Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Single Target Skill Analysis

Discussion in 'Demon Hunter' started by papuusa, Feb 22, 2012. | Replies: 14 | Views: 4165

1. papuusa

papuusa IncGamers Member

I have been looking at a lot of builds and seeing Impale used as the default "single target killing" skill. I wondered...are there any other options? After a very basic look through the skill tree I looked at the following skills for single target damage: Impale, Rapid Fire, Strafe, and Bola Shot. Hungering and elemental are based more on pierce damage than single target, so I ignored those.

For Rapid Fire I'll show attack rates of 1.4 shot per second and 1.6 shots per second (basic dual wield and single wield attack rates).
  2. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

Re: Single Target Skill Analysis

How can strafe be good for single target? And if it is, it kind of goes against the nature of the skill? Strafe = different kind of multi-shot? Or am I stuck in D2 thinking?
  3. nicro tower

nicro tower Diablo: IncGamers Member

Hungering Arrow can actually pierce a target more than once. Kinda like 1.09 GA.
  4. snurrfint

snurrfint IncGamers Member

I think you'll better look at it in categories.

1. Best single target hatred generator.
    2. Best single target hatred spender.

There is no way in hell that the generators will do more dmg than the spenders (if blizzard balance it right), but spenders have the disadvantage of you eventually running out of resources and must rely on generators to do the dmg to single targets anyway.

1. As someone said, hungering arrow does pierce the same target more than once making it the perfect single target generator. Evasive fire with crimson is pretty decent too but have the advantage of being easier to focus on a single target when there is more than one enemy on the screen.

So the best single target generator is definitely hungering arrow, when there is only one enemy on the screen, and evasive fire when there is more than one enemy on the screen.

2. As for spenders i think you don't really have an option but to take Impale with Grievous Wounds or Liquid Flame. Cluster arrow with crimson is pretty good to but costs the double amount of hatred.

But of course you don't have to take Impale as you main single target killer. I think that most abilities you mentioned would work just fine and maybe make you more versatile than if you go strictly for most single target dmg possible.
  5. yovargas

yovargas IncGamers Member

I expect Impale to get dramatically buffed at some point. Right now it does the same damage as Arcane Orb but only to a single target and isn't much cheaper. And considering HA's double-pierce potential, it's often not that much stronger single target than the hatred generator. It's clearly off, in my view.
  6. Fuzion

Fuzion IncGamers Member

I expect Impale to be a skill you throw in for good damage, that has the potential to do amazing damage. With the 100% bonus damage on crit, on top of 250% weapon damage already I expect Impale to be a real hard hitter once Demon Hunters start building up damage and crit chance.

7. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

I think the number of Strafe hits against a target increases as you have less and less target on the screen, so against solitary targets it shouldn't be bad at all.

If you look at both the Wizard's and DH's resource pools, AO costs ~1.75 times as many resource as Impale (100 / 35 vs. 125 / 25) and Impale does about 1.4 times the damage. Resource regen favors AO though. Impale's projectile is also much faster, so it's better suited to bring down specific and/or fast moving targets. I think in the secondary slot Rapid Fire is the true opponent of AO.

HA has ~12% or 25% (even less if you consider crits) chance with the PA rune of doing more damage than Impale against a solitary target. When you have 2 enemies on your screen, then HA may not hit your primary target even once, so it's absolutely rubbish at picking off specific targets.

What I'm saying is that HA looks good on paper, but in practice it's hardly the be all end all generator for DHs, even against single targets and it doesn't hold a candle to spenders. It's fun to spam it from behind a corner though. :)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  8. yovargas

My post was written before AO got nerfed. :p Still wish Impale was a bit more interesting though. Currently its "25 cost for single-target 250% dmg" is so dull. I'd spice up the base skill a bit like so:

20 cost
    200% dmg
    40% chance to knockback
    +10% chance to crit

^A much more interesting skill, IMO.

I assume you meant HA?

9. Karpalo

Karpalo IncGamers Member

It still would look like Ballistic Strafe is spender numero uno, even now when ballistics was nerffed down to 50% effect.

From generators hungering arrow seems like the way to go, but i'm curious if the 50% weapond damage bone blast rune damages the original target as well? That might be best rune if you can get high enough critical strike chance, and perhaps some crit damage modifiers.
  10. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

Oh, sorry. I didn't check the dates. :)

Yep, fixed it in my post.

11. Beads

Beads IncGamers Member

Impale has the potential to do 900% weapon damage on crits, and 562% weapon damage non crits depending on your passives and rune, so, it's probably the best single target in the game, and definitely does not need a buff

900% with sharpshooter that is, and a possible 1035% if you replaced that with cull of the weak
  12. Karpalo

Karpalo IncGamers Member

Mind opening math behind that a bit?
  13. Beads

Beads IncGamers Member

Impale with grievous wounds + base 50% crit damage and the archery passive for 50% crit damage with crossbows, you got 200% crit damage, so that's 750% weapon damage. add the steady aim passive (20% increased damage if no enemy is within 10 yards of you), you come to 900, now, this build would probably benefit most from the sharpshooter passive, but you can also add in cull of the weak for another 15% damage against slowed targets, so it can get relatively high

to get to 562%, you take chemical burn instead, and get all the passives that increase damage, including archery while using a bow (15% increased damage). So, 375% for impale with chemical burn, + 50% from passives

14. Karpalo

Karpalo IncGamers Member

Ah you added passives into that already.
  15. yovargas

My idea for the change wasn't so much to buff it as to make it a bit more interesting. Thus the lowering of the dmg rate while adding a couple other useful attributes.

That said, it's not really as hugely powerful as you make it sound because, well, everybody has +dmg and +crit runes/passives so singling out big potencial damage bonuses to Impale isn't a fair comparison.