Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Skill to Replace Soul Harvest for Uber Runs

Discussion in 'Witch Doctor' started by PhoeniX Skye, Nov 20, 2012. | Replies: 7 | Views: 9654

1. PhoeniX Skye

PhoeniX Skye IncGamers Member

Hi there,

I'm wondering what the best skill is to replace Soul Harvest during Uber runs to add some DPS; I don't feel like the 1/2 stacks during the Kulle fight helps that much, and the adds are rare during the Ghom fight (I usually do Uber runs with at least one Barb friend). We're doing MP6 and I feel like we're on the cusp sometimes of hitting the enrage timer. My current key run build is:

-Splinters/Bears/Big Stinker/Rabid Dogs/Soul to Waste/Jaunt
    -Bad Medicine/Blood Ritual/Jungle Fortitude

I've tried using Haunt with the mana rune, and Grasp. Perhaps Manitou might be good? Maybe one of the Voodoos? But I feel like the cooldown is too long to really add much. What do you guys think?
  2. Ivan E

Ivan E IncGamers Member

My vote would probably be Big Bad Voodoo with either the +damage rune (30%) or the healing rune. While there is a long cooldown, the damage increase is pretty good. But I guess if you're not able to stay stationary then it's not so good, in which case my other guess would be Fetish Army (any of the runes that except the blowdarts and torchers). But that's probably not that great since you don't quite need them to tank for you if you have a friend.
  3. Dogbert

Dogbert IncGamers Member

Poison dart = sucks. you should be spamming bears, if you are using this you are not spamming bears.
    Zombie dogs = sucks. the dps is terrible and they die too fast vs ubers. there are better skills to bring.
    Jungle fortitude = sucks. does nothing to improve bear spam. if you die without this play on a lower mp instead of gimping yourself.
    Bad medicine = sucks. does nothing to improve bear spam. if you die without this play on a lower mp instead of gimping yourself.

Replace poison dart with corpse spiders and the spider queen rune.
    Replace bad medicine passive with vision quest.
    Replace zombie dogs with spirit barrage and the manitou rune.
    Replace soul harvest with hex and the jinx rune.
    Replace jungle fortitude passive with spiritual attunement.
    Replace jaunt with honoured guest.

Now you got yourself a build.
    http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#bfUiTg!bcU!ZcZZYc

Spider queen triggers vision quest for a continuous 30% mana regen. Nice autopilot skill for bear users. Refresh every 15 seconds.
    Combined with spiritual attunement, blood ritual and honoured guest you can pretty much spam bears non stop.
    Manitou is another good autopilot skill for laser bears. Refresh every 20 seconds or at the same time as spider queen.
    Gargantuan is yet another "passive" skill that is doing alright dps and can soak some damage.
    Honoured guest provides additional mana recovery and doubles as a panic button.
    Jinx is there because there isn't really anything better and it's somewhat useful. But this, manitou and the gargantuan are optional skills.

So all in all you have 3 autopilot skills that don't interfer with bears and you have the means to actually get something out of putting bears on your skillbar.

Fetish army, mass confusion and big bad voodoo have too long cooldowns to be worth it imo.
    Big bad voodoo with the rain dance rune gets a honourable mention though because of how well it works with bears.
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  4. VagrantKing

VagrantKing IncGamers Member

Notable mention: Mass Confusion - Paranoia

Pro: Gives 20% AoE damage debuff bundled with minor CC (will help with adds, not the bosses)
    Con: Long CD

With full groups I run with Hex-Jinx, Mass Confusion-Paranoia, BigBadVodoo-Jungle Drums to benefit the party as much as I can. With the passive 'Tribal Rites' to reduce the cooldowns, the long CD periods aren't so bad.
  5. PhoeniX Skye

PhoeniX Skye IncGamers Member

Dogbert:

Yes I do have to move around to survive (especially against Maghda's bugs, and the pets actually really help as they distract from their pathing), but I don't feel like I should lower the MP to a point where I can stand and do bears... especially when we're doing uber runs. It seems more logical to do it at the highest MP possible without dying too much or hitting the enrage timer... don't want to waste all that time used to farm keys.

As it stands, I probably can't even unload a full globe of bears before I have to move in MP5. I've linked my profile for more info (if my WD is naked then my equipment is on my Wiz): http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/PhoeniXSkye-1481/hero/6223612
  6. Galtrovan

Galtrovan IncGamers Member

Uber running requires farming 5 NV stacks. Soul Harvest is great skill for this and probably why it is part of your build. While I would agree Soul Harvest is a bit lack luster during the actual Uber battles, along with a few other skills I personally use, how do you remove the great/efficient skills you used to get the NV stacks for the actual Uber battles where said skills are inefficient or outright worthless?

You cannot really. Efficient Uber battles and efficient farming of NV stacks are pretty much two different builds where, depending on which way you go, you will either have a couple wasted/useless skills during the Uber fight or a couple of wasted skills while farming NV stacks.

Personally, I find the Uber battles completely unchallenging and thus load out for getting NV stacks and don't worry about the fact that Soul Harvest sucks and that Grave Injustice/Gruesome Feast are completely useless during the actual Uber battles. When out farming NV stacks, while I could probably get away with swapping in Vision Quest and Blood Ritual, which would be way more useful during an Uber battle, I'm not going to do it. Gruesome Feast is a huge DPS and Resistance increase, and Grave Injustice is as valuable to a WD as Critical Mass is to a Wizard. Cool downs suck and GI gives me the ability to pretty much use Horrify, Spirit Walk, and even Soul Harvest at will when farming NV stacks. The healing an mana-regen from GI is just gravy.
  7. Dogbert

Dogbert IncGamers Member

This is a pretty good setup as well.
  8. aerial

aerial IncGamers Member

Soul harvest isn't that bad with 60s rune, in two out of 3 ubers, there are minions so you can have full 5 stacks.
    I feel like overall it is better, than for example having hex, that works exclusively vs 1 boss in 1 portal.