Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Sorceress in hell.. advice needed

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Kalimora, Jan 28, 2012. | Replies: 149 | Views: 16769

1. Kalimora

Kalimora IncGamers Member

Sorceress in hell.. advice needed

Hello! :)

Tried some searches came up sort of blank..

This is my only character, new, so no supergear yet..

Looks like i cant farm too much in nightmare, so I need to go on in hell..

Problem is, my character is 60 now, i got an act5 normal barbarian merc.

I put my points as following:
    20 points blizzard
    20points glacial spike
    15points fireball
    1 in fire/cold mastery.
    1 teleport
    1 static field
    1 warmth..

my gear is pretty bad..
    just got skin of vipermagi, so that may help with elemental damage in hell.
    i had a plain 600defense armor before that.

Anyways, basicly when i try to play in hell, i just die.
    Im a little low level to be in hell yet i guess, and my gear is not up to it.

I try to use some MF, have a about 97MF so far.

Basicly, my question is, which elemental school should i choose for PVM, pure PVM ( im playing single player)
    I noticed lightning was doing most damage, but had lowest average damage.
    I cant use the nice infinity runeword as im not in ladder.

I got a lot of runes, but nothing higher than lum yet.

So, should i keep putting points into fireball for now, to get that damage up?
    Or should i reset again and go into lightning as main, with cold as backup?

My stats are about as following..
    up to 100 in strenght total.
    50 in energy total. 75 with gear.( this is way too low, especially with warmth only at level 1)
    i got about 110 total in vitality, and about 110 points unspent..
    I just reset my character, cause i had no alternative damage, and my merc sucks, so he cant take out groups of monsters which are immune to cold.
    My fireball did only like 70-80dmg before reset. now its 260..

This i should keep putting points in to vita, or go higher in energy? i have 2 more resets.
    but would prefer not to have to use them..

i heard SOJ dropped mostly off andariel in NM, so farmed her a bit today to no luck..

I found a nagel ring earlier though.

Drops are the same in singleplayer as on closed battlenet?(i played there before, but those characters are long gone)

Anyways, thanks for your time! Much appreciate it if anyone has some advice.
  2. zaphodbrx

zaphodbrx IncGamers Member

Re: Sorceress in hell.. advice needed

Okay first, level 60 is a bit low for hell.
    You need to fix your build. Glacial spike does nothing and blizzard doesn't even add damage to it. Max ice blast instead. Otherwise it seems to be okay.

You can use RWM ( rune word mod ) to enable ladder only runewords in single player. Make insight in an exceptional polearm ( or elite if you have it ), and stick it on a defiance merc ( act 2 normal defensive )

Don't put any points in energy. Mana items + insight > energy.
    Put them all in vita or the moment. Later if you find a blocking shield and want to use one, you can respec to max block. Also, don't go overboard on strength. 80 is a good enough number to equip almost anything on a sorceress. The only heavy item you can have is a spirit monarch, and monarchs don't drop till act 3 hell.

What are your resists at the moment? Try not to be negative in any of them. And try to have fire and lightning as high as possible.

As for mf, it only makes sense if you want to run NM andariel/ mephisto/ Baal. I wouldn't suggest mf in hell , not yet. Fill those mf gear slots with resist gear or +skills gear. I do suggest Baal running though. It will level you up nicely, and you can enter hell at level 70+
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  3. magicrectangle

magicrectangle IncGamers Member

Blizzballer is a good build, gear and level issues are probably the bigger issue than spec. As zaphod says, ice blast is better than glacial spike, but since you'll be using fireball as your primary untimered attack, there's no real need for you to use a respec on it. At some point down the road you'll want to respec for some other reason, and you can move those points then.

A "rhyme" shield and a "lore" hat are always good easy gear bits. If you end up installing RWM like zaphod suggested then a spirit crystal sword as well as insight for your merc are excellent additions.

I'll second the suggestion to run NM baal until you're level 70 or so, you need a stronger fireball before you can start doing much in hell.
  4. Kalimora

First off, thanks for the answer! :)

My build is ok, if you recheck the skilltree you will see Glacial Spike does add damage to Blizzard, as much as ice bolt and ice blast does.
    It is true ice blast does more damage though, but glacial does aoe freeze, which is pretty handy when fighting monsters which can kill you in a few hits.

