Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Skill Tree Graphics Assistance

Discussion in 'Fan Creations: Art, Music, Wallpapers, Fiction' started by Flux, Aug 31, 2009. | Replies: 50 | Views: 46260

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

Skill Tree Graphics Assistance

Calling all artists and programmers. We'd like to post images of and interactive, browser-based versions of the skill trees for all of the characters as seen at BlizzCon 2009. Want to help out?

Here's a recreation of the Barb tree, as seen at Blizzcon. This is accurate for the info, dependencies, etc. But I left off the bells and whistles, and it's obviously fairly butt ugly, since I'm no graphic designer. I used this image, and a lot of cut and paste, blur, and duplicated type levels to create the updated version.

[​IMG]

We want to make these for all the characters. I have all the info on skill locations, which skills can have runes socketed, dependencies, color tinting for each section of the tree, etc. I can make the Wiz and WD also, but they just take me a while to make, and they'll be no prettier than this one. Which is why I'm making this post, in case someone who can actually do this sort of thing wants to leap on it.

We'd also like to host some interactive versions, with clickable or at least hoverable buttons. If you are a programmer and that sounds like something you'd be interesting in doing, contact Flux or post in this thread.
  2. ANIKY

ANIKY IncGamers Member

Re: Skill Tree Graphics Assistance

There you go. I got laisy so i didn't add the text on the skills :)
    I really like your website and the news i get on it, so here is my contribution.
    Hope you'll enjoy it

ps: sorry my english is not that good

[​IMG]

If you need a change, or anything else you can ask me on msn : nuages91@hotmail.com (only the admins plz)
  3. Vizcire

Vizcire IncGamers Member

I didn't get the feeling it had to be an exact replica of the Blizz one..?Personally I think it would be best to make it similar, but make a new one from scratch; mostly because that resolution is just sad.
    I will look into this later.

Peace out
  4. acjohnso

acjohnso IncGamers Member

here's a smaller one if you need it. if nobody can add the rollover tooltips, i can do it later.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  5. VioletJoker

VioletJoker IncGamers Member

Here is my first try to create the barbarian skill tree.
    Next i will add the text over cells with the skills.
    [​IMG]

If you happy with the layout let me know and i will continue working on this.

EDIT:
    Now here it is with text over the cells:
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  6. Synchrotron

Synchrotron IncGamers Member

Cool. Now I can make my builds and when Blizzard releases D3 everyone will use my cookie cutter build. =)
  7. Flux

Flux Administrator

it annoys me you guys crank out polished looking ones in probably half the time I spent on the original Fluxenstein's monster version. And yet, they're pretty and useful, so how can I complain? *cough*

I went back and looked more closely at the images we have, so here are some clarifications to improve/add in.

There's one large background image across all 3 trees, faded well into the background and desaturated. (Much less visible than the barbarian image in the most recent official skill tree shot.) This is the WD one.

Each third is tinted a different hue. The barb ones were the same as seen in the official shot. The other chars were thematic; for instance, the WD had swampy green for zombie, light blue/gray for Spirit, and dark orange for Voodoo.

There is a dividing border between each tree, much as VJ put in, but the edges are tinted to the color of that tree's background hue.

The numbers are in 2 columns down the side; not in the main window. Sort of how VioletJoker did them above. But there are little teeth pointing into the trees from those columns, like needles on a speedometer. Larger squares for each 5, 10, 15, etc, and little pointy ones for the 6, 7, 8, 9 numbers in between. (the only #s shown are the multiples of 5)

This doesn't really fit into the image, but there's a red line all the way across the tree between the 5, 10, 15, 20, whichever, showing the next tier of skills. So a level 12 char sees that line between the 15s, showing that they can not yet use the skills below that tier. Below the red line everything (background and skills) the skills are darkened/decolored.
  8. Freeze

Freeze IncGamers Member

Hope this helps or inspires someone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. Windowlicker

Windowlicker IncGamers Member

oh mai, are there more?
  10. Flux

Flux Administrator

heh, well that's easier than me trying to describe it, without violating the press room rules by posting any images. someone else posted the image! I am powerless to stop the dissemination of visual clues!
  11. TheWanderer

TheWanderer IncGamers Member

Hmmm... No arrows for the WD?
  12. TheWanderer

TheWanderer IncGamers Member

:whistling:

13. Flux

Flux Administrator

There are no dependency lines anywhere on the WD tree. Like the tree layouts and total number of skills, I'd bet $0 it remaining that way until release.

