Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Slightly OT: D3 will close Auction House

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by ziambe, Sep 17, 2013. | Replies: 32 | Views: 2866

1. ziambe

ziambe IncGamers Member

Slightly OT: D3 Auction House will close

The news is out!! I don't know about you guys, but this news hit me like a freight train...A pindleskin train filled with uniques! I think this is a huge step in the right direction and with a couple more all-be-it substantial tweaks like offline play, d3 might one day offer us the endless hours of delight that d2 still does =)
  2. Skjolde

Skjolde IncGamers Site Pal

HUUUUUUGE

This might just get me back into the game!
  3. maxicek

maxicek IncGamers Member

Now all they need is skill points, stat points, FHR, FCR, Crushing Blow, make spells independent of weapon damage, get rid of those stupid "You can't open this gate yet" type maps and they may have a fighting chance of getting up to the standard of D2. Oh they can get rid of the witchdoctor too. And I want to be able to customise the look of my character more. No more geriatric barbarians.

I would have settled for "Guys we screwed up. Here is D2 with better graphics."
  4. BaronScarpia

BaronScarpia IncGamers Member

Blizzard just had to say something on GTA V launch day, I think...

Spells independent of weapon damage - I think it won't happen.

FHR - They designed combat pacing in a way you don't get interrupt often, but you find boss packs abusing crowd control effects that force you to have countermeasures bigger than just having FHR in all fights (cannot be frozen, stunned, etc.). Personally, FHR was something that just made my inventory smaller, so, I mean, isn't as meaningful as the murder of the offensive side (CB, Deadly strike, etc.)

FCR - Actually, the breakpoint system Blizzard used is a little weird. It's all IAS centric, some sort of 2 or 3 step animation, and you have IAS breakpoints for individual skills way more complex than D2. Someone (I don't remember who, a director at a GDC presentation, Wyatt Cheng maybe) said they spend years just fixing that - and judging by the BPs, having IAS and FCR on top of that will take some extra years.

Damage based on the weapon - fear not, your wizard doesn't use an axe to split skulls efficiently (one of the issues of the game, for some people). It's like using a sword or axe as an implement and channeling de damage doing so. (I agree with that, nope. I have sources? Nope, but I think it's possible on some D&D versions - and you even deal weapon damage. Interesting times...).

Judging by the datamined info from expansion pack, that may or may not change (in case you missed):

"You can't open this gate yet" maps - I think there's some kind of adventure mode on the datamined info that allows you to set the last quest on the game and move even between acts, but I'm not sure.

Skill points and stat points - There'll be something called paragon points. You reach max level, then you can start getting the so-called paragon points account-wide (issue, imo, if you play non-ladder, since your new characters will get the points too). They work like a stat points and, why not, passive skills - since some of them can give you bonuses usually found on passive skills, that will be removed, nerfed, changed.

Diablo 2 with better graphics: AoE did it. Gieb. But if you asked me, they are changing this game a lot back into D2. There will be Hammerdins.

Pvp: Moldran (TwitchTV streamer) pointed out that there are PVP related achievements images on the datamined info, so maybe...

"No more geriatric barbarians." - Unnecessary, man... For the rights of old barbs! :p

The removal of AH and the datamined info makes this game promising - or at least a hell lot more promising than it was a week ago, imo. Better than D2? Don't think so. I'll say it's good and it works after it gets good and working. What I can't deny and won't deny is - the game doesn't close every hour or so and the point and click works. :p

Imo, D2 plays faster than D3 (no 30s -1m runs) and that's a big issue. Ok, it's not MOBA slow, but they insist on limitations to make it flawless - and I kinda liked running blazing fast with vigor or shoting more strafe arrows than frames could calculate...

Anyway, it looks like we're getting closer to the "D3 stable version" (as D2 1.09) - I used spoiler tags to hide potential spoilers.
  5. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

I must be one of the only people on Earth who think the GAH was the only thing D3 got right. Unless Blizzard does something spectacular with the Loot 2.0 and allows a huge increase in storage space I go when GAH goes.
  6. ziambe

ziambe IncGamers Member

While I was initially extremely opposed to the AH because I prefer to play self found, I will admit I have grown a little more fond of it. Unfortunately I currently spend more time farming the auction house than looking for items because even though the moment a 'legendary' (still dont like that name, thanks wow) drops is still an adrenaline rush, the odds of it being useable are less than 5%. Nevermind the fact that just about every item is unusable without a specific stat roll. This just results in iding and picking up items as a tedious sidequest. Strangely enough, I get the same, and much more frequent, thrill when I get a good deal on the Auction house. So in the end I am playing a game but it doesn't really involve much leveling, completing a grail, testing new builds or community-based tournaments etc...
  7. jeffy

jeffy IncGamers Member

I'm very surprised at seeing such a 180.
  8. Skjolde

Skjolde IncGamers Site Pal

That 180 just made me reinstall the game.
  9. nulio

nulio IncGamers Member

From what I've read from several players' experience (I only played one week of D3, patch 1.00) I think this was a lazy decision.

