Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

SPF's Thoughts on D3

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Aphid, Apr 21, 2012. | Replies: 132 | Views: 8710

?

Are you going to be moving on to Diablo 3?

1. Yes, absolutely!

36 vote(s)
    51.4%
  2. Nope. D2 SPF Forever!

34 vote(s)
    48.6%
  1. Aphid

Aphid IncGamers Member

SPF's Thoughts on D3

I was curious what you guys thought about the upcoming release of Diablo 3 and if you're all going to be jumping on board that bandwagon. I know that you're all relatively only playing single player, and I was curious if you see yourself sticking with that MO in D3 or if you are thinking about skipping it since it doesn't have single player only play (ie you have to be connected online).

Just curious what your take on this release was. I looked for another thread here, but I didn't want to post in the actual D3 forums, because I didn't want to know what they thought, but what the SPFer's actually thought. If this is still a bad place to put this, someone can delete/move it if they want... but I thought it was appropriate.

So how many of you are going to move over to the new one? And why are you? Aren't you?
  2. Grisu

Grisu IncGamers Member

Re: SPF's Thoughts on D3

I will be playing D3 - I already preordered it (3 weeks ago) and am playing the open beta right now. It's a fun game as far as I can tell from the 2 hours of beta gameplay I had! I will be playing Single Player only/mostly though in D3, too. I'm just not used to rely on others :) I might try some MP with some of the guys from the SPF though - the battle.net friend list should make it easy to spot them when they are online.

I will still be playing D2 though - esp. when I don't have access to broadband or when the servers are down, but also when I feel like it. There was even the idea (I think TheReadMenace voiced it) to create a D3 SPF subsection here.

I was very annoyed by the online only thing at first (and still am to some degree), but I think, if I want to play the game (and I want!) I just have to cope with it. I'll be playing HC and avoid the auction house - AFAIK it's still not clear, if there's a RMAH for HC or only a gold auction house anyways, right?
  3. Aphid

Aphid IncGamers Member

Honestly, as far as the auction house stuff goes, you could just not participate... and since you're playing mostly single player, it's not like it's going to affect you much at all.

I have been debating on getting it. I enjoyed Diablo 2 alot... but I also really enjoyed Torchlight and Torchlight 2's price point is much easier for my struggling student side of things to support. I don't know... very confusing honestly. I just haven't decided if I really want to take the plunge yet.

It's neat though that there are people planning on getting it, because one of the things that I'd want to do is play with the SPF tourneys and whatnot again.
  4. zaphodbrx

zaphodbrx IncGamers Member

*No true single player ( need connection all the time )
    *No ATMA/Gomule/way to stash items
    *You can only have 10 characters
    *RMAH bull**** instead of proper trading
    *Retarded skill systems
    *Cartoony graphics
    *no pvp ( this doesn't bother me, but still )

Yeah guess what. I'm not buying it.
  5. Grisu

Grisu IncGamers Member

Concerning the RMAH: I did indeed plan to not participate at all. I just liked the thought, that if I play HC, there might not even be the possibility to get a $1000 character to "pwn" :wink:

TL was fun for a short time and worth the money, but it lacks the replayability (is that even a word???) D2 has. I'm excited about TL2, but I doubt it'll catch me longer than a few months. And I ordered D3 from british amzon and paid less than 40€ for it, so it's not that much more than TL2...

We will see how tournaments work out in D3 - haven't played enough in the beta to evaluate what problems might occur (esp. considering single pass).
  6. Aphid

Aphid IncGamers Member

I can't tell you how jealous I am that you found it for that cheap... But Torchlight 2 is only 20$.

It will be interesting... from the beta, it looks like single pass will be weird, because things keep spawning. There's no 'cleared' zones from what it looks like. I'm sure someone will figure it out though.

This is really going to screw with people, I think... especially as people literally have tens upon tens of characters for tournaments and the like. I guess it's going to come down to some sort of character management. Not sure how respeccing works, but I would think that you could have one of each class (6) and then four open slots for screwing around/tournaments... shouldn't be THAT bad.

The stash is probably the biggest thing... as it's going to destroy the whole grail thing that people do in D2.
  7. Cyrax

Cyrax IncGamers Member

For me D3 is not gonna happen. Just a matter of principal.