And that's a far better quality image than any that I have seen. You can actually tell the colors and see the rune slots (or not). I had to educated guess at rune slots (only a certain type of active skills get them) since I didn't note them at the time.
  14. Freeze

Freeze IncGamers Member

You have to admit, we, the hardcore Diablo 3 fans (which this forum totally is), just deserve to see it. We do.

15. Flux

Flux Administrator

Here are the others. WD, Wiz, and Monk. The WD and Wiz are correct (though you might want to compare the skill rune slots to those in the screen Freeze posted, since I didn't note the rune slots in my notes from the show and have been assigning them by educated guess.)

The monk tree is entirely invented here and now, since I noted the skills and trees and tiers, but didn't record their positions. It doesn't really matter, with just 8 skills and those generic named trees; you know it's all going to change anyway. There were no dependency lines for the Monk. And I have no memory of the color scheme or the background image, so go with whatever you'd like to see.

I suggest you watermark it or at least include your author name on it somewhere. I request that you include Diii.net as well. We went to a lot of trouble to collect this info and create the original versions, and I know you guys are working hard on it; get the credits on it since the final quality images will be pasted into every D3 forum on the internet, w/o attribution.

Monk:
    [​IMG]

Witch Doctor:
    [​IMG]

Wizard: I don't know what the background image is on the wizard. It looks like the Tristram Cathedral, but isn't any of the images yet released. Pick your own, or use this one; it should be good if you just use the top portion.
    [​IMG]
  16. KLS

KLS IncGamers Member

We got same kind of a project at diablo3.net.ua(its russian/ukrainian D3 community), here's barb skill trees calc demo that i made few week's before Blizzcon 2009

http://diablo3.net.ua/calc_en.htm

... till finishing this was hoping to get more info about skills and the new system overall from blizzcon'09, but there wasn't much info and no official hq screenshots about it this time :/

We could make it together! your info and our engine, we didnt have the opportunity to visit Gamescom or Blizzcon this year :/ so we getting most of the info from you guys. We will just create English version and put diii.net logo at the top-right part of the header.(already done in the demo) There will be complete and relatively easy to use CMS created special for our D3 skill's calc. It will support
    • Fully customisable skill trees and skills for every character
    • - active skills (custom active and inactive icons)
    • - passive skills (custom active and inactive icons)
    • - ability to fill data for every rank lvl of the skill
    • - custom background for every skill tree
    • Prerequisite skills(such as Ice armour and Empowered Armor for example)
    • Synergies(its for skills that boost each other effects(dmg, duration...))
    • Dmg types(physical, arcane, fire ...)
    • Runes support(different power lvl's will be supported also)
    • Class male/female avatars can be placed by the sides of the calc (or it can be none of them)

And we can give you complete access for the English version of CMS, so you will only have to fill the data and put the link to it from here. Mail me at kls@diablo3.net.ua if you are interested in this.
  17. wilimye

wilimye IncGamers Member

[​IMG]

here's the monk
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  18. acjohnso

acjohnso IncGamers Member

looks great!

19. ANIKY

ANIKY IncGamers Member

Hello.
    I didn't know the picture i use for base was an old UI skill tree ^^.
    I check on the picture you post, tks for that and for you email Flux.
    I start a new one, still in progress... Cant finish it today sorry :)

[​IMG]

http://img297.imageshack.us/i/talents3copy.jpg/

Hope you will like it
    Ciao

EDIT : damn i just see the image wilimye post, if i had seen this before....... erf... nevermind i'll change it later
  20. VioletJoker

VioletJoker IncGamers Member

Awesome job ANIKY, almost like the original :thumbup:
    If you need any help let me know.

Cheers