The main problem is the loot, not the AH. They could just improve the loot (like they say they are going to do) and set some limitations on the AH (which I'm not going to try and list cause I don't want to make their work for them).
  10. thefranklin

thefranklin IncGamers Member

I am indifferent on this, as I do believe as above the items were the problem. Sadly, I can't easily sell my finds for cash. That was the most important thing for me when they got ladders running, it would be a nice way to make money when you can find items early in a ladder that people do want/need.

On the other side, it did feel like actually playing the game was wasting your time in terms of overall wealth, but then D2 was the same way. You could hang out in the trade channels or forums and would get items you needed or that were worth more than actually playing the game. D2 actually had things to do in the game that made you want to play, and the wealth accumulation difference between playing and trading wasn't that much, and it was easier to get a set of specific gear for high level play in D2 than it is in D3.

I would like to see a system in D3 where things are treated as a commodity, for example (a D2 example) if you found Laying of the Hands, you could sell it to vendor at XX price. If you needed one, you could buy it at XX price provided they were in stock. XX price could fluctuate based on supply and demand, % of Laying of the Hands that were worn vs stashed, etc. Rares could still be AH'd in some way, or you could set up a market for them, or something. Going back to forum trolling for gear will be a huge step backwards, but I bet this will be fixed in some other way outside of an AH. Or fixed by making rares worthless except for specific mods (just like D2, hey!).

^^Maxicek said it best. Playing a KT sin in D3 would be a lot of fun with the fancy graphics, better resolution, etc. Fix the bugs and ubers in SP and I would pay $60 for it. Maybe $120, who knows.

Baron-FHR was a great way to separate good defense from bad defense without just looking at how much life you lost per hit. In D2 there were choices, and a better built character felt better when you recovered from hits faster, or had enough life to not get put into hit recovery. A distinct feeling occured that just wasn't "monster B hit me for less damage than before." Of course the D2 system wasn't perfect, and for a lot of characters it didn't matter, but it did add a level of complexity or choice to how you wanted to build and play your character.
  11. nulio

nulio IncGamers Member

I second that. Correct bugs and add ubers. I'd pay for that. Not $60 unless it had better graphics and/or new class and/or new act/run areas. But I'd pay if that's what it would make them complete the SP experience, correct the several bugs, add items/cube formula missing and do some balancing.
  12. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

1/10 still a terrible game.

I will admit to having logged on to see what was up though.
  13. AnjaS

AnjaS IncGamers Member

I want to see change where one can select if one wants to quest or run. I mean as the game is today when you enter nightmare you don't get quests. All dialogue and lore is already there and the only thing you do is run through the hoops. No RPG aspect remains.

Also achievements should be able to be selectable as player specific or character specific. I want to know what my different characters have achived, not what I have.

One problem I have with the game is that when my character Danwartan (a barbarian) engages an unique monster the message window at left tells that I have engaged the monster. Not so, I'm playing a game and it's my character which I play that has engaged the monster. To extend this: If that monster vanquishes the hero it's the character that dies not me.

Anja
  14. ziambe

ziambe IncGamers Member

I'd definitely pay for that, but I think the people that could/want to fix those are gone =(

Hehe, true I never thought about that!
  15. MYK

MYK Diablo: IncGamers Member

I'm not kicking up my heels until I hear about what Loot 2.0 brings to the table. I can only hope that this was a slip: "Once the gold and real-money auction houses have been shut down, players will still be able to trade with one another using the in-game Trade Window." I don't need another Blizzard game where multiplayer boils down to go to $third_party_site and get ripped off - been there, felt disgusted by that. I'm probably hoping for too much.

Why would you want spells to be independent of weapon damage? I thought this was a single point in D3 where I liked the decision. It leads to a certain genericity in the UI and item selection that's sorely lacking in D2.

Too bad the items themselves are uninspiring. Another play for an expansion to pick up the slack? I'm noticing a trend here. :/
  16. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

Because it leads to wizards and witch doctors running around with skorns!
  17. Grisu

Grisu IncGamers Member

Well, that decision of Blizzard got me by surprise. I don't really know how I feel about it ... I think as a self-found only player I will probably benefit from that decision, because drop rates will probably increase without the AH to take into consideration ... I'll be happy if single-pass untwinked HC will be viable afterwards.

Although I think an Ironborn league with different drop rates would have accomplished the same...

Good point there! I'd like to see that changed, too. Of course, it would be a bit harder to tell who is who, because there could be more Danwartans in one game. But something like "Danwartan [AnjaS] engaged Alot the Unspeakable" would be a way around that... (???)
    Ah, but I so much want to HIT monsters with Skorn as a Wizard instead of spamming spells...I'd like them to introduce a normal attack...now!
  18. MYK

MYK Diablo: IncGamers Member

Does this really happen? That's hilarious.
  19. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

You bet your a.... donkey.
  20. Jocular

Jocular IncGamers Member

Hmmmm, how will this work for in-game trading? In D2 we had a lobby to choose games from, each with their own name detailing what they were doing in it...for D3 it'll be luck of the draw if the people in your game have good loot or not. The AH got around this drawback quite nicely, I wonder if they'll open up a trading channel on b.net through which you can trade items?

I welcome the change, but unless they create a lobby akin to D2's I expect many people will be just as frustrated with the new system as the last. It sounds like they're going to change up the itemization though, so hopefully at least the equipment to trade for will be better.