Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

SnB Barb looking to try out dual wield.

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Asmodeous, Nov 18, 2012. | Replies: 6 | Views: 2108

1. Asmodeous

Asmodeous IncGamers Member

Ok, I have a decent sword and shield frenzy/rend build and would like to be able to convert to dual wield from time to time.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Asmodeous-1189/hero/3662432

Without the Sword and shield equipped, his vital stats unbuffed are;

STR: 2024
    VIT: 1026
    LIFE: 51,384
    ARMOR: 5,772
    RESIST: 582-640
    CRITS: 38.5%/289%
    LIFE PER SEC: 324
    LIFE PER HIT: 1,077
    LIFE STEAL: 3.0%

equipped his DPS is 90k buffing into the 135k mark.

Ideally when I switch to dual wield, I'd like to switch skills as well, Likely WW/run and similar builds. That way I can solo with either set up and then switch to which ever is best for Ubers or partying with other builds such as CM wizards or tanking for Demon hunters.

So, onto the qustions.

1). What sort of weapon should I look for?
    2). anything else I need to change as well or can I simply switch out the shield for the off hander?
    3). Will it matter hich beat stick goes into which hand?

Atm, all I can think off is a Sun keeper for a bit of extra MF, auto IAS and a socket for some crit goodness. Would like to hear other peoples opinions!
  2. orangeapple

orangeapple IncGamers Member

Hey Asmo, Bug here.

If you want some tips on gear and weapons to get your barb spinning like a boss I'm happy to help you out in game. However, in terms of weapons I'd suggest the following.

In order to get nice and tanky you will need to up your life steal/life on hit. The more the better. With the amount of DPS you are doing (above 60k) I'd suggest going with life steal, around 5% - 8% should do. The main reason is that as your DPS gets higher, life steal is more attractive. I read somewhere that at 80k dps 8% life steal is the equivalent of 2800life on hit. 8% should be easy to hit with a belt, 2 weapon or the passive ability (3%life steal).

Other stats you should be looking for on a weapon (in this order) are; Socket>crit dmg> str> vit>.

For your offhand you wont need to worry too much about the dps on it. Your main ability will be sprint and it will be doing the biggest chunk of your damage. WW does alternate between your main and offhand but you only use WW for additional life steal and further fury generation. Sprint only goes off your main hand damage.

In terms of what type of weapon you should go for really depends on your crit chance. If you are struggling to hit 40%+ crit chance then use a mace/axe for the 10% increase in crit chance. If you are able to reach over 40% then go for a slayer for the increase in fury generation.

Just remember that the DPS number on your character screen is not your effective DPS when playing a whirlwind barb!.

Anyway, something to think about. Feel free to ask me anything in game!
  3. Asmodeous

Thanks for the reply bug. I'll be keeping an eye open in game for appropriate beat sticks!
  4. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

5. Apendecto

Apendecto IncGamers Member

That's got to be the luckiest hellfire ring I've ever seen.
  6. Asmodeous

Ok, im narrowing this down (I think). This combo seems to be working ok for me.

main hand. Sunkeeper mace, 1012 dps, 2.9% life leech, magic find, 1.20 aps, 126 strength but no crit damage. This gives 50% crit chance and while I have no crit damage here, I make up for that with the amulet. life leech totals 5.9%. A bit low but theres some LoH helping as well.

Off hand. Sword, 1206 dps, 1.51 aps, 90% crit damage. yeah, a bit of a waste on the off hand, but it seems to work. This is usually my main hand weapon when using the shield for rend/revenge.

Or

Off hand. Dagger, 718 dps, 1.63 aps, 256 strength, 70% crit damage(socket).

Im not too sure which is better in the off hand. The dagger is self found so it owes myself nothing. Im wondering if I bought another one with better stats like socket, life leech & ias would it work better or should I forget about a dagger for off hand and just use the sword?
  7. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

I recommend the calculator found at http://www.d3rawr.com/d for this kind of in-depth stuff. On the right-hand pull down menus, the "tDPS and Life Gained Per Second" section is about whirlwind+sprint's actual, applied dps.

If the dagger gives you 70% crit damage and has a socket, it is a significantly better option. Otherwise the sword wins, though not by a huge margin.