Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

SPF Feedback on D3?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Helx, May 20, 2012. | Replies: 63 | Views: 3744

1. Helx

Helx IncGamers Member

I've seen only bits and pieces of peoples' opinions on the new D3 SPF forum since the game came out and am curious to see more of what you think about it.

I realize it's early yet, and things may change in time, but to start off here's my preliminary list in no particular order (possible SPOILER ALERT):

• Dark atmosphere
    • Some old, familiar faces from D2
    • Freshness of the game (being in unfamiliar with it still)
    • New characters (Monk, DH, WD)
    • Morons aren't as moronic now

The "Not as Much" Category
    • OFFLINE Mode (goes without saying)
    • Missing lots of my favorite skills from D2
    • Skill Tree customization and "builds"
    • Level 85 areas--just started NM today and not sure if there are good farming areas yet...
    • I really miss the old rune system
    • Storyline seems restricted and scripted (linear)
    • Achievements?...reminds me of Xbox games :scratchchin:

Overall, though, I'm really enjoying it and having fun leveling my monk, wizard, and barb.
  2. Kitteh

Kitteh IncGamers Site Pal

I think the thing I like most, is that to enjoy the game at it's best, you have to think tactically. In D2 it was point, click, everything dies. I'm finding myself planning how I'm going to kill things in NM, now that I know what to expect. Luring monsters to a suitable area and things like that.
  3. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

Yes. I hadn't noticed that until now because the follower hasn't screwed up yet. He's just been quietly doing his job well; well, not quietly - dude likes to talk. I wish he had more item slots.

Not sure what you mean. Builds still exist, though I am also not 100% sold on the lack of trees where every wizard of a given level has access to the exact same skills.

Me too. No runes in D3 (using them as a generic label for subskills doesn't count; if I can't pick it up off the ground and brag about it here, it's not a rune).

D2 wasn't? Or do you just mean that they should have done it differently this time?

The last 2 acts have been like this for my wizard; just spam Disintegrate with Convergence. My monk is also doing well, but she uses more variety in her skills.

4. TheReadMenace

TheReadMenace IncGamers Member

Maybe I'm simple-minded, but I like achievements. 1,640 points so far, and I want more! It kinda saddens me when I get one, knowing that I'll never get the chance to earn the same achievement again.

And yeah, the story isn't mind-blowing. ...But at least there IS a story. From the start of D2, the whole premise is "find your way to Diablo and kill him."

More pros:
    No attack rating
    No arrows/bolts
    No defensive penalty if I'm hit while running
    Enemies and areas feel more varied/less repetitive (so far)
    Enemies have more varied mods
    Gold has value (for now)
    Surviving is seemingly harder; strategic play is the name of the game. Getting hit hurts.
    Boss battles are more involving
    The look of gear on characters. It's awesome now.
    Good length to the game. It feels longer than D2, but I'm also searching for new events/lore each time I enter an area
    Random events make each game feel a little different

Cons:
    Running from an enemy once they swing, you're pretty much guaranteed to get hit
    Up to now, increasing skill effect is entirely dependent on gear
    Unenforced build commitment could hurt longevity without the need to make new characters
    Gem variety and usefulness is far too limited
    Charms and the Mystic/enchants are missing
    Stealing this, but I can't detect any place/area for short bursts of quick to run for potentially awesome items. It's gonna be all about long commitments what with the Nephilim Valor system in the late game, and that's gonna eat up time.
  5. Pijus

Pijus IncGamers Member

I like:
    Knockback. Throwing enemies is very satisfying.
    Physics. Breaking them pots is also very satisfying.
    Lots of new lore. I love finding all of the books and getting more info on what happened in D1 and D2.
    As TRM said, certain annoying mechanics are gone.
    Charms are gone. Hate em in Diablo 2. Useless inventory clutter.

I don't like:
    The player characters. Barbarian, Monk, Wizard, Demon Humter, Witch Doctor. The they are all pure and noble and nice all the time. At least at the start of the game they all say the same thing "I'll save your town", "I'll help save your uncle", etc. I don't feel connecter to any of their attitudes. When I made a barbarian he said in his little cinematic "maybe here I'll find a worthy challange". And then he says "I'll save your town, I'll save your uncle". I wish he'd say "Point me to the baddest demon around".