I tried defiance merc first, but he seemed not to do so much, but to die alot.
    Im trying the act 5now, though he has lower health and defense, he seems to be doing ok, he attacks more i think.
    But he dies a lot when i attempt hell.. So maybe i should take up and act2 again.

I also found no gear to put on the act5, while i have 2-3 elite polearms for the act 2..

I have to put points in energy so far, else i empty my manapool by casting 3 blizzards.. The belt only carries so many potions.
    I've had some bad luck on the charm-side so far.

My resists in hell are as following:
    Fire -3
    Cold 75
    lightning - 10
    poison -20

Im working on adding more resistance, but the gear i put on also need to be good in other things aswell.

I am running bosses, but i assume its a little pointless until i get to hell, as i miss out on so many of the potential drops.
    I am not choosing pieces with more MF, if i loose out on resistance, or lots of defense. Just for a few more MF points.

My defence is only 628, you guys think its a bad idea to wear "skin of the vipermagi" due to its +30 to all resistances, instead of a plain 602 def armor?
    As a sorceress you arent supposed to tank, so I believe its better this way, but ranged normal attacks would do way more damage now yes?

I can see potential problems in act2 and act3 with this setup.. Aswell as act5 spear throwers/archers.

Though a lot of items can drop until i get there.

I got enough runes for both Rhyme and Splendor.. and have been waiting for a good grim shield drop.

I nearly want to start a laddercharacter for the additional runewords i can get there.
    Im not much for addons, I wouldn't get into trouble if i play open battle net with a modded character?

Ofcourse, last time i played open, i ran into hacked guys all the time, with godly damages and insane stats.. cheated characters..

So i switched to closed net, which is much better, but these days seems emtpy and full of bots.
    I play on the europe portal.

Thanks magicrectangle for your advices and inputs aswell.

Any general ideas which immunities i can run into the least in hell difficulty?
    I will mainly run act3 mephisto and act 5 baal when i manage to get through hell.
    Some Andariel.

Im looking for gear with this character, to equip it, and potential other characters which would have a harder time doing quick MF/loot runs.

5. zaphodbrx

Glacial spike does very little damage, blizzard does not give glacial any damage at all just freeze length, while ice blast gets a hefty boost from blizzard. Thats not the biggest of your problems but I'm just pointing it out.

If you use the RWM mod, you can enable insight in single player and most of your mana problems will go away.
    By the way Rhyme is also a ladder only runeword.. you need RWM for that too.

Also cold resists are not really needed and I have no idea how you managed to max that, try to get other resists instead.
    Yes, use the vipermagi! There is almost no difference between 300 def and 600 def. In fact there is almost no difference between 300 and 3000 def. It is only at about 7000+ def that it starts to matter more.

You can get a lot of items in nightmare, its not useless at all to mf NM baal. Eg, you can get Oculus, shako, etc.

By the way.. I am not really sure if you're single player. SP usually means you have the character on your own machine , instead of logging on to Bnet.. Atleast thats how I understand it. So don't connect to bnet at all.
  6. Kalimora

Ah yes, that is true about glacial spike, its damage are basicly bad.
    But aoe+aoe freeze saves the day often.. I must admit i had iceblast before reset yesterday.
    All the guides and opinions is a bit hard to filter.

I am not a new player, but I havent played for 12 years. So I'm basicly new.

Cold resist is that high cause i found a few small charms with resist in cold. and no other cathegories..

My old Mf character was a nova/orb sorceress around level 97, with most the good items you can can easily obtain..
    I seem to recall her killspeed wasn't that great, which is why i try other things now.

every site i have checked lists rhyme as a normal game runeword. Ill report back after i find a shield to socket. not like shael and eth are very rare.

I have a few items with resistance to cold at 39,32,19 resist.. also the charms.. each of these items have other resistancebits on them aswell.. obviously not that great ones :)

you guys would recommend i go back to act2 normal and buy me an act 2 defensive merc instead of my current act5 one?
    The one i got now is level 62, brought up from 30-40ish when I got him.

