Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Skill System

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Kitteh, May 17, 2012. | Replies: 20 | Views: 927

1. Kitteh

Kitteh IncGamers Site Pal

I think that they've designed the game to force you to use a variety of skills. I came up against the act 2 boss (no spoilers), and he was impossible with the skill set up I had, but when I changed to a more 'direct' set of skills, he was a walk in the park :scratchhead:

Thoughts?

2. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

I take a minute to review my skills before each boss fight and make sure that I have set skills that are best for single targets or that work well without targeting.

I have mixed feelings about the skill system. It seems a bit too simplified, but it does have variety. I haven't really played enough (only two classes so far and highest is level 19) to render a verdict.

3. Red Wine Lips

Red Wine Lips IncGamers Member

The skill system does force you to use a variety of skills, but at the end of the day your character will be exactly the same as anyone else's of the same class at the same level (excluding gear). The lack of character customization and development is rather disappointing.

4. Mostly_Harmless

Mostly_Harmless IncGamers Member

Mmm, I think the fact that you're forced to use a variety of skills actually hurts build diversity quite a bit. If there were several different builds which were viable through most of the game, then you could customize your gear around that particular set of skills. As it stands, I suspect that most people will just try to stack as much damage stat/vitality/magic find/whatever else ends up being important as possible and switch skills as necessary.

Disclaimer: I'm only in Act III Normal so far, so it's possible that I'm completely wrong. These are just my opinions from a game design theory perspective. I'm also having a blast playing the game so far, so don't take this as too harsh a criticism.

5. ziambe

ziambe IncGamers Member

You guys are aware of 'elective mode' right? This will allow you to use multiple skills from the same 'tree.' (i.e. a barb can use both leap and spear, or earthquake and call of the ancients) 'Lack of character customization' is a gross mis-statement...

6. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

It's a different game, and until we get more experience with it, I'm on the fence as to which is better. They might end up so different that they're incomparable. I'm not even out of act I yet, playing each class in parallel. But I see already that the skills granted tend to oscilate between "boss mode" and "croud mode". It's not rocket science to decide which mode to be in.

7. spearv

spearv IncGamers Member

I wrote in the Wednesdaily that I had to switch skills to beat a couple of bosses (NM Diablo, Hell A1 boss), not my entire setup, but a few choice things for fights that I know are going to be really long.

In the long run I hope to change many of my skills, right now choices are being dictated by the fact that I feel undergeared and I'm living by the skin of my teeth. I think that's *part* of the reason that easy respeccing exists in D3 and was put into D2, it is about being able to use class skills in order to progress, even if they're not what you're going to use end-game.

Does this system equate to something like a load-out in an FPS?

8. Drizzy

Drizzy IncGamers Member

Well, it's suggested that you balance your single target and aoe damage with your survivability. Which skill setup you take for this is up to you. With elective mode, there are quite few viable builds, or has been so far for me at least. I'm at NM act 3 though so don't know if things will tighten at later levels of the game.

9. Mostly_Harmless

Mostly_Harmless IncGamers Member

I actually hadn't noticed elective mode. Thanks for pointing it out! My Demon Hunter is much happier now. Maybe this will help.

10. Red Wine Lips

Red Wine Lips IncGamers Member

I guess I was a little bit harsh but what I meant was there are no skill points or attribute points to be placed when you level up. At level 60, every monk (for example) will have access to every monk skill, and will all have the same base attribute points. Or at least that's how I think it works. I guess it just dampens replayability for me a little bit. I'll only ever need 1 monk for anything a monk can do, or 1 wizard for anything a wizard can do (provided I have different sets of gear).

11. Pijus

Pijus IncGamers Member

Yeah, the skills system doesn't feel very interesting to me. You basically unlock certain skills at certain levels, and abit later on you start unlocking runes. Since every rune is specific, it's like you're unlocking a whole new skills. And sometimes the runes don't even do anything interesting, they just increase the base skill by a bit. It feels like a very linear progression.

12. SnickerSnack

I find myself using runed skills that are not the highest level available in order to combine two or more skills for greater effectiveness. The monk has several skill combos that work very well and each play a bit differently - same goes for the wizard.

It does seem too simplified, but the skills system is growing on me. The progression is sort of linear, but if you only ever level one of each class (or two if you do SC and HC), then what does it matter?*** The levelling process doesn't need to be very varied, what's more important is that there are lots of workable skill combos at every level, and I find that there are.

Maybe something in the back of your head keeps nagging: "this is going to suck leveling every time I want to try a new build." Just remember that you don't need to.

*** Of course,this is not very helpful for tournaments unless you make some rules about changing skills.

13. Jason Maher

Jason Maher IncGamers Member

I don't consider Diablo 3 to be a true RPG. Part of what makes an rpg is the ability to customise your skills an attributes and create completely different characters with different choices. I see Diablo 3 as being more of an action-adventure game, with item grinding thrown in.

14. SnickerSnack

I don't think any of the diablo games were ever considered pure rpgs. They were always action-rpgs.

15. BaronScarpia

BaronScarpia IncGamers Member

I had the same experience of kitteh, on the same place. It turns out Mr. Barb has 1 skill set for MP, 1 skill set for act 2 boss (aka - spot damage + survive) and 1 skill set for SP.

Based on that, I consider D3 an action game with RPG elements (imo the story is more complex, characters are more deep, etc, making it more rpg-ish than diablo 1/2 - that's not exactly good for the 10 years replayability) and tactical elements (the change build to kill X thing after you die) if you play SP. On SP, normal is fun, on MP normal is just plain easy (pick cookie cutter skills and go).

16. Jason Maher

Well aware of that. The action bit was what made it so good. Now they've removed the RPG bit of it, for mine. Perhaps my issue is simply that I've spent so long playing D2, that any departure from that tried and true path is hard to come to grips with.

One thing I did love about the first two games was the ability to make non-standard builds. Every character could use (virtually) every item type, so you could create a Rogue that fought up close and personal in D1, or a melee Sorceress in D2, or a Bowbarian, or lots of other zany ideas. Imagine my horror when I picked up an axe in D3 and discovered that it could not be used by a Demon Hunter. Say what?! It's like the game designers have decided what the cookie cutters are, and won't let us play anything else.

I like the game (the bit of it I've covered thus far - basically the beta content), and the lore behind the series always has intrigued me, so it'll get a few play throughs. But in 10 years time I suspect I'll still be playing D2 but will have long since stopped playing D3.

17. SnickerSnack

I think this is at the root of many complaints about d3 and it is definitely the cause of most (but not all) of my complaints. I think there are a few things that really made d2 great but were removed in d3.

I agree. I'm not sure what you mean "could not be used by a Demon Hunter", but your dh probably couldn't use that axe due to the str requirement, and you can stack str with armor. It will still be possible to use nonstandard weapons. My wizard used swords and axes for a while.

18. Jason Maher

Perhaps I misinterpreted the text. I'm sure it said "cannot be used by your class" or some such.

19. SnickerSnack

It must have been a barbarian only weapon.

20. Sigh

Sigh Wizard Moderator

I used the same build up until the boss of act 2, at which point I realized Cleave/Whirlwind wasn't cutting it. Been using Frenzy ever since, and although the single target attacking sucks against mobs, the real problem lies in Champions/elite packs, where Frenzy is superior anyway.