The characters again. They all seem to be superpowered, extra special, prodigies, wise men, etc. I wish they would be ordinary shmucks who rises up to the challange of fighting demons. It would mean more to me then. Many games have this problem, Skyrim for example.

The character progression feels abit slow for me. Just a personal thing I guess. I wish I'd get the skills faster.

Low drop rates get on my nerves. It's like there are no rare or unique items in the game. I've played for hours and I found like 5 rares.
    Last edited: May 20, 2012
  6. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

Still way too early for a "review" but I'll put out the point that we shouldn't be comparing D3 with D2 post 1.07. When D2 first came out, there weren't elite items, and only a handful of uniques. There weren't any runes or charms. D3 will have an expansion, if not more than one. So far, and I've yet to finish act I normal (playing through with 5 HC characters in tandem) I have good things to say about the game. Biggest con for me is that it makes me dizzy. I can't play for much more than 30 minutes at a time.
  7. Smips

Smips IncGamers Member

I've played up to level 58 with a monk and I'm in Act 2 Hell. So, up to this point...

Pros:
    -Gameplay is great. I'm constantly immersed in everything that's going on, things seem to flow well, etc. Overall, it's just a very fun experience.

-Difficulty. For those of you cruising in Normal or Nightmare, don't worry. That stops. I hit a total brick wall about 3/4s of the way through Act 2, so I went back to Act 1 to farm/level. Back in Act 1, things are more manageable, but champion/elite packs still require thought and strategy. I'm also very happy that the difficult lies in sustainability. This puts more focus on skill than in D2.

-Removal of all the annoying things from D2. You know, like AR, defense being useless, stamina, poor durability... The list probably goes on.

-Really great environments. Except Act 4. I didn't really like Act 4.

Cons:

-Drop rates. I've played for way more hours than I would care to admit and I've only found 2 Legendaries. Plus there's the new controversy that Legendaries might suck. I'm not really buying in to that though. I'm sure the Legendaries/Sets provide way more survivability in Inferno than a huge DPS blue. I guess if you want to die 5 times per boss pack, blues would be fine.

-I'd like more socketables...or something. Just something more to modify my items.

-More incentive to stick with a build. I'm fine with being able to change on the fly, but I wish you got some kind of bonus for not changing.

I'm sure there's more to add to both of these lists, but that's all for now. Overall, really enjoying it.
  8. Shagsbeard

Not to argue, but a bonus for not changing would only be seen as a penalty attached to changing. I agree with your concept, but simply to grant a bonus for not changing wouldn't fly. There should be some degree of specialization, and currently there really is none except for the limited stash size effect... and that will eventually become moot.
  9. Es Mors

Es Mors IncGamers Member

I am currently in Act 1 NM with a barbarian and so far the general impression of the game is very very good.

Pros:
    Gameplay: Much more fun than in D2 (and I loved D2!). I think Smips described it well.

Skill system: One of my favourite aspects of the game. I find myself planning and trying out different stuff, which is something I could never do in D2, because one wrong choice would mean that I ruined my character. Also, I was skeptical when they were saying that you would have to use many skills and expected it to be a one or two skill clickfest, but I actualy constantly use all of my hotkeys!

Level design: Fantastic! So much variation and everything is very polished. Alot of interesting environments. My favourites are dungeons in Act 2.

Crafting system: Very interesting, I spend alot of time crafting.

Followers: Nice that you get to choose their spells and the little stories they have are interesting.

Difficulty: I hear good things about the game being very challenging in the later difficulties. What I really like, is the type of difficulty - D2 was pretty much about avoiding one hit kills. In D3 tactical use of skills can get you far.

Characters: The char choices are just as good as in D2 IMO. Not better and not worse.

Monsters: Nice variation in monsters and many of them are really cool and well designed. A lot of interesting and different types to be found.

Cons:

Stash size: RIP ATMA and GoMule. :(

Gems: Too little variation in what they can do. Just one more effect per gem (based on item you socket them in) would go a long way.

Undecided:

Drop rates: My hopes are that legendaries turn out to be the best items in the game, except for really rare rolls on yellow items. If the current rumours about even the common blue items being better than orange are ture, then that sucks quite a bit. However, I have not seen any actual valid basis for these rumours.

