP, and the amount of kiting you're required to do means that you have a lot of time to regenerate AP while you're running. A good number of builds don't even include a signature spell at all.

Really, it depends a lot on your build and on your playstyle. Personally I've found that a little IAS is nice to help speed up my cast-speed so I don't stand there doing my casting animation for Blizzard for long when I'm trying to kite, but I don't rely on it for damage.