Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Strange phenomen when posting

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by krischan, Jul 28, 2004. | Replies: 12 | Views: 388

1. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Strange phenomen when posting

Did anybody notice this ?

1. Start a thread or reply to one.

2. Type a couple of sentences and wait 10-15 minutes

During that my computer gets slower and slower. After half an hour my computer at at home gets so slow that I can type 10 faster than the characters appear on the screen. when I'm done with that (i.e. the post/reply page is closed), everything is fine again.

This happens both on my computer at work (WinXP) and at home (good old Win98). Both systems are up to date with respect to Windows upates. I assume this is a bug in the Internet explorer which appeared with the latest IE patch.

It happens again right now...

My guess is that the smileys to the right slowly use up computer ressoucres (gfx board memory perhaps ?).

Does anybody else encounter that problem, too ?

As I'm already in a complaining mood, sometimes the Del button doesn't work, so I have to move the text cursor right of the text to delete and press the backspace key. It's a little annoying...
  2. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

No problems here... but then I'm not using IE. You need to get yourself a better browser.
  3. Kawaii

Kawaii IncGamers Member

4. Drosselmeier

You might want to strip IE from your desktop as well. Word has it that some of the features of IE that are built into the desktop opens up your computer for attacks even if you don't use IE for browsing. I've heard other reasons to get rid of it but can't remember any right now. It's supposed to be a good thing to get rid of IE completely, is all I really know, and I can't imagine it being a bad idea in any way.

I used a script called "IEradicator", and it worked fine for me. You might want to think twice about running it though. There is no guarantee that it won't kill your computer.
    I think you can do it manually, but it's probably fairly tricky.
  5. Gorny

Gorny Banned

I also noticed that the Pc I use at work will freeze solid if I type out long winded response. I usually have to re bioot the dratted thing.

Typical county property :rolleyes:
  6. krischan

Before doing that and risking to have to reinstall Windows and everything, I will wait a little for further opinions, I guess ;)

At the moment I copy the text into the clipboard and press the back and the forward button and the resources are freed again (and wasted again soon :uhhuh: ) - or I do all typing in a text aditor.

I guess I should exchange the browser sooner or later. Not that other browsers have less bugs, it's just that less of their bugs get exploited ;)

Thanks for all the replies. I'm still waiting for a comment of an IE user...
  7. Gorny

Gorny Banned

I have IE at home but stopped using it and downloaded Mozilla after having severe pop up problems with IE. Even though I eventually got rid of 90% of the pop ups, I still use Mozilla but have some bugs with it that I don't have with IE.

But, I have also noticed that with both the pc at work and sometimes the one at home, if there are too many animations going (avatars, smilies etc,.) it slows down too.

Sometimes I have to manually stop the animations to continue typing.

Another odd occurance, at work and at random, one thread or another will only load one or two replies, and stay blank for the rest of the page. If I reload the thread or go back to the main forum and click the thread again, same thing happens.
  8. mysnistaken

mysnistaken Banned

these all sound more like the server is having problems than your computers have problems...but anyway if you do decide to switch to Firefox you'll probably want to keep IE around for certain websites and such. Not everything works in Firefox yet =/
  9. Eiger

Eiger IncGamers Member

Umm, why would you do this? Sounds like you've got way too much time on your hands!:lol:
  10. Drosselmeier

There is an extension for an older version of Firefox that lets you access IE-only sites. He could get version 0.9 while waiting for that extension to get supported by 0.9.2.
  11. mysnistaken

mysnistaken Banned

no...i don't mean IE only sites..I mean there are sites that you just can't view in firefox...I don't have any examples right now...but there are a lot...certain pages (not sites)...pictures...downloads..etc..etc...don't you run into those? (assuming you're using firefox)
  12. London

London IncGamers Member

All systems are go here. That's werid man, try a friend's computer maybe?
  13. krischan

I have the problem with two computers, one at work, one at home. I guess it occurs since I installed the latest IE patch. I should probably try another web browser, like Firefox. Thanks for all the replies.