Monster mods: Could be more variation in Normal, but I am starting to see more different mods in Nightmare. There is much potential, will have to see how it turns out.
  10. BaronScarpia

BaronScarpia IncGamers Member

Pros:

- Nice and addictive gameplay;
    - Storyline;
    - Classes;
    - Followers (they're smarter than me now :) )

Cons:

- No offline mode - which kinda almost kill the game (People can just jump in the game while you're in the middle of something and skyrocket the life of the bosspack you're killing)
    - NPCs talk too much;
    - Server (but it's getting better)
    - Enemies that kill you after you kill them (aka doll effect) - the most annoying game-feature ever, imo...
    - Potential low replayability
    - No pindle-style feature (if they remove the chest exploit everybody is talking about)
    - Privacy issue (you can look how much time you're friends played, see if they left you behind in a mp quest, copy their builds and a couple other things small minded people can do, but I still hadn't chance too :whistling:)
  11. TheReadMenace

TheReadMenace IncGamers Member

If you've got friends that are jumping into your game unannounced, you can turn that off. Under the Social tab in Options, uncheck the box that says Allow Quick Join.

Agreed with everyone that Followers are smart, but yeah, they're also unaware as to when they should keep their traps shut. It's neat when they announce a boss pack, but otherwise I'm already tired of their random banter.

And today I died twice to a boss pack that had Molten and Mortar. It was the mortars that were killing me. When I killed the last guy, I exclaimed, "Finally!" Then I ran to go pick up his drops. Then the Molten explosion OHKO'ed me. Pretty dumb of me!

12. Smips

Smips IncGamers Member

I HATE Molten packs :D.

Another pro I realized:
    The auction house. Criticize it all you want, it's a great way to make some cash and get some viable gear. No doubt, you can always find better, since no one will sell their best gear.

Just a note too. I hit the Act boss in Act 2 Hell and there's no bloody chance I'm beating him any time soon.

13. Shagsbeard

Two deaths so far... both Barbarian. I would comment that the diversity of weapons is kind of lost since only one of the five classes seems suited for their use. The other classes can use swords/maces/polearms/whatever, but all have their specialized weapons. If they add another class to the game, they need to bring in another melee based character.
  14. spearv

spearv IncGamers Member

Pros - I feel like my money was well spent. I've had an amazingly good time this last week. The first playthrough on normal definitely ranks amongst the best hours in my entire video-gaming career.

Cons - I think its a shame the game shipped with some broken systems, time developing those could have been better spent elsewhere.

The two easiest examples are the artisans. They're both horribly expensive, near useless gold sinks during the levelling process. The JC just steals your money for combining bad gems (or extracting them). The blacksmith is extremely expensive to keep relevant, totally inferior to the AH in any case, and winds up with hundreds of useless recipes just in order to get to the end-game stuff (idk if this will actually be useful, I'm not qualified to answer that).

I like the idea of the artisans, my guess is that they'll have a place in the end-game, but they're awful in the early game. I'd probably be happier if the JC started at Flawless Square (and extracted for free), and if the Blacksmith offered nothing until level 60.

I was going to finish with my little rant there, but another thing crossed my mind. I have been making a (small) amount of gold from the AH by buying the basic salvage material from hell items for under 44g per. They vendor for 44g per. Because of the 15% cut they need to sell for nearly 60g per for the seller to actually make a profit vs vendoring. The AH needs to limit the minimum price on these, I don't believe people who're bad at math should be punished for not thinking about this. I suppose the fact that people are giving away money on crafting mats would indicate that the crafting system isn't too popular!

While I don't like Arcane Enchanted, Molten, Frozen, Waller packs, a random pro, so I'm ending a little more positive: I like the fact that I'm having to pay attention to defensive stats, not just offensive.
  15. Pijus

Pijus IncGamers Member

I realized I hate the level design is the game. In EVERY SINGLE AREA I have to backtrack through the whole damn thing to get at that unexplored corner. Somehow it's never clear if you're going towards the main quest or into a side area, and you usually can't tell untill you hit the quest marker. I am considering just rushing towards the main quest just to avoid all the backtracking through empty corridors.
  16. Asmodeous

Asmodeous IncGamers Member

Early days for me as I've only seen acts 1 & 2.

