Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Sour Introductions

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by SourImplant, Jul 14, 2005. | Replies: 17 | Views: 678

1. SourImplant

SourImplant IncGamers Member

Sour Introductions

My name is Sour, and I'm here to tell you a little story about Diablo in the south.

I found Diablo in a Blockbuster Video store for the Sony Playstation many years ago. It looked cool, and I took it home with me, sat down with my brother, and we played it for about an hour.

I hated Diablo.

My brother hated it too, but said to me, "Wouldn't this be a lot more fun on the computer?"

To this day, I don't know if he already knew about Diablo or not. Personally, the entirety of my PC gaming experience consisted of Doom and Jazz Jackrabbit shareware the the bright gleaming jewel in my crown, Quake, which I played on the keyboard because using a mouse to point and aim was to me one of the world's dumbest ideas.

So, my brother got Diablo for the PC and we loaded it up on my computer. As it turned out, he was right. It was a lot better on PC. My brother loved it.

But I still hated it.

Fast-forward to early July, the year 2000. It's my brother's birthday, and I'm bouncing from one end of Wal-Mart to the other trying to find a good present for him. When I passed by the PC games section of the electronics corner, I do a double-take and damn near trip over my own feet. There's a new game that's just come out, the sequel to my brother's favorite game of all time.

I bought Diablo 2 and some wrapping paper, performed the world's worst gift-wrapping job in the Wal-Mart parking lot, and gave my brother his new game.

We loaded it up on my computer, and he played it for hours.

I played it for half an hour the next morning and realized something.

I hated Diablo 2.

One year later, I repeated my frenzied Wal-Mart dash and got Lord of Destruction, the expansion pack for my brother's new favorite game of all time.

As it turned out, I hated the expansion too.

Fast-forward one more time with me. It's early in July of 2005, raining everyday. Since I work outside pouring concrete for a living, this is a crazy time for me. I stare out the window waiting for anything, any kind of sign that the rain will stop long enough for me to make a buck. I'm pacing in the living room, cussing at my brother's cats for running around the house so fast, giving my dog a few light kicks because he's not moving fast enough.

I don't know why, but for some reason I thought it'd be a good idea to play Diablo 2 for a while.

But this time I went at it a little differently. I found a Diablo 2 web site, filled with all kinds of information and strategies about the game. I found a forum where people are refining their own personal quests for these so called Grails and holding off-the-wall competitions.

And then I got into the game, and I learned something new.

I love Diablo 2.

I've got an Assassin, 46, with Wake of Fire as her main skill, the Fire Blast synergy maxed out, a few points in a few other areas. I cheated a little bit to make her a Hardcore character, and the threat of permanent death as I make my way through the wake of The Wanderer make things more interesting. Seeing the hooded figures of my other failed Hardcore characters (the best of which was a Necromancer, 43, killed by Diablo; the worst was a Sorceress, 6, killed in the entrance of the Cold Plains; their deeds of valor will be remembered)every time I turn on the game also stresses the feeling that if just one thing goes wrong, I'm in for a very painful death.

I've got a little program called ATMA, which houses a Dimoak's Hew I've collected just because I've never seen a Unique item before and didn't want to throw it away. I've got a plan, and I know where my next skill point is going, and the next one after that, and the one after that. For the first time ever, I've got a character in Nightmare, and that scares the hell out of me when I see big swarms of monsters.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is yes, there are still newbs in a game that was released five years ago.

Which would make me SourImplant, the Single Player Forum's Newest Newb.
  2. BennB

BennB IncGamers Member

Welcome to the SPF.

Lots of info here for the Diablo newb

Enjoy!
  3. Darkwell

Darkwell IncGamers Member

Welcome to the SPF. I had d1 and d2 in a drawer for 2.5 years before opening either box. Now I'm adicted...just like you.
  4. San

San IncGamers Member

Welcome to the SPF :)

I also played D1 and D2 vanilla in their times.. both sucked, at least now afterwards compared to D2 exp.
  5. TrubbaNot

TrubbaNot IncGamers Member

Great intro! I like your writing style. Hope you'll post frequently.
  6. essojay

essojay IncGamers Member

Welcome.

I read all that. See? I don't have an attention de
  7. Sledge

Sledge IncGamers Member

huh?

welcome :thumbsup:
  8. Dave in the basement

Dave in the basement IncGamers Member

Maybe he created her in ATMA, without having had to complete normal first. :)

Welcome to the SPF, O Sour one! Great intro. :D

Dave :teeth:
  9. killmesh

killmesh IncGamers Member

hehe no one has done it yet

*kicks shins*
    Muahahahahhahaha
    Anyway welcome to the forums man check out the bar.
  10. EnerSense

EnerSense IncGamers Member

Hi and welcome to SPF!
  11. phatbrava

phatbrava IncGamers Member

nice story there Sour!
    watch out, the game is soooo addictive.
    welcome and enjoy your stay :)
  12. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

Welcome Sour, nice intro. ;) I'm glad you got over your hate and into the loving. Enjoy your time as a "newb", in some respects that's at least as much fun as knowing pretty much everything there is to know.
  13. SourImplant

SourImplant IncGamers Member

I can see how not knowing anything can be more fun than knowing everything, but I am looking forward to a time where I don't spit beer all over my monitor in disbelief every time I see gold lettering on an item.
  14. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

Well, if you drink enough beer you'll be back at not knowing anything soon enough... ;)
  15. Ana

Ana IncGamers Member

Killi, I wish you hadn't done that. *hands Sour a full juvi*. Thats all this EU can do since Sidhe is still missing. She has magic dust, works a lot better than juvi.

So welcome and enjoy your stay. With posts like yours I know I will :clap:
  16. Nibiru-

Nibiru- IncGamers Member

My parents never let me play diablo because they said it was satanic. So I only got to play it when they went of town or were not home. Made it all the more fun. :D
  17. water_moon

water_moon IncGamers Member

Welcome! Enjoy this goodie basket of baked goodness and squid repelant. Read the FAQs, don't mind my spelling errors, and watch out for the kickers (they get so happy when some one new comes they can't help themselves).

I do like your write ups, now lets see how good you are with writting up your characters :thumbsup: and enjoy the insane builds and tourneys.
  18. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

Ah, there is no fervor like that of a convert. I'm sure we'll see Sour on top of the Grail list soon.

Welcome to the forums!