Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

So, Iron golem.

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by zaphodbrx, Dec 9, 2011. | Replies: 12 | Views: 17942

1. zaphodbrx

zaphodbrx IncGamers Member

So, Iron golem.

My clay golem is only good against bosses. Fire golem has twice the hp of clay but his aura annoys everyone and they always focus him down real quick. So I decided I will try Iron Golem.

I have following items in mind

IK maul ( have 4 of these ) for crushing blow. Should I put eths in the sockets?
    Smoke armor. I have 50 allres from summon resist, will this make my golem immune?
    Wizardspike. Same question regarding immunities
    Insight polearm. But I really don't need mana

Any other ideas/comments ?

2. Black Lotus

Black Lotus IncGamers Member

Re: So, Iron golem.

Answer the question first: what do you want/need your Iron Golem to do?
    Insight is pretty common choice for most necros, and the fact "you really dont need many" makes me feel there is something wrong with you and your setup. Normally you're either constantly drinking pots or have an insight IG around.

3. zaphodbrx

I don't particularly need it to do anything, just sit around and not die. Style points mainly.
    My necromancer is a meleemancer/summoner hybrid and yea he doesnt need mana.

4. Black Lotus

Black Lotus IncGamers Member

I would suggest infinity aura for meleemancer (you can have infinity on both a2 merc and golem slot).
    Do you wear beast yourself? Another good choice for IG if you dont hold it yourself for some reason, or have fanaticism from A1 merc.
    Eth Doom IG is very stylish IMO.
    I see you refuse to use CE with you necro, so you might consider Pride to be good investment for IG, as it suddenly becomes effective again, for non-ce setups.

Smoke will make IG immune to everything except physical damage, yes.

5. zaphodbrx

Single player man. I don't have duped runewords to waste on IGs :)
    Will make it out of smoke, thanks.

6. ughhh

ughhh IncGamers Member

Do you have to use a new item each time you make a golem? Or does he follow you even when you leave the game? Do you need a new item when he dies?

7. Greizer

Greizer IncGamers Member

Do note that even if you have the wealth, it is unwise to make a golem out of a Doom or Infinity, because the golem might randomly disappear. It is rare but known to happen. Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. Sometimes it rains. And sometimes your golem disappears. :coffee::dontknow:

@ughhh: Yes, he will follow you around from game to game. You will only need a new item if he disappears or dies.

8. Corpsesmoker

Corpsesmoker IncGamers Member

It would be nice to know when an IG disapears, i used IG insight since like ladder 4 and i never ever lost one unless he died or i died, it might be just like revives when you cant 'recenter' them with teleport.
    I cant really help on that matter but to say i never ever popped an insight IG without having enigma so i usually never let him wander aimlessly if hes not around my 4X minions...
    To be frank since i heard about that issue i buried deep in my mind the idea of a beast IG :D

9. zaphodbrx

I ended up making an IG out of a Hwanin's justice ( have plenty of em ). CtC iceball and increased attack speed works great. He hasn't died yet, so lets see.

10. thefranklin

thefranklin IncGamers Member

You also lose the IG when you die.
    Another point to know: The IG is recalculated based on the skills you have equipped upon entering a game. So if you prebuffed when creating the IG, it will only last for that game. You would have to leave every game with prebuff gear on.

11. coju

coju IncGamers Member

Hmm, thanks for that knowledge franklin! I've only ever used clay golem, he always seems to do the trick for me.

One reason I haven't made Iron is my poverty level, and the fact that I like to run fool (yes, fool) speed ahead in HC to bypass stuff I've already done 3 times because I cannot find a way point. I'll have 10 skelies, next thing only 4 made it.

Reckon if I made one, I'd just tp pop every once in a while to keep him in line.

12. sankuspr

sankuspr IncGamers Member

Okay so i know im resurecting an old thread and that no one plays d2 anymore... But...
    Well, im goofing around with it in SP and plan to make an IG out of a beast axe on a level 27 necro. The question is, will i have to remake the golem as i pump the IG skill level to have him benefit from said plus skills? Or will the existing IG automatically gain benefits from more points put into the IG/golem mastery skills?

PS Im assuming he is recalculated upon every game entrance. Meaning if i pumped IG five times in one game and left, in the new game the IG that appears when i enter would be five skill levels higher than the one in the previous game WITHOUT recasting.. IF this is the case, do i have to actually leave the game to see the improvement, or will the golem be stronger immediately upon raising the IG skill level?

13. hubb

hubb IncGamers Member

Yep, IG is recasted to whatever skill level you have then, it doesn't get stronger immediately.Good luck. ;D