PRO's
    -
    Back drop. The graphics of the world, trees, paths, buildings etc are beautiful. Really paints the picture of the world of sanctuary really well.
    - Story line. Ok, it's a bit patchy here and there but overall so far, its enjoyable and better than D1 or 2.
    - Battle.net. Multi player only aside, in D2 I had pings of 700-1,100 and in D3 I'm getting 350-600. it might be my own connection as I upgraded from ADSL 1 to 2 since the last time I tried D2 battle.net.
    - Mercs/moron/followers. Much better than D2. Atm I like the banter. It hasn't worn thin for me yet.
    - Sounds. The back ground music, monsters shieks and attack sounds. I haven't heard anything sonically yet that I don't like apart from the barbarians bash sound being too loud.

CON's

- Monsters. I don't like the sprites. Imho monsters such as the goatmen for example, I liked the D2 version better. Overall they look "cartoony" and out of place against the backdrop of the game graphics.
    - Characters. They look "cartoony" as well though some are better than others. The worst imho is the barbarian, just doesnt look right.
    - Skills. No point making another barbarian such as D2, WW, Beserker, frenzy or concentrate. All you have to do in D3 is click a few things in game.
    - Dumbing down. Being a technical maths kinda person, I liked the maths and inner workings and planning/stat/skill of the characters. all gone now. Pick a toon, dress them up and go kill things. I guess D3 will be coming out on xbox/ps soon?
    - Artisan. Looks like a overly complicated gambling system to me.
    - No single player.
    - Melee character nerf - healing pots. Playing a melee toon is difficult as your relying on your gear to survive and can't rely on healing potions. Demon hunter/wizards stand back and blast everything to bits then walk over and pick up the goodies. The barb gets into a fight with a unique pack and can only use one healing potion. The healing bulbs don't appear untill after you kill the monster. But they seem to appear less for the barbarian than my other ranged attack characters. Just like D2, melee characters are far weaker than the ranged characters. An example is the fight with leoric. barb level 12, died twice. Demon hunter level 10 and killed him in half the time easy peasy.
    Many a time Ive had to run back to wp to heal in town instead of chugging a pot after a fight. Demon hunter/wizard is leaving red bulbs behind, rarely needing to use any.
  17. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

People who are "bad at math" should always be punished, necessity being the mother of progress.......

Although, another way of looking at it is that those who pay attention to the math are rewarded.......

Agreed. I think that 'stat changes' tool tip is way, way too much help. It is nice to not have to think too much, though.

1) Yes, good revenue stream. They can charge for access to rares, etc. That'll bring us an expansion that much sooner.
    2) The Arena will provide a prime venue for hurling racial and sexual epithets, both hallmarks of bnet and Xbox Live.

18. thefranklin

thefranklin IncGamers Member

The dumbing down is infuriating when trying to choose what skill to use. The damage percentages are not shown in game. I was using Entangling Shot with Chain Gang rune because it allowed some early aoe for the Demon Hunter. I just kept using it for quite a few levels, not knowing I was nerfing my damage because of that!

"Light your arrow on fire to do additional damage." WTF does that mean? 500% additional or 5%? I understand I can go test it on enemies, but that is not how I want to figure out the skill mechanics when it is a simple freaking number!
  19. Kitteh

Kitteh IncGamers Site Pal

The game itself I love except for when my AP runs out so I end up running into an elite mob, why the hell wouldn't you make it so you have to re-click?

My only other annoyance is the terrible way that they're handling the endless connection/hacking issues.
  20. Helx

Helx IncGamers Member

Agree with a bunch of the pros and cons posted here. Starting to feel more comfortable with the whole game and its changes. Have logged several hours the last two days with RL friends, and I have to say that the MP'ing has taken the game to a different level of fun and has made progression much easier. DH + WD + Wiz = total destruction at least up to Act 2 Normal, even with self found items only.@Kitteh, yeah, that hacked account stuff is starting to worry me. Especially frustrating when there's no alternative to playing online other than not playing.Edit: sorry no paragraphs but my silly PC @ work isn't allowing them evidently.