Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Some miscellaneous questions...

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Community Forum' started by SanjaV, Apr 19, 2012. | Replies: 21 | Views: 1292

1. SanjaV

SanjaV IncGamers Member

Some miscellaneous questions...

*Sigh* It's that time again—the time when the semi-hardcoreish girl gamer sans any Diablo III beta access asks what are usually straight forward questions, and all the very nice and patient people at Inc. Gamers provide her with thoughtful and thorough answers sans any judgementalness or superiority. With that out of the way, here's what I'd like to know:

1. Global play. Assuming I'm not too concerned about the potential language barriers I may face on certain servers, and am solely interested in reducing any potential lag, how should I choose which server to play on? I like in Sydney, Australia, so is it in my best interest to use Blizzard's Asian servers because they'd be closer geographically?

2. Can one change what server they're on, and retain all their achievements, characters, and so on?

3. Perhaps the silliest question: you can actually, you know, delete characters to free up character slots for yourself, right? I intend to create two variants of each character right off the bat, just so I can use them all to avoid the shared stash getting cluttered with miscellaneous class-specific gear.

4. I have no real intention of using the RMAH, as I find it more rewarding to play rather than pay. Do those in the beta, and more familiar with online games in general, suspect that the gold-based auction house will see as much trading action as they real-money one?

5. Is the gold-based auction house also subject to a posting fee when attempting to sell an item via it? You can't really find any information on the gold-based auction house specifically.

Thanks again nice and friendly people...
  2. Amarules

Amarules IncGamers Member

1. US servers are better than Asian for Aussies frim all I've read here. Or at least as good with the bonus of an english speaking community.

2. No different server wont retain characters from elsewhere.

3. Yes you can delete characters

4. I fully expect to be able to find everything I might want, even top items eventually on the gold AH. When you consider the volume of people playing and the supposed high repair costs, people wilk want to sell items for gold.

5. Edit-thought you said RMAH.

Not sure if I noticed a gold deposit on the Beta gold-AH. Markets forum
    can tell you. There is certainly no real currency involved though.
  3. Kitteh

Kitteh IncGamers Site Pal

Re: Some miscellaneous questions...

There shouldn't be a fee for the gold AH, that would seem a bit stupid to be honest. You never know these days though...
  4. SanjaV

SanjaV IncGamers Member

Thank you.

I assumed the posting fee was for both auction houses, to discourage players from just posting crap—"spraying and praying" so to speak. But then again, you can only have 10 items posted at once am I correct?

edit: Oh, one more thing. Items have an inherent gold value don't they? Will there be a market for selling items worth more than an in-game npc vendor would pay for?
  5. Kitteh

Kitteh IncGamers Site Pal

I hope I've understood correctly.

I would imagine that there will be many items which will be worth more gold to other players than you will get from a vendor.
  6. Flux

Flux Administrator

GJ saying you're a girl. Thus ensuring more guys will reply!

With the AH largely automated, players posting junk auctions doesn't really matter. You don't search by user, and in fact you can't even see who posted which auction at all. You just search on the stuff posted, and buy it if you like it. Players will surely try to get above market value for commodities, but there also, you just see the aggregate auctions by item and price, and buy X amount of whatever you want, with that pulling from all available auctions. If someone lists their for way above the going rate, they'll just never sell it.

As for the inherent gold value... not really. NPC prices are very low in D3; you earn 99% of your gold picking it up or from quests. Items sell for literally less than a single gold stack you'll find while adventuring.

7. Amarules

Lol I didn't even notice that bit as I just skipped to 1. assuming that was the start of the question. If I had read the intro I would probably l left the thread :thumbdown:

8. Raesene

Raesene IncGamers Member

This is so true. If I were the King of Blizzard, I would have made it so you couldn't even sell items to vendor at all. I would have just removed the sale value of items completely from the game. It only adds confusion and adds no real benefit. In fact, when I'm standing in town and want to get rid of some junk in my inventory, I literally throw them on the group instead of taking the time to walk over to the vendor to sell them. I'm not the only person that does this.

9. cozmiccc

cozmiccc IncGamers Member

4) Gold can be traded for real money and there'll be a floating exchange rate. So that means Gold AH and RM AH both should have the same baseline, if you saw something that's cost really low in gold auction house but comparatively expensive in RMAH, then someone smart will buy gold from RMAH then use the gold to buy it from Gold AH, then resell = profit! Hence in the long run there shouldn't be many price difference between the two auction house

Same thing if you saw a gear with ridiculous gold price in GAH, but relatively cheap in RMAH. Then the smart thing to do is to sell your gold for real money then use that to buy the cheaper gear in RMAH.

And precisely due to that reason, Blizzard had said that there'll also be a fee for the gold auction house to balanced it out as they're essentially part of the same economy.

