Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

So I played Diablo 3 today...

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Denninger, Aug 18, 2011. | Replies: 31 | Views: 2878

1. Denninger

Denninger IncGamers Member

So I played Diablo 3 today...

Since the beginning of August, I would sit here every day, hoping for the beta to finally begin. I spent hours every day on reading the latest news (including all the user comments), listening to podcasts and all the other stuff you can do. I'm pretty sure a lot of you guys do the same, right?

Well, beta didn't start yet, so I decided to go to the Gamescom because I couldn't wait any longer.
    Waiting in line was a pain in the ***. It was damn narrow and there were smelly, sweating nerds behind and in front of me and my mate that I brought along with me.
    But after waiting for 2 hours, we finally could sit down to play.

Everyone who is waiting for this game and didn't play it yet, let me tell you:
    Diablo 3 will be even better than you expect it to be!
    Before I started to play, I was like: "Ok I know what I will be playing, I've seen all the gameplay videos, this game will not make me **** brix"
    ... but it did! After 30 seconds of playing I was completly in love. The gameplay is so unbelievably smooth. The 20 or 25 minutes we were allowed to play went by in no time. Seriously, it was just awesome and pure fun. Seriously, killing a special, named mob in Diablo 3 that drops like 4-5 items and tons of gold is the best feeling you can have when playing video games. I even found a unique/legendary sword, and I'm pretty sure it's name was "Sword of 1000 Truths". Too bad I couldn't use it because I played the demon hunter.

I know there are lots of people who are worried about the recent changes like always online/ RMAH/ no skillpoints... I was worried too, but after experiencing the extremely smooth gameplay I can't be bothered by these things anymore. The gameplay will be perfect, and that's the most important thing. If you play it, you will fall in love. So everyone who doubts that Blizzard know what they are doing... they know.
  2. Zeek

Zeek IncGamers Member

Re: So I played Diablo 3 today...

I played the previous demo build and didn't fall in love. It's all relative. Though I don't find much enjoyment in playing a prebuilt character. I want to build my character from the start and see the progression. I got to play the demo 3 times and only gained one level each time I played.

It made it tough to be impressed when there wasn't any real progress being made.

Anyway point is everyone likes different things. Not everyone will be instantly impressed.
  3. Exile

Exile IncGamers Member

I have to agree to this. The game play feels like diablo. I think this is what separates Blizzard from the rest of the herd. They hone down on the way a skill or movement feels and then tweak it for the next 100 years, then discuss the changes, and then tweak it again. Obviously it's really annoying to wait for their games, but the play quality is through the roof.

4. Neinball

Neinball <a href="payments.php">IncGamers Site Pal</a> and<

Glad you liked the demo! There is a pretty big difference in perspective from watching videos and looking at screenshots to actually getting your hands on the game.

How far did you get? Did you make it to the warden in the jail?
  5. Drev

Drev IncGamers Member

What about music? Is it in the current Gamescom build? And if so, how it`s like comparing to Diablo1.
  6. Lizurd

Lizurd IncGamers Member

Did you catch the PC Specs?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  7. HunterSCtv

HunterSCtv IncGamers Member

Man hearing this gives me butterflies .. which sounds kinda lame cause you usually say that about a girl. lolol but its true! I cannot wait, i've said it before: D3 is my #1 release of all time. When D3 is exhausted years and years down the line I will probably (maybe) retire from gaming. This is my game, cannot wait for the beta. Less than a month for sure.
  8. Doppel

Doppel Banned

You obviously won't be noticing the downside of all these changes if only playing 45 minutes.
    But anyways, it's nice to hear the game feels good to play, actionwise, that's about the only thing left for me to get excited about and Blizzard to **** up yet.
  9. Tryfis

Tryfis IncGamers Member

Not sure if serious. My troll sense is tingling. Is the sword of a 1000 truths confirmed to be in the game? It could also just be a joke to throw in the beta. I know it is in WoW, but that was kinda the whole theme of the South Park episode, not D3.

