Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Skill advice

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Elytius, Sep 2, 2013. | Replies: 4 | Views: 1903

1. Elytius

Elytius IncGamers Member

Heya, I've been leveling a paladin in D2, I'm an aspiring hammerdin. At the moment, I have a good bit of hp and mana leech items as well as some mana regen stuff. I use the regular attack on left click, and blessed hammer on right click. I want to use concentration as you're supposed to, but my blessed hammer doesn't do the trick for health and mana leech at all. I'm annoyed that I can't just pop the aura then switch, but I have to have it actively on the bar for it to work, any advice?

2. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

Why use leech items on a hammerdin?

Get lots of hp, and get a merc with a nice Insight runeword.
    Most hammerdins build focus mainly on high life and 75% block, with Holy Shield.

Have Blessed Hammer set as left-click, and Concentration on the right action button.

Skip the leech items, and get your resists maxed, higher life, and try get some damage reduction %. (shako/ber rune/verdungo etc)

EDIT: Heres a guide I found in the Paladin forums:
    http://web.archive.org/web/20070829080610/strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=502

3. Elytius

Elytius IncGamers Member

It's just a temporary thing really, but I do like leech items as I don't like having to use mana potions. I'm only level 24 at the moment. But thanks, I'll check that guide out!

4. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

Alright!

At the early levels, using normal attacks is just.. normal.

I usually build my Paladin as a 1point Zealer using Concentration, and respecc him once he can run Hell Baal.

5. UntwinkedPatriarch

UntwinkedPatriarch IncGamers Member

What's wrong with using potions? I found that the dropped often enough for me to not have to go to town too often. And that was without RWM or Insight.

Even when you do have to return to town, switch to Vigor and your shopping will pass by quickly. I usually just do the following TP, Vigor, Shift + Right Click, Fill inventory with blues, Hammer monsters.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

With a Hammerdin, you'll be levelling so quickly that sooner rather than later mana won't be an issue.

Another bit of advice is you can alternate points between Concentration and Blessed Hammer, so that you can still increase BH's damage (as well as your merc's) without having its mana cost increase too much. There is no scientific ratio that's ideal, but you just have sense when it's best to lay off levelling BH, based on what +mana charms / equipment you've picked up, and put a point in Concentration whenever you feel BH's mana cost is getting too steep.

Edit: TL;DR: Blue Koolaid drops often enough, or leveling skills vs synergies is sometimes an art.