Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

So Diablo 3 game lenght...

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by MrRandyMarsh, Apr 10, 2012. | Replies: 43 | Views: 4213

1. MrRandyMarsh

MrRandyMarsh IncGamers Member

So Diablo 3 game lenght...

( my first language isnt english so there might be more than usual spelling errors )

Im new to the forum so i apologise if this topic has been discussed to death, but i read somewhere that the actual campain lenght is approx the same as D2, and tbh that was a massive dissapointment to me. The argument for this however seems to be that the game holds quality becouse it is designed to be played over and over and still be entertaining becouse of various difficulties and item hunting etc.
    Back in the day when i bought D1 i was just in my early teens and it took up one third of my computers capacity ( 1.6 gig :thumbup: ) so the game was HUGE back then and D2 was quite large too for its time..... right ? So therefore i cant for the love of god understand why they want it to be this short when i know that computers these days have no problems holding games like Skyrim , Mass Effect etc..... hell, Oblivion came out years ago and is wastly bigger than D2. Yes I know there are some differenses in those games but i think my point still stands. Its no longer necessary to comprimise between quality and quantity to the extent it was when computers had a couple of gigs of storage. Im going to play the game many times, just like i did the other 2 but that doesnt mean im ok with the game having only 20ish hours of gameplay , its an RPG and 2012 , thats just too short.
    Also some ofmy "anger" stems from the fact that they have used ages to complete it so i was expecting something massive

flame away
    :smug:

2. atigdng

atigdng IncGamers Member

Re: So Diablo 3 game lenght...

Well Mass effect is a 10 or so hour long game, using that as a comparison is rather sad... Also... you are not going to get all the story in just your first play through normal, just like mass effect, there is more story to be seen, this game is going to be massive, the story will be worth the wait, all of your expectations will be satisfied, you are just being impatient and seeing red imo.

Also, this type of game has to be non stop gogo from the start to the end, its an A-RPG, best of the best as well, i am not here for the story, though it is a plus, we are all here for the addictive, godly gameplay.

3. MrRandyMarsh

MrRandyMarsh IncGamers Member

mass effect is longer than 10h if you do all missions

also i am stoked about the game everything looks amazing, im just dissapointed that its not longer than D2

4. WDC

WDC IncGamers Member

The story will be around 20 hours long, and that's perfectly fine considering random events will add a lot more hours on top of that.

5. Diab

Diab IncGamers Member

Well, seeing as how Blizzard (Bashiok?) said it will take weeks-months to get through Inferno, I'm not really sure how you got the 20-hour number. Just because the game may be the same length as D2, it does not mean you will get through it at the same pace and speed.

6. snowcatcher

snowcatcher Banned

If you think that this game is finished after completing normal... it is like, watching the first 5 mins of a movie... no, it is like watching the first 5 sec of a trailer of a movie. Normal is just introductory gameplay, where you get the basics and decide which char you will ultimately play. Nightmare, hell and inferno are 3 different games where the gameplay will change so drastically... let me clarify what i mean by that
    So you picked sorceress right, normal was easy, just pick the highest dps signature spell, spam meteors, blizzards, arcane orbs w/e, no need to worry about escape mechanisms nor any defensive spells.

Once you get on nightmare, you can piss on your 5 damage spells build sorceress. You will need at least 2 defensive skills and escape mechanism like teleport, illusions will be of outmost value as they absorb enemy fire. Meteor and rest of the aoe spells, will be useless in inferno at start, mobs will probably heal so fast that the most efficient way to kill them will be using focus fire, such as laser beam and ray of frost.

Furthermore, the number of players in a party will have great deal of gameplay change. You thought slow time increased attack speed is no big deal in single player ? Think again if you team up with 3 monks or barbs in the fron line...

This game will be huge, and the time it will be played even longer. I would say mastering a character to be able to finish inefrno will probably take a 3 weeks to a month for the most devoted of hardcore players... but the casual player might be stuck on hell for months (and still find it enjoyable btw) :D

Btw <3 ur avatar :D

7. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

For average Joe maybe, but I bet we'll see someone beat Inferno within some 3-5 days. And then we are talking 75-100 hours game time.

8. snowcatcher

snowcatcher Banned

haha, no way, i give minimum of 2.5 mb 3 weeks for the first guy to clear inferno...

9. cozmiccc

cozmiccc IncGamers Member

Well... Comparing a single playthrough of Diablo woth Mass Effect is kinda unfair, first Diablo is an ARPG so you won't spend half the game time in conversation, also with ME pretty much you're supposed to complete the game once or twice, but with Diablo there are 4 difficulty level with progressing items and skills and 5 totally different class, so that's 5x4=20 playthrough easily...

In this case 20-ish hours is the perfect length, imagine having to do it at least 3 more times for all class, you wouldn't want it to get old too fast do you? :p

10. cozmiccc

cozmiccc IncGamers Member

I'll raise... I give the minimum of 1 month before someone clears Inferno :p

11. Eagle

Eagle IncGamers Member

If it takes 20 hours to play through normal fully exploring everything then that's pretty solid for an Action RPG (heavy empahsis on the fact it's an ACTION rpg).

12. skien

skien IncGamers Member

I'll wager we don't. Level 60 within 72 hours of release: maybe, inferno cleared: no chance in hell (pun intended).

13. skien

skien IncGamers Member

... also there are 72hrs in 3 days...

14. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

No way... people will play like crazy to find the fastest way to level, farm and buy the needed weapons and play their brains out to be the first to beat Inferno. People will be decked out in good Inferno gear within 3-5 days, and since getting to lvl 60 will be no trouble at all it is just the items that prevents you from clearing Inferno.

I do not think you have any idéa how well planned some Guilds will be with characters played 24/7 by different people in their Guild.

They will rush to late Hell, be lvl 60 and farm and buy before starting to clear Inferno.

15. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

As soon as we have lvl 60's I add 1-3 more days before Inferno is cleared. Then it is just a matter of items, and people will buy and farm like crazy to beat Inferno.

The action house will drastically reduce the time limit for beating Inferno because it speeds up gearing and "trading".

And the Guilds will have members just managing the trades/bying items while their friends continue to play. So buying/trading will not effect their game time.

I have said max 5 days = 120 hours of game time. We will see if this is enough, I bet it is! :)

16. Crudesash68

Crudesash68 IncGamers Member

Keep in mind that for many players, beating the game on normal will be enough; despite random quests and areas, for many people beating the main storyline is the goal, so if they miss certain events they might see in higher difficulties, it may not matter .

That said, it is possible that some people will find the game too short, but I would imagine that anyone playing this game with enough passion to want length would love it to the point of enjoying the depth of the later difficulties. Time will tell.

17. Eagle

Eagle IncGamers Member

Someone needs to start a "Days till first inferno completion" pool.

18. skien

skien IncGamers Member

...Who are they buying the gear off? 72hrs after release if anyone has actually hit 60, there won't be any gear for them to buy because they will be amongst the first to see hell and inferno drops. Aside from the fact you really have no idea how hard and how long the game will be and neither do we. This game will die in less than 2 months if anyone has cleared all content in the first 5 days. Blizzard will not let this happen, not a hope, it's bad for business.

19. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

No, just see D2. :)

Beating Hell after ladder reset in D2 LoD is done within a couple of days, D2 was even faster. That has not stopped it from being played many years.

20. Diab

Diab IncGamers Member

The difference is that with D2, you were practically forced to complete the content many times if you wanted even a slight change in your character build. That is why D2 was played for many years. This will not be the case in D3, thus measures have to be taken to make the content tough enough that it will take longer to progress through it, to even it out.