So the answer for question 4 is.... It doesn't matter, you can always sell gold and use that to buy from RMAH :p
  10. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

did i hear there was a girl on the forums? little comp for loriku?
  11. Mefet

Mefet IncGamers Member

Since all questions found their answer. Let me add one miscellaneous question even though i'm no girl (sorry).
    Back in D2, i played the game without any outside help for a long time. Once i checked some D2 website, i learned how crafting worked but it didn't bother me because what i like about D2 crafting is that it isn't mandatory, you could be completly optimised without any crafting (except merging gems).

Now my question is : will it be the case in D3 ?

I planned on skipping crafting in D3 aswell but it seems way more complex (meaning with way more possibilities) and one of them is jewelcrafting, according to the wiki the jewel artisan is necessary to merge your gems, and to unsocket. The problem is that i suppose i will need to upgrade the artisan to be able to merge more powerfull gem meaning that i will have to upgrade my artisan and so can't miss the whole artisan progression in D3. Please tell me i'm wrong :p
  12. The Rockman

The Rockman IncGamers Member

Mefet: In theory you wont have to do any crafting D3 as like in D2 you should be getting good drops from playing the game. The big difference is that in D3 you are told what you can make in game, (blacksmith listings) and as such it be a lot easier to craft stuff for stop-gaps purposes (that is when you haven't receive a good item of type X for a while you).
  13. cozmiccc

cozmiccc IncGamers Member

Looks like that crafting in D3 basically replaces gambling in D2, except you know whether you're getting a rare or a blue ahead of time... If you don't want to craft at all, you can purchase them directly from both auction house, but where's the excitement from that? :p
  14. Karpalo

Karpalo IncGamers Member

Heh my thoughts exactly. I almost assumed the follow up would be: "Can i borrow someones beta access?"

15. Snerra

Snerra IncGamers Member

It's true that you need the jeweler to make better gems. The blacksmith is more optional, I suppose.

Although, as far as I see it, there's really no good reason to ignore crafting. Vendoring magic items gives you some gold, it's true, but that doesn't outweigh the usefulness of crafting. You might as well salvage them and craft items that will speed up your leveling. Besides, you have nothing else to spend your gold on than upgrading the artisans early on. I believe the devs have stated that drops in the later stages of the game will surpass crafted items (which I like).

16. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

Crafting in D3 is more about filling the gaps left over from item drops. You can play and gear up through only drops but maybe you never get a shoulder drop. So you just visit the blacksmith and boom, new shoulders. Late game is more to replace gambling I think. People will sit and create the same item 20 times in a row trying to get a great roll. I think the D3 crafting is far superior to what was offered in D2
  17. Mefet

Mefet IncGamers Member

Thanks for the answers (wich is jeweler is mandatory if i don't want to only rely on gem drops) wich is what i was afraid of. Guess i'll have to spend some time in city talking to that jeweler, time not spent at getting closer to Diablo :'(. (Or one other solution is to delegate my gem crafting to a friend/family so i'll only need to worry about sending him the lesser one and maybe some items to salvage and not about leveling the jeweler myself :p)
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  18. Amarules

I wouldnt worry. The actual process of training artisans in terms of time spent in town isnt that time consuming. Just stockpile mats then every 5-10 levels visit him and spam click the training button. In 30 seconds you can be back in the action.

It is certainly no more cumbersome than having to stop in D2 to cube up gems to make space our mule, and D3 gems stack so less time spent playing tetris in your stash.

19. Risingred

Risingred IncGamers Member

This question was not fully explored.
    I don't live in Australia but I'm a little familiar with the internet setup there. Basically there's two main ISPs, I don't remember their names. One ISP gets great ping to the US servers (I believe they're based in Sydney) which is why many aussies were clamoring for access to the States. The other ISP gets better ping on Asian servers, but obviously there's a language barrier amongst other cultural issues.

What Blizzard did for Diablo III, due to ping tests from various areas, was to group AU/NZ in with the US servers. You'll notice on the official Diablo III forums, there's now a general discussion forum specifically for AU/NZ gamers.

Bashiok made a post about this in the forums, here's a quote:

20. SanjaV

SanjaV IncGamers Member

Um... okay. Not quite sure what happened here. I was a little embarrassed about asking what I knew would be very easy questions to answer, and thought I'd break the ice a little first and provide some context. I wasn't batting my virtual eyelashes, nor did I have any other agenda other than to seek answers to my questions. And if there aren't many girls on these forums, well, maybe some of the snarky-ness captured herein is precisely why...

Thanks to those who made worthwhile contributions to the thread. Particularly Risingred for that great insight into the online infrastructure. Will there be some kind of utility that showcases, say, the delay you're currently experiencing from each server before you lock in your choice?