Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

So I made HoTo....but

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by IfGodWasAcokeIdDrinkHim, Oct 16, 2007. | Replies: 22 | Views: 1939

1. IfGodWasAcokeIdDrinkHim

IfGodWasAcokeIdDrinkHim IncGamers Member

So I made HoTo....but

Now I got huge mana problems... and I don't know why
    I got insight on my merc , some decent regen, and a 6 point warmth...
    What am I doing wrong??
  2. GoHabsGo

GoHabsGo IncGamers Member

If your merc dies, you must open his inventory, take off his Weapon (Insight) and re-equip it. Otherwise the aura won't work.
  3. smilts

smilts IncGamers Member

wich wep were you using before?
  4. Jingizu

Jingizu Banned

What's your build? Blizzard or nova sorc? Do you use fireballs all the time? Tell us more... It depends if you have some spamable skill or not. Have you got some + Mana items? Try two or three Serpents GC for example...
  5. Raskah

Raskah IncGamers Member

I cant figure out what is your problem...
    With Hoto, Merc's Insight and mana regen (not a big deal compared to Insight!) you shouldn't have mana problem even with base energy...

You need to specify a bit more your problem.

What is your character lvl? What are your stats? And what was equip you were wearing before you start using the HOTO?

If you are a Light or Fire Sorc, even with that kind of equipament, and specially with base energy, your mana pool will disapear in a blink...

6. omgmir

omgmir IncGamers Member

My money's on a wiz spike.

7. o1d_dude

o1d_dude IncGamers Member

Sometimes, the merc's Insight aura just stops. No death involved, it just stops.

Same drill. Open merc's inventory, re-equip Insight, "Party on, Garth!"

8. IfGodWasAcokeIdDrinkHim

sorry i was asleep :)
    and omgmir is correct, I used a Wizard Spike
    Im a blizz sorc lvl 81 with no points into energy,(with gear its 53) mana pool is 269
    Equipment is the same except for HotO , its all I changed
  9. PvtCaboose

PvtCaboose IncGamers Member

What is the other equiptment being used?
  10. Colorless Green

Colorless Green IncGamers Member

I don't know exactly what you're currently using, but your fingers are obviously not both SoJ's (which I only mention because it's the only situation where I wouldn't recommend this as the remedy), or you wouldn't be having this problem, so I recommend switching one of your rings out for a bahamut's ring. They're pretty easy to come by and will significantly boost your mana pool to the point that insight coupled with a timered main attack should keep it full basically always.

Another alternative would be swapping out whatever gloves you're using for frostburns unless you desperately need FCR (the mana regen on magefist is added in to warmth and insight, I believe, so the +25% from the equipment works out to a very very small change in total mana regen.)

Final comment: super mana potions cost almost nothing and drop constantly. Drink a couple.

-CG

11. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

One more addition to CG's list of suggestions:

- Serpents charms will provide a nice boost to mana as well.

FYI, the one thing you'll notice all of these suggestions have in common is that they boost your maximum mana pool. The reason that this is effective is that it the formula to determine how much mana you regenerate per second uses the size of your mana pool. Basically, if you have a larger mana pool, you'll regenerate mana faster.

Wizardspike is a fantastic provider of mana, so by switching to HotO, you've adversely affected your mana for adding +3 skills. IMO, it's a worthwhile swap, because as CG mentioned:

12. IfGodWasAcokeIdDrinkHim

Ok, I got chancies on for MF, they got 3o%
    I might swap those out for some frostburns
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I just didnt think that that wizardspike helped so much with my mana
  13. Grumpy Old Wizard

Grumpy Old Wizard IncGamers Member

Cold spells use a lot of manna. Its a trade off for the safety they provide. Like others mentioned, rings of the baumuth (which can also be FCR rings also) and manna charms can help a lot, along with different equipment.

I never put more than 1 point in warmth BTW.

If you post your setup maybe we can help you "fine tune" it with suggestions for alternate gear that are realistically attainable.

14. silospen

silospen IncGamers Member

That's my blizz sorc. She doesn't run out of mana without serious spamming. IIRC at level 87 her mana pool sits at 600 ish with 500+ MF.
  15. Dodgydave

Dodgydave IncGamers Member

Your mana is incredibly low. Not sure how it is so low in fact. I have a level 60ish poisonmancer who has base energy and no effort put towards increasing mana and he has 500 plus. Seems strange to me that yours is languishing in the 200 even at level 81.

Would just echo everyone elses suggestions. Grab some nice magic or rare rings with a big mana boost and some serpents grand charms and you should be set. Plus drinking mana pots never hurts.
  16. mordeth

mordeth IncGamers Member

From the facts and formula archive:

Formula for calculating the maximum amount of mana a player will have after items, stat points, etc.:

Maximum mana = ((BaseEnergy - StartEnergy + Level - 1) * ClassBonus + ItemMana + StartEnergy) * (1 + PercentMana / 100) + ItemEnergy * ClassBonus

Where:

BaseEnergy = amount of Energy without items

ClassBonus =
    Amazon : 1.5
    Assassin : 1.5
    Barbarian : 1
    Druid : 2
    Necromancer : 2
    Paladin : 1.5
    Sorceress : 2

ItemEnergy = total "+X to Energy" and "+X to All Attributes" gained from items

ItemMana = total "+X to Mana" gained from items

Note that items with "increase max mana x%" do not affect the mana produced from +stat/energy items, nor do they effect items that give + X mana/clvl.

In your case, switching from wizspike to HoTO, you lose +2 mana/clvl, while maintaining the increase max mana 15%, which should translate into 162 mana, or roughly a loss of 37% of you're original mana pool. Ouch. Like others, I found myself comfortable in the 600 ballpark. On my CL/FO sorc with an Insight merc, this was enough to essentially continuously spam a lvl 30 CL, without any noticeable drop in mana, for extended periods of time.

Again, as others have pointed out, the solution for you is probably +mana rings and/or charms. By my calculations, you must have about +60 mana on your gear right now. If you can get about another +140 mana, this should make up for the mana loss from the wizspike (at your current level). Using Frosties should put you around 343 mana, or an increase of 80 mana, thus only making up about half of the loss from not using wizspike.

The actual target you want to hit though, does depend on your overall regen rate, which will improve as you increase the total size of your pool (as SirPoops pointed out). You'll probably be able to determine what's best empirically by just adding the new gear and testing it out in the Blood Moor. Continually cast Blizzards to see if you're regen rate matches the spell's mana cost (more or less). If you're accustomed to spamming GS or something during the timer, try that out too.

Good luck finding the ideal setup!
  17. BuFa

BuFa IncGamers Member

Gear. Tell. Plox.

18. silospen

silospen IncGamers Member

Read my post again :)

19. Cius

Cius IncGamers Member

Something that helped me too was to gamble rare rings. Had a couple drop with decent resists, and +70 odd mana and sometimes even life. In the early stages i also use a socketed circlet with perfect saphires. Makes a big difference. I never put points into energy, too easy to get +mana items which work better. With diminishing returns I'd reccomend swapping chancies for frostburns with that low mana. A few charms and you should be set. I managed without having ever made insight so ya, see if that works.
  20. BuFa

BuFa IncGamers Member

@silospen - thanks - I feel a great deal of stupidity coursing through my veins X.x (I wasn't even sleepy when I read the other post).