Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Sorc Build for Key Runs

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Azzaron, Oct 3, 2011. | Replies: 7 | Views: 2310

1. Azzaron

Azzaron IncGamers Member

Sorc Build for Key Runs

Hey all,

I have a high-level MF sorc with maxed Frozen Orb, Lightning, Chain Lightning and Lightning Mastery. I'm wearing Tal's + War Travs + resist rings & gloves (will get an SoJ or 2 soon). My defiance merc is using Andy's/Insight/Fortitude (can't afford Infinity yet).

Will this setup, I can do Hell Meph runs easily enough.

However, will I be able to do key runs? Obviously infinity on my merc would help key runs, but would swapping skills also help? How important, for key runs, is it to dump all of my points in the cold tree and put them into Nova and/or Charged Bolt instead?

Thanks for any insight (pun, get it? :smug:) you can provide....

PS: If it's smarter to make a sorc that isn't lightning-based for key runs, feel free to tell me...
  2. scollin

scollin IncGamers Member

Re: Sorc Build for Key Runs

Lightning sorc with infinity is the best key runner in the game by a long ways. Even without infinity they can do it fine, just nihlathak being occasionally lightning immune can be a problem.

Countess- Cold skills are useless as both the countess and her minions are cold immune. A half decent lightning attack will kill her in 2 hits.

Summoner- A joke with any sorc, a light sorc is the best for clearing people around him though.

Nihlathak- The hardest one. If you have an infinity, teleport near him, let him get hit with conviction, and one good lightning attack should kill him unless he spawned with lightning enchanted. The only issues here are

1. The Vipers are light immune, and they will kill your merc incredibly quick.
    2. Without Nature's Peace, killing anything near Nilly without killing him will get you blown up very quickly.
    3. Even with Nature's Peace, your mercenary (since equipped with Infinity) will be doing lots of damage, and will probably accidentally kill a few people, which will get you blown up.

Obviously if you can kill Nihlathak in one shot he won't have time to blow you up, and you'll avoid all these problems. If this is not an option, then some people like to use frozen orb on Nihlathak since all his minions are cold immune so you wont accidentally kill them. although your mercenary might still. A maxed frozen orb aimed well will kill him quickly enough, and teleporting around should stop your mercenary from killing too many.

I realize I went a little off topic there. To answer your question, if you have an infinity take the points out of cold and put them in lightning synergies, you'll run countess/summoner easily with either setup, but Nilly will be easier with pure lightning + infinity.
  3. magicrectangle

magicrectangle IncGamers Member

With a sol'd gladiator's bane my merc has no trouble with vipers, poke poke they're dead. I just make sure I'm not close enough to him to eat the corpse explosion when they drop.

Fortunately nature's peace costs almost nothing. A pul or a few pgems.

Full lightning with infinity is definitely the best key runner, full lightning without infinity is also pretty good. If nilithak spawns light enchanted just move on to the next game, it doesn't happen often enough to be a big problem.

4. SunSet

SunSet IncGamers Member

I got an infy sorc, and when i mf, i run in:
    Countess - The Pit - Andy - Summoner - Duriel - Mephi - Diablo (sometimes, if i need essences) - Shenk - Pindleskin - Nihlathank - Baal (same as Diablo)

The only problem i have is with Nihlathank. I just cant take more than 2 explosions, and if he is surrounded by vipers, i'm dead and gone ^_^ But i'm improving my tele-hit skills, and i'm getting better at it ^^
  5. scollin

scollin IncGamers Member

Ya i know, i do my key runs with my light sorc who doesn't have an infinity, and nihlathak is light immune maybe 1 out of 10 times.

I just don't like the vipers. Sometimes I teleport into a cloud they've left behind and it takes off half my health before i can move. If you gear your merc properly its no problem. I actually prefer to Nilly run with my zealot tho, its slightly slower (but still quick, runs take under a minute) and much safer. But that's off topic, the best sorc for key running is a light sorc hands down
  6. SunSet

SunSet IncGamers Member

last thing...remeber, if you are going to do just 1 tree (light) you really want to get an infy, cause you might need to do some MF runs for some money/runes/items/w/e, and without infy, a 1 tree sorc is useless...

But if you know that you arent going to MF, just keyruns, well..light is enough i guess.
  7. scollin

scollin IncGamers Member

A light sorc can still MF, just not area MF they can kill bosses fine (although not nearly as well as Blizz Sorc).
  8. Flax

Flax IncGamers Member

I run Keys with my pure cold mf sorc.
    Yeah countess is cold immune but a decent merc pokes her to death very fast.
    Just try to get 30ish PDR for the pit vipers.
    Nithlak can spawn cold immune and thus your merc may need to poke a bit more or just skip that run.

As ppl are saying a fully decked out lightning sorc is best but thats expensive.
    The advantage of running keys with a sorc is that you can do it with most any build without HR's you just need a decent merc.