Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

So... What EXACTLY is the Meteor

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Leord, May 3, 2010. | Replies: 47 | Views: 16593

1. Leord

Leord IncGamers Member

So... What EXACTLY is the Meteor

We've updated the Meteor article in DiabloWiki, with as many links and images as we could find.

First off, have you seen material that potentially could be related that you can add to the article?

Secondly, what do you think is in that Meteor? A fallen angel seems like the most common guess.
  2. Technomancer

Technomancer IncGamers Member

Re: So... What EXACTLY is the Meteor

I think Imperius is also a likely candidate if the meteor is in fact an angel. Coming to finish what he started so long ago, methinks...
  3. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd IncGamers Member

Hopefully something like an angel. Unfortunately, with the world's end type of theme, seeing that meteor just seemed way too much like Final Fantasy 7.
  4. Zeek

Zeek IncGamers Member

It's an inanimate carbon blob. You heard it here first!
  5. Slevinn

Slevinn IncGamers Member

I'm inclined to agree with Techno, IF it is an Angel of some sort. If it's not, then it's probably just a regular meteor that pissed off a napping evil.

6. elganame

elganame IncGamers Member

I think that if they choose a meteor they are going to have a reason. I dont think its just any meteor that with some bad luck hits the cradle of evil...could have been an earthquake it they dont wanted to give a reason to the meteor...

I dont know much about Diablo game and its paralelism with cristian religion, but could it be the meteor the tree kings followed to finde the choosen child?
    Will we see also a flood that kills hells fire entrance made by the meteor?

7. Malaterre

Malaterre IncGamers Member

The Diablo lore is not completely equivalent to Christian religion. Angels are not benevolent guys, ready to forgive the errors of humans. Most of them would like to destroy the world of Sanctuary as they think the demons could use the humans as allies in the war between Heaven and Hell. Tyrael and some other angels are willing to give a chance to humanity, thinking that they will, in the end, help Heaven instead of Hell. Finally, some guys (for example the priests of Rathma = necromancers) try to free humanity from the influence of Hell and Heaven...

So the Diablo lore is not directly related with Christian religion even it really looked like it during the two first games, as it was mostly a story of humans fighting against demons with the help of angels. The lore was expanded mostly in the novels that were published these last years to include these "bad" angels.

That is why many people think that this aspect of angels that would come in Sanctuary to fight humanity could be a part of the story of Diablo 3. So the meteor could be one of these angels arriving on Sanctuary from heaven.
  8. korialstraz

korialstraz IncGamers Site Pal

I wouldn't describe the followers of Rathma as people trying to free humanity from the influence of Hell and Heaven.

Followers of Rathma believe (at least according to the novels) that the world needs a balance of both light and dark. Should one overpower the other, the worlds existence would hang in the balance.

It actually isn't an easy task to classify good and evil in Diablo lore imo, if again we take the novels into account, which can be considered cannon.

*SPOILER FROM NOVELS BELOW*

Humans are the results of Angel and Demon breeding. Some Angels and Demons grew tired of the endless fight between High Heavens and Burning Hells, thus sought out a place to get away from such fighting. IIRC it was the angel Inarius and demon Lillith, who sought out other angels and demons with the same feeling of the war between Heaven and Hell, and thus created Sanctuary, and eventually humans.

When sanctuary was first discovered (The Sin Wars), the angels sought to destroy the humans, since their powers from being half demon half angels was considered a threat to High Heavens war against Hell. The powers humans was capable would far exceed that of both demons and angels (Sin Wars), when Uldyssian cast out all angels and demons from Sanctuary, and almost single handedly destroyed Sanctuary as well. On the other hand, the demonic forces sought to recruit the humans to their fight against the angels.

Rathma's entity is Trag'Oul, a dragon like form that helped shield Sanctuary from the eyes of Heaven and Hell. There's also some references to similar entities, although as far as I recall none of them were named.

As for the meteor, none of the angels that invaded Sanctuary during the Sin Wars appeared as meteors, although that does not exclude the possibility that the angels can appear like meteors when arriving in Sanctuary.

9. Morannon

Morannon IncGamers Member

I think the meteor is Tyraels "hero-recruitment-campaign". Tyrael needs new heroes because hell is about to invade. So Tyrael transforms himself into the meteor and lights up the sky. As we know heroes and their organizations are drawn to the meteor.

