Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Super 8

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by HuggaBear, Apr 3, 2013. | Replies: 12 | Views: 1496

1. HuggaBear

HuggaBear IncGamers Member

So me and a group of friends are moving in together soon and we have the whole summer to chill out and play some games and I've nominated Diablo 2 to be one of them with a lot of interest. There's 8 of us (how ideal), we're all competent gamers and I have a lot of D2 knowledge so we've been building our party and have gone for 1 from each class and an additional.

Basically just want some insight into if you think this will work, we want to do everything up to and including uber killing so the party has to be functional, the one from each class is cos we're all pretty idiosyncratic and it felt right...
    Here's what we've got:
    Amazon
    Max lit fury, points in passive (pierce, probs valkyrie) and the rest into synergy/charged strike/pierce

Assassin
    Not really sure here, assassins aren't my strong point. Considering a martial arts one but iirc they're really weak? How about tiger strike and dragon claw?
    The other options seem to be death sentry or blade fury but blade fury seems pretty weak at high levels (even with wep damage?) and death sentry seems just sub par given we're gonna have a CE necro and a lit javazon...

Barb
    WW and BO...what were you expecting? :p rest of points into masteries (1 in each of the non weapon and then max sword or mace?) and shout?

Druid we haven't really decided either.
    Werebear with a bear and shockwave (1 point should be okay with +skillers right?) and maul. Rest of points spread to HoW (we reckon it's better than oak sage but ready to be convinced otherwise), lycanthropy, werebear etc.
    Werewolf with feral rage/fury and dire wolves. Again with HoW and spread points.
    Windy druid, hurricane and is arctic blast worth it? seems it might be at later levels, if not whichever is best of tornado and twister (presume tornado, probably wrong). Rest of points into synergy and HoW, maybe dire wolves or a grizzly...

Fishymancer
    CE, Amp dam, skellies and a clay golem. Simples.

Paladin we're really not sure on
    Smite, an aura concentration? Fanaticism? Salvation? Thinking fanaticism. Then either charge or zeal. Probably charge... Holy shield and other auras for points spare.

Soso
    Either a CB/Fire Wall soso or possibly a blizz/fire wall soso (relying on team and minions to keep enemies stuck. Seems likely) or maybe a straight ice soso with blizz and orb...

Number 8?
    Not sure, I don't mind what I play, maybe take a second druid with oak, maybe a hammerdin (though I understand they're no longer hax they're still a solid build right?) for concentration, possibly another soso of whatever element isn't taken...yeah.

So, thoughts, suggestions, tips?
    We'd really appreciate anything :)
  2. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

Very nice mate! :D

I did something similar many years ago, but we were "only" 6! ;)

Heres a few hints and opinions if you want them!!

Amazon- Her Valkyrie is pretty good for tanking, but do you really need one? Id go for pure Charged Strike + Lightning Fury. A very strong PvM build.

Assassin- Kick assassins can have insane attack speed. And with Fade, they tend to be decent Uber chars.
    Getting Death sentry for its corpse explosion. And Cloak of Shadows, because its awesome.

Barbarian- Right! But only 1pt in Stone skin! Max Shout for your team aswell! ;)

Druid- The dmg from HoW isnt as great as compared to the Oak sages life bonus. Ive tried it, and imo, stick to Oak.
    Feral Druids, werewolf, is also decent Uber chars. Especially if you ever get him the Ribcracker staff! :)

Necromancer- Good choice! Tanking with skellies will be very nice in PvM. He can even solo in a 8player game.
    He will be key for doing Uber aswell, Life Tap is a must as you well know.

Paladin- Zealer, Fanaticism. Will boost Assa+Barb+Druid+Pala dmg alot. Will have a pt in Smite, so hes also key for Uber.

Sorceress- Any build will do, but Id recommend Cold or Fire. Since youve already got Lightning in your setup.
    Enchant will boost both skellies and the fast hitting characters! It could make a huge difference. But Enchantress = Support.