I refuse to let a company (in this case Blizzard) decide how and when to play. I would need an internet connection or i can't play. If there's any maintenance at the time i want to play, i can't. If they ever decide to shut down the server, i can't play at all. Same applies to Skyrim needing steam.

Both D3 and Skyrim were games i was looking forward to playing but as i said, i'm not gonna play them out of principal. I know they won't have sleepless nights because i don't buy it, but i feel i have to make a stand somewhere (and hopefully i'm not the only one). All that DRM crap is getting in the way of my playing experience and enjoyment and i want no part of it.
    This is also why i'm not gonna participate in the open beta.

Good thing is that i've got lots and lots of D2 projects i am doing or wanting to do, so unless this place dies out, i'll be sticking around for the foreseeable future.
  8. silospen

silospen IncGamers Member

I'll be playing it. The beta is nice, very cool but at the end of the day it's the same old D2 under the hood. If you squint and miss the cool effects, it doesn't feel much different :)
  9. Aphid

Aphid IncGamers Member

That's another thing that will be interesting... to see if the D2 side of things dies when D3 comes out. It's an interesting time coming, for sure!
  10. darknessproz

darknessproz IncGamers Member

1) For those concerned about the RMAH, why not just don't use it? The SPTF scene is all about self-control anyway - not using hacks, not using item editors, not using unapproved mods. And it isn't as if real money trading doesn't exist in D2...

2) About the online-only concern, if you do not want to buy D3 just for that, you have VERY little new games you will be able to buy. Most games are now moving in the direction of online only gameplay.

3) ATMA/GoMule, why is this such a big concern? As far as i am concerned, these 2 programs are just addons used by players to keep the game fresh after 12 years. D2 was certainly not designed with item hoarding in mind. In fact, inventory management is a huge part of the game. Why should D3 be any different.

That said, i'm not getting D3 as i am far more interested in GW2 being released soon, and i have the time and money to only purchase one of the two.
  11. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

Hey silo! Haven't seen you around here for a while.

A lot of this is similar to the SC -> SC2 B.net opinions and concepts. Most people thought SC:BW would die out as soon as StarCraft 2 was released. But oddly enough, there's still a few left there. And some of the people remaining on SC:BW are actually quality. Will it die out? Yes. Diablo 1 B.net is proof of this. Diablo 1 servers are still (last I checked was quite a while ago) up, but there were under 50 people online. There are less quality/legit players than there used to be, but there are still enough to get games at the right time.
    D2 will eventually die out, but not until some time after D3 is released. I only have a few characters to go at the moment, and after that, I'll see if the tourneys and D2 SPF are still around. I imagine we will be for quite some time, even if there's a lot more D3 banter going about.

I don't have a solid, stable and fast internet connection. It drops out at random times, fairly regularly. Plus, I get massive lag spikes, even though my download speed is usually very good (when it chooses to work...) So that means anything that requires internet access is out for me.
    Limiting to only 10 characters is also a bit annoying. Part of the replayability of D2 was that for each class, you could make a lot of individual characters. While I think D3 will still have a lot of variability, limiting characters in this day and age is not a great decision to make.

As to the cartoony graphics, Zaph, I do want to make this comment. StarCraft+Brood Wars was initially 'too cartoony' for peoples taste. It's lasted over 10 years, and still has a solid following. StarCraft 2 pre-release was also 'too cartoony' and visually unrealistic/animated. It has a huge following, and despite this, its release was a huge success. I believe the same was said (although to a lesser degree) about Diablo 2.
    While I do question the addition of rainbows in Diablo 3, history has provided similar statements, all of which in Blizzard's case, have not mattered whatsoever upon the final release. Still, I agree with many of your points. Real money actions!?! I know people spend money on things within games, but this is clearly profiteering, and completely unneccesary.

The real money auctions is more about principle. Blizzard already rake in money with their games, but they know items/accounts were sold for real money. So, they add in a legit way to buy items for real money, thus rake in more money through this method. Compared to the D2 trade system of supply and demand (high runes etc,) which could work without dupes/hacks, real money auctions is just money-making. I wouldn't use it, but I (and others) dislike the principle.
  12. Kitteh

Kitteh IncGamers Site Pal

I'll be getting it, but I'll only be playing with a select few people, and even then it'll be end game only.

