Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

So do you think the monk is a fun class?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Sulle, Apr 16, 2012. | Replies: 34 | Views: 5720

1. Sulle

Sulle IncGamers Member

So do you think the monk is a fun class?

As much as I love melee classes, the monk is IMO just disappointing and after watching the spotlight video it just got worse.

I honestly espected more umph now that we are so close to release date and less light effects, but the problems I have with the before-mentioned things would have been nothing, if blizzard desinged him to be interesting, which they really failed in doing. The skills are really really boring and the only interesting and fun skill he has is imo dashing strike.

Also what really bothers me(something I thought they would fix), is that this guy according to the video, is supposed to be a "master" of swords and other types of weapons, yet when he uses them, they are sheathed while he is hitting with his fists, but after he stops hitting they are up in his hand. How can he be a master of swords when he isn´t even using them in combat?

Summa summarum, although the monks are a part of the diablo universe(hellfire expansion),the class does indeed feel rushed and forced into diablo as if they wanted him to be there, maybe because blizzard are introducing their new class for wow, which is also a monk? I don´t know.

What do you guys think is the monk fun IYO or do you also feel it´s rushed and boring compared to the other classes?

2. Kblavkalash

Kblavkalash IncGamers Member

Re: So do you think the monk is a fun class?

Yeah from spotlight video monk seems kinda bad, but i guess it's just a video. Blizzard does not know how to show characters in action - they always look crappy. But after you play monk in real game and try different runes I think you'll like it :)

3. yovargas

yovargas IncGamers Member

Monk has turned out kinda disappointing, less than he could've been IMO, but I still think he's pretty darn cool. I like most of his skills and IMO he has the best set of Primary attacks, after maybe the WD.

4. Dudzy

Dudzy IncGamers Site Pal

Yea, that video makes it look worse then it is as unlike the barb video theres never more then a few monsters on screen. That said i think the monk will play fine but it might be my least favorite class.

5. ElementEight

ElementEight IncGamers Member

Really shallow design. Why? His abilities are basically all very similar to eachother. He doesn't seem to have those big kickass cooldowns either. Mantras are just auras, so that's 4 skills we can remove from the potential list of interesting stuff right off. Which sucks since he's got less skills than other classes off the bat.

6. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

I find the Monk incredibly fun to play - it's the video that doesn't do justice.

Cruddy editing makes combat look much slower-paced than it actually is.

He'll just hit once, wait a few seconds, and then cut to a different shot. It's really the editing and choice of shots, that's all. Blizzard did an awesome job with all the classes and it saddens me that all it takes is a poorly-made video to turn people off.

7. Raesene

Raesene IncGamers Member

I have mixed feelings about the monk. After all the classes were revealed, it was my #1 choice for a long time, but he got downgraded over time as I played the beta and grew more interested in the other classes. I like the theme and style of the character, but when I play him, I can't completely shake the feeling that I'm playing the barbarian's little brother. Dashing strike is fun, but it's no leap. I'm fine with the spirit generators, but the spirit dumpers seem to lack the umph while sporting higher costs. The bell being 100 spirit was just ridiculous, and I don't think lowering it to 75 was enough for what it does.

Of course, this number balance stuff can be worked out, but when you see things that are this off, it gives you a pretty good indication which class gets least played by the developers.

8. Sulle

Sulle IncGamers Member

Yeah, I also hope that´s the case, because I really like some of the mechanics like auras and the fast paced combat style, but the skills compared the say the barb or WD, just seem boring as if they didn´t have enough time to complete their creative process and animations on him. Afterall he does have fewer skills and passives than the other classes have.

9. Cincinnati

Cincinnati IncGamers Member

Monk does seem like the least developed class which is epitomized by the fact that he doesn't even have basic attack animations for most weapons (which in itself is utterly ridiculous considering D3's relative incomplexity in comparison to games like GW2 for instance which has brilliant animations for insane amounts of stuff). I think it's a fun class to play though, judging from the beta.

10. Smips

Smips IncGamers Member

I just got into the Beta this weekend and played through with the WD and the Monk. Much to my surprise, I found the Monk to be a load of fun. I think I actually had more fun with the Monk than the WD.

11. raveharu

raveharu IncGamers Member

Yes monk is fun to play, at least in the beta.

If you love playing a class that kicks, punches and uses martial arts, then monk is for you.

I like barbarian the least, just personal preference.

12. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

i hated the monk before playing one. the first time i used the monk i was so happy to see he was fun to use that i started thinking he would be my first character. this has since changed as i will go barb first (for now anyway) but that does not mean i do not still enjoy the monk. way more fun than i thought he would be. its my opinion that if people found the paladin or barb(d2) fun at all then they should like the monk also. way more interesting than anything melee had to offer in d2

13. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

I wouldn't judge the class based on this video. There are so many things we can't get a feel for by looking at demonstrations like this. Skill responsiveness, precise range and power. Then there are all the rune options. For example, before patch 16 I didn't like to play with the Monk at all. Now, with the introduction of the Thunderclap rune of Fists of Lightning that changed however. That one rune changed the feel of the whole class for me, so I retired my Barb and started to gear up my Monk as my gold finder character. These videos don't tell us anything really important about the classes.

14. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

I think I'm one of the few people who LIKES the fact that the Monk's weapons disappear and he uses his fists when he attacks.

It's the same reason why I liked playing a Werewolf Druid in D2 - it's all about fulfilling a particular fantasy. I wouldn't feel like I'm playing a Werewolf if he used his equipped axe to attack and wore full plate over his fur. Same with the Monk - I'd rather attack with my fists even when I use swords for the stats.

15. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

I would have gone even further and made him sheath his weapons, unless he uses fist weapons of course.

16. Previous

Previous IncGamers Member

I`d love it if blizz do something with his weapons, thats one of the things i find disapointing.. Either dont run arround with them in hands and then atack with fists, or use them if u run with them in ur hands..
    Other than that, this video is plain OLD.. Far from whats the current monk, but yeah, he is kind a little brother to the barb.
    After all that, I still love it, and i think thats my choise for a starter.

17. Crane

Crane IncGamers Member

I hated the monk until patch 16. Then, I figured out that a monk plays very much like a frenzy barb with the right weapons and a quick spirit generator (NOT deadly reach). The heals are great, and I think the monk will be very difficult to kill so he might actually be my first character that I try in later difficulties.

18. Urzuxo

Urzuxo IncGamers Member

Without giving a long explanation, I like the monk just as much as I like all the other classes (and I've played through the beta ridiculous amounts of times).

19. Wildmoon

Wildmoon IncGamers Member

Monk is actually really fun in beta. I don't really care about poorly made video.

20. DexA

DexA IncGamers Member

I just did a naked run with the monk (only starting weapon , no Breath of Heaven) and it was a ton of fun. I failed a few times at the SK but then i got that mofo because i've learned how to use the monk's skills effectively and i felt that it was due to my own skill that i could kill him eventually. I did naked runs with other characters too and it was all just kiting with all the ranged classes and waiting for Ground Stomp cooldown with the barb. But as monk i had no cooldowns to wait for and could not kite every mob so i was forced to make good decisions and really learn to use my skills wisely.

If that is any indication of this class' playstyle, i'm gonna be all over it.

But now i cant decide if i should roll a barb or a monk first.