Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Steven's Stupendious Guide to not Getting Slaughtered!

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Hardcore Forum' started by Steven Hazani, Sep 8, 2013. | Replies: 11 | Views: 2161

1. Steven Hazani

Steven Hazani IncGamers Member

After much delay, which was mostly just acting like Blizzard and taking way too damn long to get anything done here it is. Hopefully I didn't go and forget half of it, like some of my less informative but more entertaining threads... Anyways.

Who the hell are you?

You see my username right there. And to answer your question more directly, I am a HC noob...

Wait wtf, how can you help me again?

Counterpoint: How the hell not? I mean, if in game experience protected you from pks there'd be no high level victims, they'd only get single digit paragons if they could get any 60s at all. Instead there are plenty of high level victims, rich ones as well. Passing a gearcheck is a solution to every in game problem, but not this one. Why's all this true? Because PK is not an in game problem, and so in game experience doesn't prepare or protect you from it. Out of game experience, aka PK research does. And I've done plenty of that, before even touching HC because entering a perma death environment without a comprehensive knowledge of exactly what forms death can manifest in is foolhardy. It's that simple.

Also, the game is boring, else I wouldn't be a HC noob by now. I'd have either died from lag or a disconnect or gotten level 75-90+ by now. Because if you build to handle the hardest situations the vast majority of the game becomes utterly trivial, as in life bar does not move trivial. Anyways.

Alright fine, you can help me. So stop going on and get started.

Keep your panties on, and goddamn woman get some that match your Inna's!

The best way to not get PKed is to never play with another person (except Blizzard can still PK you, via lag). The next best way is to only play with friends, as most PKs are not patient enough for the social engineer PK and you're immune to all other methods this way. Public games are a dark alley, if you go in them bad things might happen. The rest of this guide assumes you don't care and wanna do it anyways.

No method is foolproof!

Remember, anti PK guides and PK guides are one and the same. PKers have learned to fool many of these methods already, this guide tells them others they need to fool as well. Don't be surprised if this information starts becoming obsolete the instant after it's posted. Also, PKers read any thread even tangentially related.

Always assume the worst case scenario!

If you are ever unsure about any variable, assume the worst possible outcome. And then double it. For example, if you join a game, assume every single wp is trapped, until someone else is brave/foolish enough to show it isn't.

With that framework out of the way let's get started.

What is a PK? This game has no PvP!

They made PvP. A PKer is a character, typically a Barbarian but who can be of any class with a disproportionally high defense who stands in a very dangerous situation, such as a field of death flowers and waits for some poor fool to banner them and promptly get deeded. Alternately, the PKer trains a horde of mobs on a WP, or on the entrance of a dungeon. In some cases the PKer sets a PK trap then switches to an entirely normal character and runs normally for a while, until the run leads the poor sap into a likely instant death scenario. PKers are rarely, but not never encountered alone, as they need the ability to votekick anyone smart enough to not be fooled. They also rarely join existing games, as people generally spot the guy running off by himself a while and get suspicious. Rarely does not mean never though, so keep your eyes open. Also remember that while absurd defense and dps < armor is almost surely a PK, this is one of the many things that is easily fooled and a smart PKer will have fake DPS gear (though often they still screw up and put Dex items on a Barb, lol) so people won't instant kick a 3k dps noob. PKers are generally impatient, and if you don't banner them quickly expect a votekick. Of course legitimate players will votekick if you idle for too long, but generally, just seeing if you're still in the game after one minute, and if the situation has changed is enough to either get votekicked, or look around and assess the game. Just remember the smart PKers make it look like a normal, in progress farm run.

Anyone who acts nice... probably isn't. Most people in pubs only care about xpxpxp, so if you get acknowledged at all you should go on yellow alert and if you hear anything like "Hi/On me/Goblin/Den here/Chest/Any other message that sounds like a come here now"... Assume this is a job for Admiral Ackbar, and don't do it!

You shouldn't trust any Barb you don't know at all. Just remember those aren't the only PKers, and even Demon Huntees are not necessarily safe.

Also, don't think you're slick and find an alternate way to whatever area they're in. Most will just votekick you, the smart/bored ones preempted you with a trap there. How noobish would you feel if you were a high level Wizard, spent a few minutes running around dodging a PK trap, then ran away and found the Manor was trapped and you exploded instantly? Yeah, that's what I thought.

