Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Staff weilding Barb

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by and another, Feb 22, 2010. | Replies: 7 | Views: 1611

1. and another

and another IncGamers Member

Staff weilding Barb

This is the second time i'm trying to post this guy. The first time I was trying on my iPhone and it died on me when I was just about to click "post". Anyways, I built this character after I found a cruel Archon Staff, and was amazed at the damage (rivals IK hammer in physical damage, ignoring the elemental add ons).

No, I am not currently using a cruel archon staff.....

I use my staff barb for ubering, and I haven't had real success in pvp. But that just may be me.

Current Stats:
    +25 strength
    +100 dexterity
    +remaining vitality
    no energy

Current Skills:
    max whirlwind
    max mace mastery
    max battle orders
    max battle cry
    1 into natural resist, battle command, and all pre reqs
    3 extra points into shout

Current equipment:
    Helm- Guilhelm's (unsocketed(
    Body- Chains of Honor
    Gloves- Laying of Hands
    Belt- Thundergod's
    Boots- Up'd Gores
    Rings- Raven//soj
    Amulet- Blood Crafted w/ +2 Barb, all resist, and strength
    Main Weapon- ebotd archon staff
    switch- 2x max ED cta scourge
    stash- anni, barb torch, 10 ar/life scs, 9 mastery/life gcs

Mercenary:
    Normal Act 5 (lvl 78 currently)
    Helm- Eth. Andies Visage (unsocketed)
    Body- Eth. CoH AP
    Weapon- Eth. LW CB

An archon staff has a melee range of 6, making it the longest in the game, and has great damage. I use Battle Cry because it helps my merc and me hit the ubers, and the more my merc hits the sooner he casts life tap for me. .The switch is cta because it gives +4 to battle cry AND battle orders, more than +3 warcry weapons. Also, my switch weapons are my mob weapons. They hit last ww breakpoint, and have leech.

You could make this build into a concentrate build easily, and it might make it a lot better.

Other items I've used that worked great:
    40ed/15ias Up'd Ribcraker- hits last ww checkpoint, and has amazing damage. I still use this, but it has a range of 2.

perfect Insight Archon Staff- easily achieves 95% critical strike, eliminating the need for deadly strike.

fortitude archon staff - this isn't a bad choice for pvpers i think, since 12% damage received is added to mana, and it has nice stats.

fortitude scourge- i used two of these, and a fort armor, for my go in pvp. looking at the stats i thought i was going to do good, but i couldn't move fast enough.

arreat's face- a great helm for every barb.

stormlash- everyone knows this guy by now.

bloodtree stump- i enjoyed the benefits this gives to my passive skills, not to mention it's 50% cb, 25 str, and resists

war travs

steelrend

verdungo

Conclusion: this isn't really a guide, just a "look at my funny and decent barb". He prolly isn't perfect, and i would like to hear your opinions.
  2. mattinm

mattinm IncGamers Member

Re: Staff weilding Barb

I love my staff whirler, though I use an Up'd Ribby because I play in the SPF and don't have access to that insane amount of HR. I can't really argue most of the equipment, except the weapon swap.

As far as I know, the global max (total from all weapons) of an oskill is +3 (source). Therefore, you will only be getting +5bo (+3bo, +2all) with 2x CtA. To keep with the theme, you'd probably want to swap that out for a scourge HotO, for +7bo (+3bo, +4all). Now, if you really, really are using your CtA's for combat extensively, you might consider only keeping the +5.
  3. and another

depressing! i wanted +8, not knowing about that particular. thanks for letting me know about that though
  4. Edullon

Edullon IncGamers Member

What is better pole or hammer for barb?
  5. and another

Well considering how staves are under mace mastery and thus could have longer range than polearms and have decent damage too I would choose mace mastery. I have a leap attack spear barb that I use for laughs though!
  6. arbing

arbing IncGamers Member

Archon staff has a range of 2, not 6.
    6 is the max. socket number it can have.

check arreat summit for more info.
  7. and another

... another classic example of typo leading to misinformation. Before I wasting runes I should have checked the summit
  8. Master Zap

Master Zap IncGamers Member

I wouldnt call it a waste , an ebotd archon staff is the bees knees in style. It takes 18 str to equip and has a fantastic average damage. It hits similar numbers as an orge maul without the crazy str reqs. Did I mention it makes a kewl Thwack sounds, and it gives your barb a crazy monk look. ?

the abotd archon build easily builds as a 100% pure vita build. Massive life is mint.

Insight elite staffs are always pretty good. They like using eth ones on pk's here on HC and taking out high levels with it.

Insight staff is sexy on a pally who wields this and maxes prayer.