Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Skill switching will be common usage during endgame.

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Chaosmage, Apr 23, 2012. | Replies: 59 | Views: 4814

1. Chaosmage

Chaosmage IncGamers Member

Skill switching will be common usage during endgame.

Since it is possible to change skills during any point in the game people will use it. You will essentially use all skills you get a benefit from your equipment for.

The first third party apps will be key macros to do this without the mouse. At some point Blizzard will probably supply those with a patch.
  2. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

Re: Skill switching will be common usage during endgame.

There's a mechanic called 'Nephalem Valour' which kicks in once you're level 60. At that point, whenever you defeat a champion/elite pack of monsters, you gain a stack of Nephalem Valour which increases your magic find. It's not confirmed how high this stacks up yet, or how large the bonus is. You also lose all your Nephalem Valour stacks if you change any skill or rune.

Since people generally like finding powerful items, it is Blizzard's hope that this will be a suitable deterrent to players changing skills all the time, and that they'll have to use balanced builds. I'm sure that they're still tuning it to make sure that the bonus is attractive enough that hardcore (not the game mode) players won't ignore it.
  3. ShadoutMapes

ShadoutMapes IncGamers Member

You are probably right Chaos. From what little we know of Nephalem Valor it does not sound like Blizzard will make it strong enough to serve its purpose.
  4. Deckard Cain

Deckard Cain IncGamers Member

More troll or honest opinion?

Sorry to start it off that way but this has been brought up so many times so recently....

Blizzard is going to deter us from constant respecs with the nephalem valor buff. Sure, if you find a piece of gear then you can change your build, or if you start a new game you may think about changing your build. However, they are strongly deterring against changing builds mid fight or right before a boss fight.

5. cozmiccc

cozmiccc IncGamers Member

I don't understand your macro theory either.... Blizzard has make sure that aside from pressing 'S' to the skill interface, all skill allocation can't be done by keyboard, you have to click them individually, so how do you macro that?

If you really want to macro the mouse movement to be really precise, might as well save the trouble and do it yourself.

Also, above normal difficulty, skill cooldown will be way longer than 5 seconds, so changing skill will require you enough safe time like casting town portal.
  6. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

i still wish bliz would force in town skill changes. if it ever becomes an issue i am sure bliz will make it that way in the future
  7. Dudzy

Dudzy IncGamers Site Pal

I agree, would be just enough to keep people from switching on the fly all them time.

8. Neinball

Neinball <a href="payments.php">IncGamers Site Pal</a> and<

When it was like that in beta it was far more annoying then anything. When you leveled up and got a new skill you'd have to stop and run back to town. It was also very unintuitive for those new to the game or new to gaming in general, I'd rather have the 30sec cd back then no-cd and have to be in town.

9. BellaStrega

BellaStrega IncGamers Member

I think people are just plain too concerned about this as a potential problem. It seems more like concerns in search of a problem to complain about.
  10. Deckard Cain

Deckard Cain IncGamers Member

I think people are mainly concerned about the switching in and out of combat to suit the needs of the specific fight. I think this type of play is pretty lame, and I wouldn't find it very enjoyable. If this was how the end game was played I would be pretty disappointed because I would feel at a disadvantage if I didn't switch, and there would be absolutely 0 build permanence.

The Neph Valor sounds to be enough of a reason to not constantly swap once you hit 60. If you want to swap your skills in and out based on the fight (before level 60), I don't see why anyone should care.

11. cozmiccc

cozmiccc IncGamers Member

Yeah, this is probably a non-issue or really minor. Blizzard said that from their internal testing, even given the ultimate flexibility to change on the fly, their testers tend to not change their build and prefer to keep the 'flavor' of their current character. I can see this happening and most people wouldn't change their skills all the time once the novelty of 'freespecs' wear off...
  12. Neinball

Neinball <a href="payments.php">IncGamers Site Pal</a> and<

The valor system was a very good compromise imo. It lets those who want to min/max every pull go for it but rewards those balanced builds with increased loot and gold.
  13. capnlarge

capnlarge IncGamers Member

Honestly, most people will just use like 2 skills. I doubt people will switch that often.
  14. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

One extra item from bosses per Elite kills doesn't sound good enough? :)

That wouldn't really solve anything really. That's almost the same as the current 5 seconds cooldown in Normal, since that's the cast time of Town Portal. Sure, that wouldn't allow you to switch in combat, but I doubt we'll be doing that starting from Nightmare anyway.

15. TarnishedHope

TarnishedHope IncGamers Member

This.

I think they should introduce a debuff to discourage on-the-fly reskill.

I doubt it. It's not really an issue that would warrant a fix, as least from developer perspective.

Not to mention it'll piss off a good number of players if they change it post-launch.

16. Dudzy

Dudzy IncGamers Site Pal

This would just tick people off in MP games i think, and i feal that in the early levels skill swapping is warranted to figure out what you like. What if it was like it is now up until you hit level 60 and after that you could only change skills once a day?

17. Doppel

Doppel Banned

Nah man, i'm already skill switching all the time in beta, and that's considering a poor selection of useful skills and piss easy gameplay. Imagine what it will be like when things get rough? Everyone except noobs will be exploiting it because it's the most optimal way to play the game.

18. RazeBarb

RazeBarb IncGamers Member

I like how we can change the skills any time.
    I'm not 100% sure if I like the rune system how it is, though. Still think that runes should be items you can collect and improve.
  19. Sky Tan

Sky Tan IncGamers Member

Thou abolished still like the old system then this lvl up and get ur skills system.

Well, i believe Blizz could easily make it into the system/story at X lvls u need to do something to re-skill.

Thereafter, using the salvaged items from the balcksmith a NPC, can craft RUNES using these and probably a it of other things and of course gold. THe higher lvl more expensive. So essentially u need carry at most ur stash will only use 5-6 runes space.

And u just carry these runes in your inventory if u want to change on the fly, still it comes with cooldown.

Cos reskill now looks too Cheap.

~~~~~~~

Anyone feels that the lvl :XX on the top right of the UI looks ..lol? Very unnoticed.
    While when u lvl up they gave u the holy glow...then in the UI u barely can find it?

Open BETAing for the pass few days only, my 2 cents.

20. Chaosmage

Chaosmage IncGamers Member

I didn't know about that Valor System, I wouldn't have posted this thread if I would have. Sorry if OP came up like I would be trolling.

However the issue remains during the leveling phase if that really is going to kick in at level 60 only.
    I still think that skill switching should cost something. Because of above issue with leveling characters and because people who don't care about finding equipment (excessive RMAH users for ex) could use it as an advantage then.

If it were after me it would just cost one character level. (I know this will be largely unpopular though)