Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Skellie/fishy-mancer weapons

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Psymayn, May 26, 2013. | Replies: 19 | Views: 8419

1. Psymayn

Psymayn IncGamers Member

The fishymancer guide: http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?349093-Fishymancer-Version-2-1 advices one to use arm of king leoric for main weapon and beast for switch and mentions only homuncolus for shield.
    The way i read it is that arm of king leoric is only used when summoning and beast is the weapon to wear most of the time - with this is in mind wouldn't it be cheaper and just as good to use a spirit shield instead of homuncolus with arm of king leoric and wouldnt it be even better using a shrunken head with +summoning skills and +skellies and +skellie mastery?

Thanks in advance!

- Psymayn
  2. zaphodbrx

zaphodbrx IncGamers Member

That guide is primarily for un-twinked or medium gear hardcore players. It isn't very accurate for a high end character.

Homonculus is okay. Personally I don't use it. Spirit monarch > all, and you don't need blocking.
    With magefist/trang gloves, arachs, 35' spirit you get 75 fcr which is a big help, and enables you to fill in the rest of the slots with non fcr gear, ie. shako, enigma, mara's, 2 SOJs.

Main weapon is always beast for obvious reasons. Again, leoric isn't needed on switch. Call to arms is much better. The shield for the switch can be a spirit or lidless wall or some magic shrunken head with +skills as you mentioned. I use Splendor in a +3 RS/+1 SM head. Again it doesn't really matter if your skellies are lvl 40 or 45. At high gear, this build isn't about them, it's about merc and CE, skeletons are just there to tank.
  3. Psymayn

Psymayn IncGamers Member

Thanks for the answer! Would the ultimate merc setup be might merc with pride then?
  4. zaphodbrx

zaphodbrx IncGamers Member

Nope. You need your merc to do damage, and pride doesn't have any.

My setup is eth botd warpike, G-face (cham), ebug fort. I know many people prefer infinity but I'm not one of them.
    Eth insight CV is cheap and quite effective.
  5. logoutzero

logoutzero IncGamers Member

This. You can get the merc swinging for 2 or 3k average damage, with Amplify Damage, is more than enough to start the corpse chain. I have Guardian'd several of these characters with nothing more than a starter 'Insight' stick. Make the CV/CA/pick your favorite/first Ethereal Elite 4os Polearm when you find it. All other gear is just there for survival/comfort.
  6. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

yeah, the damage of a necro's merc is more devastating than the rest of the minions put together so her eally deserves the attention
  7. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

While I agree that Breath of the Dying is probably the best thing for a summoning necromancer's merc, I'll note that I've also used Obedience and it works nicely. Definitely better than Insight or Pride. I might even prefer it to Infinity (depends how highly one regards the Conviction aura).
  8. Axamas

Axamas IncGamers Member

Yes, I confirm that Obedience is a cheap start (runes and base) for your merc and an efficient one, before you can make a BOTD.
  9. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop IncGamers Site Pal

Hoto and homunculus is the best setup in my opinion. Beast is a waste.

Infinity is the best possible merc weapon, but for general magic find, insight is the most efficient in my experience.
  10. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

Carin Shard for life man. Hip and powerful all in one.
    Truly the Shako of weapons.
  11. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

I'll admit it: I never saw the reason for all the hating on Arm of King Leoric. It gives +skills. Summoners really like +skills. It's good. I found one with my first paladin or druid or something a long, long time ago, and gave it to my first summoner to complete Hell, using it pretty much without a switch the whole time. I did later try Beast on the switch, and kept it mainly because it's a good option for killing bosses faster by having the necro join in the melee. I really think if I wanted to do another summoner some day (I like them, but they're extremely reliant on Corpse Explosion to avoid falling asleep in Hell), I'd still go with Arm of King Leoric.
  12. Talionis

Talionis IncGamers Member

Fleshripper has 25% Crushing Blow and you can get a little to hit bonus from Poison Dagger. Gull Dagger is 100% Magic Find. Both are very findable
  13. Goldtru

Goldtru IncGamers Member

I have probably a very silly question - according to the web, the Insight runeword is only available on the ladder. Is this true?
  14. Dagaz

Dagaz IncGamers Member

Yes, but for SP you can use RWM.
  15. Goldtru

Goldtru IncGamers Member

And RWM would be .... ?
  16. Goldtru

Goldtru IncGamers Member

I need some help picking a weapon for my merc. (I've been playing for only a couple of months and I have a math phobia, so please be kind ... )

I have access to the following polearms. I won't give you all the specs for them as you probably know them, but I can if you want them:

Bardiche, 1-27 with 3 os
    Bramble Pod 18-45 has life leech
    Demon Spike 23-50
    Dread Impaler 21-49
    Ghoul Gutter 13-30
    Poleaxe, ethereal 27-58
    The Battlebranch 30-65
    Viper Bite 34-82
    Voulge 6-21 with 4 os
    Bitter Fang Poleaxe 51-109

I just started hell and it's not going well ... merc in particular is dying too much.

:)
  17. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

Runeword mod. It's a pretty popular way to get the ladder-only runewords for single-player. All the cool kids are doing it. Insight is one of those runewords.

Some of those are names for "rare" weapons. Someone else probably knows more details about those, but my understanding is that they're pretty variable. Just knowing the names probably doesn't tell anyone which is best.
  18. Goldtru

Goldtru IncGamers Member

I guess I should reframe the question. Is the damage point more important than, for example, life leech? If an item has 4% life leech but low damage, does that make it more desirable than an item with high damage and no leech?
  19. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

If you're having problems with your merc dying, you're probably going to want your merc to have some source of life leech. It doesn't have to come from the weapon necessarily (for example, you could get it from a Vampire Gaze helm), although that's the most likely source. Attack rate is another important consideration.
  20. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

For most chars having some sort of life leech is the top priority along with resists. But for necros if your lad has comrades to help him share the blows, then raw DPS is more important so just dmg and attack speed is more important.