Although I don't see what the problem is with only having 10 characters. Do people not realise you can basically just re-stat them at a moments notice?
  13. Ojimijam

Ojimijam IncGamers Member

Im pretty excited for D3. Im fortunate enough that the online aspect doesnt need to be a deal breaker for me. Started playing the open beta this morning and it felt good. I hacked and slashed and things died, i got slightly excited seeing shinies drop. I played with new skills.

As far as singleplayer-ness goes i will be doing the same as D2, flying mainly solo with a bit of multiplayer with rl friends (or maybe you guys, who knows).
  14. spearv

spearv IncGamers Member

Pen and paper. Screenshot?

I often see limited stash space and the 10 character limit being cited as reasons to avoid D3 and I just don't understand! Certainly, if those systems were put into D2 they'd be awful, but I'm not sure they'll be a big deal in D3. Perhaps there'll be less need to stash items? And, as for characters, with it being so easy to get to max level and switch skills, 10 characters may be plenty enough.

Of course, I have concerns about D3. Mainly based around replayability, the ease of hitting 60, the fact that there's no need to reroll in order to try different skills. On b.net, D2 got months of play out of me just rolling and rerolling Bowazons in order to tweak stats and skills. I'm also curious about the difficulty of Inferno mode impacting the amount of fun on replays. But, by and large, I intend to dive into D3 and see how I feel about it in its own right.

Just a final point, I saw someone mention the cartoonish graphics of D3 as a negative. Funnily enough I really dislike the cartoonish graphics of D2 and am quite happy about the darker, duller feel of D3, which feels like a more honest update of the D1 style than D2 ever was. That's just a case of each to his own!

15. djmbbandie

djmbbandie IncGamers Member

I probably will get it, but it will be quite a while.

It barely runs on my laptop I bought last Thanksgiving. My internet connection also lags it severely.

Playing though the game via open beta really reminded me of WoW. Not very impressive. I also don't really like the skill alignment and how everything is done by the mouse and buttons 1-4. The one nice thing is that potions heal instantly now. It's basically an upgraded graphic version of WoW with Diablo NPC's.
  16. RuddyC

RuddyC IncGamers Member

I'm not getting immediately. There's still a lot in D2 left for me since I've only been in the game relatively recently.

The online thing, I don't really care about it. The 10 chars limit is the one that bothers me. No replayability in the game because personally I like to level up a character from scratch, the questing part of the game is what makes it interesting and fun. Infinite respecs is a shortcut to an end-game character and this is not the way I like to play. Sure you can delete your old chars to replay the whole game in D3 but SPFers become attached to their mat/pat/guardians, writing WOTs about them, quite sure a lot of us keep all their finished toons even though we don't play them anymore.
  17. spearv

spearv IncGamers Member

I get the idea that people get attached to characters and like to keep them, but I wonder if it *actually* matters to people, or if they simply *think* it matters to them? I can certainly understand if someone lost a level 98 character and a mountain of gear on their long-term project of hitting 99. However, would anyone lose sleep if every single one of their old tournament characters they haven't touched in years got deleted? Losing bytes of data doesn't remove the write-ups or memories. Of course it is part of SP D2 culture that you can collect everything, never lose a thing, and that's neat. However, I'm fairly sure that most people don't actually need that in order to enjoy a different game of a similar style.

I love levelling up, I'm not quite sure what that means for me in D3... perhaps I'll get into variant and tournamant style play more often, in order to grow characters from scratch. As for questing, in D3 replaying areas involves going through the quests so, on that side of things, its possible that D3 would have more replayability for you at high levels than D2.

18. Low Key

Low Key IncGamers Member

Playing it and loving it at the moment. Or as soon as the servers are back up at least. The stresstest weekend is really putting their hardware through a lot, and it shows. Glad they're doing this now and not on release. The online requirement thing is my only major complaint, and everything I'm ok with. Though I'll need to get a good feel of the end game difficulty to make a proper judgment about the game. But so far the early game presented in the beta looks and feels promising.
  19. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

I won't be getting it because my computer wouldn't be able to handle it, and the skill system and online-only kind of cheeses me off.
  20. maxicek

maxicek IncGamers Member

Wooooooah, just a second here. Hold the front page.

Is that really silospen "I'm just off to get married, see you guys in a month" ? About 2+ years ago?
    Or do I have to report this as a hacked account?