Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Since when was Diablo a mesh between DBZ/Starwars

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by ManOluck, May 9, 2012. | Replies: 30 | Views: 2418

1. ManOluck

ManOluck IncGamers Member

Just saying....

I'm really worried about the lore. Anyone who has played SC2 knows it was a complete bastardization of the franchise. With the New Blizzard all about Style over substance I fear the worst.

P.S: Tyreals new voice made me cringe. The lines were incredibly cheesy ( the word Brother over used like Cowboy from SC2, my trap.... is sprung) Really... The series is turning from a really cool medival/gothic story to Spawn V2.)

Anyway I hope the game is good because I have no faith in the story/lore, Chris Metzen was at least kept in check back in the early 2000's but now it seems all the talent has left the company (in terms of story development) .

Also, there was nothing wrong with Tyreals original voice , just like there was nothing wrong with Kerrigans voice in SC1. In fact the voice acting was years ahead of what we have now. Hell the latest interview with Jay saying they wanted a famous hollywood actor is just ..... I will take talent over vanity anyday(If a bum off the street has the talent I would take it over a famous actor. )

I mean just look at the Diablo Beta. That Aba Hazil whatever his name is sounds incredibly cheesy and slapstick (I BEAT HIM OFF WITH A SHOE ANOTHER MAN WOULD FAIR MUCH WORSE)

Compare that to Paul Eiding (voice of Aldaris in SC1 and the Diablo 1/2 Voice behind the books) He gave a creepy vibe not some rediculas slapstick garbage.

I hope blizzard pulls something great but I have no faith after what they did to Starcraft.

/rant
  2. Wildmoon

Wildmoon IncGamers Member

ummm I enjoy SC2 story as much as SC1. Every game I have played from Blizzard have quite cheesy dialouge anyway( Ahh fresh meat).
  3. RazeBarb

RazeBarb IncGamers Member

Its funny to see people saying "Blizzard has no talent" when they clearly do and the haters most likely don't.
    Stopped reading right there.
  4. buddah

buddah IncGamers Member

I agree it's heading downhill fast SC2 was almost so bad it was good but didn't quite get there unfortunately. Essentially what is happening is that their stories and dialogues are a collage of the biggest cliches you can find in hollywood and other popular media, and they don't even attempt to conceal them into a coherent, faintly original derivate. Most of the time you can point out from where a certain element was directly copied from.
  5. Srikandi

Srikandi IncGamers Member

The dialog in the Diablo series has always been over-the-top and cheesy. This is not a change :p

And, frankly, I have no problem with it in a series whose theme is the battle between... GOOD and EEEEEEvil ;) Which is an over-the-top and cheesy premise to begin with.

As for the lore, D3 does a fantastic job presenting it and integrating it with gameplay... far better than any other ARPG I have played (which is virtually all of them). The way books and journals and critter descriptions are fed to you in voiceover without interrupting the flow of combat means most players are actually going to pay attention to it, as opposed to other games of the genre where you have to pause the action to read in-game books or bestiary entries, and practically everybody will simply ignore it.
  6. FunMachine

FunMachine IncGamers Member

Wow.. I thought i was the only one who really did not enjoy the Sc2 story. What happened to all the backstabbings, suicides and sacrifice of innocent marines?

Samir duran was 100 times cooler than any character introduced on sc2. It was just Way over the top.
    I will bet allmost anything as brutal in D3 as the last cinematic in d1.

Sorry for any missspelling, had to write from my iphone.
  7. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

I like anime so I really liked this video as well. It doesn't really fit the Diablo games, I agree, but it was really cool and interesting to see a different artistic interpretation of the world. I'd like to see more.

It's interesting how different is people's view of the world of Diablo. For me, the main appeal of Diablo is that the Eternal Conflict is not between a clearly good and bad side, at least not if you ask me. As a human, I can identify most easily with the humans of Sanctuary (the Nephalem if you will) and from their point of view neither the High Heavens nor the Burning Hells seem very appealing. Through many fictional stories we were "conditioned" to believe that angels are good and demons are evil, however things aren't that simple in the case of the world of Diablo if you look closer. Here the battle is between order and chaos and that's really a gray area. Just look at how the two sides view humanity. Both sides see them as an abomination. The demons want to control them, while the angels would have been happy to eradicate them all if not for Tyrael. Which side would you call good? The core of the universe of Diablo is the Eternal Conflict, which is a bloody war and I don't think there are clear good and bad sides to any war.

