Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

stock market chat 2013

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Fizoo, Feb 8, 2013. | Replies: 193 | Views: 9299

1. Fizoo

Fizoo IncGamers Member

stock market 2013

I thought we could have a thread dedicated to discussing the stock market, as well as post trades we make.I currently like working two high volatility ETFs: TZA and TNA.My current position: 200 shares of TZA @ 10.95 bought on 2/6/2013. Stop loss is 14400+ on the Dow.I bought those because i believe we are at a top of some kind with the Dow at 1400. I believe were in the process of slowly rolling over right now.
    Last edited: May 19, 2013
  2. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

so buy at the top?
  3. Fizoo

Fizoo IncGamers Member

TZA is a triple leveraged bear fund. Its like shorting the market in a super-aggressive way. For every 1% drop/gain in the market, TZA will gain/drop 3%.
  4. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

Yikes! I'm convinced real traders are smarter than me, so I stick to index funds and index ETFs (vanguard), save for a few decent dividend stocks I've collected over the years. If I had more time and confidence, I'd have 10-20 long positions that I would move in and out of as I felt those companies were over and undervalued. That said, technically, because I'm so equity heavy, it's still an aggressive stance, just a wussy way of being so.

I have a friend who has done really well focusing on only 5, but that makes me nervous. too many eggs in too few baskets.

I've found that going short, getting too frisky with options and everything on the futures market is essentially just gambling unless you're really putting your time in. even people that do see so much more volatility that I wonder if it's worth it. Your leveraged fund is already affecting my blood pressure, and I haven't even pulled up a chart.

Anyway, why put the stop on the Dow instead of the S&P? General market fear of even numbers? I always preferred the S&P, but the news always reports the Dow. I suppose I answered my own question.
  5. Fizoo

Fizoo IncGamers Member

Yes its always scary to invest. I take comfort in my stops. This trade at worst will cost me but not bankrupt me. its predicated on the Dow failing to convincingly clear 14k. So i set the stop 10% above it.
  6. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

How will that work out in the event of a second bubble-crash?
  7. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

He said he has stops in place and if he did not pick the wrong brokers...
  8. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

It's a bit like Cinderella. She has to leave the orgy, err party at midnight. The difference to the burst time of an internet bubble is that Cinderella has a clock while there is none in stock market trading, at least not for the common people. Their money will end up as profits for those with a clock. A few ones will make a profit out of luck, however.

Success at speculations is about knowing things before others know them. There are different ways to achieve that and the easiest ones are criminal or at least sociopathic. Stock market speculations are a bit like dog racing bets, Nigerian scams and pyramid/snowball schemes, with all the cheating etc.
  9. LozHinge the Unhinged

LozHinge the Unhinged IncGamers Member

B-b-b-but, kris, what about all the growth that traders create?
    They are like gardeners, constantly bringing forth bloom and bounty, for the benefit of all. Some may call this trinkle down, where the prosperity finds its way from the Porsche and Mercedes driving high-fliers down to those humble second-hand Daihatsu owning under-achievers but it's really like a wondrous golden shower of warmth and well-being. I get chills just contemplating their selfless heroism.

Ungrateful wretch. :nono:
  10. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

"Trinkle"? Snarkasm aside, "trickle down" <does> work, since it's inherent to Capitalism, as anyone who grasped their basic economics classes can tell you. The Western World wouldn't have been riding America's economic coat-tails for almost 100 years were that not the case, nor would America have been the World's economic powerhouse. Even the Keynesian "economists" like Krugman (and therefore Obama) secretly know it, even if they stupidly assume that Gov't "churn" can somehow take the place of the producers creating wealth. The issues are whether it works well, if it is at all equitable in its workings, if there's anything that might work more efficiently, and if there's legitimate rationale to switch. Of those issues, the only one I find worth debate is whether unnatural monopoly should be tolerated.

I'll leave it to the forum to come up with some perverse commentary about the board game.
    Say Loz, let me into your flat some evening so I can steal the money in your mattress.
  11. LozHinge the Unhinged

Heh. Trinkle.

In my day, this was called Invisible Hand. Or it wasn't, I get my mythologies confused all the time :nod:

Can I call it table scraps? Please?

You may rely upon the forum's perversity at all time :nod:

Merv, there ain't enough universe for the amount of No that this request gets :no:
  12. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

The "invisible hand" is quite real. It's that scratching behind the wall you hear in the middle of the night.
    I suppose, though doing so really ignores the validity. You only get a "table scraps" result when you have uncontrolled exploitation, of either the Capitalist or Statist variety. If you have true free markets, the worker is worthy of his hire; I'll readily admit there can be unfair, unfree markets in Capitalist environments.
    There are some universal constants...
    Fine, then. I'll just have to use that key I fabricated next time I'm there. Unless, of course, you're stupid enough to put your wealth in one of those wicked, exploitative BANKS!?
  13. LozHinge the Unhinged

Great, you have a key? So I needn't have slept in the car the other night? Bastid.

:coffee:

Wait? Wealth?
  14. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

You've got a computer of some kind, right? Plus your gub'mint pension?
  15. LozHinge the Unhinged

I do indeed have a computer of some kind.
    As for my pension, no, not yet. Maybe, in a few years and if they haven't spent the money on something else in the meantime :yes:

Disclaimer: Assuming we both understand the meaning of the word wealth, of course.
  16. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Beef futures, in your case?
  17. LozHinge the Unhinged

Beef ... it's such an imprecise term, dontchthink?

The last couple of times I was in Spain, if I asked for a steak ... well, variety is the spice of life they say. The Spanish are probably shrugging right now and talking about anglos locos, que paso hombres?
  18. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

T'was always thus - I believe I mentioned my first experience of a British "hamburger"?
    I've never really understood the fascination you British have with Spain - I lived there a year and a half, and thought it was ghastly (particularly Madrid). Give me a Portugal vacation any day. That being said, there's a lot of interest by American foodies such as Tony Bourdain in "Street Meat". Perhaps we're preparing for the future economy, where haute cuisine will be offal and boiled grass?
  19. Fizoo

Fizoo IncGamers Member

I'm seeing a lot of pundits begin to assert that the market correction has begun. Market wound tighter and tighter for a while there but broke down monday. Futures are also down. I don't think its going to be a major crash, just an normal correction of at-most 10%.
  20. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

It seems you are listening a lot to others and make decisions on impressions. I would consider statements of so-called pundits with extreme caution. You will always, *ALWAYS* have to ask yourself why they are making their statements. There are several reasons, one is doing good deeds for mankind, another is another is making you do something which will influence prices to his or his employer's advantage - and not necessarily to yours.

There are several shades of grey, but most motives are based on greed... at least that would be my first assumption. If you don't have at least a crude version of the mentioned Cinderella clock (i.e. have a few skills and a bit of background knowledge... and the mentioned experts don't provide it), you better try making money with a different half luck, half skills game, like cleaning out noobs at the poker table :D.