I play single player, but you can use those singleplayer characters on battle.net open.
    I have 2 copies of diablo, so i can change gear back and forth with myself, using 2 computers.

I think I managed to run Baal on my old sorceress i believe, without problem. Though of course, Baal himself usually isnt the problem, its the throneroom that makes it hard for me usually..

7. zaphodbrx

Ah sorry I meant spirit, not rhyme. Spirit in a crystal sword is a good weapon, and you'll be wanting to make a spirit shield too.
    Merc will be hired at about the same level your character is, so that's not a problem.

This is very inefficient. Just use ATMA.
  8. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Site Pal

glacial spike is awesome.
  9. magicrectangle

Dead stuff is more awesome than frozen stuff. The DPS output from iceblast is quite good.
  10. Scudstorm

Scudstorm IncGamers Member

IMHO, you should play an Orb-it-aller if you intent to MF at lvl60. Blizzballer's advantage is that it has a timered spell + a spammable spell in both elements. This cannot be achieved at lvl60, thus a lvl60 Blizzballer is simply worse than a lvl60 Orb-it-aller. That said, at this lvl it is not a good idea to MF in Hell. NM Andy/Meph/Trav/Baal/Chaos are all good for you.

Also, there are some fine gear advices already mentioned here. With RWM, your priorities should be:

- 'Spirit' sword
    - 'Lore' helmet
    - 'Rhyme' shield

- 'Insight' polearm: exceptional or elite base (merc)
    - Life leech helmet (merc)
    - 'Treachery' or 'Smoke' armor (merc)

I value FCR breakpoints very high for all sorcs, including starting ones. 63% FCR will mean you will be able to safely tele away from most mobs before their attack hits you. After FCR come the resists, with Light and Fire being the most critical ones (not only are they the deadliest, but also you get Thawing and Antidote potions for the 2 remaining elements). +skills is always nice to have and is the next priority, but do remember that a dead sorc will do 0 dmg.
  11. Kalimora

Hey! :) Good morning all!

I am now 1 level from 70 atleast.. 69.. one baalrun from 70.. baal basicly give me nothing usefull at all. greedy sod.

Anyways, at 60, i couldnt even clear the den of evil in hell.
    My damage with fireball is considerably higher now, so maybe its time to attempt it again.

Honestly though, Im not sure im finding blizzard to my liking.. Its damage is great! aoe is nice. but it hits monsters so seldom.. Especially knights.. Though it is awesome to kill baal and mephisto with blizzard..

How would a frozen orb/fireball build look compared to my current blizzard,glacial spike/fireball ?
    Think I would get into problems killing things on hell difficulty?

Maybe i should reconsider putting in RWM? I got enough runes to make 2 spirit words already..
    I got a 256def blackthorn face yesterday atleast.

I max out both cold and lightning resist in nightmare now, haven't checked Hell, as it resets the baal map in NM then..

I need more FCR, I sometimes get pinned down while teleporting the map, and recovering my body at those occations.. Is a tiresome business.. makes a baalrun take at least 2x as long.

How is a sorceress with FHR(faster hit recovery), i kept a few items on me, because they give this feature, and basicly only that + some small resistance is the reason i keep them.

Im at 500hp now, with 86 free points to spare, i think my energy is ok at present, i havent increased it further, i need to continously go for pots though..
    Can't wait to get some real mana regen gear or mana+ items..
    SOJ evades me.. as usual. Never got one the other times i played either, but then at least a friend gave me one..

I read the best droprate is andariel at NM, this is still correct in 1.3?
    I read something about trying in normal too, but that seemed a little farfetched, is andariel capable of dropping it in Normal?

Thanks for your time and advices! :) They are much appreciated.

12. magicrectangle

This is the point of ice blast. Blizzard is amazing against groups and against bosses or other monsters with large size, but against single/little monsters it often doesn't hit right away. For these it is better to nuke them with ice blast. Ice blast does extremely good single-target damage.

If you install RWM and get a spirit CS, that gets you 55 FHR right off. 5 more will put you at the 60 FHR breakpoint, which is more than enough for teleporting.