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  8. Azzure

Azzure IncGamers Member

Old games always appear to have more mystery and have that "uniqueness" vibe going on. It's because story-telling was less pronounced and subtle under older titles because they generally had less development and resources associated with story-telling. Its just a change with the times.

We are desensitized to story-telling aspects which make every appear to be bland and cheesy. That includes the developers who are creating the story.
  9. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

I think most of that comes down to the fact, that with those games you had to imagine everything the game didn't tell you, which was often a lot. Stories created by your imagination are the best kind if you ask me. Going back to play classic games I was often surprised how simplistic and cliched their stories actually were, even for their own time. Being younger when I played those games the first time probably has something to do with this as well. Young people seem to be generally more creative and imaginative than adults.

10. Scorch Hellfire

Scorch Hellfire IncGamers Member

Pretty much this... A lot of it has to do with us being introduced to the older Blizzard games when we were young and young minds are not experienced in the things of this world. Thus, they think things that are actually cheesy/campy/cliche are all sorts of epic and awesome. If you go back and watch the cartoons and movies and play the video games of the 80's and 90's (as awesome as they all were) you will realize how corny and mediocre they all were compared to the true classics.

This even happens with stuff made by the same company over many years. People nowadays really let nostalgia get the better of them, especially with Blizzard. News flash: BLIZZARD HAS ALWAYS HAD CHEESY, OVER-THE-TOP WRITING.

Have you forgotten that Metzen has been with Blizzard since Warcraft 1 and writing for them starting at Warcraft 2? He has majorly contributed to the story lines of all of their games since then, including the ones you look back on so lovingly now, and he has always brought influence from the stuff he likes (which includes all the usual fantasy/sci-fi nerd fare) so it's not hard to find recycled plot devices from other franchises in every Blizzard game. Fact of the matter is, those franchises stole their story elements from other things that came before them...

Also, I hate to burst your bubble, but people do not really say deep/profound/cool/subtle things all the time (or hardly ever) in real life. Accepting this fact will make you much more open to different offerings of entertainment. If anything, Blizzard is being more honest with their characters as none of them are really omniscient or whatever, and thus, have imperfect thoughts and speech just like real people. They have certainly had their moments of more epic scenes and lines, but, for the most part, they have always been kind of knee-to-waste-deep with their lore and dialogue... Get used to it.

11. Davidus

Davidus IncGamers Member

12. DiabloBaal

DiabloBaal IncGamers Member

to say that voice acting and lore are bad in D3, I would disagree, Though they are not on the same level as games like Legacy of Kain, voice acting is pretty good, for one thing, I love the male barbarian voice. As for the ...uh...cheesyness (is that a word) of lore, I agree it is slightly over the top.

I mean they had to call the Cemetery "Cemetery of the FORSAKEN"...... seriously what's wrong with just calling it the 'Graveyard'?
  13. yovargas

yovargas IncGamers Member

I fully expect lots of corny moments in D3 (eg. every Leoric line in the beta) but I was surprised to see so many complaints about the Wrath video. While not Shakespeare, for a little short mainly there to introduce you to a few characters, I found it effectively simple and solid.
  14. mr punk

mr punk IncGamers Member

true, the emphasis was more on gameplay rather than narrative because of hardware limitations.

this is what happens when you have designers thinking video games should be more. you get players who are more concerned with narrative, graphics and win buttons.

15. Flumthree

Flumthree IncGamers Member

It's always hard to realize that one's childhood as already slipped away without notice.
    Now quit beetchin' and start killin'.
    Enjoy !

Edit : learn to criticize constructively (as not in "Anyone who has played SC2 knows it was a complete bastardization of the franchise" or learn to troll properly, either is fine :)
  16. buddah

buddah IncGamers Member

What's with the bizarre "theories" on why people don't like stuff...it's kind of rude and arrogant actually, to pretend to know their reasons for not liking something.
  17. Wildmoon

Wildmoon IncGamers Member

I like SC2's story from from the point that it revolves around Jim Raynor himself. Yes, it's not as epic as SC1 but I think it delivers what it supposed to. HotS will be another kind of story.
  18. AlexanderBarin

AlexanderBarin Clan Officer - US East Hardcore

Well Blizzard ain't about to write another Song of Ice and Fire for you, but story was never what made their games so good. Gameplay made their games so good.
  19. chriscowart

chriscowart IncGamers Member

OP missed the fact that the Wrath video wasn't directly produced by Blizzard. That should clear up a lot of the misunderstanding.
  20. Brak

Brak IncGamers Member