Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

so this weekend will see the release date for new nvidia cards that are coming out

Discussion in 'Tech Support for Diablo 3, Battle.Net & Systems' started by demonslayers, Apr 25, 2012. | Replies: 15 | Views: 1079

1. demonslayers

demonslayers IncGamers Member

so this weekend will see the release date for new nvidia cards that are coming out

i known for fact the gtx 690 will have a release date but how about the gtx 670ti maybe i should wait till this week
  2. Tilitoon

Tilitoon IncGamers Member

Re: so this weekend will see the release date for new nvidia cards that are coming ou

Nobody knows, beside what you pointed out. The 690 will be announced soon and the 7990 too. As for the GTX 670 TI, they should be crippled GTX 680, so if they are not too expensive they should be a great buy for the hardcore gamer. They are probably stocking them right now, each one that doesn't meet the 680 standards will be rebranded as a 670 TI, when they'll have enough they will announce it. I predict they will be out in May, but when exactly I have no clue.
  3. aerial

aerial IncGamers Member

Re: so this weekend will see the release date for new nvidia cards that are coming ou

These are all very powerdul cards, I doubt there will be many people upgrading to these, specifically for diablo 3.
  4. demonslayers

im planning on playing witcher 2 guild wars 2 diablo 3 risen 2
  5. Tilitoon

Witcher 2 with the new High Res pack should be pretty neat.
  6. darkstarhub

darkstarhub IncGamers Member

I am on the fence about a card for the build I am planning. I have been considering a GTX 580, but a 680 would be tits. Definitely overkill for D3, but would help if I ever wanted to get into a more demanding game. You mention something I did not know about what the "ti" means. So, for example, a GeForce 560ti is a card that didn't spec out enough for a 570?
  7. Tilitoon

It's not a particularity of the TI nomenclature, it just happens to be the case for that model (670 TI). The same concept applies for example on the Radeon 6970 where some shaders are defect and therefore they disable them (and more) and tweak some other settings like memory / GPU frenquency + voltages and they create a new product, the Radeon 6950. That's why you can flash the bios on those models and re-enable the disabled shaders, if you are lucky in the draw, you can end up with a 6950 that performs pretty much the same as the 6970.

A similar concept exists with the CPU (it's called "binning"). For example, an i5 Sandy Brige CPU that doesn't meet the 2500 (@ 3.3Ghz) requirements could be sold as an i5 2300 (@ 2.8Ghz). That's why, again if you are lucky on the draw, you can end up with a 2300 that overclocks almost as much as one 2500, because it was very close to meet the requirements.

8. darkstarhub

darkstarhub IncGamers Member

I see what your saying. I am learning a whole lot more since I have been looking at parts and trying to figure out what will work together. I knew a little about computers before, but since this building one idea came up, I realized I was pretty ignorant of alot of things computerwise!

I wonder what the price point will be on the 680? I noticed MSI has some new laptops coming out that have a 3GB 680 in them. Those laptops are the main thing keeping me from going ahead and building a desktop. They are flat out beautiful.
  9. demonslayers

10. Tilitoon

One thing is certain, the 690 will be announced there. But I guess that's not what you are waiting for (hopefully). As these dual GPU on one PCB video cards tend to have a very average performance / price ratio. I have a 5970 and the crossfire scaling is not good, plus it also causes problems in certain games. That being said, from the tests I've seen with the 680 in SLI, they seem to scale a lot better. However it's not enough to justify the price / high power consumption and temperatures unless you are buying that model just so you can say you have the best video card at the moment. But hey, each side needs its flagship video card so...

You can always wait 3 days to see if they will announce the TI, but even if they do, I doubt you'll be able to get one before May 15.
  11. MrH

MrH IncGamers Member

I've got a GTX 680 sitting in a box next to me waiting to go, so Nvidia can announce whatever they want, you can't wait forever.
  12. Tilitoon

If you don't mind the price then I can't disagree with you, the 680 won't disapoint that's for sure.

13. MrH

MrH IncGamers Member

Usually I'm more of a price/performance type of guy, but this time I thought **** it and went with what I wanted. I'm looking forward to hooking it all up but I need to wait for my CPU (3570k) which I should get on Tuesday.

14. Risingred

Risingred IncGamers Member

None of those would require that card. I'm playing GW2 right now and it's currently CPU dependent but when they switch to GPU it wouldn't take much more than a 560 to run it maxed. I can play in stereoscopic while recording it in FRAPS without much trouble.

15. Felix

Felix IncGamers Member

If you are able to let the GTX680 work it´s lifespan it will keep on trucking for years and years, and as such not be unfeasible at a price/performance ratio. The risk is of course, that you will get that itch to buy new before you really need to, which is an itch common to people buying top of the line cards.

16. MrH

MrH IncGamers Member

I usually upgrade every 3 years, so I try to get something that will last at least that long.