If you install RWM and make an insight for your merc, all mana concerns will go away. You simply do not need any points in energy, or any other mana regen type items when you have an insight merc. Put all your points into vitality, save for just enough strength for your gear.

Nightmare Andariel is technically the best place for SoJs, but hell Andariel is almost as good, and also drops a lot of other useful stuff you can't get from nightmare andy. Blizzard makes very short work of her, you should be able to farm hell andy even in pretty poor gear - but you need to get your HP up by dumping your stat points into vit, so you don't die.

13. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Site Pal

coming from HC, i'd rather monsters were frozen than my character dead. perhaps that colors my liking of GS a bit, but i liked it before going to HC.

14. Kalimora

It is annoying to die, and GS can save your life as a sorceress. :)

Especially boring on HC, only played barbarian on HC, and he was around level 85 when I stopped playing him.. but he got kinda outfitted by the generosity of some guys I played with :)
    So he had it easy.

I just installed RWM i think.. cant see any indication that it is actually working yet..
    I will know when i try a runeword i guess?

Anyways, question: Can i socket and "insight" any polearm?
    I can't socket and runeword a kelpie for instance? I got 2 of those..

I got a rare with decent damage too.
    I read the best type would be an elite polearm with some nice +stats on it..
    I don't think i found any of those yet..
    Cryptic axe looks to be the best, but no sure my merc can wear it.

havent changed away from my barbarian merc yet..

15. zaphodbrx

You can only make a runeword in a normal weapon ( ie, not unique, set, rares ).
    And it has to have the right number of sockets too. Insight requires a 4 socket polearm.
  16. magicrectangle

Any elite pole with 4 sockets that he can equip is good. Threshers have relatively low requirements and are fast, so they're a good choice, but really the answer is any 4os pole you can get your hands on. Then make another insight later to upgrade. Don't wait for a good elite pole to come along. The worst possible insight is still better than anything else for your merc at this stage.
  17. Kalimora

Ofcrouse, only normal weapons..

It seems i lack the SOL rune.. I have 3x amn though, dunno if i should upgrade them into a SOL..

That means i need to wait to build Spirit though.
    not that I have any good candidates for that runeword either..
    On a sidenote, i think i have 4 thul, so i can actually pull this off, for now..

Another joyous event has occured, i manged to clear the den of evil on hell.. haha
    Im level 70 now..

I still stink, if anything cold resistant comes up(countess is right?) i basicly strike out...

This is the set up so far :)

http://www.diablofans.com/page/tool...0101100010007100k00010l0l1l0l0l0l111110110l00
    Plans is to keep building up firebolt. So i get some decent firedamage comming in..

Thanks again for your time and advices! :)
    Im glad so many still play this game!
  18. Kalimora

well, i reached mephisto!

Took a lot of deaths. a lot of gold resurrecting my merc..
    im level 74, and 88mf, basicly the same gear!

lets get some real gear now! :) hopefully he is kind and drop some nice gear fast.

if ound a 826def bramble suit with sockets.. should put some topazes into it maybe?
  19. zaphodbrx

Run nightmare countess for runes like Amn, Sol, etc.
  20. Kalimora

Got runes, lack bases for runewords.

Im still running mephisto.. probably killed him a few hundred times now..
    Lack most the gear you want for a a sorc.. my MF is 256 atm. I run him with /p1 on hell difficulty, i tried 20kills on /players3.

All the testing brought some questions forth.. As how hard monsters will be, aswell as how many drops etc are decided when you enter a level. Is also what drops decided upon entering the level?
    Or when you kill the monster?

What i do at the moment, is use a rare orb with +2skills +3 blizzard to take down mephistos hp, then swap to alibaba right before he dies.
    This should give me the extra MF on alibaba for the drops, or am i mistaken there?

I was wondering if i should wear alibaba when i enter durance of hate level 3 aswell, if that will affect what i get in drops.

I got 3 parts of immortal king, hades armor.. mage fists, a few other nice items.. but basicly, im not getting much this round.
    Wondering if i should try to clear baal instead of spending so much time on meph.

Atleast i got eschuta's temper, so no more dieing as i teleport around hopefully.