Lastly, only PKers go in the Highlands. No one else likes all the javelin throwers.

Wait, so if I just pay attention to my surroundings then I'll never get PKed, right?

WRONG!

Townkilling:

What the hell is townkilling?

All methods share some common traits. The PKer lures enemies in town, drags them around the spawn points, then goes and hides in a connected zone. If you join the game, you likely die on zone in - even with an SSD. You could also die by this at any time if AFK, but usually this is used to kill people who first join the game and who have no chance of reacting whatsoever.

There are a total of 5 townkill methods, only 1 was fixed in a remotely timely manner and only two fixed at all, a true testament to Blizzard's incompetence as every single one of these have existed since Day 1 (and gonna call it now, Act 5 will introduce at least one new method which will also go unfixed for months). I will be describing ALL of them, with the intention of motivating the HC community to light a fire under Blizzard's asses as they only ever change/fix anything if people complain en masse.

Also worth mentioning: Most of these are not done via random public games, but are rather 1: People wanting a trade. 2: People claiming they are giving away free stuff. 3: People setting up a brawling game, as users cannot select what MP they want for that and will therefore likely be thrown in an MP 10 PK trap. 4: Those rare, but not unheard of social engineer PKs. They can result in random death upon just joining regular farm games, but generally townkilling is done on MP 10, and one of the previous methods used so people actually join.

Oh and, in the event you zone in enough to react to what is happening: The 10 second timer does kick in in town if you are taking damage.

Method 1: Act 1, north side. Fixed many months ago, about a few weeks after it became widely known.

This one's easy. Some Scavangers would run in town as part of an event, and you could pull in mobs from the Weeping Hollow or the Cemetary of the Forsaken. Blizzard actually reacted fairly quickly and put a gatehouse here, so it no longer works.

Method 2: Act 1, south side. Fixed after many months of people using it to kill afks only because it was being used for mass public slaughter and everyone was complaining about it constantly.

This one is also easy. The PKer drags fat zombies and spawners over the bridge and in town, then hides in the inn. It eventually got fixed by putting up a zombie zapper barrier that instant kills any enemy that tries to enter in town.

Method 3: Act 2. Still works as far as I know, but using it too often will get you banned.

This one is more involved, how much more depends on the PKer's persistence. The PKer drags in mobs. It could be as simple as the snakes from the Belail event, he could bring in stuff from the canyon... he could bring in enemies all the way from Alcanus! Upon luring the enemies in town, he advances the quest so that the town gates close. Anyone that joins will zone in in the unsafe part of town, and likely die instantly as Act 2 mobs are vicious.

Method 4: Act 3. Still works, probably the least dangerous though.

I actually discovered this one personally by accident. I was moving items around after just starting Act 3. One of those demon grunt guys who usually fights the guards and eventually dies on his own runs over and starts hitting me. I just shrugged and killed it, but a PKer could easily drag all those guys in town and on the spawn point. Of course, even using one of the MP 10 methods mentioned previously, the enemy type is not very dangerous and there are not very many of them, so this is by far the least likely to result in an actual deeds.

Method 5: Act 4. Status unknown, probably still works.

I'm really not sure of the timing on this. There is a "Leah", who if you speak with her you fight a purple named Terror Demon. Defeat it and several other Terror Demons spawn and attack you. Do something (get back in town, have another player already in town, not sure) and the Terror Demons spawn in town and attack whoever is there, at which point the standard lure pk tactics kick in. I've only seen this once, and it was accidental and on SC. Needless to say, that's about the most dangerous enemy type in the entire game and even if there is only a few of them they can easily kill you on zone in, especially with -75% healing on every hit, which is the main method by which you'd otherwise survive the trap. Of course, it also counters PKers, especially if they go for high MPs, and especially since there's no checkpoints or waypoints that close, so any PKer that tried this would most likely just kill themselves even if they knew the exact timing. Still, it'd be something to worry about, except...

Act 1 is completely safe from townkills now as far as I know, and no other act is worth playing in right now, especially not 4.

And that's why I feel zero guilt about giving out all the gritty details as no one plays in those areas anymore anyways.