In order to assure that the heroes are of top quality, Tyrael sets up a test for them. That's why he aims the meteor (himself) towards the cathedral. Crashing into the cathedral wakes up the dead and the skeleton king. And so the heroes who seek the "fallen star" must first get past the skeleton king. The heroes who make it are worthy of Tyrael's quests.
  10. DivineSweety

DivineSweety IncGamers Member

might also be one of the prime evils who came from the abyss(also very pissed of).
  11. ThulRasha

ThulRasha Diablo: IncGamers Member

"And Justice shall fall upon the world of men."

Tyrael is the archangel of justice...
  12. humungous

humungous IncGamers Member

Given the intro trailer quote...most likely it IS Tyrael. Now, what if:

The Heavens are angered with Tyrael for destroying the worldstone. Remember Tyrael doesn't even have his own sword now (remember the announcement about a comic where a kid finds his sword near Arreat and does cool crap with it?). Why would he leave it on Sanctuary for 20 years? Because Heaven imprisoned him and he has no choice.

Tyrael, being immensely powerful, manages to break out of his prison after 20 years (Plz note the concept art showing an angel turning into a ball of fire...and also another one of an angel trapped inside some kind of floating tower) and comes to Sanctuary as the meteor at the beginning of the game. For maximum epicness, with an army of angels hot on his heels.

Whether this is merely an escape...or whether he has returned to tell us something...is again up to speculation.
  13. humungous

humungous IncGamers Member

The above is, I believe, a pretty well-rounded theory. I'm surprised - why isn't anybody replying to this? Are these lore forums dead?
  14. Technomancer

Technomancer IncGamers Member

The Lore forum is pretty slow, but Tyrael being the meteor has been mentioned in several other threads on here, so people probably just don't have much more to add. I haven't seen the pic of an angel trapped in a tower, that could very well be Tyrael. Did it have blue wings? There is an old pic I've seen that is suppose to be an angel in Act 1, but it had red wings, so it could be a different angel.

Here's a wiki page about the meteor: The_Meteor
  15. ThulRasha

ThulRasha Diablo: IncGamers Member

Makes sense humungous, it also would explain why Tyrael (bridle) is around in D3 disguised as a human (D2 paladin lookalike). Perhaps his disguise is not to hide him from the humans, but instead making it harder for his peers to find him.
  16. mrmcphee

mrmcphee IncGamers Member

Disguise? Or maybe his angel status was revoked, and now he's mortal. If it means he's less powerful, it would suit the Prime Evils motives since he's a powerful and active foe of the Hells. It also makes sense given that the Primes' plans are going exactly as they intended, supposedly.

17. acceleration turkey

acceleration turkey IncGamers Member

based on the new 2011 blizzcon cinematic, im thinking the meteor is at least in part going to deliver the black soul stone that causes leah to hallucinate. at least, that was my interpretation of the cinematic.

perhaps the meteor is tyrael bringing the black soul stone to hand off to the player character/leah/good npc humans for use or destruction, before azmodan gets it. or perhaps the meteor is just the soul stone itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjkEgJPhZ1Y
  18. Amarules

Amarules IncGamers Member

I'd agree that the meteor contains the Black Soulstone, or in part (as we have seen that there are several locations in Act1 where you can see the blue glow where the meteor landed suggesting it broke up and scattered as it fell to earth.

My other feeling is that perhaps the Black Soulstone is in fact part of the worldstone.

The lore panel told us about how it was the key to being able to shape the world as you liked..and its basically what Heaven & Hell have been fighting over for millions of years.

At the end of LoD Tyrael felt he had to destroy the Worldstone or what we now now was just a part of it after Baal corrupted it.

There was also a Jay Wilson quote at a previous Blizzcon in which he said "we'll find out that things went exactly as hell planned"

We know from the Act 4 Epilogue cinematic of D2 that Maurius was unable to destroy Baal's soulstone due to cowardice and ended up handing it over to Baal. Baal then took it to Mt. Arreat and infused it with the power of the corrupted Worldstone granting it special power that Baal Intends to use to revive his brothers.

One can only assume when Baal was killed in LoD the Black Soulstone was found and taken to heaven for safe gaurding. But for some reason it was then sent back to earth from heaven where Leah then came to be in possession of one fragment.
    Thats my working theory at least.
  19. mrmcphee

mrmcphee IncGamers Member

It's hard to say with the information we have. We don't know what the nature of the Black Soulstone is, let alone why it has fallen to Sanctuary. They've tried containing the Primes in soulstones before and it didn't work out that well for the good guys.
  20. celbii

celbii IncGamers Member

If the black soulstone was part of the world stone, I would guess it would be the part the uldysseian modified in the books.