Number 8? Paladin? With Conviction? If you get a higher aura lvl then Uber Mephisto has, his aura will be turned off.
    And -% defense to monsters will get rid of ALL attack rating problems. And -150% res is also nice, for obvious reasons! ;)

Let us know how it goes!! Im very interested! :nod:

Peace
  3. Sagitarii

Sagitarii IncGamers Member

I once did something similar with all paladins, each a different aura. So much fun, and it worked pretty well too :)
  4. Erfel

Erfel IncGamers Member

I think you could create a massive melee party

Amazon with frozen arrow
    Assassin with kicks
    Summoner druid (with ravens, carrion wine and wolves/bear). How would be the only option, then 1 point in werebear and 1 in shockwave
    Barb WW
    Fishymancer
    Smiter/zealer
    Enchantress

With this you will have:
    Fanaticism, warcries, how, enchant that will help ALL of your chars.
    A lot of tanks (valk, bear/wolves, shadow master, golem and skellies).
    Fire damage from enchant, cold damage from frozen arrow, a lot of physical damage.
    You could add magic damage creating a hammerdin (with concentration), or light damage with fury amazon (concentration can be used with pride runeword).
    You would love harmony on an act1 merc for vigor aura.
    So, considering also mercenaries:
    might, blessed aim, fanaticism, vigor, concentration, holy freeze, damage/ar from how, amplify damage/life tap, prayer, meditation, conviction.

Corpse explosion/fury/blessedhammer for mass killing in PvM, a HUGE physical damage for bosses, life tap + huge ar for survivability in uber tristram. Add some crushing blow and it's done.

I'd really love to have 6 friends to do this :D
  5. Pyrotechnician

Pyrotechnician IncGamers Site Pal

Something to note for this, it will only be turned off for the person using the conviction aura, so all of the other party members will still be affected.
  6. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

Thanks Pyro! Good to know! ;)
  7. Fizoo

Fizoo IncGamers Member

I would probably pick the 8 builds that offer the graphic intensive spells in the game, and then merciliessly mock anyone who hasa comp that can't handle it hahahah. Fire wall x8? Poison nova X8? I'm not sure if there is worse.
  8. Erfel

Erfel IncGamers Member

Probably summoner necro is the best/worst build... some years ago i heard it was called the lagmancer :D
  9. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

Meteor in baalruns was rumoured to give less xp for just that reason!! ;)
  10. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

How about this for a setup:

"Animal party"

Amazon Valkyrie
    Assassin Shadow Master
    Druid Bear & Heart of the Wolverine (+vine?)
    Druid Wolves & Heart of the Oak (+vine?)
    Necromancer Golem
    Necromancer Skeletons & Monsters
    Paladin for additional Aura (Conviction)
    Paladin for additonal Aura (Fanaticism)

Fully synergize specified Summons/Aura's, after that you can choose skills.
    And ofcourse include all aura types mercs...
  11. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I wouldn't make a plan about a character mix in advance.

I would suggest to write each character class on a piece of paper and a joker on the eighth piece,. Everyabody will have to play that chat, the joker means free choice. Or you simply let everybody choose freely, but in secret. Before forming the party the chars are leveled up to 18 or so in secret and in separate, perhaps with limiting yourself to act 1 which should not take too long at /players 8, so you already made a couple of decisions.
  12. Xuhao

Xuhao IncGamers Member

imo it depends on what you want.

If your goal is to grind as efficiently as possible you should probably go w at least one barb (warcries) and likely 2, 3 or even 4 paladins (a smiter and 3 hammerdins e.i.). And a sorc for tele as long as u cant afford an enigma. The last 2-3 chars could be pretty much anything, though a curse necro comes to mind..
    (imo palys are very cost efficient, especially hammerdins and smiters, hammerdins being the aoe-dmg and smiters being the stun-and-kill-the-boss dmg)

If your goal simply is to have fun and enjoy the game, you should all be able to pick freely.
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  13. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

Well, their only interest seems to be ubers, the rest is just plain old fun.