That and...

How to avoid all townkill methods:

Do not join "Brawling" games as you cannot specify an MP.
    Do not accept any game invites from people you don't know unless it's in Normal difficulty. Even or especially if they wanna trade with you or give you free stuff.
    Do not select "Any Act Any Quest" as all of them require nonstandard quests no one ever runs otherwise.

I'll edit this later and flesh it out more, don't have time now.
  2. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

Good stuff, didn't know everything about the latter acts, although I don't play pubs outside of A1 just for that reason.
  3. Steven Hazani

Well I'm not really sure what to think. Whenever I make a helpful non trolling post on this forum it tends to get ignored entirely or almost entirely. I also ran into a lot of doubters when all I was trying to do is warn people some things aren't as safe as they think they are on other boards. Makes me wonder if I should even bother helping, or if I should just sit back and watch.

Probably doesn't help people click my (US) profile, think lol sc noob and never bother looking for my hc characters, but still. Given people lose nothing by heeding my advice and could lose quite a bit by ignoring it you'd think people on the official boards would be a bit more... respectful. Perhaps I just have high hopes, how ironic for me.
  4. ZappaFan

ZappaFan Hardcore Moderator and America Trade Moderator

198 views. I wouldn't call that getting ignored. I'm not sure there are a ton of people playing pubs, I don't really see it being discussed a lot (but then again I don't play pubs at all so maybe I'm semi-consciously ignoring those posts!).

EDIT: and besides that, you posted a poll asking for interest in an anti-PK guide and only 11 people even voted, of which only 5 said Yes (with 3 No and 3 Pie). *shrugs*
  5. Steven Hazani

I was more thinking of responses.

Yeah, I should have got it up sooner and not wrote it while under pain meds, was just hoping for more early acknowledgement.

I feel better now.
  6. Aahzmadius

Aahzmadius IncGamers Member

This is, BY FAR, the best anti-PK Diablo 3 post that I have ever read! Thanks for posting it.
  7. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

Thanks for writing this up, good stuff!

I've played up to Plevel 20 mostly in pub games and never had an attempt on my life. I was getting more and more lax, so these are good things to keep in mind so I don't get caught off guard eventually.
  8. Steven Hazani

Another thing I should probably add: Get an SSD, or if you can't afford it get a flashdrive, it's 10 USD or less for a 16 GB version, anything that size or bigger is fine.

After all it simply won't do to be safe against PK and then get PKed by Blizzard via asset load, that and many of these PK methods, even if you do blunder in them won't actually kill you if you load instantly (or at most 1-2 seconds) but will easily prove fatal if it takes longer.

Like it or not the mobs simply are not very dangerous in this game for the most part, the main threats are other players, the servers, and yourself (if you get super complacent then get vortexed into horde plagued arcane lag... you die).
  9. Lord_Vega

Lord_Vega IncGamers Site Pal

Thanks for the great guide, Steven!

Seeing as I haven't really played single player sine 1.08 came out, I have had quite a few attempts on my life, one succeeding too, with my last PL archon wizard biting the dust thanks to my naivity.

Now that I have a bit more power in my arsenal, I am rediscovering the pure pleasure of playing only alone or with friends from here, pausing anytime I wish, and not having to worry about PK attempts!

Again, thank you for the effort!
  10. Azbaz

Azbaz IncGamers Member

Thanks for the guide! I've played up to Plvl 20+ in public games now, mostly act1 but also some act3.

And I agree that having a fast SSD really helps with the loading times = lower chance of getting killed.
  11. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

Agreed. I've got an SSD though and when I ported into HELL sheer panic set in. I made it out somehow but almost went into cardiac arrest ^^ Better to never get into such a situation at all.
  12. Steven Hazani

Oh, and here's an exercise for everyone who has a Barb (and who doesn't?):

Select "Unforgiving".

Make a game, any game.

As soon as you hit Start/Resume game mouse over where your fury bar is.

As soon as you can actually see it make a note of how much fury you have.

As you regen 2 fury a second, you can measure your load times with a half second precision.

...Even with a fast drive it was a 10-15 second gap, which is really odd given the actual load screen was significantly less than that.

Regardless, that's how long you'd need to survive with no input from you if you ever zoned in a death trap.