If not, then I'm glad to hear it.
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  10. FletVictus

FletVictus IncGamers Member

You can always count on a blizzard game being smooth and polished, that's why they are the best.
  11. redtigeroh

redtigeroh IncGamers Member

Thanks for posting your enjoyment with the game! It's really encouraging to hear how great the game we are all waiting on is going to be. I was excited by the two minutes of footage that was posted from Gamescom and your words just make me even more excited. You said some of the things I thought I noticed in those 2 minutes. Thanks man!
  12. Tidusz

Tidusz IncGamers Member

It will definitely reduce making more than one character of the same class. If the game is very good and there is lots to do to improve your characters then overall replay value should not be affected. In a way, removing the tedium of leveling a enchant sorc, bo barb etc. may add to the replay value by making the game more fun and less "oh i screwed up this char time to make a new one" and "I need to level 10 characters, each with a specific job" etc. I don't think many people found the requirement of leveling many characters for specific roles very fun, since I made the majority of my forum gold by power leveling characters for people (1-80 overnight, cheap rates vouched etc).

If you do enjoy leveling and you don't like that removal of skills will lessen the amount of re-leveling you need to do, I would give the advice that you can likely do well on the RMAT by selling leveled characters. Why not farm your characters some gear by doing what you love? Convert your love for leveling chars into items/currency or money, sort of like I did on JSP albeit without getting screwed over by shady people and a completely corrupt system (I wonder how that guy who is friends with the admin has 10 000 fg).

13. Lords

Lords IncGamers Member

Yeah well I will be playing HC so for me selling characters will not be an option. I am content with it now, but I still can't get behind it. People say there will be customization, and there will be, but there won't be any diversity between characters and that is where my problem with the system lies.

14. Tidusz

Tidusz IncGamers Member

That depends on how rare the higher level runes are and how big of a difference they make in the power of the spell over a more common and cheaper rune. Way down the line if you have good runes for all of your abilities then yes a character could be very strong with any combination of skills, but not at the same time. With a limit of 6 skills there should still be a fair bit of diversity between the same classes, as long as the skill combinations are roughly balanced. Certainly if some skills are way overpowered then it could boil down to everyone using those skills/runes, and then there is passives and gear itemization. It's hard to say how diverse chars of the same class will be endgame in d3 but I would expect quite a bit moreso than in diablo 2.

As for playing hardcore, I did so myself in D2 and I imagine you will still be able to sell characters through JSP or something similar. It just wont be quite as good.

Just for fun what viable builds were there in D2?
    Paladin: smiter for bosses, hammerdin
    barbarian: bo barb, whirlwind/berzerk, frenzy for bosses
    sorc: enchant sorc, lite w/ infinity, fire or frost or both for magicfind etc
    amazon: javazon for clearing cows/cs, pvp bowazon
    necro: summoner (viable with high end gear), pvp PnB

2 or 3 reasonable builds for each class. You could make a sorc with all 3 elements or a poison dagger necro but its not viable. Some of the popular builds weren't even really playable builds but just used to buff other characters with multiboxing. I imagine D3 can do better than 2-3 combinations of 6 skills/runes for each class.
  15. ADest

ADest IncGamers Member

Obviously cool story bro is obviously a cool story bro.

16. themoo

themoo IncGamers Member

I think he is lying, he never played D3. Because the item he said is from WOW not from D3.
  17. Crudesash68

Crudesash68 IncGamers Member

Well, it isn't like they haven't crossed names before; WoW had quite a few items with Diablo names.

The funny thing is the sword was made up for the South Park episode, they added it to one of the betas, but it wound up not getting implemented into the game, I don't exactly know why.
  18. Crayon

Crayon IncGamers Member

This post is great. Thank you for sharing as much of your experience as you could with all of us who couldn't make it. I can't wait, and I'm glad that you came away with such a good experience :D
  19. YrrAB

YrrAB IncGamers Member

Can you recall what the special name was of the monster? I'm curious to see some of the names, one of my favorite D2 past times was reading those ridiculous names, such as Snot Puke.

I remember encountering an "*** Wing the Mad" in median, absolutely incredible.
  20. Risingred

Risingred IncGamers Member

What, specifically, do you want to know? There's been info about this floating around.